PDA

View Full Version : D&D Player's Handbook 2 Excerpts: Primal Avatar

PnP News Bot
03-12-2009, 11:00 PM
http://www.wizards.com/books/images/dnd_logo_small.jpg

Check out this new article Wizards of the Coast posted recently:

Player's Handbook 2 Excerpts: Primal Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20090313)

In today’s final Player's Handbook 2 preview, we introduce a new epic destiny for primal characters -- the primal avatar!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-15-2009, 10:23 PM
There are so many cool items coming out for 4E, i just wish it held the fascination the older editions held for me. :frown:

kirksmithicus
03-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Don't worry, you will be assimilated.

I on the other hand, am apparently the opposite. I think most games (4e included) suffer from a hyper inflation of resources or alternate character classes. I mostly just stick to the core book for classes. Having said that, I'm going to the National (D&D) Nerd Day game at a local game store this coming Saturday to sit in on some games, even though I know it's all just a promotion for the PHB2. What can I say, :ohwell: I'm a whore for free stuff.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Would it surpise you to hear that i hope you're right. I'd like to be assimilated. I'm also a whore for free stuff.

kirksmithicus
03-18-2009, 10:57 AM
If you have an xbox, see if you can find the game Gladius. It is exactly what 4e would be like if it were a video game. Forget that MMO crap, they shamelessly stole Gladius and made it into a P&P game. :D

Valdar
03-18-2009, 01:16 PM
I think I'm sated. Now that Bard, Druid, Barbarian, Gnome, and Half-Orc are back, I'm not sure I need PHB3 or Eberron.

The only "core" class that's still missing is Monk, and I'm doing fine without it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Whereas i am looking foward to the monk class. One can hope.

yukonhorror
03-18-2009, 01:41 PM
I have mentioned this in other posts, but I'll say it here too. I think the avenger could make for a pretty decent monk replacement. With a little flavor messing, have unarmed atks be equivalent to a weapon an avenger would use, figure some way around opting out of using implements/magic weapons, and replace channel divinity with maybe a speed burst or "flurry of blows" type ability, monk wouldn't be TOO far off its 3.5e incarnation. Can't remember all of its nuances from 1e, so will focus on its 3.5e mechanics.

Of course the playtest comes out within a month or so, so you won't have to make up much, but that's how I would work out the monk (right now).

With respect to flavor, instead of killing for your god, you seek out the most worthy opponent and force an even matchup to test your prowess. Instead of channeling divine power, you channel power from your own spirit. Of course, take some discretion in terms of power selection (choose things that fit monk concept better), but I say it works.

Aidan
03-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Quivering Palm FTW!

PHB2 almost completes my desired classes, but I still miss the monk. Also, Devas, Avengers, Invokers, Shaman and Sorcerors are a bonus. I really never cared for half-orcs or gnomes, so I don't care either way that they're back.

Valdar
03-19-2009, 10:07 PM
My concern about Monk is that I'll have to get an entire PHB for it, which means paying a lot for one class. They've already stated that Monk will be the Ki power source. That means getting a bunch of other Ki classes like Ninja and Samurai (?) that I don't see using, particularly because NPCs don't have classes anymore for the most part, so it would only be the players using them.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-19-2009, 10:34 PM
As much i as i like Monks, seems i'm the only one willing to play one, and when the mood hits me. If i dont have the source books for particular classes others want to play, i just ask them to bring their <legal> source and i am fine with it (i dont allow black market stuff). :eek:

Truth be told, i only ever had one player buy black market material. When i told him his sources needed to be legally purchased, he was cool with it and brought a brand new shiny-glossy copy to our next game.:D

Valdar
03-19-2009, 10:47 PM
My other (minor) concern about Monk is that the game is already striker-heavy, and the recommended party of 5 is two defenders and one of each other role. PHBII gave us all of one Defender.

lf Samurai makes it into PHB3, I hope they make it a Defender, even though everything I know about kendo says they should be a Striker. Especially since it would be nice if there were a Defender who could do something with a ranged weapon apart from making ranged basic attacks with it-

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Striker heavy or not striker heavy, if the party wants it, i will adjust adventures accordingly. This is not to say i make it easy (remember, i am the crit/fumble DM). I like testing my players characters all the time, and after a few levels of "orientation," then will i be less forgiving to characters for making "stupid" decisions. Yes, my dark side likes to play, so after around 5-6 level, watch your back!