PDA

View Full Version : King of the Trollhaunt Warrens 4e D&D

Dark
02-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Introduction:
The small town of Moonstair lies on the far frontier of the barony of Therund. A central stop on the north–south trade road, Moonstair was the site of an ancient portal to the Feywild.

East of the town lies the dangerous wilderness known as the Trollhaunt—a maze of swampland, thickets, gullies, and forested ridges. In ages past, this area was part of a land called Vardar, a violent realm of troll war-clans
and the monsters that served them. Vardar fell into ruin centuries ago, leaving only dank barrows and a few fogshrouded stone forts to mark its existence. The trolls and other foul creatures dwelling in the Trollhaunt degenerated into savagery, preying on each other and any travelers
foolish enough to venture into their lands.

Armed with ancient fomorian magic, the troll-chief Skalmad has sworn to destroy the small border-town of Moonstair. Somewhere in the depths of the Trollhaunt—a vast wilderness of marsh, moor, thicket, and hill—Skalmad plots his next attack. For the first time in centuries, the monsters of the Trollhaunt have a leader with the wits and the willpower to reforge the old realm of the trolls. But who dares to stand against Skalmad, King of the Trollhaunt Warrens?

This is my first attempt at DMing 4e and this will be play by post. So far the basics as from the Players's Handbook it this for characters of 11th level I am looking to have at least 5. Those who are interested please e-mail or pm me and we will take it from there.

Dark
02-09-2009, 06:09 PM
OK use Method 1: Standard Array to to generate ability scores the alignment I will leave to each player with standard gold for PCs of that level (64,060 gp with any magical items, weapons or armor to be DM approved).

We will be posting at least once a day Monday-Friday by no later than 4 P.M. est.

Please make sure that you let you know whether you plan on posting in the game that day. Inevitably I know, someone is going to get sick, become busy, or
otherwise be unable to post, so please I want to have prior warning.

Any questions please feel free to ask also please keep in mind that this is my first attempt at DMing a 4e D&D game I will be learning as I go and will use some rules that work and not using those that I feel will bog down the game play.

Dark
02-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Update Characters so far taken::dance:

1. Genasi Swordmage
2. Dwarf Fighter

We have room for two to three more come on you know you wanna. ;)

DeathByDM
02-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Hope we can get some more players.

Dark
02-24-2009, 04:14 PM
The way things are looking I think it is not going to happen sure I have had some interest but then they fail to respond. Sad fact is at this rate I may as just close the game down and cut my losses.

TheGreenLabrador
02-25-2009, 12:56 PM
I hope not... if nothing else, I could probably get another in on the game.

DeathByDM
02-25-2009, 02:48 PM
I hope not... if nothing else, I could probably get another in on the game.

Please do!

Dark
02-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Update Characters so far taken:

1.Genasi Swordmage
2.Dwarf Fighter
3.Eladrin Wizard (Waiting sheet)

I have room for one more so pm me by Friday as I am going to jump in on Monday if all goes well.

Method 1: Standard Array to to generate ability scores the alignment I will leave to each player with standard gold for PCs of that level (64,060 gp with any magical items, weapons or armor to be DM approved).

We will be posting at least once a day Monday-Friday by no later than 4 P.M. est.

Please make sure that you let you know whether you plan on posting in the game that day. Inevitably I know, someone is going to get sick, become busy, or
otherwise be unable to post, so please I want to have prior warning.

Any questions please feel free to ask also please keep in mind that this is my first attempt at DMing a 4e D&D game I will be learning as I go and will use some rules that work and not using those that I feel will bog down the game play.

Otakar
02-26-2009, 02:41 AM
Hi Dark,
I'm interested. Never gamed by post before. This would also be my first 4ED game. At what level are the characters to begin?

DeathByDM
02-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Hi Dark,
I'm interested. Never gamed by post before. This would also be my first 4ED game. At what level are the characters to begin?

Level 11

Dark
02-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Cheers for the heads up DeathByDM. :)

yukonhorror
02-27-2009, 07:50 AM
couple of questions. Don't know how to do PbP. How does that work, logistically?

When do you play?

What are the stipulations of character creation (anything goes, only the stuff in books, dragon magazine stuff allowed)?

When do you plan on starting?

I am inclined to throw my hat into the player's circle as a warlord, shaman, or barbarian (in no particular order).

TheGreenLabrador
02-27-2009, 12:00 PM
couple of questions. Don't know how to do PbP. How does that work, logistically?

When do you play?

What are the stipulations of character creation (anything goes, only the stuff in books, dragon magazine stuff allowed)?

When do you plan on starting?

I am inclined to throw my hat into the player's circle as a warlord, shaman, or barbarian (in no particular order).

Q1
PbP basically means that we each post our characters actions per round, and then the DM tells us what happens. This is both good and bad. We are rewarded with not knowing what is coming, when secret die rolls are made, etc. But bad in that it usually takes longer to get through a game.

For a more in depth description (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play-by-post_role-playing_game).

Q2
Secondly, as Dark said in his second post on this thread, we will be posting everyday before 4pm.

Q3
Basic 4th edition DnD game stuff. So, really, not much released yet. Standard Point Buy Method. Although, I used the character builder from wizards and added some items from Adventurers Vault.

Q4
Monday, if we have enough players.

Q5
There is no shaman in 4E, but there is a barbarian that will be released soon, as well as Warlord, which is now a basic class in 4th edition.

yukonhorror
02-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Q1
PbP basically means that we each post our characters actions per round, and then the DM tells us what happens. This is both good and bad. We are rewarded with not knowing what is coming, when secret die rolls are made, etc. But bad in that it usually takes longer to get through a game.

For a more in depth description (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play-by-post_role-playing_game).

Q2
Secondly, as Dark said in his second post on this thread, we will be posting everyday before 4pm.

Q3
Basic 4th edition DnD game stuff. So, really, not much released yet. Standard Point Buy Method. Although, I used the character builder from wizards and added some items from Adventurers Vault.

Q4
Monday, if we have enough players.

Q5
There is no shaman in 4E, but there is a barbarian that will be released soon, as well as Warlord, which is now a basic class in 4th edition.

Before 4pm? As in during the day not night? I don't think I can do that. Yes I am posting now, but I sometimes don't check it often. Just checking now because I am waiting on some stuff to finish and I am awaiting replies on another topic. I wish I could, but I don't want to bog down the game or flake out if works gets hectic.

Shaman is going to be released in 4e along with the barbarian. Of course, you have to have the PH2 out first. FYI, WOTC sort of split the 3.5e druid into a wildshaper spell caster (druid) and a healer/companion person (shaman).

Again, I am not familiar with PbP, so maybe I'll bog down the game just as much as everyone else. If you start mon (well before PH2 comes out), I was thinking I would use the playtest version of the barbarian or do a warlord with martial power stuff. But again, I don't want to be the anchor of the group. So think of me as a last resort.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
did I read correctly, and you only post once per day? Seems SLOOW, but I am down for that. I can check the forum once a day. I'll check this topic later today, let me know if this works, and I'll send you the necessary character stuff.

If you aren't comfortable with the barbarian playtest, I'll go ahead with the warlord. If you are, I can go either way based off what everybody else wants. But he is going to be warforged if that is allowed (using the free dragon magazine article).

DeathByDM
02-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Before 4pm? As in during the day not night? I don't think I can do that. Yes I am posting now, but I sometimes don't check it often. Just checking now because I am waiting on some stuff to finish and I am awaiting replies on another topic. I wish I could, but I don't want to bog down the game or flake out if works gets hectic.

Shaman is going to be released in 4e along with the barbarian. Of course, you have to have the PH2 out first. FYI, WOTC sort of split the 3.5e druid into a wildshaper spell caster (druid) and a healer/companion person (shaman).

Again, I am not familiar with PbP, so maybe I'll bog down the game just as much as everyone else. If you start mon (well before PH2 comes out), I was thinking I would use the playtest version of the barbarian or do a warlord with martial power stuff. But again, I don't want to be the anchor of the group. So think of me as a last resort.
did I read correctly, and you only post once per day? Seems SLOOW, but I am down for that. I can check the forum once a day. I'll check this topic later today, let me know if this works, and I'll send you the necessary character stuff.

If you aren't comfortable with the barbarian playtest, I'll go ahead with the warlord. If you are, I can go either way based off what everybody else wants. But he is going to be warforged if that is allowed (using the free dragon magazine article).

Technically, if you post in the evening, it will be before 4pm the NEXT day, so I'm sure that'll be fine. I think Dark was just specifying the time he'd be posting. If you can check/post once a day I'd assume that's what's expected.

PBP is pretty slow, especially in combat because the DM has to resolve each action. During roleplaying times, however, they go as fast as the party wants to go until the DM has to describe the results of an action.

yukonhorror
02-27-2009, 01:00 PM
why the heck not. If the group expects a minimum of 1 post per day, I can handle that.

I have a good handle on the 4e mechanics, so I can help the DM put the rules into perspective.

Question still lays, playtest barbian kosher? Warforged kosher? Martial power stuff kosher?

My warlord would put a balanced emphasis on healing and allowing you to take free atks (by sacrificing my own). My barbarian would be a throw caution into the wind powerhouse. Combat-wise. I have nice backstories to both, so what would the party prefer? (assuming the DM allows it, which is fine if he/she doesn't. What DM says, goes in my book).

DeathByDM
02-27-2009, 01:11 PM
I used Martial Power in my build and got no complaints. I'd think the Warlord would prove most useful.

yukonhorror
02-27-2009, 01:15 PM
what about warforged is that ok
btw the way, you want all necessary character info via PM? Do you put it in a character generator, or do you need everything (calculations on skills and such)?

Dark
02-27-2009, 03:53 PM
what about warforged is that ok
btw the way, you want all necessary character info via PM? Do you put it in a character generator, or do you need everything (calculations on skills and such)?

Most have sent them to my e-mail in pdf but if you can's so long as you send me the the information I will allow it.

yukonhorror
02-27-2009, 04:06 PM
will do

Dark
02-27-2009, 06:29 PM
OK I have the site up for the game will all players please go to http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Darks_Realm/
(http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Darks_Realm/) so I can invite you to the game.

To everyone else thank you for showing interest the game is now full and underway.

DeathByDM
03-02-2009, 10:20 AM
OK I have the site up for the game will all players please go to http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Darks_Realm/
(http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Darks_Realm/) so I can invite you to the game.

To everyone else thank you for showing interest the game is now full and underway.

I applied and haven't been accepted yet. Hope I'm not missing much...

yukonhorror
03-02-2009, 10:39 AM
I was wondering where our fighter was.

Dark
03-03-2009, 04:49 PM
The dwarf fighter? He posted today.

Nat_20
03-22-2010, 03:23 AM
I could whip together an 11th lvl ranger/rouge(hybrid or one of the two) if theres still room... :D

(Edit) if it helps i could fill a role if needed as well :biggrin:

yukonhorror
03-23-2010, 07:47 AM
I was part of this game, and I think it died. I don't think the DM was sold on 4e.