PDA

View Full Version : Street Fighter 4

Webhead
02-19-2009, 11:58 AM
So, has anyone picked this game up yet? Had I a 360 or PS3 I would have it by now but, alas, I am not so blessed.

On a related note, has the release of this game given anyone else a sudden, illogical urge to play the old Street Fighter RPG?

:D

Lucian-Sunaka
02-20-2009, 03:04 AM
I wish I could tell you webhead, but the only current gen system I've got is the Wii.

But just out of curiosity, what is 'the old StreetFighter rpg? I've never heard of it before. Is it a videogame, a table-top system, please explain lol.

Webhead
02-20-2009, 10:07 AM
I wish I could tell you webhead, but the only current gen system I've got is the Wii...

I'm in the same boat. I like my Wii but it means there are certain games I don't get to play (such as SF4). :(

...But just out of curiosity, what is 'the old StreetFighter rpg? I've never heard of it before. Is it a videogame, a table-top system, please explain lol.

Table-top RPG. It was published by White Wolf and used a tweaked version of the Storyteller (oWoD) system. It tended to be dice heavy (even for WoD) as character attributes were not capped at 5 and could often be as high as 7, 8 or 9 dice! :shocked:

The only way I ever encountered it was because a friend of mine has a bunch of the books (corebook and a couple supplements). I never did get to see it played but I was always curious. I may have him dig it out so I can read over it again.

GoddessGood
02-20-2009, 10:31 AM
:shocked: For serious? I never knew such a beastie existed. Although I did try to run a similar game concept online for Exalted a while back. There really weren't any takers, so I assumed most people wouldn't enjoy a game like that. Or at least, people who play exalted wouldn't enjoy a game like that ...

Webhead
02-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Indeed, it's true. Naturally it doesn't have to be played completely "tournament-style" like the video game but it can be if that's what the GM/players want. It's more of a general "martial arts action" RPG.

Oh, and on an interesting note, I suppose that on some level it could be argued that we have the Street Fighter RPG and the West End Games' DC Universe RPG to blame for some of what annoys people about D&D 4e. Both games (published in 1994 and 1999 respectively) featured well-developed (if only truly optional) "Combat Card" systems where special abilities and attack manuevers were written down on cards for quick reference.

:fencing:

Lucian-Sunaka
02-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Honestly I blame Tome Of Battle for the special powers/maneuvers all the time instead of basic attacks lol.

Anyways, the game does sound like fun, I'd sure give it a shot if somebody were to host it near me/online.

WFDragon
02-20-2009, 03:04 PM
SFIV is like playing the good ol' Street Fighter 2 that we grew up with, but with an updated look and new additions to the characters, attacks, and defensive options. My favorite fighting game to date is still SoulCalibur IV, but this game is just as sweet. A must play for anyone who enjoys fighting games on a casual or tournament level.

Webhead
02-20-2009, 06:01 PM
SFIV is like playing the good ol' Street Fighter 2 that we grew up with, but with an updated look and new additions to the characters, attacks, and defensive options. My favorite fighting game to date is still SoulCalibur IV, but this game is just as sweet. A must play for anyone who enjoys fighting games on a casual or tournament level.

Thanks for the input. I only ever played Soul Caliber 2 and I liked it on the whole but found the motions for some special moves and combos too precise or complex for my old-school brain at times and thus judged that it wasn't quite up my alley.

Street Fighter 2 is definately the bread-and-butter of my fighting game experience and I have much love for it. That, Mortal Kombat 2 and Killer Instinct.

Everything that I hear about SF4 is that it returns to a lot of what made SF2 great, making the game instantly accessible and easy to learn while providing deep strategy and tight game balance.

I have fond memories of standing in line at the arcade waiting for my turn to get trounced at SF2, so I'm sure SF4 will probably appeal to me. I've not played any of the SF series since Super Street Fighter 2 (and about a half dozen times playing Street Fighter Alpha) so it seems like now would be a fantastic time to jump back in, while the series is returning to its roots. Now, if only I had a 360 to play it on... :(

Rochin
02-21-2009, 09:42 PM
I will have my copy of Street Fighter 4 for the xbox 360 on the 24th. I will let you all know. I love the series, played the heck out SF 2 in the arcades!!

Webhead
02-21-2009, 11:32 PM
I will have my copy of Street Fighter 4 for the xbox 360 on the 24th. I will let you all know...

Please do. I've found myself thinking about it way too much over the past week and have read most of the professional reviews. The fact that the game is receiving a lot of praise from both critics and fans doesn't help either and my wife keeps seeming to suggest that I should just go buy a 360...but I really shouldn't be spending that kind of money right now... :(

...I love the series, played the heck out SF 2 in the arcades!!

Me too. Actually, I've got the roms for SF2, SF2 Turbo and Super SF2 on my PC currently. ;)

Rochin
02-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Please do. I've found myself thinking about it way too much over the past week and have read most of the professional reviews. The fact that the game is receiving a lot of praise from both critics and fans doesn't help either and my wife keeps seeming to suggest that I should just go buy a 360...but I really shouldn't be spending that kind of money right now... :(

Me too. Actually, I've got the roms for SF2, SF2 Turbo and Super SF2 on my PC currently. ;)

Last week we broke down and got a 360. So far I am very impressed with it. We have the netflix streaming app, awesome, and so far we have just downloaded games. Castle crashers is freaking awesome as well. The "new" HD street fighter 2 is pretty sweet. It really has a lot to offer. We tend to purchase 1 semi to expensive item with our tax return, so the xbox,3 extra controllers, the wifi thing and the rechargeable batteries was our purchase. The xbox live is 45 bucks a year to download content, so that is not too bad.

Overall it is a way better experience than I had hoped for. We have a Wii also, and the kids and family love it. It does not have as many "hardcore" games(as in fighthing, RPG, etc) but is still pretty cool. I will let you know how SF4 is. We were going to go with a PS3 at first for blu-ray, but that is the only feature that is a pro for the PS3 in my opinion. The lack of games, and the undewhelming downloadable content(PS3 gets left out by the game devs) and rumors of a PS4 on the way shortly make it the next gen Sega Dream Cast(which I also still have for mavel vs capcom 1 and 2!!)

Webhead
02-22-2009, 04:15 PM
...Castle crashers is freaking awesome as well. The "new" HD street fighter 2 is pretty sweet...

Agreed. My brother has it on his 360 and last time I was over we played the heck out of that game. Yet another reason I feel sad for not owning a 360.

...We tend to purchase 1 semi to expensive item with our tax return, so the xbox,3 extra controllers, the wifi thing and the rechargeable batteries was our purchase...

Yes, were I receiving a tax refund this year, I could probably justify doing the same. Unfortunately, I am not... :(

Rochin
02-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Ok here is my review for Street Fighter 4. Overall I give the game 4.5 out of a possible 5. No game to me will ever be perfect. The graphics are amazing, for a 2D fighter its mind blowing how it seems like a 3D fighter. All the classic characters, and more plus some unlockables. My first time through I picked E Honda(my fav from back in the day) and put it on Easy(cause I am rusty as a old barn door) and got my ass handed to me as much as I dished it out.

Online mode is cool as you can get destroyed by the pros, but it has a filter so you can get people about your skill level. As well single player has a opt in mode where it is just like the arcade where random people can join your game, nice touch.

The sound is another bonus, it kicks some butt. My set up is a samsung 50" DLP and I am running Street Fighter 4 at 1080i and the sound through my 100 dollar sony surround sound system. Less than half way up and it made my neighbor come over and make sure I was not killing my wife, lol. Need to turn it down some I guess when I give Chun-Li a beat down.

Great game, still much more to experience. It would be a awesome purchase for any gamer. If your not sure of the genre, rent it, it is more than worth it.

Edit: I was not trying to brag about my set up, just posting what I was gaming on. Sorry if it came off that way.

Webhead
02-23-2009, 08:59 PM
The temptation to get this game (and the accompanying 360) gets worse everyday...to the point that I'm trying to cobble together ideas on how to get the money together to fund it. Of course, the other consideration (which makes it even more difficult) is that I would also have to buy a stick to play it with as I hear the default 360 controller is worse than garbage if you want to play SF4. I could buy one of the fightpads, but really, if I'm going there I'd rather just go the extra mile and get a stick. Nothing quite like playing SF the way it was meant to be played. Sadly, all the available sticks for the 360 are a pain in the butt to get ahold of.

We shall see. The suspense is killing me!

Rochin
02-23-2009, 11:25 PM
I am ok with the regular xbox 360 controller. It is very similar to the DreamCast controller and I can pull of magic on Marvel vs Capcom. Sometimes I think get into Gumby mode and get all finger voodoo crazy. A stick sure would be all retro....(heads to ebay....oh sweet....they want how much!! doh`)

I understand the whole making a big purchase worth it. The netflix app to stream movies is pretty nice(wife likes it) the retro games(yay me!) and all the kiddie games, both dvd and downloadable made the case for ours. They even have a new Sega Collection with 30 old school games on it, golden axe 1, 2, and 3!! Plus some other goodies, that is on my next month purchase list. Still have to turn the forms in triplicit to my wife first.(Grumbles....)

WFDragon
02-24-2009, 03:41 PM
If you're going to play it on the 360, I strongly recommend getting a fighting stick or at least one of those special SFIV fight pads. I don't know about everyone here, but for me and most other people I know, the Microsoft brand 360 controller is ass for fighting games. The D-pad is terrible for fighters, and trying to play on one for me is like trying to run a marathon without legs.

I've played it on the PS3, and I have no qualms with Sony's Sixaxis/Dualshock3 for use with fighting games.

Edit: Oh yes! The Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. So much awesome packed onto one disk, and for just 30 bucks. Good times.

Rochin
02-24-2009, 04:18 PM
If you're going to play it on the 360, I strongly recommend getting a fighting stick or at least one of those special SFIV fight pads. I don't know about everyone here, but for me and most other people I know, the Microsoft brand 360 controller is ass for fighting games. The D-pad is terrible for fighters, and trying to play on one for me is like trying to run a marathon without legs.

I've played it on the PS3, and I have no qualms with Sony's Sixaxis/Dualshock3 for use with fighting games.

Edit: Oh yes! The Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. So much awesome packed onto one disk, and for just 30 bucks. Good times.

Yes it has 49 games total on it, friggin sweet!

Oh and an update for Street Fighter 4. Chun Li is freakin hot! lol Even better than how hot I thought she used to look, back in the day of course.

Webhead
02-24-2009, 10:56 PM
...Oh and an update for Street Fighter 4. Chun Li is freakin hot! lol Even better than how hot I thought she used to look, back in the day of course.

Back in the days when they still measured game technology in "bits"! :)

I agree though. In fact, all the treatments for the original characters are spectacular to watch. The animation is top-notch and the characters just pop off the screen.

WFDragon
02-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Chun Li has horse thighs and giant man hands. I prefer Cammy. :)

Rochin
02-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Chun Li has horse thighs and giant man hands. I prefer Cammy. :)

Her thighs and hips can squeeze me anytime, Cammy is too skinny. lol
Damn the game is hard! Keeps me playing it though, wondering how I unlock characters and such. Ah well, keep playing!!

spellchrome
02-25-2009, 06:17 PM
I rented Mortal Kombat Vs. the D.C. Universe for 360, but haven't taken a look at Street Fighter IV. Has anyone played both games?

I've liked some Street Fighter Anime, but was never a die hard fan.

Webhead
02-25-2009, 09:31 PM
...Damn the game is hard! Keeps me playing it though, wondering how I unlock characters and such. Ah well, keep playing!!

Yes, Seth is a frickin' pain in the butt. You have to beat the arcade mode with certain characters to unlock the hidden combatants.

I rented Mortal Kombat Vs. the D.C. Universe for 360, but haven't taken a look at Street Fighter IV. Has anyone played both games?

I've liked some Street Fighter Anime, but was never a die hard fan.

MK vs. DC is another game that I'm going to at least rent in the near future. It looks to be good. I've not played it yet but if its at least as good as MK: Deception, it will be a worthwhile game. It likely won't be as polished and balanced a game as SF4 but then, the MK series was typically more about the intensity and over-the-top violence than careful balance and fine-tuning. It didn't get the same level of praise from critics and fans that SF4 did but that doesn't mean that its not a lot of fun. The simple option to play Supes or Green Lantern in a fighting game is hard to pass up.

For what it's worth, I was a fan of both SF and MK back in their infancy and I adored and played both. At least the first live-action MK movie wasn't as grotesquely terrible as the first live-action SF movie. I never saw any of the cartoons/anime/comics/etc. for either series. I was more of a gaming purist when it came to those series.

Addis Hellfire
02-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Hadoken

spellchrome
02-26-2009, 07:19 AM
I only ever played SF2 on the Super Nintendo. I think it was more impressive in the Arcades.

At least the first live-action MK movie wasn't as grotesquely terrible as the first live-action SF movie.

True enough. The first Mortal Kombat movie was actually pretty good. It of course loses a point for ending on a cliffhanger and then, instead of continuing with more awesomeness, the sequel seems to get everything wrong. However, even it may be better than the Van Damme Street Fighter movie.

Any predictions on Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li?

1958Fury
02-26-2009, 11:22 AM
True enough. The first Mortal Kombat movie was actually pretty good.
I liked it a lot at the time. Except for Goro. That special effect was horrid.

Any predictions on Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li?
I predict it will either suck or blow.

Webhead
02-26-2009, 01:48 PM
I liked it a lot at the time. Except for Goro. That special effect was horrid...

The Goro special effects were pretty decent for the time but he still did look a little stiff and awkward. That said, it was actually animatronics since it was before the hay day of CGI and thus there was only so much they could do with live actors in motorized, rubber suits.

...True enough. The first Mortal Kombat movie was actually pretty good. It of course loses a point for ending on a cliffhanger and then, instead of continuing with more awesomeness, the sequel seems to get everything wrong...

Yeah, the first MK movie was good enough that I actually bought it on DVD and have watched it a couple times. The only video-game based movie that I could ever stand to watch more than once. But yes, the gawd-awful sequel definately was a step in the very wrong direction.

...I predict it will either suck or blow.

I haven't seen it yet but regardless, this film has several strikes against it:

1) It's a video game movie. As we have just seen, the ratio of decent-to-terrible video game movies is virtually unanimously slanted in the "terrible" direction.

2) The original Street Fighter live-action film was terrible.

3) I had never even heard of this film until about 3 days ago when I saw the TV trailer which might mean the film has a very low budget and thus not capable of supporting a large advertising campaign or was put through a very hasty production/release schedule. Neither of these considerations bodes well for the film.

4) The TV trailer looks awful. Generally, even films with really awesome trailers can turn out to be dreadful. If even the trailer makes the film look bad, there's probably not a lot in the actual film that will redeem that sentiment.

5) Street Fighter is currently having a reinvigoration of popularity thanks to SF4. This vastly increases the odds that some production company is trying to cash in on the franchise to make a buck while they can.

If anyone has seen the film, please do share. I'm curious but am also quite certain that I won't be paying money to see it. I'll wait for it to run on cable in a couple months.

nijineko
02-26-2009, 09:17 PM
i'll get to try it out when someone near me gets one that i can mooch off of. ^^ i always enjoyed playing street fighter and samurai shodown.

Rochin
02-26-2009, 11:52 PM
I got both Samurai Shodowns for the Wii VC, they still kick my ass like in the arcades!! Darn them, wasted a lot of quarters back in the day. Still love them though.

nijineko
02-27-2009, 01:24 AM
both? you don't mean all four? there are four you know.... i just wish that i had had the money to have purchased that neogeo arcade upright that had all four installed in it... sigh.

Webhead
02-27-2009, 02:27 AM
both? you don't mean all four? there are four you know.... i just wish that i had had the money to have purchased that neogeo arcade upright that had all four installed in it... sigh.

True, but only Showdown 1 & 2 are currently available on the Wii Virtual Console. I only ever got to play Sam. Showdown 1 but it was fun. I didn't play it near as much as SF2 or MK2 though since a) it wasn't as popular among my friends and the arcades I played at, b) it didn't come out on the SNES until a good bit after SF2 had already swarmed home consoles and c) I was already dumping my quarters into two games (3 when Killer Instinct came out) and didn't have much for regular play on other games...though I did occasionally play Primal Rage, Virtua Fighter (didn't care for it) and Marvel Super Heroes. MSH was my other baby. As soon as I found out I could play Spidey in a fighting game, I was there. I pwned that game.

Call me old-school, but 2-D fighters were always the most enjoyable to me. I tried to get into the Virtua Fighter series. I tried the 3-D Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Soul Caliber and Tekken games. While they had their moments and nice, pretty graphics, I just never quite got comfortable with them. MK: Deception was probably the most solid and enjoyable of the 3-D fighters I've played. I still miss that game from time to time.

I was glad to see SF4 keep its 2-D roots. It is greatness!

Good times!

1958Fury
02-27-2009, 11:20 AM
I rented SF4 last night. I love it. But yeah, the 360 controller is lousy at fighting games. :(

The Goro special effects were pretty decent for the time but he still did look a little stiff and awkward. That said, it was actually animatronics since it was before the hay day of CGI and thus there was only so much they could do with live actors in motorized, rubber suits.

As much as the puppet sucked, my biggest issue with Goro in the MK movie wasn't the SFX itself, so much as one nitpicky thing with the design - the lower set of arms was too low on his body. Or maybe it was his waist that was too high, or his pecs weren't wide enough. In any event, his video game anatomy (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Goro_Mortal_Kombat.PNG) always looked really powerful, with the same massive set of pecs able to pull both arms for a devastating double-punch. In the movie (http://www.stampede-entertainment.com/monstermakers/wallpaper/wp-goro-1-s.jpg), the lower arms just looked like a second set of arms. Useful if you want to drive and eat at the same time, but not particularly scary.

Like I said, it's a nitpick, my own nitpick, but it really altered the way I perceived the character.

Webhead
02-27-2009, 04:08 PM
I rented SF4 last night. I love it. But yeah, the 360 controller is lousy at fighting games. :(...

Out of necessity, I've gotten used to (and actually surprisingly sufficient with) the 360's thumbstick for the game but it is still no substitute for an actual joystick. The D-pad, on the other hand, is utter trash and should be avoided at all costs. I can't even reliably pull off simple moves like a Hadoken with the pad. The only other annoyance is the shoulder buttons as using them can occasionally impact precision. Bottom line: it can be played pretty well with the default controller but you'd be at a small but distinct disadvantage in online play against an opponent of equal skill level who has a stick.

...As much as the puppet sucked, my biggest issue with Goro in the MK movie wasn't the SFX itself, so much as one nitpicky thing with the design - the lower set of arms was too low on his body. Or maybe it was his waist that was too high, or his pecs weren't wide enough. In any event, his video game anatomy (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Goro_Mortal_Kombat.PNG) always looked really powerful, with the same massive set of pecs able to pull both arms for a devastating double-punch. In the movie (http://www.stampede-entertainment.com/monstermakers/wallpaper/wp-goro-1-s.jpg), the lower arms just looked like a second set of arms. Useful if you want to drive and eat at the same time, but not particularly scary.

Like I said, it's a nitpick, my own nitpick, but it really altered the way I perceived the character.

Never quite noticed that but you're probably right. It was probably just and oversight in the costume design that the proper musculature was left out...that or perhaps some possible concession made due to the limitations and performance demands of the suit. I imagine the lower set of arms were the actor's and, to make the character seem sufficiently tall, the upper set was stretched a bit higher than is proportional according to the game's design. Ah well...details, details...