PDA

View Full Version : When you join the Chat

Soft Serve
03-11-2009, 09:40 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I think this is an excelent idea.

When you join the chat.

You should talk....

Sorry I just think it's an amazing suggestion. :D

GoddessGood
03-12-2009, 08:35 AM
You mean the chat room isn't just for a more active form of lurking? Zounds!

I really appreciate that the chat room is being highlighted more and is now equipped with dice. I just wish I had more time to goof around on it or maybe run a game. Being in 2 already ... I think I'd get in trouble with my boyfriend if I tried to pick up more :S

Soft Serve
03-12-2009, 09:47 AM
It's just like there will be 5 people in there 2 of whom are actually talking.

idk I think it is a good suggestion though, worthy of the suggestion box. :lol:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-12-2009, 10:43 AM
I show up once in a while just to say hello to my fellow gamers. I do wish there were more signed on to our chat site, perhaps one day soon.

cplmac
03-12-2009, 11:14 AM
That is why when I am on the chat, I try to say hello to each person that enters. Sometimes they seem to come into and then out of the chat so fast that you don't get to acknowledge them.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-12-2009, 11:49 AM
That is why when I am on the chat, I try to say hello to each person that enters. Sometimes they seem to come into and then out of the chat so fast that you don't get to acknowledge them.
Reason #542 why this is a great site for gamers!

I have to admit, everytime i step in to the chat room to say hello, everyone in the room is extremely friendly and do say their hellos, ususally before i even get my hellos texted out to everyone in the chat room.:D

spotlight
03-12-2009, 12:08 PM
My son has a problem like this. he logs on his comp, it is set up to log to several places at once. His friends will know he is there but others who donot know him would call him rude for not talking. He is talking, just not there or there. Or over there.

I would call him an idiot, but I did not raise no idiot. snicker,snicker,

GoddessGood
03-12-2009, 12:26 PM
My old GM did that. Just log on whenever one of his computers is on. He has three computers (a home desktop, a work desktop and a laptop) and usually at least two of them are on. Obviously he can't be looking at all three at once, and usually he's not looking at any of them ... but he's still logged in to chat. He'll often say with a perturbed tone that people are too impatient and even said once that I sounded needy because of how many times I pinged him to say hello. My response is that people sign on to chat programs to chat. If I don't want to talk to people online, I don't sign on to a chat program. Just makes more sense to me that way.

spotlight
03-12-2009, 12:42 PM
I agree, I just find it rude to be a wallflower and not really be 'there'. It is like going to a quilting bee without a needle or swatch ...

Soft Serve
03-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Plus you know. The P&PG thing has at the bottom left above the actual text box this little down arrow that says "BRB, Away, and Busy"

So if you aren't actually there...There's those options of status.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-14-2009, 01:15 PM
I have found that most in the chat room are very friendly and responsive. Of course, there are a few that are non-responsive, but the number is always small and so i have always figured that they were busy and away from the computer, so therefore i never took it personal.

It's no secret that i use to frequent PAIZO, but the folks and the camaraderie here is second to none. Sure, every once in a while i check things out there, but here, the professionalism and participatin level makes this site the best on the net for gamers. My opinion.

Soft Serve
03-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Yeah the site is amazing, and the people here too. But the only reason I join the chat is for games or to (call me crazy) chat. Not sit there and watch 3 people not say anything...at all....ever...

:lol:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Gotta vent: why doesnt Adobe Flash support 64 bit technology? I cant use chat w/o it and i dont care to use my 32E anymore. It's not like its new technology. I wrote them and told them that the fun is over and to get those programmers working for their "legit. excuse" has expired.

Okay, i feel better, now... :focus:

Soft Serve
03-15-2009, 07:03 PM
haha vicious evils of technology are out to get you.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Sometimes you just want to slap some people. LOL

Soft Serve
03-15-2009, 08:21 PM
I like to throw technology.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Anything specific? :boxing:
--- Merged from Double Post ---
My only complaint is that i have to open chat on E32, and not E64, which is what i am always on. I see 13 gamers on chat at this moment, but since i am working on my final at the moment and therefore cant close E64 to open E32, i cant say hello. Sucks for me!:confused:

Anyone have any connections with Adobe? It is time for them to make their software compatible with 64. Yes i know, i'm still grumbling about this. Think i'll go and rake my zen garden, now.:mad:

Farcaster
03-16-2009, 12:25 AM
You could try using the Ajax chat instead -- http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/chat/ajax/

nijineko
03-16-2009, 03:33 AM
farcaster to the rescue!

about the come-n-goes, i've experienced where the chat goofed and loaded up the basic window, but then froze. it was reported to me that i appeared and disappeared again swiftly. fortunately i reloaded the window which made it work that time. i wonder how many people that happens to?

GoddessGood
04-15-2009, 09:14 AM
I know it's probably written down somewhere nearby, but a quick search didn't reveal it. Is there a way to write in an action when you roll in the chatroom? Something like /roll=Fighter Bob swings his sword ferociously 10d10.

Soft Serve
04-15-2009, 09:23 AM
I know it's probably written down somewhere nearby, but a quick search didn't reveal it. Is there a way to write in an action when you roll in the chatroom? Something like /roll=Fighter Bob swings his sword ferociously 10d10.

no, it gives you the IRC warning or it messes up the roll.

You could do the /me command before a roll.
/me swings their sword

but it will say
GoddessGood swings their sword

which is why there have been a lot of name-changing requests.

GoddessGood
04-15-2009, 10:50 AM
harrumph. I could swear I'd seen someone do it before. I know it's possible on the forums. Oh well.

yukonhorror
04-15-2009, 10:55 AM
"hey I didn't get a harumph out of that guy" - Blazing saddles
:focus:

GoddessGood
04-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Heehee, great movie, and there are many more quotables. Haven't seen it in years, tho.

yukonhorror
04-24-2009, 12:27 AM
I would like to add an addendum to the original post.

Be friendly to those that do enter. I entered today to chat with a player for the game I gm to help him set up his character, and somehow got pushed into a very uncalled for edition war.

Yes I like 4e D&D, but there is no need to be all huffy about it. MOST people on this site are generally friendly, but I guess not all.

Soft Serve
04-24-2009, 09:08 AM
(way to hit lv 19 Yukon!)

The chat is very dangerous for some reason now. Apparently some people aren't as good at avoiding the whole getting-sucked-into-inappropriate-conversations anymore. Like the annonymous post, and the first time I've ever seen Farcaster have to Ban someone.

(which might actually not be a lot considering I've only been here a few months....)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-24-2009, 09:59 AM

Be friendly to those that do enter. I entered today to chat with a player for the game I gm to help him set up his character, and somehow got pushed into a very uncalled for edition war.

Yes I like 4e D&D, but there is no need to be all huffy about it. MOST people on this site are generally friendly, but I guess not all.
I'm amazed that the hard-core loyalists are still bothered about editions. We all have our favorites, why not respect others for having their favorites.

cplmac
04-24-2009, 10:24 AM

While I have not seen this happen while I am on the chat, I will try to keep an eye open for it. If it does start to happen, perhaps I can get them to take that particular discussion to a separate private room for those that wish to debate the issue.

spotlight
04-24-2009, 10:25 AM
I agree Thoth. I, myself have not held any intrest for the latest Eds. in a lllooonnnggg time, but I sure try not to berate those who like the latest or greatest. I still like to play fantacy characters and games, just not so much D&D. But I do find myself using my old books and notes when trying to create a new senario. Go figure!

yukonhorror
04-24-2009, 12:15 PM
the conversation wasn't appropriate just the attitude of the person. They basically stuck their noses up at me because I like 4e D&D. I don't think that is called for. I don't mind a polite intellectual debate on the nuances of why I prefer 4e over 3e, but it just seemed they were looking for a fight, and mistakes in logic are a pet peeve of mine.

If you would like to police it, go ahead, but I just wanted to remind people to be civil and polite, regardless of people's differences.

Dark
04-24-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm amazed that the hard-core loyalists are still bothered about editions. We all have our favorites, why not respect others for having their favorites.

Very well said indeed to each their own. :)