PDA

View Full Version : Dragonlance

Thriondel Half-Elven
02-26-2009, 02:33 PM
What is your take on the Dragonlance Campaign Setting? I have been debating on getting it or not.

Lucian-Sunaka
02-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Honestly, it's my favorite published setting there is. There's such rich story in it to go with everything, and I love the feel of the classes and prestige classes (Though admittedly some of them are a little weaker than I prefer so I tweak their features up just a little bit when translating them into my game.)

Much like Faerun, the way to really get into the setting is reading the novels. There are a ton of incredible novels written for Dragonlance, and its deffinitely a setting I cherish. (infact if I could actually find the setting I might buy it, despite my prior habbit of buying tremendously few roleplaying books)

Thriondel Half-Elven
02-26-2009, 09:35 PM
I just started reading The Dragonlance Chronicles. What other books to you recommend?

What got me into it was the movie Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

Lucian-Sunaka
02-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Dude, there's a movie!!!??? Ok, I'm going to have to look into this now lol. I'm not 100% sure which books Chronicles is, (Only read a few, but they were all amazing, to me at least lol)

Blue Phoenix
02-27-2009, 03:48 AM
if i'm correct the chronicles are the first book of the series, namely:Dragons of Autumn TwilightDragons of Winter NightDragons of Spring Dawningbut don't forget to read the lost chronicles namely:Dragons of the Dwarven Depths (should be read after Dragons of Autumn Twilight)Dragons of the Highlord Skies (after Dragons of Winter Night)Dragons of the Hourglass Mage (before Dragons of Spring Dawning)but wait the saga continues,Time of the twinsWar of the twinsTest of the twinsand in between those two is:Second generation and Dragons of Summer flame.my favorite book are abouth kenders (hilarius little buggers) and tinker gnomes ( what will they invent next).I was a little dissapointed by the way TRS/WOTC went with the events for dragonlance, mostly chaos and the world theft afterward.so I placed my campaign (oh yes I forget to mention that I run a Dragonlance campaign) several years after the ar of the lance.

cplmac
02-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Yes, good setting for both gaming and reading the novels. I played the character of Caramon in a 2E game back in 1991.

mrken
02-27-2009, 09:22 PM
I just started reading The Dragonlance Chronicles. What other books to you recommend?

Hey, was the movie any good? Heard it was not very good, but still, it DRAGONLANCE! The first three were very good and my wife said the next three were even better.

amardolem
02-27-2009, 10:11 PM
IMHO the movie (aka cartoon) sucked baaaad. They took out some of the greatest scenes and trashed the story. If I was 9 or 6 (as my boys are) I mighht like it. But as someone who has read the first series and the twin series...NO

amusing maybe, if you are prone to gettting high but good...NO

1958Fury
02-28-2009, 11:51 AM
IMHO the movie (aka cartoon) sucked baaaad.

Ditto. However, I'm a bit of an animation snob. I really wished they'd had a better animation budget.

Rochin
02-28-2009, 02:03 PM
I loved the setting and the original novels were my first go at fantasy novels(freakin awesome) I like the setting a hell of a lot. There is lots of evil, but you do not have to get involved in the Great War. There is so much to do and explore, it keeps PCs busy. I ran a 2nd edition game for almost 3 years. It was good fun. Given that the new cartoon movie had a low production value, it was good for what it was. It was not great, and the 4.99 I rented it for, fit perfectly. They did change a bunch, but over all it is worth seeing if you like the DragonLance world.

I have all the original older novels up till the dragons of chaos about the time 3rd edition came out. Lost interest in it then as I lost my group. The 3rd edition stuff is pretty ok, I hear there will be a 4th edition Dragonlance and Darksun and that scars me in ways I cannot describe with words.

nijineko
03-01-2009, 12:12 AM
i could never get into the setting. loved the minotaurs and irda. i think i had the poor dm experience with dragonlance, so i may have to go over it again. i'm not sure how i feel about the time travel.

squidyak
03-01-2009, 10:00 AM
I like bits and pieces of the setting. But the writers were just dumb about some things and that turns me off big time. Ok, I get steel being more valuable than gold because of all the wars, even though even in the bloodiest ages on earth that was never the case. But who in their right mind would turn steel into coins instead of weapons when fighting a war? And why doesn't a steel long sword in Dragonlance cost the same as a solid gold one in other settings? A few steel coins buys several pounds of steel?

Thriondel Half-Elven
03-01-2009, 02:42 PM
i loved the movie! it doesn't have to be all fancy fance animation to please me:biggrin:

upidstay
03-01-2009, 09:40 PM
I HATE Dragonlance. I remember when it came out. always felt like I was being told how a campaign or adventure would go. You basically HAD to follow the story line. And Kender are, by far, the most annoying D+D creation ever printed.

Rochin
03-01-2009, 10:00 PM
I HATE Dragonlance. I remember when it came out. always felt like I was being told how a campaign or adventure would go. You basically HAD to follow the story line. And Kender are, by far, the most annoying D+D creation ever printed.

I will disagree on Kender. I love them, they make some of the best NPCs of all time. Sure the DL campaign can railroad the PCs a bit, but there is enough stuff in the setting to totally ignore the great war, I know I did for my 3 year game. We never really knew the war was going on.

As far as Kender, oh man where to begin. Need the PCs to go someplace they do no not want, send their Kender friend there. Need a powerful magic item to vanish, poof its been Kendered. Want some awesome funny moment where a PC almost dies, Kender to the rescue. I always had a Kender or two in my game. The PCs did not like them at first, but having the Kenders totally immune to fear and always finding useful items tends to bring the PCs around. I had a random roll for what a Kender would find in a town per day. When talked to and asked about what they had, the players were always shocked to find the Kenders with magic potions, lots of pretty coins, gems, and boring magic scrolls. They even found a few cursed items and a dragonlance one time. Classic. It was not always useful stuff, but half the time they had something the PCs needed at the time. Sure they got arrested often but that is just the pirce to pay for a walking flea market being in the party.

squidyak
03-02-2009, 10:59 AM

I don't hate kender, but I hate most kender pcs. People just play them for an excuse to be annoying. All you need to do to play a kender is treat them as perpetually 10 and immune to fear.

Valdar
03-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Ditto on annoying Kender PCs. I wouldn't allow them even if I were running a Dragonlance game- I don't like party infighting, which is what stealing from your party members would lead to.

Nothing official yet on a 4e Dragonlance setting- there's a board up for it over at Wizards, but no official announcements or plans- last I heard, they were leaving Dragonlance as a fan-created effort. My take on it is that they'll release 3 core books for each setting for as long as people buy them, so if setting books sell well, you'll eventually see a Dragonlance line. Last year was FR, this year is Eberron, next two may be Darksun and Greyhawk, so that'll be a lot of books sold before Dragonlance hits the shelves, if ever.

Lucian-Sunaka
03-02-2009, 02:43 PM
What is with people always hating on Kender? lol, I've had some in my parties and it led to a ton of fun. The party was always grumping on the Kender, who always just smiled and told them they were welcome. At worst the group tried to catch the kender to drain his pouches, and we were all laughing as the little guy juked and jinked and overall humiliated the other characters.

squidyak
03-02-2009, 07:46 PM
What is with people always hating on Kender? lol, I've had some in my parties and it led to a ton of fun. The party was always grumping on the Kender, who always just smiled and told them they were welcome. At worst the group tried to catch the kender to drain his pouches, and we were all laughing as the little guy juked and jinked and overall humiliated the other characters.

People hate kender because most people who play them only do so to cause trouble and be the center of attention. 90% of the kender I've seen have been like that, and I've even fallen into that trap myself a couple of times while playing one. Note that kender + deck of many things + barfull of farmers = bad. Sorry about that guys.

Lucian-Sunaka
03-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Honestly, I feel that kender + deck of many things + barfull of farmers = tons and tons of fun lol, why is it bad to have somebody causing trouble and having fun? There's so much potential in that. I would rather have players like that than players that sit there and wait for the DM to tell them what to do.

John Wolf
04-15-2009, 03:08 AM

The movie was poorly done, that aside Dragonlance is my favorite setting. Books you should read are, in this order:

*Dragons of Autumn Twilight
*Dragons of Winter Night
*Dragons of Spring Dawning
*Second Generation*Optional* (Introduces new Characters)
*Dragons of Summer Flame
*Dragons of Fallen Sun
*Dragons of Lost Star
*Dragons of Vanished Moon
*Amber and Ashes
*Amber and Iron
*Amber and Blood

Happy reading, they're all good.

Grimwell
04-15-2009, 09:14 AM
I really enjoyed the books, loved the world that they showed, and never had the urge to run a game in the setting due to Kender and Gnomes.

The way Rochin describes Kender as a DM's tool... that's God in a Box which would make me crazy as a player. I'd eventually let the Kender die instead of helping it. Gnomes... were never little inventors until Krynn happened to them. I prefer them more the old way (which 4E resembles better) but don't have as much negativity about them. Essentially both races are chaos -- and the books explain why -- but I don't need that much chaos in my games. :D

(Yes, joining the necropost and making win)

Great setting though, great world and story. Very well done in the Weiss/Hickman books. Other writers... some are good some disappoint.

cplmac
04-16-2009, 12:06 PM
The movie was poorly done, that aside Dragonlance is my favorite setting. Books you should read are, in this order:

*Dragons of Autumn Twilight
*Dragons of Winter Night
*Dragons of Spring Dawning
*Second Generation*Optional* (Introduces new Characters)
*Dragons of Summer Flame
*Dragons of Fallen Sun
*Dragons of Lost Star
*Dragons of Vanished Moon
*Amber and Ashes
*Amber and Iron
*Amber and Blood

Happy reading, they're all good.

Actually there are a bunch of books that preceed the original Chronicles. The Meetings Sextent group actually shows how the group met one another. I would recomend reading these also, as well as the books that fall inbetween the Meetings Sextent and the Chronicles.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I've played it and enjoyed it immensily. I have fond memories of the adventures i've played with others. Heck, i wouldnt mind getting another DL campaign going if i could find the right group.

John Wolf
04-17-2009, 06:10 AM
Actually there are a bunch of books that preceed the original Chronicles. The Meetings Sextent group actually shows how the group met one another. I would recomend reading these also, as well as the books that fall inbetween the Meetings Sextent and the Chronicles.

Really? Could you provide a list of those books please?

cplmac
04-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Ok, here is the list.

The Meeting Sextet:

Kindred Spirits
Wanderlust
Dark Heart
The Oath and The Measure
Steel and Stone
The Companions

Preludes

Darkness & Light
Kendermore
Brothers Majere

Preludes II

Riverwind the Plainsman
Flint the King
Tanis the Shadow Years

Those are the books that I have in addition to the Dragons of Autumn Twillight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawning.

From what I understand there is also these other sets.

Elven Nations Triology

-Firstborn
-The Kinslayer Wars
-The Qualinesti

Dwarven Nations Trilogy

-The Covenant of the Forge
-Hammer and Axe
-The Swordsheath Scroll

Tales Triology

-The Magic of Krynn
-Kender, Gulley Dwarves, and Gnomes
-Love and War

Tales II Triology

-The Reign of Istar
-The Cataclysm
-The War of the Lance

Heroes Trilogy

-The Legend of Huma
-Stormblade
-Weasel's Luck

Heroes Trilogy II

-Kaz the Minotaur
-The Gates of Thorbardin
-Galen Beknighted

Legends Trilogy

-Time of the Twins
-War of the Twins
-Test of the Twins

I am sure there are problably more books now, but these are the ones that are listed in the back of the books that I currently own. Happy reading to all.

mnemenoi
04-17-2009, 08:07 PM
I thought the original setting for 2nd Edition (Time of the Dragon/Taladas) was a great setting. It seems that the books were a bit epic and usually anyone that might 'want' to play had read them, so it was always a chore not bringing in what you already knew. With another setting that everyone was equally unaware of the DM could truly craft a great tale, without the pc's having to follow the chronicles (not suggesting they are bad, just that if everyone has read them it can be a bit of a let down)

nijineko
04-21-2009, 01:23 AM
i never liked how the lances worked. always struck me as space opera.

Dimthar
04-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Time lines are moved forward in Forgotten Realms as the Editions and New Books are released.

As for Dragonlance? Are the Gamining Source Books stuck in the War of the Lance??

Lucian-Sunaka
04-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Not at all, Dragonlance's timeline is unique in that it's fair game. Time Travel is a big part of the storyline and as such, books are released for multiple periods, not necessarily in chronological order. There's the war of the lance, the war of souls, the period before the Cataclysm, the list goes on.

Windstar
04-27-2009, 07:01 PM
I played Tas in the entire DL series, loved every minute of it. Goddess, I would recommend you find another DM and give it a second try, the guy that DM'd for my group was probably the second best DM I ever played with. The number 1 DM, DM'd his own world and can not even descride the detail and color he could add on the spur of the moment. I diverse, sorry, but if they ever put it out in 4e I will definately get it.

Oldgamer
05-01-2009, 11:04 AM
I love it, but I'm biased. It was what I first played in '83 during the beginning's of AD&D. I had recently moved to the area and a kid there that I was getting along with mentioned the game. The DL modules came with little cut out character cards for the heroes and took you through 16 modules (well, 15 cuz one was really an accessory) of the Chronicles Trilogy. I bought all 16 modules with my paper route money and have since run through them 3 times as a DM and have begun playing as a player only once, but it didn't last long.

I actually didn't read the books until I was 3 modules into the game, then I read them with a passion. I continued reading them as they came out for about 20 years or so when the 2nd generation came out. It was really weird seeing Caramon dead of old age and reading about his kids adventures ... especially the whiny and weak Palin, so I stopped there. I picked them up again during the War of Souls though, and it's kind of bringing me back to it slowly.

Someone mentioned earlier about the setting being stuck in the War of the Lance, which is very much untrue. There have been a few generations now, the 3.5 Campaign Setting features classes and races for the entire timeline, as new classes came out after the War of the Lance, The Knights of Neraka being one of them, the evil counterpart to the Solamnic Knights, and formerly known as Knights of Takhisis until the fall of their leader after the Chaos War. The Legion of Steel being another, not to mention the Afflicted Kender, which is what most people play now since so many don't like the original and they are so hard to play considering the in-fighting it causes.

They have several new Prestige Classes available, new Feats, a few new Core classes, and offer Centaur's, Ogres, & Half-Ogres to the list of new races.

IMHO, it's worth the buy, even if to just sit down and read all of it as I have. I have Co-DM'd a 3.5 game using it for a few months online, but the the main DM started fading away and I didn't have the time to run the whole thing and it ended ... but it was very fun. One of the characters was a ECL 12 Centaur Monk and his Flurry of Blows was devastating.

Windstar
05-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I played Tas in our Dragonlance campaign and loved it. The kender are way too cool. Highly recommend it if you can find it. Even back getting all the modules was tough.

:cool::cool:

Malruhn
05-02-2009, 05:33 PM
I just read through the modules of Key of Destiny and Spectre of Sorrows...

And they were two of the MOST railroading pieces of crap that I've ever read. If you didn't specifically choose the exact course of action that was required, you were screwed. And you couldn't mix and match how you went about running through the adventures. First was "A" - and "A" consisted of "A-1," "A-2," then "A-3," and they must all be completed according to plan - IN ORDER - before you could progress to "B-1."

There were some interesting plot lines, but the way they were written and choreographed, they'd be hard to use. I'll plagiarize what I like and keep them on my shelf... like most of what I read.