PDA

View Full Version : Dry erase board with a grid for D&D minis?

ChaunceyK
02-24-2009, 04:26 PM
(forgive me for what may appear to be a double-post, but I've also posted about this dry erase board in another forum as well, as it fit the subject)

Does anyone use a dry erase board with a grid for combat? I'm thinking of using regular graph paper (with small squares) for the general map, then going to a dry erase board (with larger squares) for a "close up" during combat. Has anyone else done this? Can anyone recommend an online site with the best price for a board like this?

Thank you.

Thriondel Half-Elven
02-24-2009, 04:33 PM
I use a form of a battle map. It's double sided and is dry erase. i think it cost $5. But now i can remember the brand name:confused:

gdmcbride
02-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Chessex double-sided battlemats (http://www.chessex.com/mats/Battlemats_MegamatsReversible.htm) are really the only way to go here.

They are wet-erase, durable, foldable and if you are careful to clean them after every game (don't leave maps from session to session -- it will stain the mat), I've seen one that lasted more than a decade with weekly use without damage or issue.

They make them as big as 8'5" x 4'5" as well.

They have squares on one side and hexes on the other, so they are very system versatile.

I tried to think up a bad thing to say about them so that I sound unbiased and less like a commercial. I failed.

Gary

mrken
02-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Try Home Depot or Lowes. They have a white board they use for bathrooms. It is the same thing just without the aluminum boarder. You will need to score it and paint the lines in it though.

cpljarhead
02-27-2009, 02:38 PM
try a piece of plexi glass with a grid painted on another piece of thin board and screw together and this way dry erase works well and on top of that you can make it any size you like

upidstay
03-01-2009, 09:43 PM
I bought the white board from Home Depot. My original plan was to make a table out of my battle mat. I bought a 4x8 sheet and glued it to a sheet of plywood. Was actually TO big, so I've cut it down to a much smaller size. One of my players bought me a battle mat and then himself a Mondo Mat (4'x8', friggin' HUGE). I like the mats better than my creation. My kids draw on it now mostly.

MortonStromgal
03-02-2009, 06:55 PM
yes i do, there was a company that used to sell them called tac tiles I think... well last I heard there were some patent issues... :(

LordPwntar
03-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Speaking of Lowes and Home Depot--most places like that actually have dry erase paint that you can buy, so you don't even need a mat, just something to paint on. After you paint, just trace a one-inch grid with a sharpie or something and you're made in the shade. (I did it on a nice big piece of plywood and loved the result--no wrinkles, no slippage, and no weighting down a stupid rolled-up map!)

Talmek
03-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Chessex double-sided battlemats (http://www.chessex.com/mats/Battlemats_MegamatsReversible.htm) are really the only way to go here...

I agree, wholeheartedly. I've tried using a dry-erase board, as well as the Chessex battlemat and I have to go with battlemats FTW!

Seriously, I had some very...ahem..."animated" players and on more than one occasion there were lines disappearing off the board than there was actual combat being played out!

Just my opinion (although a great one :D)

Valdar
03-26-2009, 07:55 PM
I would think that a dry-erase board would be a good way to get ink all over your hands, elbows, and books...

Battlemat FTW. They are getting pricey these days though...

Dkomp
03-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Dry erase board - draw your map out and the lay a piece of clear plastic over it 5 mil or such so u don't get curl - u can even clip it with binder clips to the edges - use the plastic clear mat as a buffer between u and the ink - when done, pull off and wipe both down - also keeps lines from disappearing

Ay number of overlays can be made in this wayfor your runs.

Aeval
03-26-2009, 10:06 PM
The plexi glass works great. I took a construction paper, and put a grid on it. Now we can change whats under the plastic. You can also put board games underneath, and it keeps them clean. Also, if your having a party, put a puzzle under it.. or pictures. Can be used for almost anything. but awesome with game.

kirksmithicus
03-27-2009, 12:21 PM
The plexi glass works great. I took a construction paper, and put a grid on it. Now we can change whats under the plastic.

Man, I was just thinking about this yesterday. I thought some type of heavy clear plastic laminate would be good. So you could roll it up for storage. Make a grid on it then use construction paper to create terrain underneath the thing. I think it would be cool. I'll have to look around to see what I can find.

I also thought I might try to find something to fit over my green painted bulletin board that I currently use. That way I could draw on it and use the construction paper terrain underneath too. Maximum versatility.

yukonhorror
03-27-2009, 05:05 PM
For online minis, me and a buddy used a map made in powerpoint. You had to spend time making the maps, and they left a lot to the imagination, but they did the job. The best part, no need to buy the minis, all of the stat cards are online. But I take the cheap route whenever I can.