PDA

View Full Version : Feudal Japanese

akela122301
02-07-2009, 01:08 AM
Okay, I have Oriental Adventures, and want to run a campaign with the material, so I'm going to use the chat system here to do this.
Races accepted are: Human, Hengeyokai, Nezumi, Spirit Folk, and Vanara.
Human is further broken down into Clans: Crab, Crane, Dragon, Lion, Phoenix, Scorpion, Unicorn. These clans each have their own favored class and a permanent class skill.

Classes accepted are as follows: fighter, monk, ninja, ranger, rogue, samurai, shaman, shugenja, sohei, sorcerer, wujen.
If you are unfamiliar with the races or classes, tell me and I will send you the details.

The ranger class has been altered. Instead of gaining an animal companion at level 4, the ranger will instead gain their companion at level 1. All animal companion abilities are gained as if the ranger was a druid of equivalent level. The only other change is the spells gained. The ranger will gain no spells, but, starting from second level, they can use Summon Nature's Ally 1 as a spell like ability, usable a number of times per day equal to Wisdom modifier. This ability is enhanced every three levels, upgrading the spell used by one level, up to Summon Nature's Ally 7 at twentieth level.
Human Clans:
Crab: Knowledge (Shadowlands), Favored Class is Fighter
Crane: Diplomacy, Favored Class is Samurai
Dragon: Knowledge (History), Favored Class is Monk
Lion: Knowledge (war), Favored Class is Samurai
Phoenix: Knowledge (arcana), Favored Class is Shugenja
Scorpion: Bluff, Favored Class is Rogue
Unicorn: Handle Animal, Favored Class is Ranger

As for actual creation, let's say ECL 5, rolling 5d6 and dropping the two lowest, 7 times. You can use either MythWeavers or Tangled Web for your character sheet, or email me and I'll send you a character sheet format you can use.
I'll be taking up to 6 players. I do hope someone tries my altered ranger class.
Edit: Oh, the time. Figuring 8pm to midnight EST.

Bearfoot_Adam
02-07-2009, 11:38 AM
what time would you like to run? Also, please include time zone

Lucian-Sunaka
02-07-2009, 11:42 PM
The time itself is a decent start, but we also need to know what day of the week we would meet and discuss character ideas.

akela122301
02-08-2009, 01:28 AM
If you looked, you'd see on the top, where it says Days of the Week, that I mention Saturdays. And, you can discuss your characters here.

Lucian-Sunaka
02-08-2009, 12:39 PM
My appologies, I'm not used to scanning the campaign invitations in detail lol. Did you get anybody interested last night?

Anyways, I have to ask, is this purely Oriental Adventures, or will this include the Rokugan material as well?

akela122301
02-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Well, as it stands, it's going to be mostly OA, with some PB and MM thrown in. But, if you can tell me where to find the Rokugan material, I can look over that and make a decision.

Lucian-Sunaka
02-08-2009, 01:31 PM
I sent you a PM regarding the material. I'm actually playing a Rokugan Ninja in a 3.5 campaign right now, the stuff from the book meshes really well.

But, to get down to buisness, I'd like to play a monk, but that will depend on whether or not your open to accepting feats/items/PrC's from multiple splats. (I hope you know how worthless monks tend to be without enough splat support lol.)

akela122301
02-08-2009, 03:48 PM
What splats? And, a pure monk is formidable, if someone knows how to play one right.

Lucian-Sunaka
02-08-2009, 05:38 PM
I've tried several times to no avail, they just can't manage the same as the other classes. Really the stuff I'd want is across the board, I'd have to submit it on a case by case basis rather than by the book (besides I feel that's the best way to handle stuff anyway, if you just blanket accept a book you tend to ask for trouble lol)

kitsune1842
02-08-2009, 08:22 PM
What splats? And, a pure monk is formidable, if someone knows how to play one right.

How about book of Exaultd deeds? Would you allow the use of the Exaulted feats liek...Vow of Poverty?

akela122301
02-09-2009, 12:05 AM
If I let you use Vow of Poverty, you had better follow it to the letter. As for the other Exalted feats, they should be run by me individually. And the Vows are going to be considered carefully.

Snowy Kitsune
02-09-2009, 07:54 PM
I am interested in playing, if you are still taking players.

I am, however, not familiar with Oriental Adventures, and am thus going to take a few days to come up with a character concept :)

Lucian-Sunaka
02-09-2009, 09:07 PM
I've got a monk running in another campaign, so I'll pass on that, unless you were willing to accept a custom fighting style (custom list of the 3 feats that are aquired for monk levels and perhaps a slight variant on the flurry of blows technique)

Also, would you be insistant on using crossbows as-written, or would you allow mighty crossbows in the same vein as mighty bows?

akela122301
02-09-2009, 10:40 PM
We-ell...
I'd rather keep the monk fighting style as written. Mighty Crossbows, however, yes I'll allow them.

Lucian-Sunaka
02-09-2009, 10:51 PM
The reason I suggested a custom monk fighting style is that there are already a ton of them in the SRD, not at all difficult to make one using the patterns set in it. (mine would be focused on ranged combat, a Zen Archer so to speak, there were several monastic orders that focused on archery as a means of focusing one's soul.)

The link to the SRD styles I mentioned. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#monkVariantFightingSty les

Hope you find it enlightening.

akela122301
02-09-2009, 10:59 PM
I see.
Well, run the three feats by me first, and I'll say yea or nay.

Snowy Kitsune
02-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Would a nezmumi outcast work for you?

My concept is a nezumi scout who has been somehow separated from her tribe, and cast adrift in Rokugan proper. Not used to (or content with) being treated as an outsider; pitied at best, treated like a barbarian at worst; she is driven by trying to win the respect of those around her. Unfortunately, she hasn't really learned the difference between the respect gained through power, and the respect gained through being a contributing member of society :)

CN Nezumi Ranger and/or Rogue.

Don't really have any rules questions ATM; this character can easily be built using just the resources in OA and PHB alone :)

akela122301
02-10-2009, 12:04 PM
That sounds good to me. Just remember the changes I made to the Ranger class.

Lucian-Sunaka
02-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Alright, I've got my variant monk design completed, going to be sending it to you through PM. Here's hoping you like it. (I followed the style format from the SRD)

akela122301
02-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Well, looked at it, and I'll approve it. Remove the kama, sai, and siangham from the weapons list for your monk. Add the hand crossbow, short bow and dart.

Lucian-Sunaka
02-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Deal. Thanks.

Snowy Kitsune
02-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Okay, I do have a question, after all.

Mechanically, I've been wanting to build a TWF ambushing ranger type. However, RAW, this is impossible; in order to get any use out of my second weapon, I would need to stand toe-to-toe with the enemy, which doesn't suit the character concept very well (both mechanically and flavourfully).

Now, taking 5 levels of Tempest (CA) gives "two-weapon spring attack", which allows attacking once with each weapon as a standard action - exactly what I'm looking for. However, the earliest I would be able to get it would be level 14, and requires I take 5 levels of a class which otherwise doesn't contribute to the character concept at all.

Seeing this issue, I would like to propose creating a new feat that does the same as the ability described above. I'll allow you to decide on prerequisites; just let me have my dual-weapon ambushes without having to jump through too many hoops (character concept is already pretty feat-use heavy ;) ).

Thank you :)

Lucian-Sunaka
02-16-2009, 02:07 PM
May I add that in past games I've played the feat Two-Weapon Fighting was intentionally altered to allow an attack with the off-hand as a standard action, which completely fixes this problem.

(Still leaves his character slightly subpar for the task, with damage reduction issues and the inability to use power attack, etc etc, but at least it makes it a reasonable option without sucking away yet ANOTHER feat. As though two-handing didn't already make dual-wielding look like a little girl lol.)