PDA

View Full Version : New Star Trek Movie

GoddessGood
03-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Coming May 8th, 2009
http://www.startrekmovie.com/

Kirk - Chris Pine
Spock - Zachary Quinto (a.k.a. Sylar from Heroes)
Scotty - Simon Pegg (a.k.a. Shaun from Shaun of the Dead)
Bones - Karl Urban (a.k.a. Eomer from LOTR and Vaako from Chronicles of Riddick)
Sulu - John Cho (a.k.a. Harold from the Harold and Kumar movies)
Uhura - Zoe Saldana (a.k.a. Anamaria from Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl)
Chekov - Anton Yelchin

And many, many more. I for one am excited to go see this, and I'm not usually a sci-fi person. I've seen all the star trek movies and loved the first two series. Liking Star Trek is something I picked up from my mother, oddly enough, since she is otherwise into typical female things (People magazine, make-up, Oprah, etc.). I don't think I'll be able to see this one with her, though, judging from the trailer. She doesn't like lots of crash-bang, action-packed, noisy movies.

Farcaster
03-10-2009, 12:42 PM
I will definitely go and see it. Perhaps it will inspire me to pull out my old FASA books and run a Star Trek: TOS game. :)

Rochin
03-10-2009, 01:08 PM
I am looking forward to this movie. Since there is not a new Star Trek series on TV, I miss my fix. From the TV spots and such, it looks very intense. Though going to see it alone(since my wife is not a sci-fi fan) is always a bother, lol. Both of my boys( 9 and 6) are not ones to want to watch a whole movie, unless it has batman or a cartoon character in it.

spotlight
03-10-2009, 01:16 PM
I will probably go see it. However, I think they should have changed the characters instead of just the actors. It may not have the same impact with the face changes.

We will see.

mrken
03-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Watching this thing once just ain't gonna cut it; I'm gonna have to own it. :D

GoddessGood
03-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Hmm, maybe we can get a Dallas watching party together when this thing comes out. I'll mention it at our meet tonight :)

Skunkape
03-10-2009, 02:15 PM
My wife has even agreed to see this in the theater. She likes sci-fi, but hates going to movie theaters, so this is a definate win for me!:D

Valdar
03-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Definite must-see, along with Wolverine, coming out about the same time.

Dark
03-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Oh yes both are a must see and own once they come to dvd.

InvestFDC
03-10-2009, 03:41 PM
I remember when Star Trek something came out several months before Star Wars episode one. We went to see Star Trek solely for the purpose of seeing the Star Wars trailer. We were, like, 3rd or 4th in line and they had people dressed up as aliens and there was a radio station DJ and he came up to the front of the line.

My friend and I were the only ones not dressed up and the DJ asks something trivia about this new Star Trek movie and I answered that I didn't know I was only here for the Star Wars trailer. Nerds sure are a surley bunch but when you threaten 'em with violence they sure change their tune. Anyway, I didn't win anything and the trailer was great. Don't remember which Star Trek it was.

GoddessGood
03-10-2009, 03:44 PM
I remember when Star Trek something came out several months before Star Wars episode one. We went to see Star Trek solely for the purpose of seeing the Star Wars trailer. We were, like, 3rd or 4th in line and they had people dressed up as aliens and there was a radio station DJ and he came up to the front of the line.

My friend and I were the only ones not dressed up and the DJ asks something trivia about this new Star Trek movie and I answered that I didn't know I was only here for the Star Wars trailer. Nerds sure are a surley bunch but when you threaten 'em with violence they sure change their tune. Anyway, I didn't win anything and the trailer was great. Don't remember which Star Trek it was.
I did something similar for Harry Potter. Don't remember what movie it was we saw, but we weren't really interested in it too much after we saw the trailer :).

Webhead
03-10-2009, 05:40 PM
I'll probably catch this one on cable. It looks exciting as all get-up but I'm going to be faced with being much more selective about my purchases in the near future which means this will probably get bumped way down the list. Wolverine too. Saw the trailer before Watchmen. Not entirely sure that I'm sold. It could be decent or it could be horrendously bad. Not enough in the trailer to fully tell.

The last decent Trek movie I saw was First Contact. That was a good one. The only Trek movie I ever actually owned.

mrken
03-10-2009, 06:47 PM
We inherited the TNG on VHS from a friend when she went to Tiawan a few years back. I saw most of them when they were first broadcast but my daughter has watched every one, most several times.

Rochin
03-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Hmm, maybe we can get a Dallas watching party together when this thing comes out. I'll mention it at our meet tonight :)

That would be pretty awesome. I do not get a chance to get out much and enjoying a movie with fellow sci-fi type/Rpg gamers would be a first for me. I normally see movies I want alone, or wait for DVD and watch alone, lol.

We need to make it a double show, so I can catch Watchmen too. :)

GoddessGood
05-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Well, we got the usual suspects to show (;) thanks for coming, guys) and talked about doing it again. Hopefully we can get some more people to participate.

But, OT, the movie was great :) I couldn't give a rats behind about what they did to canon. I will say there was an epic amount of fanservice in this movie. And yet, as a fan, I'm strangely ok with that :lol:

gregm
05-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Thought the movie was fantastic. They did a great job casting the actors, really reminds me of the chemistry of the Firefly crew.

Hope any/all sequels are equally as good!!

Greg

ronpyatt
05-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Great movie. Goodbye canon. :wave:

One of my first thoughts was, "How are they going to save the whales this time?" :loco:
:whoo:They will have no choice but to make more movies as the rest of them will never have happened.

My head is spinning at the changes, because nothing means anything anymore. It's all new and practically unknown. :brick:
TNG, Q, Borg, DS9, Voyager, the entire Federation, and a Vulcan breeding program! Can you say Spock-Spock? :laugh:

:biggrin:

GoddessGood
05-20-2009, 09:06 AM
a Vulcan breeding program! Can you say Spock-Spock? :laugh:

:biggrin:
This, imo, was the ultimate fanservice in that movie. Hawt vulcan-on-vulcan, "We must do this for the preservation of our race, it is only logical," fanpr0n shall now commence.

Valdar
05-20-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm of the opinion that canon is still there, otherwise where did Spock Prime come from? Canon makes plenty of allowances for alternate universes, from Mirror Mirror to Tasha Yar's daughter.

And hey, if you still want canon in the new 'verse, there's always Enterprise, right?

PhishStyx
05-20-2009, 09:35 PM
I loved it; my wife is ecstatic about it; my father's words were, "They did it right!"

Slipstream
05-21-2009, 01:49 AM
The original canon is still there! It's called rewatching the old shows/movies! And the only current way to follow the original timeline events is to read the comic Countdown, which came out just before this film and play Star Trek Online, set to come out in the near future. Both of which take place around 30 years post-Nemesis and both feature the same Starfleet uniforms, which are a revved up DS9/Voyager style.

That crazy looking ship Spock Prime :lol: flew through the temporal hole, for instance, was designed by Geordi LaForge himself!

So here's the deal: in the original timeline, Romulus is gone for good. In the new timeline, Vulcan is gone... making the space elf race a very rare breed.

ronpyatt
05-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Spock Prime? Isn't he the cloned Spock from the original cells of that dead Spock who left a copy of his mind flip-flopping in Bones until transferred into the new Spock body?

PhishStyx
05-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Spock Prime? Isn't he the cloned Spock from the original cells of that dead Spock who left a copy of his mind flip-flopping in Bones until transferred into the new Spock body?

Yes. Your point? Or you just trying to keep track?

It occurs to me occasionally that I feel kind of glad that we don't live in the same sort of "Krazy Krap" universe as Star Trek. I'm really not sure I'd want the contents of my head swapped out for Capt. Logic's.

ronpyatt
05-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Yes. Your point? Or you just trying to keep track?
Yes. It brought up the question of which Spock would be the original, verifying context, timeline, alternate reality, and/or just canon, where prime indicates the point of reference. I don't remember if there were any other timeline alterations prior to this major change in the timeline that might make this old Spock technically not prime in that regard. Between TOS, TNG, Voyager, DS9, and all the movies, I'm trying to place which versions might crop up in the timeline / cloneline of canon if any.

Slipstream
05-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Yes. It brought up the question of which Spock would be the original, verifying context, timeline, alternate reality, and/or just canon, where prime indicates the point of reference. I don't remember if there were any other timeline alterations prior to this major change in the timeline that might make this old Spock technically not prime in that regard. Between TOS, TNG, Voyager, DS9, and all the movies, I'm trying to place which versions might crop up in the timeline / cloneline of canon if any.
My only mention of it in my post was that of humor. I had no idea that name was actually used in previous tv/movie stories. I used it in my post to differentiate Nimoy Spock from Sylar Spock.