PDA

View Full Version : The Wolf of Ivalice

Jymy
03-06-2009, 10:40 PM
I have been working with the idea for a science fantasy (sci-fantasy) setting for a couple years now and am finally setting down to work it out for a game I want to start running in roughly a months time.
I am basing the idea and most likely the entire setting in the world if Ivalice from the various Final Fantasy games, most notably XII and the squeal to it RW.
It's going to be a world where there is a blending of technology and magic. That the industrial revolution of this world was spurred by arcane energies, both natural and man made. There will be sky ships, air pirates, vast continents and unexplored regions and all the good stuff normally found in Final Fantasy games.
It will take place roughly at the beginning and during the times of FFXII. The invasion of Delmasca and the events after wards. The main issue I am having is finding a system to use for the arcane technologies to be used. I am debating about using the system from Iron Kingdoms, but cannot find any of the books at any shop I have been to thus far, and all the steam punk stuff like from Dragonmech, and from OGL Steampunk are also impossible to find locally for me, so I am resorting to online ordering.
What system of these do you all think would be most fitting. I have seem a couple but without the ability to read the books before I decide to buy them I have to be pciky with what I spend my money on and all.
HAs anyone used any steampunk-esque type stuff for their games and enjoyed the system and what it adds. Also if I haven't mentioned a system or rules book/s for such a think and ya know of any, please pass links and the such along my way.
Any and all help is much appreciated.

TwilightSea
03-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Believe it or not, there is a fan-made Final Fantasy system called the Returners system. They recently have the beta 3e available for download. I currently have their PhB printed out, tried to start a game but so far no one is interested in it. Either way here's the URL. http://www.returnergames.com/

nijineko
03-18-2009, 04:48 AM
despite being a different sytem, gurps has excellent resources easily co-opted into a d20 setting. gurps steampunk, and many of the fantasy and sci-fi books would be helpful to you.

Jymy
03-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Doesn't look like too bad a system, but not my style. I am putting it all on hold anyways as I have succumbed to the lure of 4th Ed. But thanks for the links and all.

yukonhorror
03-19-2009, 04:28 PM
sort of off topic, but the FFRPG can be translated fairly well into 4e D&D. Off topic because the one thing that doesn't translate GREAT is the technology. The artificer powers are very techy, but that's about it.