PDA

View Full Version : GURPS Players in Northern VA

cmac
03-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Hello All,

I am pretty new to GURPS. I own and have read both basic books for GURPS 4e and really want to play it. Unfortunately, it seems there isn't many GURPS players in my area or I haven't found them yet.

I have been playing a Rolemaster FRP game but tbh I'm getting sick of all the damn charts.

So any GURPS players in the NOVA area?

Thanks

cliff
03-18-2009, 07:49 PM
I have been playing a Rolemaster FRP game but tbh I'm getting sick of all the damn charts.

So any GURPS players in the NOVA area?

Not I, but I just had to comment. Rolemaster has to be the only system where the switch to GURPS can be made because you're looking for a system that's more rules-light. :lol:

fmitchell
03-19-2009, 03:37 AM
Rolemaster has to be the only system where the switch to GURPS can be made because you're looking for a system that's more rules-light. :lol:

GURPS character creation can get really complex. At the table, though, it's about as complex than D&D 3.x, sometimes less if you don't use all the combat rules.

cmac
03-19-2009, 09:34 AM
The biggest difficulty with GURPS is character Generation. Soooo many options. You really have to know what you want (concept) before you even think about cracking the books. No character classes is kind of nice.

RM is a pretty easy game. Just all the damn charts for combat..it gets frustrating. I also believe that GURPS isn't more complicated than anyother game out there.

cliff
03-19-2009, 02:18 PM
heh. Fair enough... I'm a huge GURPS fan, myself, but the general gaming line has largely been that it's just too complex. I personally enjoy crunchy bits, but Rolemaster is just a bit too tedious.

cmac
03-19-2009, 05:23 PM
I think what really scares people is just Character Generation. You have to be a bit creative and actually think.

Plus since it is a game system that it wasn't designed for a particular Setting/Genre kind of hurts it. I come back that "thinking" thing again. I really believe that once people actually look at it and give it a shot they convert to a GURPS player.

Another thing that gets me is RM players toute that its' combat is realistic. Sorry, I don't bite. GURPS has it down much better than any other system I have scene.

Anyway I'll stop ranting.

Any Players in Nothern VA yet?

cmac
04-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Well this one didn't go very far and still no game. One day

cliff
04-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Sorry, man... tried to banter here enough to keep it bumped and in people's faces, but it sounds like no dice.

While it won't necessarily find you a GURPS game, a good place to get in touch with local gaming community is to go to WotC's Game Days, that's how I got into my current gaming group... the next one is in May.

cmac
04-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the heads up and I've been checking out other resources also.

Kaewin
04-30-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm from out here in Winchester, a little ways away. Going to ramp up a game in the next couple of weeks. Actually I have 3 separate groups and each is going to be their own team.

Wastelander75
09-10-2009, 04:58 PM
I am out in Front Royal, and I am getting ready to start up a gaem if anyone is intrested.