PDA

View Full Version : class construction engine

yukonhorror
03-10-2009, 05:36 PM
I remember there was a pretty nifty class construction engine for 3e and 3.5e that produced pretty balanced classes (more often than not).

Has someone come across one for 4e. I like making homebrew classes, but I have a tendency of making them overpowered.

Valdar
03-10-2009, 06:22 PM
I think such a thing will be easier to make after PHB2 releases (in a week)- until then, we've still only seen one controller, and in a week we'll have three.

You can assume some basic things about classes so far- hit points for all classes of the same type are the same; final armor class is about the same for all classes in a role (i.e. Defenders who do not get heavy armor get AC from other sources), at-will, encounter, and daily powers do 1, 2, and 3 dice of damage, minus some for notable side-effects, etc.

It would be difficult, but not impossible, to come up with a point scheme that works for every printed class and can be extended, but I think most of us are currently playing the existing classes through once before making our own.

ChaunceyK
03-10-2009, 08:38 PM
final armor class is about the same for all classes in a role (i.e. Defenders who do not get heavy armor get AC from other sources

This is something that bothers me about current D&D. Everyone seems to have a similar AC, regardless of weather they're wearing Light or Heavy armor. I see its benefit to the PC's, but it just doesn't feel right.

Oh well...didn't mean to hijack the thread, just something I've thought about & you happened to mention it.

Valdar
03-11-2009, 11:21 AM
This is something that bothers me about current D&D. Everyone seems to have a similar AC, regardless of weather they're wearing Light or Heavy armor. I see its benefit to the PC's, but it just doesn't feel right.

Oh well...didn't mean to hijack the thread, just something I've thought about & you happened to mention it.

Yeah, this takes away from character diversity, but it had to happen. CR was a mess because you really had no way of knowing what a given party's capabilities were (or worse yet, CR limited character diversity because there were a lot of inferior choices that could get your party killed.) It's much easier to design a challenging encounter now- a Swordmage plays differently from a Fighter, but still has about the same staying power, so you don't have to customize the game difficulty based on party capabilities, since they're pretty much known.