PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Mind Flayer's

Majin_Puar
03-17-2009, 01:49 AM
So we are having a little trouble with a Mind Flayer. So we were wondering if Protection from Evil would work to counter the Mind Flayers psionics (Mind Blast, Charm Monsters etc). Of course you might wanna check out Protection from Evil before you answer of course. Or, if you guys have any ideas to counter a 5th level Sorcerer Mind Flayer I would love to hear them.

nijineko
03-17-2009, 01:56 AM
protection from evil does protect against mental control, but it does not protect against non-controlling forms of psionics.

see www.d20srd.org for details.

baatin
03-24-2009, 06:22 PM
you could always go to the plane of limbo and get a group of githzerai they hate mind flayers tey have hunting parties for them and everything.

cpljarhead
03-24-2009, 06:53 PM
best way to handle mind flayers is with characters with large will saves if i remember right

yukonhorror
03-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Poor attempt at being silly, but can't help myself.

I don't suppose wearing tinfoil on your head would help?

As for a serious reply, I think they are spell-like abilities, so they provoke AOO. Would have to go toe to toe with the guy and hope you keep your brain.

InMediaRes
03-24-2009, 11:54 PM
Then you have to worry about the fashion police, a group of planar beings from the realm of lawful absurdities. Personally I would take the illithids, most PCs don't think about fashion.

InvestFDC
03-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Can you summon elementals or undead? These are immune to the mind blast. Also, try spells that focus on fort. saves and bypass magic resistance, such as cloud kill. Something that hits Reflex but bypasses magic resistance also is good. I think poison might be a good bet due to the low Fortitude save as well.

wizarddog
04-02-2009, 01:29 AM
My players encountered a mindflayer one time that nearly killed them when they tried to charm his brain dead Ogre thralls. it stunned two PC's and a Ogre slew a PC with a crit. The smart player teleported them all out. Then after a buffed up, resurrection, and tatics, they teleported back in and took down the bastard with sneak attack, spells, and other nasty attacks. He was down in about 2 rds.

It boils down in being prepared.

cpljarhead
04-02-2009, 07:27 AM
how can you be prepared unless you have an idea that one exists where you adventure. the best thing to do is just wing it and hope for the best

wizarddog
04-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Well the spell way is to use those divination spells sitting in the book (that good ol' 4e removed)

But the easy way is to have your rogue/ranger/scout/ninja/spellthief/monk scout ahead. That's what all those ranks and hide and move silently are for. A well cast invisibility also works. Once you got the gist of the challenge then you can buff and storm the castle.

Not every group can do this. But If you simply plow ahead, then you deal with the challenge in that way. ;)