PDA

View Full Version : Marking targets

Grimwell
02-08-2009, 02:32 AM
Now that I've run 4E for more than a handful of sessions, one of the things I'm noting is that marking targets can get messy on the table of miniatures.

My group is using glass beads (from Magic, the tokens), pennies, dice, and a few other random objects. I'm thinking I need to come up with something a bit more clean and graceful, as some targets can have multiple marks on them and it needs to be visible, and easy to manipulate.

Anyone come up with some good answers?

Valdar
02-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Usually only one mark can be active on a given target, unless you're talking about things like Hunter's Quarry:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ask/20080924

We use tiles- one of our players got some tile samples from a maker of household tile- they're 1 inch on a side and come in a variety of colors.

Mostly, I let the marking player keep track of marks, and when I forget who's marking what, I reserve the ability to change who something's attacking based on a mark.

I've seen examples of minis that people have put a long pin on, and beads can be stacked on the pin to track status, but that's pretty extensive. If you had flat tiles you could stack them under the mini, but the tiles we have don't stack easily.

Now trying to figure out how marks work with "Glamor Blade" (Swordmage Daily 9): wondering if both the swordmage and the duplicate can mark targets separately, or be marked separately...

Aidan
02-08-2009, 01:43 PM
We've been using colored paper clips for marks, hunter's quarry, and warlock's curse. We just hang them off a conveniently projecting limb or weapon. Sometimes a mini will have up to three of them hanging on it.

1958Fury
02-08-2009, 01:47 PM
In the LFR games I played in, the DM had a bunch of colored rubber bands, the really tiny ones like they use on braces. Each character that could mark, always had two or more same-colored rubber bands hanging around his neck (or sword arm, or whatever else might protrude), and then they'd move one of the rubber bands to whatever mini got marked.

He had to make sure that there were enough different colors so that every player had a unique color. Also, nobody could use red, because he used the red rubber bands to indicate minis that were bloodied.

kirksmithicus
02-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I was thinking poker chips might be a good thing to try. Slip them under the mini, but I'm not sure about the size. They might be a little big?

Grimwell
02-09-2009, 02:29 AM
I like the paper clips & rubber bands ideas. Easy to get, even in colors. I'm not having much problem handling the rules behind marks, but it's hard to see them at times, and we do use flat things like pennies, etc.

I'm going to find something simple and effective.

dormire
05-03-2009, 10:00 PM
I just bought a pack of 24 one-inch neo-markers in 6 different colors on the cheap at aleatools.com, two weeks ago. The last two games went much more smoothly with their use.

Valdar
05-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Looks like the Penny Arcade guys are going to be making their custom stickers available for purchase:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2009/4/29/

They look pretty awesome, and don't look that hard to make at home...

Grimwell
05-05-2009, 01:23 AM
Stickers, what an easy idea! Thanks for sharing!

1958Fury
05-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Looks like the Penny Arcade guys are going to be making their custom stickers available for purchase:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2009/4/29/

They look pretty awesome, and don't look that hard to make at home...

Looks like a great idea. I'm wondering if they can be reused (and how many times), and if they leave a sticky residue on the minis.

Simplydone
05-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Hmm my old DM used pipe cleaners these small bendable multicolored rods that could be shaped into whatever form you want for conditions and marks.

Kalanth
05-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Small spacers of different colors. One of my players is a repair man for GE and he took some of the plastic washers that are used in the plumbing for washing machines and painted them to match the class they represent. This way the washer goes under the mini (he has variable sizes for small, medium, and large) and can be easily stacked if more than one mark (i.e. Curse and Divine Challenge) are placed on the target.

Take a few mini's to the hardware store and you should be able to match them up rather quickly.

vic_kidd
05-05-2009, 08:05 PM
The marks we use are colored magnets from aleatools.com and they work real good too.... just slide one under what you marked or for various conditions as well...red for bloodied so on etc.

I just bought a pack of 24 one-inch neo-markers in 6 different colors on the cheap at aleatools.com, two weeks ago. The last two games went much more smoothly with their use.