PDA

View Full Version : Solo campaigns?

kkriegg
02-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Any advice for running a campaign for only one or two characters in 4e?

Shale
02-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Use the Minions idea from 4th edition. That way they can slaughter numbers of opponents with reduced risk but still be cinematic. Max HP as well, at least for awhile.

Start them at 3rd level or more if you are focusing on combat. Keep the enemies weak and easily slaughtered, except for the handful of memorable opponents. Don't let the rules get in the way of fun.

Outside of that, have strong stories for the players to sink their teeth into. Small enough stories so they can do something important, but big enough to keep their interest. No story, boring game - there's no point to any of it without a story and thus it will lose its lustre after a few sessions.

Probably something revolving around one or both PC interests and motivations for adventuring.

Good examples include the Wheel of Time and Dragonlance: the heroes were essentially dragged into the story whether they want to be or not. I don't like those stories, because I prefer choice, but some people like the epic nature of them.

Personally, I like Sword & Sorcery level stories that may be regionally significant, but matter little on the world stage. I think it's sufficient for what you do to be important to your family, clan, and neighbors. I am bored by stories dragging the characters to far-off lands to do crazy things for the sake of the Universe! Those are big concepts that matter little to most people. Stories about their personal issues and personal troubles will resonate better.

Example: The Princess Bride - the princess is rescued by the hero. Romance, action, friendship, family, etc. It has the things that are important to real people. Those are timeless 'classic' stories. If you have no idea where to start, start with classics and so-called cliche. It's only cliche if you are repeating yourself. Otherwise it's call theft, and stealing from the best has a long and good tradition.

:cool:

Baldwin Stonewood
02-24-2009, 02:39 PM
There is a company called Expeditious Retreat Press that produces modules for solo gamers. I'm not sure if they are producing 4E yet, but their 3.5 material was excellent. This could be useful for suggestions at least.

yukonhorror
02-25-2009, 11:47 AM
one or two characters or players?

For players, I have always had the thought of multiple characters to each player. Try to establish guidelines for information sharing between different characters of the same player. It would almost be like a video game where you control all characters.

As for characters, either scale down the level of the creatures (according to DMG rules) or have less creatures in each encounter or both. But you would have to get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

Otakar
02-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Hey, Kkriegg, I'm in the same boat. I really liked Shale's comments. That's exactly what I plan to do. I like how 4ED breaks down the challenge rating. I Level 1 character should be able to take 4 level 1 minions. I guess 3.5 did that with challenge ratings too except they didn't have the minions. I went right from 2nd Ed to 4th. When I did 2ED I found that rouges can have a great time solo. Looting, sneeking and backstabbing adventures are pretty fun. I'd be interested to see how your campaign goes. If you start a blog I'll read it! ;)