PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone. I need some help.

Zabdi
02-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Hello, I'm Jon and i'm new to the forum. I came to get some input. I'm starting up a new game of silver age sentinels, and i'm having trouble thinking of ideas of how to start the game and how exactly the main villain is going to go about his goals. So far I have a few characters made and some parts of the setting thought up. I'll tell you all about them if you want me to. Any input would be greatly appreciated.:laugh:

Etarnon
02-22-2009, 06:46 PM
take a super hero story you've seen and model on it.

I.e. the bad guy has a plan.

The PCs stumble upon it. they meet his minions, and learn what part of the plan is.

They confront the bad guy and get torn up, but learn his weakness.

They gather tools, materials, or something and finally take him out, put him away whatever.

that's the real basic vanilla plot.

Work from there.

ronpyatt
02-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Create a villain (or more than one) that ties the PC's together. Perhaps something from their past or current situation.

For example, Doctor Evilstein may have developed a serum that destroyed a super character's one chance at a normal life. That same villain may have caused the train wreck that killed another super's aunt Margret. Then Doctor Evilstein teams up with the villain Lavabrain, who had caused the blackout which allowed murderous thugs to run loose in the streets at the time that another super character was just a little girl, and she lost her family.

Webhead
02-22-2009, 08:43 PM
For ideas and twists on basic plot structures, take a look at the following link:

http://www.io.com/~sjohn/plots.htm

It's hard to give specific ideas without knowing a bit about your campaign and the game world, but the beauty of the supers genre is that virtually anything is possible. Use that freedom to really run wild with your adventure ideas. Afterall, why settle for a "standard" encounter in the street or on a rooftop when you can have the heroes battling inside a nuclear submarine or in the bowels of a volcano or at the base of a dimensional wormhole as it rips the landscape apart... ;)

spotlight
02-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Glad to meet you Jon. I have never played Silver Age Sentinels, but I have played and run several supers games. I can e-mail you a whole mess of villans, (who may need adjustment) for you to play with. It is imoportant to have lots of those to go around and it may pust you brain trying to make lots.

I can give you some quick if you wish. three weird one upfront. Zeroxy, her name says something. Vortex, a known criminal who tried to go straght, till he got his powers. Trifid, that's correct, the alien plant creature straght form the movie.

As for story lines, well, do like the others said, borrow, steel, and adapt.

Zabdi
02-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Thank you everyone for the ideas. I really appreciate it. ^.^

Shale
02-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Here's something more concrete:

A local chemical manufacturer has a break-in by some young thugs looking to cause mischief. They end up mixing some chemicals in an industrial vat and one of the more intoxicated falls or is pushed in for laughs. There's a big WHOOMF!! and the plant doors are blown off. The remaining thugs attempt to flee. Meanwhile, the thug in the vat is...changed, transformed into something unexpected! The mutation staggers out of the vat and goes on a mad rampage, and when the police find themselves helpless, the Heroes are called in to save the day!

That's one idea. Old, of course, but appropriate for Silver Age as well. Classic...

Charles1971
02-24-2009, 12:50 PM
I ran a Champions game a couple of years ago. It took place in modern times, but that could easily be changed. The plot was that an elderly supervillain in the future builds a time machine and sends information (carried inside a powerful robot) back in time to his younger self. His goal is to rewrite history, giving his younger self access to future knowledge and technology.

Using the information, the younger supervillain constructs a base and hi-tech suits of armor, gathers himself a group of villainous lackeys and begins work on his master plan. The villain constructs a teleportation device and uses it to steal nuclear missles. Then he threatens to teleport nukes into major cities unless countries hand over control to him.

The heroes of the game encounter the supervillain and his lackeys throughout the campaign and begin to learn of his plot, but not until its too late. In the end, they must fight there way into the supervillains fortress and destroy his teleporter before he is able to carry out his threat.

magic-rhyme
06-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Hello, I'm Jon and i'm new to the forum. I came to get some input. I'm starting up a new game of silver age sentinels, and i'm having trouble thinking of ideas of how to start the game and how exactly the main villain is going to go about his goals. So far I have a few characters made and some parts of the setting thought up. I'll tell you all about them if you want me to. Any input would be greatly appreciated.:laugh:

You really want your players to love this game? Make certain the villains are tied in to the PCs in ways which simultaneously challenge and spotlight the PCs.

(This only works with strong roleplayers; if your players are more interested in the tactical side, this will bore them.)

For example, if there is a patriotic themed hero, the easy thing is to fight him with a villain representing an opposing nation. Instead, have him encounter on his own another patriotic themed figure but one with a conflicting interpretation of patriotism. If this figure also turns out to be a boyfriend or girlfriend or ex-wife or ex-husband, so much the better!

If there is a hero with powers based on a wolf, a hunter villain (or vampire if he's more of a werewolf) works well. Even better is a cannibalistic wolf villain who cries out at one point, "But you were supposed to understand!" in a believable fit of maddened despair, or a wolf god who has decided to corrupt/convert the hero rather than kill him.

If there is a hero who stands for the power of hope, a villain who stands for the power of despair will affect our hero right where his heart is.

You get the idea. Villains who have emotional or thematic ties really affect the heroes, whereas even the coolest powers are only mildly diverting if there is no emotional/thematic connection there.

kitsune1842
06-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Ok, have to chime in with my fave way to start a Super hero game. Do an oragin story. Either talk the group into playing normal people and give them the same thing to suddenly give them powers.

I recently played in a convention game where everyone built normal teen characters who were in a theme park when Arcade suddenly turns the whole thing into murder world and they are all given mystic swords made by Hephestus to give the world new heroes. Arcade was hired to stop him, or at least kill the people that he gives the swords too.

magic-rhyme
11-11-2009, 04:12 PM

How'd it turn out?