PDA

View Full Version : Password stupidity

kirksmithicus
02-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Now I have to change the password on my luggage. Here's why (http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/120554). You would have though that we would have all learned our lesson after Spaceballs, but no!

LOL :D

BTW I'll be checking everyone's passwords.

Grimwell
02-09-2009, 08:03 PM
lol. Mine are never that simple. I'm one step away from having insane passwords actually. There are some sites where I step back to a pair of very easy passwords, typically because I never plan to return, or don't care if the ID gets compromised. (Or I don't trust the site with my real passwords).

Etarnon
02-09-2009, 08:21 PM
I have a few hundred passwords, all alphanumeric, differing cases, with non-alpha characters where allowable, stored separately from my PC in a safe.

My wife says i spent too many years on active duty.

cplmac
02-09-2009, 11:48 PM
I have a few hundred passwords, all alphanumeric, differing cases, with non-alpha characters where allowable, stored separately from my PC in a safe.

LOL Etarnon. Old habits are hard to break through.:laugh:

Etarnon
02-10-2009, 03:44 AM
Yeah, true. And my security software was made in Moscow.

Before I put it in, I had lots of problems. After I put it in, no problems.

The guy at my FLGS joked, yeah some guy tries to hack you, the signal gets sent to this place staffed by guys who used to work for GRU & KGB, and a big black car drives up to their house and three big guys in bad suits have a good talk with whoever...and they are never seen again.

I thought, "yeah."

;)

GoddessGood
02-10-2009, 10:00 AM

Ah, but do you change them every 3 months?

For work I'm required to change out my passwords every 90 days, but they're moving towards doing it every 60 days. I've had some very crazy passwords in the past, but I tend to keep it to about a dozen that I cycle around (for non-work purposes of course) and a few simple ones for throw away sites.

Sascha
02-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Ah, but do you change them every 3 months?

For work I'm required to change out my passwords every 90 days, but they're moving towards doing it every 60 days. I've had some very crazy passwords in the past, but I tend to keep it to about a dozen that I cycle around (for non-work purposes of course) and a few simple ones for throw away sites.

My last school's online registry did that, too ... bugs the heck out of me, heh. 'Specially when I can't remember to which iteration it's set :\ Let passwords evolve naturally, dangit!

Hmmm, computer security changes, by means of natural selective pressures; sounds like a really bad (or great~) sci-fi storyline ...

MortonStromgal
02-10-2009, 01:57 PM
When I was at IBM our passwords changed daily and we didn't pick them, however they were sent to your blackberry and the blackberry password you only changed once per month.

Now I use song lyrics. So like say "I'm on the Highway to Hell" becomes iothth which then ill change a bit to something like 1oT4T4 and in 60 days I'll come up with a new song.

GoddessGood
02-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Haha, I do something similar. Someone non computer savvy was showing me how to work a program once and asked for my password (to enter it in and promptly forget). I told him it was in hex and I'd have to type it myself. It took me a minute to reassure him I didn't mean the magic spell kind of hex :biggrin:.

I worked at IBM for a summer and they weren't near as stringent ... then again I worked in a Unix FA lab on old server cards. Some folks in the labs were surprised that I knew how to work the oscilloscopes. Apparently, they didn't ...

Anybody else have to use one of those key cards that change the passcode every 60 seconds? I got issued one not too long ago and it's a right pain in the rear :S .

Grimwell
02-11-2009, 12:35 AM
I have one of those cards, the SecureID card. I only have to use it when I'm hitting my corporate network via VPN and it makes sense for that use.

My favorite 'hard password' trick is ASCII art. Adding something like that to a normal password tends to convince most password systems that you have a strong one.

nijineko
02-11-2009, 01:16 AM
i have an odd tendency to mix random words from differing languages. and also toss in a few oddball characters from the mostly unused portions of the font.

Chi
02-11-2009, 04:56 PM
What is phpbb.com

Grimwell
02-11-2009, 11:36 PM
A site dedicated to what amounts to message board software. Phpbb is one of the most used forum tools on the internet. If you aren't into creating and supporting a site like this as the admin, the site is fine as one you don't visit. ;)

MortonStromgal
02-12-2009, 11:23 AM
I worked at IBM for a summer and they weren't near as stringent ... then again I worked in a Unix FA lab on old server cards. Some folks in the labs were surprised that I knew how to work the oscilloscopes. Apparently, they didn't ...

I was there for a year and a half. My job was to be an expert(the guys in R&D *sarcastic on* loved *sarcastic off* my 1am phone calls about what the heck does this button do), write a guide and move on to the next job/site. The longest I was at any site was a few months. I enjoyed it, it was challenging but then a small company offered to let me do everything. Talk about into the fire :biggrin: and 2 years later after I cleaned up the I.T. end we got bought out and I've been kinda hanging around since with less and less to do (thus why my job vanishes in a few weeks)

Kaewin
04-22-2009, 07:53 AM
I guess i am boring. I use thre same s/n and password to the message boards I go to. Figure its not that worth to change it too much.

May bank and internet provider are something diffrent, change about once a month.

GoddessGood
04-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Haha, this old thread :) Took me a minute to realize why I was getting this sense of deja vu.

Still, funny story to tell. The bf conveys that he used to work at a security company and the passwords they would hand out were randomized but all followed the same formula of Cap letter, #, 2 lower case letters, cap letter, lower case letter, #, lower case letter.

So they were surprised when a customer came back with "Haha, guys, very funny. Can I have my real password now?" His password?

D0ngBu7r

Kaewin
04-22-2009, 08:59 AM
I was a little bored and dug around some old stuff just to see if anyone remembered it. Of course this was before my time.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-22-2009, 10:08 AM
I must have missed this thread. Glad someone raised it from the dead. My answer: I rarely if ever change my passwords for my passwords are usually around 15 digits long.

Ive also read that forcing people to frequently change their passwords is actually a bad thing, for after a while, people just start writing down their passwords and keep them near their work computer.

kirksmithicus
04-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Necromancy can be fun. :biggrin:

Sascha
04-22-2009, 05:08 PM
As long as the Council doesn't catch wind of it. Or you use a T. rex for a zombie. ^_^