PDA

View Full Version : Requesting a Play by Post Forum

Farcaster
03-12-2009, 10:47 PM
In the past, whenever someone has wanted to have a new play-by-post game forum created, it has been very much a manual process that requires members to send an admin (me) an email and then I have to go create the forum by hand. No more. We now have a new automated method, so if you're interested in creating a play-by-post forum, read on.

Step 1. Create a new social group (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/group.php?do=create) with the name of the play-by-post campaign and be sure to put it in the Play by Post category. This will be the name that shows up in the forums, so set it according to what you want to be shown there. In your social group, be sure to write up a brief description of your game, so that people who may be interested in playing can get the gist of your game from the group description. Key things to put in would be the system used, and a very brief description of where and when the game is set.

Step 2. If you are not a Community Supporter, your next step will be to send me a PM (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=1) with the name of the group you just created and a request to have a play-by-post forum added. I will then create a new forum for you -- trust me, this is a much easier and quick process for me than it was before.

If, however, you do have a Community Supporter (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/payments.php) account, you can create your own forum automatically by going into your new group page. At the bottom of the page, in the group navigation bar, you will see an option for "Create Forum". Click that link and your forum will be created and added to the Play-by-Post area (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43).

Notes: Unfortunately, you cannot use the "Discussions" feature of social groups at the moment for you play-by-post. Or, at least, you can't use the integrated dice roller with Discussions, so you probably will want a forum. You can also set your group up so that you must be a member to read the play-by-post. You can do this by setting your group options to be moderated or invite-only.

I will be converting existing play-by-post forums over to the social group method eventually. If you are a current play-by-post GM and want your group moved sooner rather than later so that you can take advantage of the other social group features, send me a PM and I will try to move your group over as soon as possible.

Enjoy! If you have questions about the new process, feel free to send me a private message.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Cool, good to know. Thanks for the update.

spotlight
03-24-2009, 02:41 PM
One querry. How do I become a community supporter when I do no money trans on line. Just my little quirk, don't like putting info out there to be hacked. I have a bussiness account at one bank and a personal account at another and phiscally transfer money between the two, that's how quirky I get.

Farcaster
03-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Hmm.. I dunno. I suppose we could do manual subscriptions. PayPal also supports check transactions, I believe. What would be the optimal solution for you?

spotlight
03-27-2009, 11:09 AM
I suppose I could/should, at least, open a PayPal account ...

kirksmithicus
03-30-2009, 02:23 PM
One querry. How do I become a community supporter when I do no money trans on line. Just my little quirk, don't like putting info out there to be hacked. I have a bussiness account at one bank and a personal account at another and phiscally transfer money between the two, that's how quirky I get.

You should look into the paypal thing. But there is no way around using an account or card number online, even with paypal. They (paypal) are going to want a this information too. But at least with Paypal you only have that information in on place and they shouldn't give the information to third parties. They also charge fees on transactions just like a bank too.

The only way I can think to get around using your account or card number online is to find someone you can send money to and then have them pay online for you.

I only charge a nominal fee for such things, say...... 4,000,000% :D

Farcaster
03-30-2009, 03:01 PM
The only way I can think to get around using your account or card number online is to find someone you can send money to and then have them pay online for you.

I think that was in part the idea behind PayPal. All of the community subscriptions go through PayPal, so P&PG never sees or knows anything about your credit card information. So, all you have to judge is whether you trust PayPal.

But, I know there has been at least one member in the past who has paid via check through PayPal. I don't know if that required them to create an account with PayPal or not, but it is worth checking out. If it doesn't, then that would allow you pay by check and keep the entire monetary portion of the transaction offline.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-30-2009, 04:40 PM
There was something called BIDPAY a few years back that i was a member of. Basically, they would confirm a money order was sent. Just another possibility.

spotlight
03-30-2009, 04:42 PM
My son uses a paypal account to pay some of his out of state bills, child support and such. He tells me he takes cash to a check cashing place that does money orders and such. That sounds like paypal doesn't really need a card number. I think I'll investigate that.

kirksmithicus
03-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Yes, you can pay with an e-check or whatever they call it. I merely meant that if you want to start a permanent paypal account they will want that information for verification purposes.

spotlight
03-30-2009, 05:47 PM
HA! Now, that does make a difference, doesn't it. I am an illuminated fellow, even the IRS doesnt have my e-mail, much less my bank number. I still get my refund check by snail mail. Still, I will check them out and discover what ever I may.

nijineko
06-13-2009, 12:01 PM
did it ever work out, spotlight?

spotlight
06-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Not yet. Have been way to busy to go check out any of the 'stores.' Got do that soon, where's my schedual? Digs thru purse, looking for a Black Book.

DMZ-2112
10-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Farcaster --

Do your individual PbP forums support subforums within them?

Farcaster
10-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Not at this time no.

DMZ-2112
10-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks!

nijineko
10-29-2009, 11:51 AM
come to think of it spotlight... if you've ever used your ssn to get a tin, or in school, or to set up any account, then they do have your bank account number... if they care enough to track it down. ^^ not sure about email though... i can think of a few ways that that can be found through associated information, however. good luck on your efforts! let us know if it works. =D

spotlight
11-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Incorrest assumption there Nin!!! Banks are not allowed to give anyone one your account number, in fact, if you try to get it yourself, you are ussually required to show two forms of ID. Even the good old IRS has to get a court order to get to your bank number. Few things are that secure, including the internet, which is why I have yet to trust companies that use it to transfer funds. I have enough trouble trusting my bank, which only proves my susceptibility to para annoy ya.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Oh. BTW. As far as e-mail goes, strangers can read that easy enough. About ten years ago, I mentioned in one to a friend that I had studied ancient Greek. To this day, I still get junk mail written in Greek. If it were several different languages, instead of just that one, I might not be so suspicious about it.

HaeshkaManju
09-16-2010, 02:40 PM
How long does it take to receive the community supporter status? (after making the paypal payment). Is it automated? or something done manually by Farcaster?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-16-2010, 02:45 PM
How long does it take to receive the community supporter status? (after making the paypal payment). Is it automated? or something done manually by Farcaster?

For me, and I renewed just a few days ago, was almost instantaneous.

HaeshkaManju
09-16-2010, 02:48 PM
ah-- I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was looking for the "create group" button. Unfortunately I am horribly color-blind. Someone explained to me that a lot of the buttons are in green (i cannot distinguish green from white, among many other colors)... so I was hunting around a lot for the appropriate buttons to create a group

nijineko
12-18-2011, 11:35 PM
any chance of getting this thread stickied, Farcaster?

nijineko
01-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Please Sticky This Thread, Farcaster! ^^