PDA

View Full Version : DM / Player Tools puzzles with no home

yukonhorror
02-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Have a puzzle/trap that doesn't fit in with your campaign? Post it here.

There are five normal doors each labeled with a roman numeral.

Upon opening a door, it looks like a plain closet with a chest in the far right corner. Once one person enters, the door automatically closes. Each room has four doors on each of its four walls. In the chest is nothing but a handle except for the specially marked rooms. Pulling on the handle opens a trap door that leads to the outside of the five doors (a failsafe I give up option).

If the players attempt to enter the trap door, they will emerge out of the opposite trap door.

On the inside of the lid of each chest is a phrase.

I shaLL Run Back and FoRth tiLL i am FaLLing, then i wiLL Face the ReveRse Fan i hated as a Big Boy.

This is the key to the maze. Starting with door number I, the player should take the door corresponding the letter. L meaning left, R meaning right, F meaning forward, B meaning backward. This will take him to the rooms with the treasure and finally take him back to the hallway.

Entering a room transports you to the grid location indicated in each block.

Example. Walking into door III (grid space 1,3) actually puts you into grid space 5,2. If you then went into the right door, you would transport to room 4,5.

The first number is horizontal, and the second is vertical. Here is the grid:
1 2 3 4 5
2 |2,3|2,1|1,5|4,5|2,4|
1 |5,5|3,2|5,2|2,2|3,1|
--------------------------
I II III IV V

Following the solution takes you to 2,1 then out. You can put your item anywhere along the path.

Going forward while in row 5 steps you into row 1. Going left while in column 1 (or right while in column 5) takes you to column 5 (or column 1, respectively).

Going back in row 1 brings you back to the entrance with the 5 doors.

Another "maze". I don't have the map with me, but I'll describe the general concept:

| | | |
| 2 | 6 | 10 |
---------------------
| | | |
| 3 | 7 | 11 |
---------------------
| | | |
| 4 | 8 | 12 |
---------------------

The door leads you square one. The above map is one room with twelve squares. When you step on 1, walls F, I, N, and Q turn on and walls A,H turn off. A wall corresponds to the space between two squares. So wall F is between 2 and 6. It isn't a physical wall, but a semi-transparent wall of force/electricity/fire, etc... Stepping on each square corresponds to turning on 4 walls and turning off two, except space 11. Space 11 results in immediate death.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
apparently I can't make ghost spaces. Hopefully you get the idea.

Soft Serve
03-04-2009, 08:15 AM
TWO THINGS

1: Brilliant.
2: Too much time on your hands.

But those are really nifty. I wish I was clever enough to come up with one of those.

Otakar
03-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Funny, I was just reading about puzzles in the new 4thEd DMG this morning and thinking to myself, that might be fun to include but I'll have to look online to find some. Thanks!

yukonhorror
03-04-2009, 12:15 PM
a good source for "puzzles" are old adventure games like King's Quest. Also, there is this nifty site (can't remember name, but if google AGS and adventure you'll find it). It is an engine to make adventure games. But all of the independent game designers post their games on the site, and they sometimes have pretty nifty puzzles.

They also have a forum which may include the puzzles. I originally posted those puzzles on that site.

spotlight
03-04-2009, 02:10 PM
I have a similar 'puzzle room with door choices'. When enter the room, by being stupid to begin with, you find eight closed doors, between each door, tables with food and drink. A majic mouth then annouces that your hear because you were found guilty of a crime. (It is a defunct, abandon castle) You have the coice of food, all tables but one are poisoned, and drink, all but one are poisoned, or doors, all but one leads to death.
Tough to beat, and non have yet survived. But surviving is really an easy thing to do, if one thinks about it.

Soft Serve
03-04-2009, 10:10 PM
there is this nifty site

Nice. I'm not the only one who says nifty.

starwolf013
04-06-2009, 01:31 PM
I have a similar 'puzzle room with door choices'. When enter the room, by being stupid to begin with, you find eight closed doors, between each door, tables with food and drink. A majic mouth then annouces that your hear because you were found guilty of a crime. (It is a defunct, abandon castle) You have the coice of food, all tables but one are poisoned, and drink, all but one are poisoned, or doors, all but one leads to death.
Tough to beat, and non have yet survived. But surviving is really an easy thing to do, if one thinks about it.

Was the correct answer Table 1, Cup 1, and Door 1?

Otakar
04-07-2009, 08:35 AM
It has to be that. I can see why a party wouldn't get it. When you only have so much time a "Hand of Fate" ritual would come in handy (pardon the pun.)

spotlight
04-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Ha. Ha. Nice try, but that is only a guess. And since you do not know which is #1 and #1 and #1, you might not survive. Besides, to escape, one must open one of the doors, no need to drink and eat. So, there's two of the solutions already. Unless you WANT to stay long enough to get hungry or thirsty ...
Oh, by the way, you enter without the rest of your party, by means of a trap teleport. Which means there is only one person in the room.

Otakar
04-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Ha. Ha. Nice try, but that is only a guess. And since you do not know which is #1 and #1 and #1, you might not survive. Besides, to escape, one must open one of the doors, no need to drink and eat. So, there's two of the solutions already. Unless you WANT to stay long enough to get hungry or thirsty ...
Oh, by the way, you enter without the rest of your party, by means of a trap teleport. Which means there is only one person in the room.

So the food and drink are not part of the equation. I'm thinking that characters using magic is out of the question. This is killing me!
:confused:

Soft Serve
04-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Can you open the doors without going in them?

spotlight
04-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Well, it is possible to open a door with out going through yourself. Just remember that an open door is open to the other side as well. Of course, you could always check for traps to make sure that the door doesn't open automaticly, give that it is a chamber designed to 'punish the guilty', at least according to the Majic Mouth announcement when you first got teleported to the room. Opening any one door gives a one in eight chance to get out unscathed. Good odds for a condemed criminal. Which of course your not! Your just an explorer.

yukonhorror
04-09-2009, 01:40 PM
You go grab 8^3 amount of criminals and try each combination, and see which one lives.

Soft Serve
04-09-2009, 01:43 PM
so there are no clues we're missing here?

spotlight
04-09-2009, 01:44 PM
By the way, so far, no majic user has ever fallen for this trap. Only the thives who stick their noses in too deep or the fighters who rush in without looking first. So I've never had anyone use majic spells in this chamber. Yet.
You think you missed a clue? Ok, I'll give it to you. Go read post 9 again.

Soft Serve
04-09-2009, 01:53 PM
I'd go with door four.

spotlight
04-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Oh Yukon, how slick thou art. When you send them in, how will you KNOW which one survives?