PDA

View Full Version : Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

Majin_Puar
02-27-2009, 03:54 AM
Has anyone had any luck with this campaign. I've been playing it for several months with my group and honestly it is just really hard. I've tried looking around on the web for people who have played it and I haven't found anyone who came close to finishing it.

yukonhorror
02-27-2009, 06:34 AM
My group has, but maybe it's because I am an easy DM.

Farcaster
02-27-2009, 04:52 PM
I played in one session of this module, and that was it. The DM was very new though, so I couldn't tell you much. It failed to draw me in, but then there were other factors involved.

kirksmithicus
02-28-2009, 01:02 AM
I played this years ago, in High school, 1st edition. We had a TPK in the tavern! Never tried it again.

Majin_Puar
02-28-2009, 05:29 AM
Well a few examples of a level 9 area are as follows. A level 14 Cleric who will hunt you through the halls with his Invisible Stalkers and Assassins. A Young Adult Red Dragon. A Mind Flayer with several levels in Sorcerer (not sure how many). An Elder Earth Elemental (24 HD). A Drow Cleric and Mage of level 11. I've found it to be almost impossible. The level 14 cleric does not hesitate to cast Blasphemy either. At Level 9 it is an almost instant death.

Lucian-Sunaka
02-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Actually... that sounds like alot of fun. I'd love to play through that campaign in 3E, personally the bigger the challenge, and worse the odds, the more awesome it is. Was it ever professionally converted or is it a 1E module that you guys thought would be fun and is kicking your butt when you tried converting it?

yukonhorror
02-28-2009, 04:45 PM
it was an official 3e release (not 3.5 so still has DR 50/+3

Lucian-Sunaka
02-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Serious? I never saw anything higher than DR 30/ X lol. But interesting, I think I'm going to have to see if I can track that down somewhere. Good luck with it Majin.

Valdar
02-28-2009, 07:23 PM
I played it through in 3e. Total grind, and no explanation of why the final boss wouldn't fit through the door to the room you found him in. Wtf? How does he go to the bathroom?

nijineko
03-01-2009, 12:09 AM
the final boss could shape shift, the doors were bound with symbols that were holding them in. or was that the first time through.... it takes finesse and a dm knowledgeable of the adventure to really pull it off.