PDA

View Full Version : memorable character deaths

yukonhorror
03-10-2009, 11:54 AM
I thought we could share memorable character deaths. I have two.

We were fighting a nest of stirges. One attaches itself to me. My weapon is too big to attack it, and I am not strong enough to do anything with my bare fists, so I ask my fighter friend (18/00 str [greatest roll ever]) to help me out. She attacks it with her handaxe with a roll of 1. The DM makes her reroll the dice to see if she accidentally hits me. 20, then rolls max damage. Goodbye head.

Second is not as dramatic, but still depressing. We had to swim in the cave to move on. I rolled 3 bad rolls in a row and drowned. Not very memorable, until you consider what happened next. They fought the big dragon, and I didn't get one exp pt or one ounce of treasure and had to watch from the sidelines the whole fight.

InvestFDC
03-10-2009, 12:16 PM
You had a very bad DM to keep you out of the fight due to bad die rolls. You probably should have just left and found a new group, if no one spoke up in your defense.

yukonhorror
03-10-2009, 12:38 PM
in a town of 3000 people, it is not an option. I think my DM would have maybe allowed it, but the rest of the group said no (they didn't want to share)

InvestFDC
03-10-2009, 01:19 PM
But you should have been able to make a new guy so you could play. What a crock.

yukonhorror
03-10-2009, 01:57 PM
i did after they were showing off their new digs.

spotlight
03-10-2009, 02:12 PM
I have had many charcter deaths, but none very memorable. unless you count frozen by white dragon breath, turned to stone by a trapped statue, ( grabbed another charater already turned to stone to attempt to remove him from touching said statue), three characters out party of eight lost right there. Slid down deep hole, never found body and GM never revieled fate. Over run and hacked to death by horde of orcs. Slashed to death by wererats. Murdered by other player characters (lg, no less). Lots of others but non realy remarkable.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-10-2009, 04:56 PM
I thought we could share memorable character deaths. I have two.

We were fighting a nest of stirges. One attaches itself to me. My weapon is too big to attack it, and I am not strong enough to do anything with my bare fists, so I ask my fighter friend (18/00 str [greatest roll ever]) to help me out. She attacks it with her handaxe with a roll of 1. The DM makes her reroll the dice to see if she accidentally hits me. 20, then rolls max damage. Goodbye head.

Second is not as dramatic, but still depressing. We had to swim in the cave to move on. I rolled 3 bad rolls in a row and drowned. Not very memorable, until you consider what happened next. They fought the big dragon, and I didn't get one exp pt or one ounce of treasure and had to watch from the sidelines the whole fight.
It happens! Bad DM? Not from what i read. I would disagree with another poster and say that your DM played it right. Good for him. Sometimes, through a series of bad rolls, you just die. I've played rpgs for over 30 years and sometimes one just has a bad rolling streak. If ever i played in a game where we ignored rolls such as the ones you listed so as to keep someone alive, i'd be the one walking out the door.

I remember playing years ago a Paladin that had a charmed life. He was great, then through a streak of horrible rolls, he was decapitated. It sucked, but his death was memorable. If the DM would have ignored my bad rolls and kept him alive, he wouldnt have meant as much to me and i would have discarded him knowing he died fair and square.

yukonhorror
03-10-2009, 05:32 PM
I agree, if there is no fear or reality of death, there is less risk involved. Just irritating.

He was a good DM, just a jerk. To put it perfectly, look at comic book guy from simpsons. That was our DM, but with a deeper voice. Rude, callous, pony tail, goatee, shorts (even in below zero weather), birkenstocks, shirt that didn't quite cover his whole abdomen, etc...

However, he made a great game (for the most part). Sometimes the solutions were too elaborate and specific for us simple high schoolers to muster up, and he was super stingy in terms of allocating treasure and exp pts, but great stories.

I digress. Forum is on character death, not DM's of yore.

I remember another one. City enveloped with a big purple evil dome. Some guy got hold of some super-undead artifact and turned the city into a necropolis. We all knew, touch dome=bad stuff. Our wild man of the group runs at full speed towards it (thinking momentum will push him past the super-evilness). Turns into a wraith on contact and the rest of the party barely survives the encounter.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-10-2009, 05:43 PM
I had a thief once(i rarely played thieves) that was on his first adventure. Well, travelling for two days and having an interesting pub encounter, he thought he was the $#it. The next day my thief encountered a tall block wall, was volunteered to climb it, failed rolls miserably, and fell off the wall and... cruntch. Dead? Yes. Embarrassing? Definitely, a yes. Funny? Everyone had a good laugh, but i still remember him fondly to this day.

Another fond memory: While playing what i recall as B1, my fighter walked into a room and up above the rooms inner doorway, he was stung my a carrien crawler. Very memorable for me for i was definitely in my youth. I had another character die (a reroll) due to being greedy(same module). You see, he didnt know that rot grubs lived in garbage(all he saw was some shiny objects reflecting off of his torchlight) or even that they even existed, well, he lost an arm on that one. Ah, good times.

And another fond memory: Had a character once encounter a pool of water with something shiny at the bottom. Anyone remember this classic encounter? Well, this was my first encounter with said description. He tied a rope around his characters waist and dived in. Um, lets just say that when the party successfully pulled that rope back out of the pool, i was only half the man i once was.

ChaunceyK
03-10-2009, 07:27 PM
You had a very bad DM to keep you out of the fight due to bad die rolls. You probably should have just left and found a new group, if no one spoke up in your defense.

I'm with Thoth on this one, I respectfully disagree. A series of bad rolls are no reason to call "do-over" any more than a series of good rolls are. Can you imagine that?...

DM: "Another (natural) roll over 15? I'm going to have to say no, you guys aren't hitting the monsters anymore."

PCs: "Why not??"

DM: "Too many good rolls in a row."

...nah, ain't happening.

:focus:

I had a Fighter once in the old days (original D&D), he was pretty good. Until one day a Wight hit him & drained a level. Disappointing, but not devastating, except that he hit a streak of bad rolls not long afterwards when it came to saving throws & such (it was at a level where his saving throws dropped because of the loss of level).

His end finally came when the party accidentally destroyed a...what was it called, I wanna say a Magic Jar? When someone's soul is trapped inside an object, one of those things. The trapped soul had possessed my Fighter, without our knowledge, trapping my Fighter's soul in its place. And then we destroyed the item, without realizing what it was or what had happened. It then went something like this...

DM: "Well, Pendor (my Fighter) says 'I think I've had enough of this whole adventuring thing, I'm getting out of here.'"

Us: "What? Why?"

DM: "He's walking away from the party."

Us: "Pendor, where are you going?!"

DM: "And with that, the Fighter turns around & hurls a fireball at the party. Give me his sheet."

...yeah, he was possessed by an evil Mage. So now we're fighting a 6' 8" inch, 300 pound Human Mage. We ended up killing him, though he did some major (but reparable) damage. Looking back, I think the better option might have been that if he started looking like he was going to die, he should've cast Fly on himself & flown off, never to be seen again. Until a future adventure, that is.

upidstay
03-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Was fighting against some sort of fire creatures who were trying to make a volcano erupt, that would have destroyed the village below it. Anyway, I was one of three on a flying carpet. We were strafing the critters in the caldera of the volcano with missle and spell fire. The were responding with globs of lava. Well, they hit the carpet with a 20. Series of bad rolls ensued and I fell 100 feet onto the stony rim of the volcano, then bounced into the lava. Splat then poof.

Moritz
03-11-2009, 05:56 PM
"Hey yall, watch this!"...

Omegaman
03-11-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't think i have had a character go past 5 levels in the last 3 years. They all seem to die pretty mundane deaths. The latest getting up from the floor when spinning blades came out and chopped him to bits. Before, jumping behind cover and being blasted to death by a magic missile (to a character that had previously given his soul to the devourer which meant i turned to ash instantly upon dying, no rezzing). Before that being turned into a rabbit and stepped on by a fellow player when i was not present at the session. :) All in all, varied, but mundane.

kirksmithicus
03-12-2009, 02:40 PM
My all time favorite was my half-second, 1st level Half-Orc assassin. Got bumped by nondescript fighter guy when he was walking into the bar at the start of the adventure. Now the guy wasn't wearing heavy armor or anything so I figure he's a nobody. My character gets into a verbal altercation with the NPC, insisting that he should apologize for bumping into me. He tells me to "piss off", so I tell the DM my character is going to piss on his boots. Turns out the guy is a 6th or 7th level Cavalier, and he kills my character with one hit. Everybody goes back to their beer.

Still makes me laugh.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-12-2009, 02:43 PM
My all time favorite was my half-second, 1st level Half-Orc assassin. Got bumped by nondescript fighter guy when he was walking into the bar at the start of the adventure. Now the guy wasn't wearing heavy armor or anything so I figure he's a nobody. My character gets into a verbal altercation with the NPC, insisting that he should apologize for bumping into me. He tells me to "piss off", so I tell the DM my character is going to piss on his boots. Turns out the guy is a 6th or 7th level Cavalier, and he kills my character with one hit. Everybody goes back to their beer.

Still makes me laugh.
Funny stuff. I've seen characters in my youth die this way. What i didnt know at that time-but know now-is that most bars are owned by retired fighters. Ouch!

InvestFDC
03-12-2009, 02:50 PM
We swam into a White dragn's lair via an underground river. To make a long story short, the Druid get's frozen solid by the breath weapon. We then used said frozen druid as a raft to make an expeditious retreat.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Here's another i recall: Ran from baddies (outnumbered) into a stone room (we were in the Underdark), 25 ft high, had another door on the other side. Well, once we locked ourselved in we tried to open the door on the other side of the room. Long story short, door was a fake, room started filling with water, and sadly, we drowned.

Reason #201 for having a well equipped caster of some type with a party, for you never know what challenges you'll come against when adventuring. Good memories.

cplmac
03-13-2009, 11:22 AM
The very first time I played D&D, I was playing the Dwarf fighter Flemin in the "Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth" campaign (S4). There was also a Human fighter, Ethelrede, that was of Chaotic Neutral alignment. The guy that was playing Ethelrede thought that it was fun having his horse bite other party members when they would be standing next to his horse. Needless to say that it was not that well liked by the other players. Finally the time came that Flemin was able to get bitten by the horse. The DM informs me of this and how much damage I took, which was not much. He then asked what I do. I told him that I punch the horse in the head. Rolled a natural 20 to hit. Before I rolled for the damage that I caused, the DM said that since I was holding my shield in the hand that I hit the horse with, the double damage would then get doubled due to the shield being metal. Maxed the damage roll, which killed the horse. The guy playing Ethelrede was mad. So when the party stopped to make camp for the night, him and another guy that was goofing off and was playing the character of Hockerbrecht, snuck away in the middle of the night when they were on watch together. Rest of the party finally wakes the next morning to discover the other two are gone, along with two of the horses. As we continue on, eventually there is a note passed to the DM. After reading it, he asks if they are sure that they want to do this. The answer was, "Yes". The party gets surprised by an attack of 6 javellins of lightning. Although none of us were hit by any of the javelins, none made the saving throw. We were all hit with a 120 points of damage which killed us all. Obviously, the rest of us were a quite POed about this (keep in mind that this is a bunch of Marines playing this). The plan was that the other 2 were going to take all of the gear that the rest of us had, but they climbed inside Hockerbrecht's bag of holding to hide after throwing the javelins. When they said that they run over to grab the stuff, the DM tells that they don't know if we are all dead or not because of jumping inside the bag of holding. They tell the DM that they climb back out. He made them roll a Dex. check to see if they could get out. By the time they did, they were staring at 3 Hill Giants that had come to see what made the loud noise. The giants had surprise and got to go first. They never got to make a roll at the giants.

ChaunceyK
03-14-2009, 09:03 AM
<snip!>

NICE!! I'm not one for seeing a whole party get killed, but I do like seeing smartass players get their comeuppance.

spotlight
03-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Nice, I'll have to remember that one about a bitting horse, to remind players that characters don't know everything about the critters thay meet.

As for the 'bag of holding', it was my assumption that anything put in had to be taken out, not that anything could get out on its own. A dex roll in my game would have had a few minuses on it. But the 'wondering' monsters (Giants) is about right. After all, the GM is God aMighty, sort of.

And I have had GMs adk me if I was sure I wanted to do certain things. Best answer, "It's in character." But I have never tried to screw the whole party, just one or two members. Yeah, that's right, I've been known to be a smart-arse also, now and then.

baatin
03-16-2009, 10:20 PM
my first dnd character was the most memorable death my characters have suffered. he and the rest of the group were walking and i was taking up the rear of the group when i heard scuddling behind me i turned drawing my sword the scuddling was a funny looking little creature seeming harmless so i just stood there and it touched my armor which then rusted leaving me with just my shield the hurried off after the so we would not lose any more equipment then after successfully getting passed all the traps we ran into to flesh golems the other four members of the group ran to fight one leaving me with the other by myself needless to say i lost when it punched me and my chest caved in after defeating both golems my former party looted me and then could get pass the mimic so the cut a chunk out of me poisoned it and fed it to the door which melted into a sticky goo which to cross the group turned me into a bridge the lich we freed tried to resurect me but my roll was off by one.

this was the most memorable death ive seen

Envikin
03-17-2009, 02:29 PM
I was playing a thief that wasn't quite right in the head. Near the bottom of a dungeon the party encountered a black portal on the wall. Somebody triggered it and it released one Grell? (the floating brain with a beak and tentacles) after the other. We killed the first 2-3 before realizing there was probably an endless supply. My bright idea was to charge through the portal and see what could be done on the other side. Needless to say the portal wasn't a two way street. I did the cartoon splat against the wall, was grabbed by the next wave of tentacles and crushed. Upside was they stopped coming out after that and the party finished exploring the dungeon.

nijineko
03-18-2009, 06:09 AM
taking a hit for the team. ^^ did they at least attempt to bring you back?

Vulture
03-18-2009, 09:53 AM
my most memorable character death? we were rading the ruins of an old castle, a castle inhabbited by goblins, not hobgoblins or bugbears just noirmal puny goblins. we were just inside when we were ambushed by several goblin archers my Half-orc decided that now was a good time to rage and i flew into a rage, nex thing i know is i take a hail storm of arrors and i was left with no hit points be fore i could even throw my dagger, we all got a laugh over that.

Envikin
03-18-2009, 10:29 AM
taking a hit for the team. ^^ did they at least attempt to bring you back?

No they didn't. That character was always getting them into too much trouble and at the time I wasn't that great of a thief anyway. That was early in my RP career and everyone in that campaign went through a couple of characters before each of us found a good fit.

Panthro82
04-28-2009, 05:41 AM
This is a great thread!

piss on his boots...lol omg my buddy who DM's would kill my next 5 characters within 3 minutes after I created them just to spite that action if I ever did it.

I was climbing a small mountain to get to this secluded town. My party was below waiting for me to get to the top so I could secure a rope for them to climb up easily. when all of a sudden I think it was orcs started shooting arrows at me. They all missed (my DM was on a mission to kill my character), so a couple of the arrows hit a spot above me and caused pieces of rock to start falling. I had to roll savings throws every round to see if I kept my balance and to see if I kept climbing. I made 8 rounds of successfull rolls in a row(neg. mods and all). I was within a couple feet of the top when the DM just hand of gods me. Didnt even give me a chance to roll just said, your hands got tired and you lost your grip. You fell to your death. It sticks out cause I felt so cheated.

Oldgamer
05-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I was playing a 9th level ranger ... a well loved ranger too, I had painstakingly brought him up from 1st level in AD&D to 9th, which is a LOT harder than it is now. We were playing the Against the Giants modules, and I can't remember which kind of giants they were, but we did something tactically stupid ... we walked right up a narrow, 10' wide IIRC, gorge with 30' unscalable walls. Next thing you know, the giants were all over the canyon walls throwing boulders which ended up being more than just large missile ... but more like large bowling balls because it was a pretty good incline we'd been walking up. So if the boulder missed the first in line ... the DM rolled for each member behind them until it found a squishy stop. It wasn't a TPK, I think actually mine was the only death ... but I never fell for such a trick again.

nijineko
05-02-2009, 06:13 PM
the most memorable death was when my sandshifter got into a mageduel with an evil loremaster refereed by some djinn. both of us wound up down to single digit hp... when he managed to cast a spell despite being drained to 1 str. sigh. magic missile.

that was my favorite character, and boy did i feel his death... it took me an entire week to recover.

fortunately, the rest of the party managed to find what the vengeful djinn were looking for, and in such a way that proved that the evil loremaster had tricked the djinn into thinking we had taken it. they gave us the right to punish the evil loremaster. we decided that they had been guarding this stuff for so long that they must be bored. so we gave the loremaster back to them for however long they wanted as his punishment. ^^ they were pleased with that, and the next morning we found the material component for a resurrection in front of our tent.

so it wasn't a permanent death, and was i relieved!

(interestingly enough, this was also during the against the giants adventure!)

tesral
05-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Bema Odinson, with a thousand foes bearing down on him and he alone standing. Griped his sword and grinned. His honor guard in Valhalla would be mighty indeed. And has he fell with the song of the Valkyries in his ears it was indeed. Over a hundred of their number slain and he made his last stand on a pile of men.

Malruhn
05-04-2009, 11:02 PM
That was beautiful, Tesral! That's the way PC's SHOULD die.

I once rolled up a most wonderful character. A female bard (2nd edition), and she was as wonderful a character as I could dream. A natural 18 CHR - daughter of a minor noble, so she had access to a great music teacher - and a gift, a spectacular traveling harp (would be masterwork in 3.X rules). Her first adventures were daring and great... she was on her way to being a truly memorable character.

Fast forward to second level - some in the party were third - and we get to the home of an evil sorcerer. Let me preface this by saying that I had a whopping EIGHT hit points. We got trapped and the barbarian blew a 1' hole in a wall, through which I stuck my head. Nothing to the left. Nothing to the right. Nothing straight ahead.

I peeked upward, and saw a hell hound - and failed my save. I took a face-full of flamified breath weapon - and it took me from full hit points to zero.

I looked at the situation, the character, the future... and after 25 years I still get misty eyed. She survived, but lost her beauty, lost her voice, and I lost a great character. I still think this was worse than a character death.

tesral
05-04-2009, 11:51 PM
I looked at the situation, the character, the future... and after 25 years I still get misty eyed. She survived, but lost her beauty, lost her voice, and I lost a great character. I still think this was worse than a character death.

Low hit points never go first.

Oldgamer
05-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Rogues go first :D That's where Uncle Trapspringer got his name :laugh:

Malruhn
05-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Yeah, the problem is that my bard was as close to a rogue as we had - and rogues almost ALWAYS have low hit points.