PDA

View Full Version : Solo adventures with no DM?

ChaunceyK
02-28-2009, 07:40 PM
All I know of is Ghost of Lion Castle & Lathan's Gold. Are there any others? Sure, I could just get a bunch of the "choose your own adventure" books, but that's not as much fun for me as having ability scores & rolling to determine success based on my skills.

I'd prefer genuine D&D adventures, but if there's anything else available from similar sword-and-sorcery games, I'd like to hear about those as well.

As always, I thank you.

TAROT
02-28-2009, 08:26 PM
There was Dagger Alley for AD&D. (MV1 - for "magic viewer" a little piece of red plastic that you moved over the map and could then see through.) I don't recall if there was ever an MV2.

A step up from the Choose Your Own Adventure books was the Fighting Fantasy series, which did involve skills and dice.

There was a new edition of Tunnels & Trolls recently, which has a tradition of supporting solo play.

nijineko
03-01-2009, 01:07 AM
i believe that the "challenge" series of books (two for each class- fighter's challenge, rouge's challenge, etc...) supported solo play.

on a side note, crystalball lite v3 is out now. with it's new cascading table and scripting functions, it is possible to input a complete adventure with as many or few branches as one wants, and with random encounters to boot.

The Dread Dormammu
03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Steve Jackson's Sorcery Series was basically choose your own adventure on steroids. It had Dice rolling and spell selection, and a lot of ways to die. Fond memories.

Mindbomb
03-02-2009, 08:32 PM
I love the Lone Wolf series. While it's not D&D, that actually helps lend itself to what you want, which is a great solo adventure. The books were started in 1984 and went out of print in 97 so they may be hard to find originals of. I did read however that Mongoose publishing picked them back up in 2007, to what extent I cannot say. There is however a website dedicated to the series with all the books available online. http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home
There is a random number table in the back of all the books that you're supposed to close you eyes and pick, I however supplement a d10 which all of us roleplayers find much more stimulating I'm sure.

ulgrath
03-03-2009, 05:59 PM
hah thats funny was going to post the lone wolf series myself but see someone beat me to it was a great choose your own adventure book with stats skills and items very good books when I was younger havent gone to them in a while... you may also want to see if you can pick up a copy of warhammer quest off ebay they dont make it anymore but can be very good for a solo adventure since you can just shuffel the cards to make your dungeon good times.

alarnik
03-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Kenzer & co. actually published a couple, called SoloQuests (http://www.kenzerco.com/index.php?cPath=25_61). They're done in both D&D (3.5e) and HackMaster, which is fairly similar to D&D. I haven't bought them, but I played through the free trial version, and it was pretty fun. The example was fairly typical dungeon crawl, but still good time. I've been happy with other Kenzer products, for what it's worth.

InMediaRes
03-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Kids these days need books to learn how to play with themselves?

Clerical_Errer
08-03-2009, 12:49 AM
In the DMG for 4e there is a way to run a random dungeon with note cards, yea make a deck of em and stuff. It runs yea through the whole process it even lets yea throw in boss mobs and stuff, so I guess yea could roll up some characters and run through random dungeons all day.

Harwel
08-03-2009, 01:07 AM
RuneQuest back in the day (second edition) had a bunch of SoloQuest adventure modules. Nothing current that I'm aware of.

Wulvaine
08-03-2009, 05:36 AM
Lone Wolf is great, although the way I've been experiencing it is a bit different than the books; someone on the internet converted the first two books so far into a pair of homebrew games for the Nintendo DS (It just has all the text from the books built around a convenient but minimal engine).

Still, it's not the same. I would try doing as Clerical Errer said and try random dungeons.

Dr.Dead
11-11-2009, 11:48 PM
I dont know how it could work out because you could say hay i want the sword of holy might and slauter everything but thats one of the reasons why you need a DM because 99% of the time it does not work out.

ChaunceyK
11-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Well, it depends on the system being used, but one example of preventing that sort of thing is...

You enter a room & see some weapons stored on a wall. Make a Perception check. If successful, you notice a Long Sword +1 among the weapons, which you may take.

...solo games plant specific objects, both normal and magical, for the player to find. Some are as simple as "You find a..." and others require some kind of skill check or battle to attain them.

But yes, you absolutely could decide "I have a +100 Sword of Slaying Undead & Living Creatures" and kill every monster with a single strike...but where's the fun in that?

WhiteTiger
11-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Solo adventure with no GM ???

Answer: Play a video game :madgrin::lol:

Hallstadt
01-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Chauncey,

Man! I know where you are coming from. Shortly before I started my latest face to face tabletop D&D game, I was dying for some old skool solo adventures. Tunnels and Trolls has been mentioned, and I have to say, I really think it's your best bet.

Follow the link below to a few quests you can even play on your computer which uses hypertext to take you to the next series in the chain of events based on your actions/ dice rolls. If you fall in love with T&T (like I did) you can order tons of print solo adventures from them super-cheap.

http://www.freedungeons.com/

Enjoy, and I truly hope this helps!

Arkhemedes
01-06-2010, 08:27 PM
hah thats funny was going to post the lone wolf series myself but see someone beat me to it was a great choose your own adventure book with stats skills and items very good books when I was younger havent gone to them in a while... you may also want to see if you can pick up a copy of warhammer quest off ebay they dont make it anymore but can be very good for a solo adventure since you can just shuffel the cards to make your dungeon good times.
Hmm...Hate to go off topic here and all. But with posting like this, I can't help but wonder why he even bothered to put a period at the end.

As for a solo quest that has not been mentioned here: There was also a Forgotten Realms solo quest that was pretty good. I think it was called Knight of the Dead, or something like that. I have it, but it's buried somewhere beyond reach at the moment.

fmitchell
01-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Expeditions Retreat Press published "1 on 1 Adventures #11: Unbound Adventures" a while back that essentially generates a dungeon randomly.

There's also Mythic Game Master Emulator on RPGNow, with a more narrativist take on random adventure: start with a situation, ask questions about it, roll dice to find the answers, and repeat. There's more to it than that, so the PDF is probably worth its $7 (or $9 for Mythic Role Playing which adds character generation rules).

Malruhn
01-10-2010, 12:08 PM
I've always seen DM-less solo games like masturbation...

With full on gaming (and sex), you are working in concert with others to get to a desired end. With DM-less solo games, you get the job done, but there's something not quite... complete... about it, and an hour later you are just Jonesing for the real thing.

I'd even consider PBM or online gaming before I went DM-less solo. (but that brings up a BUNCH of not-safe-for-work one liners...)

ChaunceyK
01-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Nice write-up, Malruhn...funny, but it really does make a point. Adventuring again after a near 20-year absence, I'm reminded how so much of the fun in gaming comes from the wisecracks & camaraderie of sitting around a table with a few guys (and sometimes gals) for a few hours straight. Not entirely the same with solo gaming.

Hallstadt, I just tried the freedungeons.com website. I had never played Tunnels N Trolls, but I had heard of it. It feels enough like D&D that I picked it up pretty quickly, and the online adventures...not bad, actually. I started with the Warrior's adventure "Labyrinth" and got spoiled by having a map to look at. Next I tried "Sorcerer Solitaire" and felt lost without a map, but I actually enjoyed the story more than "Labyrinth"...maybe it was the mystery of not knowing where I was going, whereas in "Labyrinth" it was a definite dungeoncrawl, I was intentionally going into every room available. Either way, I'd give the site a thumbs-up, definitely worth a look.