PDA

View Full Version : The level up thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

MortonStromgal
02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
post for XP LOL

nijineko
02-06-2009, 05:00 PM
xp for what, from what, one wonders. ^^

Webhead
02-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Like boiling an ant hill or raising a goblin farm. Even if each ant is only worth 1 exp... ;)

nijineko
02-06-2009, 06:06 PM
would those be counted as evil acts, one wonders....

kirksmithicus
02-06-2009, 06:11 PM
If you want a post or thread for xp, you should start a word association thread. I've been temped but have held back thus far. :D

nijineko
02-06-2009, 06:19 PM
as in each person posts the first thing that comes to mind of the word the person above them posted?

MortonStromgal
02-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Todd was small fo his age

GoddessGood
02-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I've been on other forums where there was a separate area set aside for "Silly games" like word association, counting sheep, The Poster Below Me, caption contests, etc. It's kinda fun to do when nobody else is posting and you're bored :).

kirksmithicus
02-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Tuhzackly

Talmek
02-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Tuhzackly

Exactly

Who's next? :D

Valdar
02-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Here's how I would handle Boil and Ant Hill:

10000 ants
Each one grants 1 xp
They have +0 to initiative and they all roll separately
Each one hits you on a 20 and does 1 HP damage.

Rather than actually roll, figure out how many beat your init statistically, and each 20 does 1 HP of damage.

My guess is that the chara will be skeletonized before being able to boil the hill...

tesral
02-08-2009, 04:11 AM

What age was he too small for. Certainly the Age of Exploration, but he might have discovered it during the Age of Enlightenment. However the Age of Aquarius was just wet.

1958Fury
02-08-2009, 08:46 PM

Small? Why, he's twice as tall as I was, when I was half his height!

nijineko
02-09-2009, 07:43 PM
and here i was thinking that he was so poo' that he can't afford the 'r'. ^^

Valdar
02-10-2009, 12:52 PM
and here i was thinking that he was so poo' that he can't afford the 'r'. ^^

What was that? For a second there, I was so po' I couldn't pay attention-

tesral
02-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Curse thee, curse thee for my joke taking.

MortonStromgal
02-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Curse thee, curse thee for my joke taking.

That's what she said :banplease:

Chi
02-11-2009, 04:54 PM
as in each person posts the first thing that comes to mind of the word the person above them posted?
That would be so much fun

nijineko
02-11-2009, 05:14 PM
ten thousand.

Freejack
02-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Here's how I would handle Boil and Ant Hill:

10000 ants
Each one grants 1 xp
They have +0 to initiative and they all roll separately
Each one hits you on a 20 and does 1 HP damage.

Rather than actually roll, figure out how many beat your init statistically, and each 20 does 1 HP of damage.

My guess is that the chara will be skeletonized before being able to boil the hill...

From a Shadowrun perspective, I'd treat it as a single entity with 10,000 d6's. Then simply buy hits (1 for every 4 dice) and we're at 2,500 successes. Drop half for modifications and that's 1,250 hits you have to soak.

Do you need a new character sheet?

:D

Carl

MortonStromgal
02-11-2009, 07:03 PM
ten thousand.
all in advance

From a Shadowrun perspective, I'd treat it as a single entity with 10,000 d6's. Then simply buy hits (1 for every 4 dice) and we're at 2,500 successes. Drop half for modifications and that's 1,250 hits you have to soak.

Do you need a new character sheet?

:D

Carl

:faint:

Valdar
02-13-2009, 12:01 PM
ten thousand.

...is over 9000.

nijineko
02-13-2009, 12:36 PM
army ants.

GoddessGood
02-14-2009, 01:51 PM
...is over 9000.
His Power Levels?

Edit: Woot! I leveled up *does the level 16 dance*

Talmek
02-14-2009, 10:55 PM
army ants.

Tom and Jerry
(Remember the cartoons where they were outside having a picnic? I do.) :bolt:

cplmac
02-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Tom and Jerry
(Remember the cartoons where they were outside having a picnic? I do.) :bolt:

Does that show our age if we remember those good old cartoons that the "experts" now say are too violent for kids to watch? At least the old cartoons showed that there were consequences to your actions.

btw yes I do remember it.

nijineko
02-15-2009, 06:10 PM
refusing to acknowledge violence simply means that you are unprepared for when it catches you. that was a great cartoon.

tree.

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-16-2009, 11:42 AM
all in advance

But who's gonna fly it kid? You?

Webhead
02-16-2009, 11:50 AM
But who's gonna fly it kid? You?

You've never heard of the Millenium Falcon? It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs! I've outrun Imperial starships! Not the local bulk cruisers, mind you, I'm talking about the big, Corellian ships now...

Valdar
02-16-2009, 11:56 AM
refusing to acknowledge violence simply means that you are unprepared for when it catches you. that was a great cartoon.

tree.

I loved VGCats' rejoinder:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=208

Sneaksta
02-16-2009, 12:20 PM
first set off a magical time bomb in the middle of a group of kobolds, then run around wit' a bucket, singing " collect the parts, la la LA la la...."

MortonStromgal
02-16-2009, 06:26 PM
first set off a magical time bomb in the middle of a group of kobolds, then run around wit' a bucket, singing " collect the parts, la la LA la la...."

Darn evil smurfs...

Sneaksta
02-16-2009, 07:17 PM
blue bastages...

" An orc walks up to the gates, looks up to the guardhouse, and shouts " How's yer wife and my piglets?"

Guess what the orc looks like now?

Sneaksta
02-17-2009, 10:10 AM
blue bastages...

Guess what the orc looks like now?

A pork-u-pine..............

You ever stretch a rope between two trees, across the path, about chest high to mounted pursuer's, in the dark? Invigorating!

:whoo:

nijineko
02-17-2009, 10:48 AM
sovereign glue to close off a loop of rope, then when the bad guys are climbing up/down it, a bit of universal solvent. ^^

Sneaksta
02-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I also like the barbed rope...
a minimum weight, for a minimum time, and the hemp stretches/breaks away ....and the rope's inner core is revealed... barbed wire... hold on , get hurt, let go, get really hurt.. lol

nijineko
02-17-2009, 02:18 PM
interesting variant has needles woven into the rope, so long as the rope is hung "points down" so to speak, no issues... but should you ever tie the rope off using the other end and put weight on it, the needles are tied such that when weight is applied in the right direction they protrude.... works with thorns and small blades too. make a few of them brilliant energy weapons... maybe some poison....

yet another variant has a small container of alchemist's fire attached or woven in. pull hard enough, or depend enough weight, and the container opens exposing the rope to the substance within....

Talmek
02-18-2009, 02:15 PM
interesting variant has needles woven into the rope, so long as the rope is hung "points down" so to speak, no issues... but should you ever tie the rope off using the other end and put weight on it, the needles are tied such that when weight is applied in the right direction they protrude.... works with thorns and small blades too. make a few of them brilliant energy weapons... maybe some poison....

yet another variant has a small container of alchemist's fire attached or woven in. pull hard enough, or depend enough weight, and the container opens exposing the rope to the substance within....

Talk about creativity, with a little sadism mixed in! That'd be great for the party rogue to carry around...just in case.

:laugh:

tesral
02-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Talk about creativity, with a little sadism mixed in! That'd be great for the party rogue to carry around...just in case.

Climb the what ever and leave a rope behind for the pursuers. Mean, creative, but mean.

I would prefer something that acted a little slower. So the person climbing my rope got higher before it gave way.

InvestFDC
02-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Climb the what ever and leave a rope behind for the pursuers. Mean, creative, but mean.

I would prefer something that acted a little slower. So the person climbing my rope got higher before it gave way.

Like in Shadowrun, the rope that burn like a super fast cannon fuse. Touch the catalyst to the end and poof.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Wow, just noticed I'm level 5. Never paid attention to the levels. Kinda cool.

tesral
02-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Like in Shadowrun, the rope that burn like a super fast cannon fuse. Touch the catalyst to the end and poof.
Wow, just noticed I'm level 5. Never paid attention to the levels. Kinda cool.

I don't either.

Detonation cord as a rope. Great if you have several people following you. Let the first one up, blow the cord for the second, and leave the rest at the bottom. You can then deal with one person and have dealt with another. You split them up and chew them up.

Valdar
02-24-2009, 12:59 PM
:focus:

So close to level 20- my meter says 99 percent. Here's hoping this post does it-

Edit: Damn...

tesral
02-24-2009, 01:39 PM

So close to level 20- my meter says 99 percent. Here's hoping this post does it-

There is a topic?

Farcaster
02-24-2009, 03:42 PM

Just so you know, the level ups are point distributions are done on a schedule -- every 15 minutes I think? So, unless you are exceedingly lucky, you won't see it instantly :)

boulet
02-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Just so you know, the level ups are point distributions are done on a schedule -- every 15 minutes I think? So, unless you are exceedingly lucky, you won't see it instantly :)

Yeah that's what happens when one pays pixies below minimum wage, they start getting lazy

Sneaksta
02-28-2009, 12:39 AM
prepare in advance......

Have a boulder/block at the top of a cliff, wall, etc... rope hanging.... the Boulder/block is rounded off on the drop side... 1 person climbs, its ok, get 2 or more on, and it is just enough weight to roll the boulder/block off the edge........

Bombs away! :laugh:

Im gonna post this in the new traps thread... LOL
the party comes down a tunnel to a door. The door has several teeth embedded in it ( now this might make the pc's wonder ) rogue checks for traps, none found on closed door. get the door open, and there is a nice clean room, with a weapons rack that is putting off a glow. well, as the party starts entering the room, the second person to step on the stone floor past the threshold activates the pressure plate, and the door slams shut right in the next PC's face....(1d4 damage/teeth...) btw, the glowing weaponsrack is just covered in glowing subterrainian lichen....

now who is a bastard.....:cool:

nijineko
03-01-2009, 12:29 AM

candles. placed just so. a torch will work in a pinch.

if you have enough gold, there is a handy little magic item in the form of a stake. pound it in to the ground, and a few rounds later it activates. proximity activated fireball.

tesral
03-01-2009, 02:45 AM
candles. placed just so. a torch will work in a pinch.

if you have enough gold, there is a handy little magic item in the form of a stake. pound it in to the ground, and a few rounds later it activates. proximity activated fireball.

When and if one has the luxury to plan such things.

Soft Serve
03-02-2009, 03:18 PM
You've never heard of the Millenium Falcon? It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs! I've outrun Imperial starships! Not the local bulk cruisers, mind you, I'm talking about the big, Corellian ships now...

:laugh::rofl::laugh:

not only does that entertain me, but it symbolizes my laughter at the Star Wars Quote!

2 birds 1 stone. :biggrin:

Vouru kasa
03-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Toad: CR 1/10
10 toads = CR 1...
1000 Toads = alot of lvl's up lol.....:biggrin:

Talmek
03-07-2009, 03:14 AM
Quick! Name your favorite foods!

1. Italian food
2. Tex-Mex
3. Asian (Am I right in assuming that the term "Oriental" is now considered offensive in ALL use?)

tesral
03-07-2009, 11:51 AM

1. Italian food
2. Tex-Mex
3. Asian (Am I right in assuming that the term "Oriental" is now considered offensive in ALL use?)

Mediterranean cooking. Be that Greek, Arabic, Italian, southern French, just yum. Olive Oil and Garlic.

Dimthar
03-07-2009, 08:57 PM

1) Mexican (I miss my Grandma's cooking) - Hope my angry wife does not see this.

2) Italian (I agree with Tesral, Olive Oil and Garlic, hmmm... hmm..) Mi Piace!

3) Greek! Lamb!

4) Brazilian!

Anything with Meat! My Mom went vegetarian when I was 12! Had to use my allowance to buy Tacos and Hamburgers!

tesral
03-08-2009, 01:22 AM
Anything with Meat! My Mom went vegetarian when I was 12! Had to use my allowance to buy Tacos and Hamburgers!

That is annoying. It is one thing for someone to decide they will go vegetarian, quite another for them to decide that you will, even a parent.

Soft Serve
03-08-2009, 05:00 AM
I refuse to devolve into a vegetarian. Feel free to climb down the food chain, I'll remain an Omnivore. :D

Favorite foods

1: Anything a low-Middle Class family would eat with enough seasoning on it. I had to live with "How many days is that expired?...it's still good..." No matter how many days it is actually expired canned food apparently never goes bad if you don't have a lot of money...

2: Microwaveables. Not for quality but ease of use...

3: Burger King. I'm American, I love being American, thats damn straight I'll have it my way...Screw you Olive Garden chefs..."I'm sorry you can't have ALL THREE SAUCES with your stuffed shells because they won't all FIT IN THE MICROWAVE!!!"

BK Lounge for me. :biggrin:

Dimthar
03-08-2009, 08:36 PM
That is annoying. It is one thing for someone to decide they will go vegetarian, quite another for them to decide that you will, even a parent.

Well, Truth is we were free to choice. Mom, Bro and Sis (she later defected) joined the movement, I did not. But Mom's policy was: I am not cooking anything with meat.

So if we were out (@ uncle's, grandparents', parties, at school, etc.) I was free to eat any meat. My grandparents (lived in a small town, had a Ranch) always sent me back with a bunch of grilled steaks.

I am taller than my brother though ;). Hate the Mushroom Pizza (Symbol of the oppression).

tesral
03-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Well if the person fixing the meals says "no meat" then they are choosing for you. Frankly parental control ends at the front door.

I consider mushroom pizza insipid. My wife never met a mushroom she didn't like. The problem is she is way too tall to be a hobbit.

schonovic
03-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I believe people are most comfortable in boxy habitats and so would enjoy living on a spaceship designed around that comfort zone. I attempt to reflect this theory in the spacecraft I design. Actually, I have been able to design various spacecraft blueprints under this mindset. The space stations and habitats I design are innovative and unique despite following the centripetal gravity simulation of the 60's and early 70's. This is my hobby of over 30 years and I hope to expand my talent by working for a science fiction gaming resource magazine though I do not know of one currently under publication. Perhapse someone could help by suggesting one or hopefully some.

Freejack
03-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Ohhh, favorites eh.

1. Indian, specifically Northern Indian foods.

2. Mexican but not the Tex-Mex stuff.

3. Peanut-Butter and Jelly. Organic PB without extra oils or sugars. I have that every day for lunch.

There are specific places for some foods. For instance I'm not much of a BBQ fan, but the local Ribhouse has some great BBQ ribs. And while I do like pizza now and then, I prefer Anthony's and Nick & Willies.

Carl

GoddessGood
03-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Chinese take-out, Pizza and KC style BBQ. Also, my beau's pot roast is pretty great :).

Pray for me folks, I'm entering my 3rd week after quitting soda cold-turkey. More than anything I'm just trying to cut out artificial preservatives and sweeteners, so I'm just drinking water, tea, coffee and juice. I miss the convenience a lot, since pretty much any time I want a drink I have to go and prepare it.

Soft Serve
03-09-2009, 11:13 AM
wow that means no milk either...I woulden't be able to do it.

Milk, Soda, and Tea are all I drink. And Flavored water but thats only if theres nothing else.

GoddessGood
03-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Oh, I forgot milk. Yeah, I drink that too, but I should probably stop that. It's just that cereal is all I have time for in the morning anymore :S

Valdar
03-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Telling parents how to raise their kids is a touchy subject. Would you prevent a parent from raising their kid vegetarian, when that's a core belief that they want to pass onto their progeny (or at least, try)? In this country, we have parents that are raising their kids to be racist, violent, chain smokers, or to have more kids than they can afford- surely we'd stop this first, rather than attack what may be a healthier diet?

I've recently gone semi-veg- I'll eat meat a few times a week, but I think there's plenty of ways to get protein without all that extra fat and cholesterol (and yes, I know that cheese contains enzymes from animals, so it isn't even vegetarian). Check public health rates in this country- heart disease is pretty much linked to access to meat (I'd say tobacco too, but heart disease is still on the rise with smoking plummeting, so...)

Mushroom pizza? Has to have something with it- olives at least, maybe even sausage, and certainly a ton of pepper flakes. Mushrooms don't have enough flavor to stand on their own.

1958Fury
03-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Telling parents how to raise their kids is a touchy subject. Would you prevent a parent from raising their kid vegetarian, when that's a core belief that they want to pass onto their progeny (or at least, try)?

I don't know if this is true, maybe someone can confirm. But I've heard that if you don't eat any meat by the time you're seven (or so), that you can never eat meat, because the body doesn't learn how to digest it.

IF true, then that's a problem. It's one thing to say, "As long as you live under my roof, you're a vegetarian, but once you're 18 you can do what you like." But it's another thing to push your choice on the child, knowing full well that it means they'll never be able to eat meat, even after they grow up and can make their own decisions.

tesral
03-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Telling parents how to raise their kids is a touchy subject. Would you prevent a parent from raising their kid vegetarian, when that's a core belief that they want to pass onto their progeny (or at least, try)? In this country, we have parents that are raising their kids to be racist, violent, chain smokers, or to have more kids than they can afford- surely we'd stop this first, rather than attack what may be a healthier diet?

Mushroom pizza? Has to have something with it- olives at least, maybe even sausage, and certainly a ton of pepper flakes. Mushrooms don't have enough flavor to stand on their own.

That is my problem with it. Mushrooms assume flavors they are cooked with. They have very little of their own.

As to the former, sure, it's one thing to raise a kid from the start that way, but tell them at the age of 12 they have to switch? A person is mostly made at that point. It might ber her family and her kids, but I don't approve.

Never mind I object on biological principles. We are omnivores, not herbivores. I like my veggies too. However I like meat, and enjoy meat. I eat the diet my body is made to eat and that includes animals.

My wife baked bread last night. Honest flower, water, eggs, and yeast bread. That one pound loaf didn't last passed dinner tonight. It is all we ate last night. Big, thick slices of warm oven fresh bread with melted butter. The left overs topped off our peas and chicken tonight.

I have refused to eat white bread for years. The store bought stuff is worst than tasteless. I have not changed my mind about factory made bread, but I'll take that stuff that came out of the oven any day.

Talmek
03-10-2009, 02:13 AM
Chinese take-out, Pizza and KC style BBQ. Also, my beau's pot roast is pretty great :).

Pray for me folks, I'm entering my 3rd week after quitting soda cold-turkey. More than anything I'm just trying to cut out artificial preservatives and sweeteners, so I'm just drinking water, tea, coffee and juice. I miss the convenience a lot, since pretty much any time I want a drink I have to go and prepare it.

Think of it this way: By being forced to prepare your drinks, it will give you time to think about how good it will be!

Ain't psychology grand! :D

GoddessGood
03-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Haha, no more often I'm just too lazy to get up and get dehydrated in spite of myself.

Dimthar
03-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Telling parents how to raise their kids is a touchy subject.... ...surely we'd stop this first, rather than attack what may be a healthier diet?

I rembember that last year (?) Japan put some Laws into place in order to "Fine" Companies which did not control / motivated / forced (?) their employees to loose weight. I wonder how it worked for them so far.

Although there is little arguments against loosing some unhealthy weight, my first thought was on how many lawsuits would be made in USA if such a Law passed. Freedom to do the "Wrong" thing and all.

You can eat until you kill yourself, but how about the impact on your children, not just the bad example, but the potential loss of a parental figure, loss of income which can end on less opportunities to go to college, or the cost to tax payers for your reckless gluttony, shoud Child Protection Services intervene if your kids are obese?

Who decides what is Wrong?

What works better, the carrot or the stick?

WHO KILLED THE COMMANDER!? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuente_Ovejuna)

tesral
03-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Well as surprising as it might sound, it is possible to have strong opinions and not shove them down someone throat

Valdar
03-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Think of it this way: By being forced to prepare your drinks, it will give you time to think about how good it will be!

Ain't psychology grand! :D

I'm forcing myself to prepare my drinks too, but that's just because I'm working on my mixology.

Oh wait, you meant healthy drinks. My bad :D

You can eat until you kill yourself, but how about the impact on your children, not just the bad example, but the potential loss of a parental figure, loss of income which can end on less opportunities to go to college, or the cost to tax payers for your reckless gluttony, shoud Child Protection Services intervene if your kids are obese?

That's the nature of Public Health. I think the major issue will be when society has to take on the costs of health care for the uninsured obese, just like it has to now for the uninsured chain smoker or seat belt non-wearer. The extreme view is to let people die that brought on such problems on themselves, but we're more civilized than that in practice.

For now, though, cheap calories rule, so we'll see more obesity in the short term. I wouldn't even call it gluttony- the sort of meal you get served through your car window will fatten you, even if you eat what feels like a sensible amount...

Soft Serve
03-11-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm forcing myself to prepare my drinks too, but that's just because I'm working on my mixology.

Oh wait, you meant healthy drinks. My bad :D

Haha! I don't drink, but we have a book on Mixology here and I really want to learn how to do all that nifty stuff. I mean I can juggle, I'll never drink my own supply, so I have great bartender potential...lol.

DragonPrince
03-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Yeah the gov't says it is bad to smoke, drink, and eat certain foods. But if you don't smoke, drink or eat certain foods you can still end up dying from the same things. UMMMM What sense does that make???

I have eaten red meat for most of my life, i am also a smoker, and yes I drink even now and then. I am healthy, no problems to my knowledge. I even just had a complete physical and passed that with flying colors....

Soft Serve
03-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Because Alcohol still impares your ability to drive, and destroys brain cells along with your liver. You can still lose braincells by headbanging or doing other violent things involving your forehead/skull area, and you can always damage your kidneys being on the loseing end of a good fight. But Alcohol is sure fire going to kill those both for you, and potentially destroy your primary vehicle. I mean didn't you see page 5,000 of the DMG 3.5? "If a character is driving a wagon after drinking at least one more ale over their CON score they take a -4 penalty on their drive checks."

(not really)

Lung cancer is actually really popular now in people who didn't smoke just because somewhere down the line their grandparents we're lighting up some Winston Cigarettes happily advertised by the early Flintstones commercials (You know...so they would apply to children. Not unlike how Disney advertises their bands by making all the female fans reach for the crotch area of the male singers so they can sell sex to 13-and-under girls)

So if smoking doesnt' immediately affect you, and your lungs are perfectly fine, secondhand smoke hits people near you who aren't as healthy with their lungs, it could affect your family somewhere down the line, and your helping giant evil companies afford their giant evil ways.

...But red meat is f-in amazing. :D

GoddessGood
03-14-2009, 11:50 AM
...But red meat is f-in amazing. :D
This. Then again, red meat is the reason my house is full of smoke right now and my eyes are burning. The hubs tried to make salisbury steak the other night in my cast iron dutch oven. He let the sucker cook for over an hour and a half (because it was "braising") in the gravy. By the time he opened the lid, there was no gravy. Just a brownish, pasty goo at the bottom and some crunchy meat patties. I told him clean up was on him :). Unfortunately, his method of cleaning the cast iron dutch oven was to boil water in it to get the gunk off. Well, the gunk came off ... but so did the seasoned coating. Bare iron rusts really well, so I'm currently re-seasoning it, a process which requires coating the pot in crisco (or other fatty oil) and baking it at 350 for an hour. Hence the smoke.

Valdar
03-14-2009, 12:43 PM
So if smoking doesnt' immediately affect you, and your lungs are perfectly fine, secondhand smoke hits people near you who aren't as healthy with their lungs, it could affect your family somewhere down the line, and your helping giant evil companies afford their giant evil ways.

I even hate third-hand smoke, if that's what you call it. You know when people come inside after courteously smoking outside, and they smell like they've been osmoting the smoke by rubbing burning tobacco leaves all over their skin and clothes? Yeah, that. Sorry, if there's smoke visibly rising off your clothes, you're still smoking inside even if you've already stubbed out your cig.

kirksmithicus
03-15-2009, 12:48 AM
I smoked for 22 years, beginning at the age of 15. I started tying to quite the day my son was born 19 months ago. It took some time, but I haven't had a one in almost 14 months. I was also diagnosed with diabetes shortly after that. Some days my brain twitches, and all I want to do is chug a Mt. Dew and have a ****ing cigarette, lest I strangle someone. I work through it, but I have to say that I was much more mellow when my brain had sugar and nicotine to placate it. :biggrin:

Telling parents how to raise their kids is a touchy subject.But if those parents are related to you, you should feel obligated. My niece and nephew (my sisters kids) both had enamel hypoplasia, which can be caused by genetic disorders, but also by malnutrition. Given the fact that no one else in our family has ever had it, and by their poor diet (90% junk food), I guessed that it was the latter. My sister, of course told me that I was full of shit, but I told my brother-in-law that if they didn't believe me, they could always take the kids to the doctor for an expert opinion. Sure enough, the next time I visit, my sister is forcing her kids to eat veggies. People have terrible diets these days.

On the other hand, there was the hippie woman at Wal-mart who had her three boys with her, all of whom had hair down to their butts. She was trying to pick the middle one (8-9 year old) up off the floor in front of the hair cut place because he was throwing a tantrum and screaming "I want a buzz cut" at the top of his lungs. It wouldn't have really been my place to interfere. So I just laughed at the irony.

tesral
03-15-2009, 11:26 AM
I smoked for 22 years, beginning at the age of 15. I started tying to quite the day my son was born 19 months ago. It took some time, but I haven't had a one in almost 14 months. I was also diagnosed with diabetes shortly after that. Some days my brain twitches, and all I want to do is chug a Mt. Dew and have a ****ing cigarette, lest I strangle someone. I work through it, but I have to say that I was much more mellow when my brain had sugar and nicotine to placate it. :biggrin:

Yea the switch to diet pop was the hardest part. Any more the regular "high fructose corn syrup stuff tastes like it would gag a goat.

I never have smoked. I can't even stand being around tobacco. And yes, someone that comes in reeking of smoke is about enough to make me puke. I don't think smokers realize the effect that the evil weed has on people that do not smoke.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-15-2009, 05:35 PM

1. Italian food
2. Tex-Mex
1) Pizza
2) Garbage Burritos
3) Chinese Food

Damn! Why cant they be the healthy ones?

Best of luck to you. It gets easier, just hang on.
Yeah, cant stand being around smoke, either. Most likely due to the fact that both my parents smoked when i was a kid. When it comes to drinks, i just fill my glass with filtered water and add a bit of 100% juice for some flavor. Yep, it's easy and boring, but the organs love it.

Soft Serve
03-15-2009, 07:10 PM
ahahha nice. 100% juice plus 100% water?

cplmac
03-15-2009, 07:15 PM
ahahha nice. 100% juice plus 100% water?

So then does that mean that the combined beverage is 200%?

Soft Serve
03-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Apparently. Add another 50% improper fraction juice and that's absolutely deliciousness in a glass.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Hilarious. I've been doing it for years and it has worked well for me. Trick is, now-a-days, is to examine juices closely for most are only a small percentage of real juice.

Dimthar
03-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Quick!

Being Political Correct is getting harder this days.

One time I was at GAP with my then 3y old girl practicing the Colors in Spanish. While teaching the color black in a dress, I felt a strong disturbance in the force, I raised my head and behind the rack where the black dress was, an african-american lady had this furious look in her eyes. Well, I felt bad for 5 seconds and then decided to ignore her.

In my previous work, they put some Rat venom in the warehouse (next to our lab), one Rat decided to die inside the wall, and this awful smell started to fill the air, we joked about being victims of the Black Plague (Black Death), we stopped when a coworker let us know that one person in particular thought it was offensive.

So any reference on why "Oriental" is offensive these days?

Hispanic is another funny one. Which literally means from Spain (Spain and its former colonies). So it does not include the Brazilians, since Brazil was a Portuguese colony but should include the Phillippines for example.

Latino if understood as those speaking a language derived from Latin should include the Italian-Americans, French-Americans (Quebec?) also.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Just the other day i was talking to a couple of friends(of chinese origin) and they couldnt explain why oriental was politically incorrect. They also feel the pc terminology is getting out of control.

Soft Serve
03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
the pc terminology?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-15-2009, 08:46 PM
pc: political correctness

kirksmithicus
03-15-2009, 11:32 PM
1. Fried been burritos from the gas station (for breakfast)
2. Massaman Chicken (chicken and peanuts baby)
3. Bi bim bab (I love Korean food)
4. Kimchi (smells like the inside of my boots, but it tastes so ****ing good)
5. General Tsao chicken (you may have been a ruthless warlord, but your chicken is delectable.)
6. Evil Jungle chicken (and I love the name)
7. Carrots soaked in jalapeno juice (the best carrots EVER!)
8. Goat (ugly but tasty)
9. Cow
10. Brazil nuts

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-16-2009, 12:35 AM
#'s 2, 6, and 7, i'd love to try. I would agree with you with the rest, including kimchi.

Soft Serve
03-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Dude...Crazy.

Where can I get Evil Jungle Chicken?

The isle of the damned?

tesral
03-16-2009, 12:51 AM
pc: political correctness

Politically Correct: The act of offending someone right in front of you to avoid the chance of offending someone later that isn't even there.

Soft Serve
03-16-2009, 12:59 AM
ROFL Copter!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-16-2009, 03:34 AM
Hilarious, and more correct than many would admit. I'm, of course, referring to tesral's definition of political correctness. Just forgot to check the box.

Valdar
03-16-2009, 12:39 PM
So any reference on why "Oriental" is offensive these days?

It's offensive to describe people in terms of where they are in reference to you, rather than where they're from.

"Oriens" is Latin for "East". So you're calling them "Easterners", rather than referring to where they're actually from, which is Asia. This is why most Asians prefer that term to "Oriental".

It does get out of control, though. My GF teaches kindergarten in a low-income neighborhood, and she can say that while she has three African-American students, eight of her students are Black. The other five are from Somalia and Kenya, so "African-American" doesn't apply.

Soft Serve
03-16-2009, 01:04 PM
That's why that's offensive?

I wonder if we can get a word thats offensive to Canadians.

Mounties?

Dimthar
03-16-2009, 02:21 PM
It does get out of control, though. My GF teaches kindergarten in a low-income neighborhood, and she can say that while she has three African-American students, eight of her students are Black. The other five are from Somalia and Kenya, so "African-American" doesn't apply.

Asians is to broad, since it includes Arabia, Turkey, Iran, India, and Russia among others. The term Asians represents less the "Focus Group" we are refering too by using the term Orientals.

Yes, Oriental and Occidental is a Eurocentric concept with Greenwich in the middle, but didn't the Chinesse for example called their land "The Middle Kingdom"?

I remember a Colombian taking offense on being called Hispanic, he said he was not Mexican. I just shrugged.

I am a born and raised Mexican, don't mind being classified as Hispanic or Latino since I share enough traits to be considered from that group, being Spanish my mother-tongue the most obvious. I laugh at most latino-hispanic jokes. I have 2 black First-cousins, they are Puerto Ricans :)

The joke that I couldn't stop laughing was the one in the South Park Episode of 300, when they dressed a Mexican to look Iranian.

Scene when a Co-worker from Honduras heard me speak in Spanish:
- You know, I thought you were from Pakistan.
- Yeah, I get that a lot.
- Where are you from?
- Monterrey, Mex.
(after giving a small thought to my response)
- When did your parents move from Pakistan to Mexico?

I guess 700y of Moor ruling in half of Spain did not left any DNA behind. Damn you "EL CID"! :(

---------------

Who is actually leveling up with this Thread?

Valdar
03-16-2009, 04:21 PM
That's why that's offensive?

I wonder if we can get a word thats offensive to Canadians.

Mounties?

"Americans".

Asians is to broad, since it includes Arabia, Turkey, Iran, India, and Russia among others. The term Asians represents less the "Focus Group" we are refering too by using the term Orientals.

When I was in grad school, there was an effort to popularise the term "Southwest Asian" instead of "Middle Eastern". It didn't take.

Soft Serve
03-16-2009, 07:14 PM
No. "American" is offensive to every nation. Not just Canadia.

Srt. Freeman
03-16-2009, 07:22 PM
How did we go from a random post for XP to how the term oriental is offenive? wtf fourm whores............lawlz. j/k guys :P

Soft Serve
03-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Nice first post.
Calling everyone whores.

btw that term is offensive to sluts.

They prefer to be called "little people"

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-16-2009, 08:44 PM
LOL... ouch!

nijineko
03-17-2009, 12:26 AM
completely missed the joke.... unless someone is compensating for something, in which case, i only half-missed it.

kirksmithicus
03-17-2009, 12:28 AM
Dude...Crazy.

Where can I get Evil Jungle Chicken?

The isle of the damned?
Thai Kumkoon (http://local.yahoo.com/info-18454357-thai-kumkoon-restaurant-norman#reviews)
1347 W Lindsey St
Norman, Oklahoma.

I triple dog dare you to call and see if they will deliver to your area code.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Okay, gotta ask: What's in evil chicken? I gotta know.

kirksmithicus
03-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Funny story:

I was at the farmers market in Vail Colorado several years back and it was like no farmers market I've ever been to, very expensive and rather obnoxious. So I'm standing in line behind this uptight rich woman at a noodle stand. When she gets to the front of the line the guy behind the counter asks her what he can get her, in an English accent, since he's English. This broad goes off on the dude because she had trouble understanding what he was saying. She said and I quote: "you goddamn foreigners need to learn to speak proper English if your going to come to our country and work". She then stomped off if a fit. Of course the English guy is just stunned. So I step up and tell him; "yeah you limey English bastard, learn to speak English or go home to England"! Stupid people, they'll get you when you least expect it.

Don't know exactly, but it's a little sweet and a little spicy. Call the number and ask.
This one time, I had to ask the African-American store clerk if they had any Brazil nuts, only I'd never heard them called Brazil nuts. Only the colloquial and rather racist term for them. So I labored to described the type of nuts I wanted, and she says "oh you mean them [insert colloquial and racist name here], they're over by the Avocado's, and BTW they are also called Brazil nuts".
going for the --- Merged from Double Post --- record.

yeah baby, yeah!
I could do this all day
but I should probably go to sleep now.
okay, one more.
Okay, I'm serious now.
Last time.
Ha, just kidding.
I'm a double post whore, with sleep deprivation.
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ee!

Stupid people, they'll get you when you least expect it.
Like now!
Okay, maybe now.
No, now!
somebody stop me.
Please!

This broad goes off on the dude
Is dude PC? I know broad is :P
One more, I went to college with this African-American woman from small town Kansas. Her and a few other people in the class, who were also from small towns were discussing what had scared them when they first moved to the big city, crime, bad driving, etc. So she says, "black people" turns out she only knew less then six African-American people growing up, all of them in her immediate family.

Soft Serve
03-17-2009, 02:47 AM
Funny story:

I was at the farmers market in Vail Colorado several years back and it was like no farmers market I've ever been to, very expensive and rather obnoxious. So I'm standing in line behind this uptight rich woman at a noodle stand. When she gets to the front of the line the guy behind the counter asks her what he can get her, in an English accent, since he's English. This broad goes off on the dude because she had trouble understanding what he was saying. She said and I quote: "you goddamn foreigners need to learn to speak proper English if your going to come to our country and work". She then stomped off if a fit. Of course the English guy is just stunned. So I step up and tell him; "yeah you limey English bastard, learn to speak English or go home to England"! Stupid people, they'll get you when you least expect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/Greys/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=64819#post64819)

Don't know exactly, but it's a little sweet and a little spicy. Call the number and ask.
This one time, I had to ask the African-American store clerk if they had any Brazil nuts, only I'd never heard them called Brazil nuts. Only the colloquial and rather racist term for them. So I labored to described the type of nuts I wanted, and she says "oh you mean them [insert colloquial and racist name here], they're over by the Avocado's, and BTW they are also called Brazil nuts".
going for the --- Merged from Double Post --- record.

yeah baby, yeah!
I could do this all day
but I should probably go to sleep now.
okay, one more.
Okay, I'm serious now.
Last time.
Ha, just kidding.
I'm a double post whore, with sleep deprivation.
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ee!

Quote:
Stupid people, they'll get you when you least expect it.
Like now!
Okay, maybe now.
No, now!
somebody stop me.
Please!

Quote:
This broad goes off on the dude
Is dude PC? I know broad is :P
One more, I went to college with this African-American woman from small town Kansas. Her and a few other people in the class, who were also from small towns were discussing what had scared them when they first moved to the big city, crime, bad driving, etc. So she says, "black people" turns out she only knew less then six African-American people growing up, all of them in her immediate family.

I bet
that I
totaly win the double post war by quoting yours...

WIN

tesral
03-17-2009, 07:45 AM
It's called "multiquote"

Nice first post.
Calling everyone whores.

Snerk.

So I step up and tell him; "yeah you limey English bastard, learn to speak English or go home to England"! Stupid people, they'll get you when you least expect it.

Reminds me of the one newstype person that got so used to being shipped from country to country she lost track of where she was. So she walks into a shop at her latest destination and askes. "Does anyone speak English." To which the clerk replained. "I jolly well hope so Mum." She was in London.

I am sick of PC really sick of it. Something else I'm sick of is race. It doesn't exist. I am Human, you are Human, all God's children are Human.

waxlion78
03-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Nice first post.
Calling everyone whores.

They prefer to be called "little people"

I'm glad you caught that, not many people recognize the huge difference between whores and sluts. For example whores have the business sense to charge for what sluts are willing to give away for free. Oddly enough sluts must view themselves as charitable people, because even implying that they might be able to make some money selling a product that they willing donate to society offends them to the point where they take you off their list of charitable organizations... um.. so I hear.

Sluts would be like freeware that becomes offended and stops working the second you click on the donate button.

Soft Serve
03-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Exactly.

Therefor sluts deserve statues in amusment parks just as much as presidents.

:cool:

waxlion78
03-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Exactly.

Therefor sluts deserve statues in amusment parks just as much as presidents.

:cool:

Hmm... the Hall of Sluts... an attraction featuring several creepy and lifelike animatronic sluts. You wouldn't be allowed to charge admission, though, then it'd be the Hall of Whores, which I think is in Vegas.

kirksmithicus
03-18-2009, 10:33 AM
totaly win the double post war by quoting yours...

You will pay for your insolence Soft Serve!
you owe me a 1.99 plus tax.

Soft Serve
03-18-2009, 01:31 PM
....P.O. Box I can send it to? :lol:

cigamnogard
03-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Wow I just finished ready this post and on the first page I was pretty ure I knew what i wanted to post for an XP tale, then a few pages later I knew what food I wanted to post about, and a few pages later I had a rough idea what parent topic I wanted to tackle, and now - now I just don't know :confused:

Envikin
03-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Wow I just finished ready this post and on the first page I was pretty ure I knew what i wanted to post for an XP tale, then a few pages later I knew what food I wanted to post about, and a few pages later I had a rough idea what parent topic I wanted to tackle, and now - now I just don't know :confused:

:eek: You took the time to read all those for the XP post? You are far more diligent than I would ever be.

Soft Serve
03-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Give a line to each subject.

I would like XP please and thank you easy-to-manipulate system.
Taco Bell es muy good-o.
Strapping your children in leashes is evil, hanging them by it is worse.
Also I'm confuzzeled, so I owe someone money?

There...see how easy that was?

kirksmithicus
03-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Give a line to each subject.

I would like XP please and thank you easy-to-manipulate system.
Taco Bell es muy good-o.
Strapping your children in leashes is evil, hanging them by it is worse.
Also I'm confuzzeled, so I owe someone money?

There...see how easy that was?
or you could just spew out some random nonsense like the rest of us.

Brother, I'm gonna get some Thai food tomorrow even if I have to use a pack of those leashed up brats like a +5 Little-tykes Battle Flail (TM) to clear the my way to the front of the line. Softy, you better have my money by the end of the week or I'll jack slap you like I did those old people at the retirement home yesterday. :D

tesral
03-19-2009, 12:07 AM
or you could just spew out some random nonsense like the rest of us.

Flat foot floozy with a floy, floy!
Floy doy, Floy doy, Floy doy, Floy doy!

kirksmithicus
03-19-2009, 12:47 AM
They should :ban: Tesral from this thread, he has like over 3000 posts already. What else could he possibly have to say?

Soft Serve
03-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Floy doy, Floy doy, Floy doy, Floy doy!

But he has such important input...

tesral
03-19-2009, 01:05 AM
If I have said it all, I would stop. But this is the perfect thread to post in at two AM.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-19-2009, 02:05 AM
They should :ban: Tesral from this thread, he has like over 3000 posts already. What else could he possibly have to say?
Agreed! Besides, this would give me a chance to catch up.

GoddessGood
03-19-2009, 09:04 AM
When I was in grad school, there was an effort to popularise the term "Southwest Asian" instead of "Middle Eastern". It didn't take.
As I remember, there was an effort to popularize the term "sea kittens" instead of "fish." It makes me want to eat "land fish", though, which is just wrong.

I remember a Colombian taking offense on being called Hispanic, he said he was not Mexican. I just shrugged.

I am a born and raised Mexican, don't mind being classified as Hispanic or Latino since I share enough traits to be considered from that group, being Spanish my mother-tongue the most obvious. I laugh at most latino-hispanic jokes. I have 2 black First-cousins, they are Puerto Ricans :)
Don't forget Chicano/a. I'll never forget the time I worked for a security alarm company and was calling someone's cell phone to tell them there had been a burglary at his sister's house and could he please stop by there or get in touch with his sister? I got out about 4 words (in english) and the response was an incredible string of cusswords in spanglish all culminating with "Pura la raza!" and the sound of a dial tone. My (hispanic) shift manager saw the stunned look on my (very caucasian) face and asked what happened. When I told her, she called him back and cursed him out in spanish and told him to get over to his sister's house before she called his grandmother (whose number we had). This same shift manager used to affectionately call me "guera" and took an overall motherly approach to her job.

At my uni we had a Dominican transfer student who used to joke back and forth with our Latino class clown about how being black was so much harder than being mexican and that the clown was just lazy and should stop complaining so much. In spanish, of course :).

Ruki
03-19-2009, 10:16 AM

I have almost leveled up!

Edit: Aww....this didn't make me level.

kirksmithicus
03-19-2009, 10:19 AM
If I have said it all, I would stop. But this is the perfect thread to post in at two AM.
or at 10 PM. Sleep deprivation is a wonderful thing.:D

GoddessGood
03-19-2009, 10:29 AM

I have almost leveled up!

Edit: Aww....this didn't make me level.
You spoke too soon :) these things take time to level up. 15 minutes, wasn't it Farcaster?

Ruki
03-19-2009, 10:46 AM
....so I did. Yay! Level 2.

tesral
03-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Agreed! Besides, this would give me a chance to catch up.

You have not a prayer.

Level, do not level, a poster cares not for these things.

kirksmithicus
03-19-2009, 11:57 AM
You have not a prayer.

I'm getting pretty close, I only need about 2,990 something or other posts to catch up. So if you stop posting and I post an average of 2 new posts a day, it should only take me about 4 years to catch up.:biggrin:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-19-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm getting closer too. Perhaps by next month, i'll make level. tesral's a madman with posts, so that's why someone needs to stop him to allow the rest of us to catch up.

Congrats! It's nice to know youve been recognized for your contribution on this site. Keep participating, for in the end, we all win.

GoddessGood
03-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Meh, if you want post count go start up a PBP and we can all benefit. There's a wide, yawning gulf between levels as you get up near the top. Btw, I dug around once due to boredom and posting isn't the only way to gain levels. There's also being in social groups, blogging, posting photos and visitor messages, etc. Check it out sometime (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/xperience.php). Click on someone's name who has a goodly amount of points in all categories to go to their profile. Then click on the P&PG experience tab in their profile to see what they got XP for.

1958Fury
03-19-2009, 12:19 PM

I'll take quality over quantity any day. Too bad it doesn't give more XP based on how awesome your posts are. :lol:

Valdar
03-19-2009, 12:21 PM
I'll take quality over quantity any day. Too bad it doesn't give more XP based on how awesome your posts are. :lol:

I thought you got more points if people quoted you?

If so, you're welcome =)

1958Fury
03-19-2009, 12:59 PM

If so, you're welcome =)

And right back atcha. :D

Ruki
03-19-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm getting closer too. Perhaps by next month, i'll make level. tesral's a madman with posts, so that's why someone needs to stop him to allow the rest of us to catch up.

Congrats! It's nice to know youve been recognized for your contribution on this site. Keep participating, for in the end, we all win.

I shall keep participating, because I like to win. >_>

Soft Serve
03-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Go get em' Ruki.

You also get more XP for starting threads then posting in them.

Which is why I stole the 100th thread in the horror section. It was just like...one of those signs...I had to take it.

:rapture:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-19-2009, 02:34 PM
I've been meaning to add pictures, post blogs, start threads, and participate more in general. i've just been too busy with school. I'll have to add in a bunch of pictures, game blog, and begin a couple of new threads i've been meaning to start up in the upcoming months. Okay everyone, Thoth pledges to participate more.

Meh, if you want post count go start up a PBP and we can all benefit. There's a wide, yawning gulf between levels as you get up near the top. Btw, I dug around once due to boredom and posting isn't the only way to gain levels. There's also being in social groups, blogging, posting photos and visitor messages, etc. Check it out sometime (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/xperience.php). Click on someone's name who has a goodly amount of points in all categories to go to their profile. Then click on the P&PG experience tab in their profile to see what they got XP for.
Thanks for adding the link for busy people like me, GoddessGood. I found it very informative.

If so, you're welcome =)
...and i thought you earned more points by mentioning the names of high level folks on these boards: farcaster, nijineko, tesral, moritz, Webhead, Inquisitor Tremayne, Anaesthesia, ronpyatt, fmitchell, The Wandering Bard, farcaster, nijineko, tesral, moritz, Webhead, Inquisitor Tremayne, Anaesthesia, ronpyatt, fmitchell, The Wandering Bard, farcaster, nijineko, tesral, moritz, Webhead, Inquisitor Tremayne, Anaesthesia, ronpyatt, fmitchell, The Wandering Bard, farcaster, nijineko, tesral, moritz, Webhead, Inquisitor Tremayne, Anaesthesia, ronpyatt, fmitchell, The Wandering Bardfarcaster, nijineko, tesral, moritz, Webhead, Inquisitor Tremayne, Anaesthesia, ronpyatt, fmitchell, The Wandering Bard, farcaster, nijineko, tesral, moritz, Webhead, Inquisitor Tremayne, Anaesthesia, ronpyatt, fmitchell, The Wandering Bard, farcaster, nijineko, tesral, moritz, Webhead, Inquisitor Tremayne, Anaesthesia, ronpyatt, fmitchell, The Wandering Bard.

Okay, going to see if my theory is correct. I should around 25th level now.

Addendum: Gosh Dern It!!! It didnt work. :confused:

Soft Serve
03-19-2009, 05:09 PM
fmitchell, The Wandering Bardfarcaster, nijineko,

Cause of that typo...

Bardfarcaster is not a person, and you offended farcaster's interweb godlyness.

You should actually be underneath me in levels now.

cigamnogard
03-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Darn I read all the posts again!

nijineko
03-19-2009, 07:38 PM
i tend to read all the posts... or at least all the posts from the last time i posted. ^^
but then i read fairly fast, even on the computer. =D

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Cause of that typo...

Bardfarcaster is not a person, and you offended farcaster's interweb godlyness.

You should actually be underneath me in levels now.
I blame it on gremlins, for i KNOW beyond a doubt that i left a comma there.

Nice roll of a 20 with your observation check, Soft Serve.

tesral
03-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Gremlins eat commas.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Gremlins eat commas.
No doubt because i offended him by calling him a goblin. That was very non-pc of me, i know this now. Where do i sign up for sensitivity class?

tesral
03-19-2009, 10:48 PM
No doubt because i offended him by calling him a goblem. That was very non-pc of me, i know this now. Where do i sign up for sensitivity class?

Right here. By the time Hanz and Franz are done, you will be sensitive indeed. Not a square inch will be unsensitive. They will (SMACK!) Pound you up!

Soft Serve
03-19-2009, 11:50 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/FataMorganaPseudonym/legendary_thread.jpg

GoddessGood
03-20-2009, 08:29 AM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/FataMorganaPseudonym/legendary_thread.jpg
Yes. Covered in awesome-sauce.

Ruki
03-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Yay! It's Friday!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Day before my nephew's first t-ball game. He's picking up his full uniform today. Pretty cool.

nijineko
03-20-2009, 04:09 PM
game night for niji! and char gen too. seems the group wants a change of pace and to try something new. it's rare that i have a face-to-face group. so far this one has worked out well. =D

Soft Serve
03-20-2009, 04:22 PM
I love that picture but I never ever get to use it because no thread is ever legendary enough.

This thread won it though. This one took the cake. I think it needs to be come sticky.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-20-2009, 05:20 PM
I love that picture but I never ever get to use it because no thread is ever legendary enough.

This thread won it though. This one took the cake. I think it needs to be come sticky.
Hey Soft Serve, Very, very cool you have the "Break the Record Day!" listed on your threads. Great idea.

Ruki
03-20-2009, 07:40 PM
I am happy, I have internet at my house again!

cigamnogard
03-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Day before my nephew's first t-ball game. He's picking up his full uniform today. Pretty cool.

I actually remember playing T-ball!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah, me too. Only, looking back, i'm sure i wasnt as good as i remember. For example, i remember being excellent on a profefssional team for our age group, but the reality is we were more like the Bad New Bears, the t-ball years.

kirksmithicus
03-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Go get em' Ruki.

You also get more XP for starting threads then posting in them.

Which is why I stole the 100th thread in the horror section. It was just like...one of those signs...I had to take it.

:rapture:

Which is why this should be called the MortonStromgal level up thread and not just the level up thread. :D He's rack up the points and letting us do all the work, evil genius that MortonStromgal.

I also see from the points board that I'm maintaining my lead over Soft Serve by the skin of my teeth.

tesral
03-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Yeah, me too. Only, looking back, i'm sure i wasnt as good as i remember. For example, i remember being excellent on a profefssional team for our age group, but the reality is we were more like the Bad New Bears, the t-ball years.

We didn't have T ball. We had to hit a rock with a bison bone. And we only had one base, the rest hadn't been invented yet.

kirksmithicus
03-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Lucky bastard, you had rocks! All we had were bison patties.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-21-2009, 12:46 AM
We didn't have T ball. We had to hit a rock with a bison bone. And we only had one base, the rest hadn't been invented yet.
Well, i'm not saying there werent advantages living within the protective walls(from dinosaurs), in Atlantis.

Lucky bastard, you had rocks! All we had were bison patties.
Bison patties? I laugh at your bison patties. When we snuck out beyond the walls of Atlantis, we use to challenge ourselves with frisbee mammoth pattie golf. We build up some good shoulder strength with that game, which, btw, the Atlantian babes really appreciated. Mmmm, the memories.

In case you all havent figured it out yet, written history is far different than true history, just ask phoenix tesral, for he's been around quite a few thousand years. :eek:

Dimthar
03-21-2009, 10:16 AM
In case you all havent figured it out yet, written history is far different than true history, just ask phoenix tesral, for he's been around quite a few thousand years. :eek:

Now that the Truth was revealed yesterday (BSG Reference)

Tesral, Are you a Cylon?

tesral
03-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Now that the Truth was revealed yesterday (BSG Reference)

Tesral, Are you a Cylon?

No. I'm a Phoenix.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-21-2009, 12:18 PM
No. I'm a Phoenix.
...with the emotions of a Cylon. :laugh:

Soft Serve
03-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Hey Soft Serve, Very, very cool you have the "Break the Record Day!" listed on your threads. Great idea.

Yeah my signature wasn't doing anything remotely useful so, there you go. :)

I also see from the points board that I'm maintaining my lead over Soft Serve by the skin of my teeth.

Well...stop it....

Chi
03-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Man I probably don't have any xp

Soft Serve
03-22-2009, 04:31 PM
wow I haven't seen Chi on the boards since I was like lv-3.

kirksmithicus
03-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Yes! #163

Soft Serve
03-23-2009, 12:20 AM
w00t #164.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-23-2009, 12:32 AM
165! ha! I'm winning!

tesral
03-23-2009, 09:01 AM
There is always a bigger fish.

Grimwell
03-23-2009, 09:09 AM
I find it stunningly awesome how this thread renders Farcaster's level system irrelevant.

yukonhorror
03-23-2009, 09:39 AM
I find it stunningly awesome how this thread renders Farcaster's level system irrelevant.

It is kind of like those level up cards in the munchkin card game

Some examples
Boil an anthill - go up a level
Convenient math error - go up a level (cartoon 2+2=22)
Whine to GM - go up a level

I love that game. It is such a guilty pleasure. And of course, I appreciate great satire. The satire is even more potent coming from the makers of games like gurps.

GoddessGood
03-23-2009, 10:39 AM
I keep eyeing those cards, but can never bring myself to purchase a set. I have a feeling my collector-itis will flare up again.

edit: Woohoo! Almost level up time.

yukonhorror
03-23-2009, 10:50 AM
I keep eyeing those cards, but can never bring myself to purchase a set. I have a feeling my collector-itis will flare up again.

edit: Woohoo! Almost level up time.

Yeah it is a problem. The boardgame (munchkin quest) might alleviate that. There is only one expansion. The boardgame is just as fun as the cardgame.

From a game mechanics POV, it is a well-made game. It has fun and interesting game play. I highly recommend it. Its also a nice segue for those fresh to RPG's. My wife doesn't play RPGs, but she will play munchkin.

kirksmithicus
03-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Uhuh, Tesral has discovered the sites blogging option. There goes my lead in that dept. :D

tesral
03-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Uhuh, Tesral has discovered the sites blogging option. There goes my lead in that dept. :D

I knew it was there. I decided I had something to say. Post more than one every two weeks you should be safe. :cool:

kirksmithicus
03-23-2009, 02:27 PM
I knew it was there. I decided I had something to say. Post more than one every two weeks you should be safe. :cool:

LOL, I think I can manage that.

and how come you have to be level 27 to be Immoral?
oh wait, that says Immortal. I think I need some glasses.

Soft Serve
03-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Immortal, Immoral. Tomato Tomahtoe.

....why is spelling To-mah-toe so friggin hard?

GoddessGood
03-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Immortal, Immoral. Tomato Tomahtoe.

....why is spelling To-mah-toe so friggin hard?
Why is the word "abbreviation" so long?

yukonhorror
03-23-2009, 04:06 PM
why do cats where glasses?

Why do wizards wield shotguns?

Life's unanswered questions.

Actually, I always thought that was a neat concept. I let my archivist wield rifles if take prof feat. Sort of that, esoteric knowledge, neat invention, concept. Like that dude from the van helsing movie (the one-eyed dude in the 300).

I would say off topic, but is there a topic on this thread?

Another question that will never be answered.

Envikin
03-23-2009, 04:38 PM
I would say off topic, but is there a topic on this thread?

I'd say there are far too many topics in this thread.

InvestFDC
03-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Anyone ever run a one-time scenario for a group of strangers? I'm kicking around the idea of creating a set of characters and DMing games at the local game shop for whoever shows up. Everything is already setup and I would hit the ground running, so to speak.

Valdar
03-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Why is the word "abbreviation" so long?

Why is the word "Phonetically" not spelled phonetically?

kirksmithicus
03-23-2009, 05:21 PM
why do cats where glasses? because they think it makes them look smarter than dogs?

Why do wizards wield shotguns?

Shotguns? To paraphrase Gunny Highway from the movie Heartbreak Ridge, That my friends is an AK-47 Assault Rifle, the preferred weapon of our enemy.

The question should be, why do wizards carry AK-47's?

The answers can be found somewhere in here (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/album.php?albumid=114). :D

Anyone ever run a one-time scenario for a group of strangers? I'm kicking around the idea of creating a set of characters and DMing games at the local game shop for whoever shows up. Everything is already setup and I would hit the ground running, so to speak.

I've thought about doing the same thing, and calling it Disposable Heroes.

tesral
03-23-2009, 05:24 PM
I'd say there are far too many topics in this thread.

:laser:

Well that should be one less.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Why are silent letters in words. Just one example: receipt. I dont hear the "p," therefore it doesnt belong.

Here's another: Why is 4 spelled four, and 40 spelled forty? I asked a professor this once, his answer: laziness. I mean, how do you respond to that answer. LOL :rolleyes:

Okay, going to see if i made 21st level yet? :D

Addendum: Gosh Dern It! I'm still 20th level. Oh well, perhaps one day. :confused:

tesral
03-23-2009, 07:00 PM
He is already legendary and he wants more. Some people are never happy.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-23-2009, 07:39 PM
After thousands of years, my lifespark is not as bright as it once was. I desire above all else, immortality, as i recall in a past millennia, you once voice similar desires, phoenix tesral.

yukonhorror
03-23-2009, 07:45 PM
i guess that is an ak-47.

It looks like a shotgun at first glance. What do I know about guns though, other than they are fun to shoot.

GoddessGood
03-23-2009, 08:14 PM
snip
What do I know about guns ... they are fun to shoot.
snip
Everything, apparently.

I will soon be level 18. I do believe it will be the second time I've leveled while posting in this thread.

Soft Serve
03-23-2009, 08:46 PM
What level am I?

...I forgot to look before I posted...

crap....
Oh ok lv 16.

Well I can do that.

Chi
03-23-2009, 08:48 PM
so how are we keeping score

Soft Serve
03-23-2009, 08:48 PM
I just noticed my "activity" bar is on par with Thoth and Tesral and I'm some 4 - 10 levels beneath them.

IF you got XP for chat I'd own the site by now....
Thanks Chi you interupted my double-post merging........Way to go.
WAIT Keep doing it cause I think you don't get XP for editing. And if it merges posts your technically editing...

Chi
03-23-2009, 08:50 PM
HEHEHE sorry!!

Thriondel Half-Elven
03-23-2009, 08:59 PM
hey how did chi get so far ahead of me? guess i had a time where i didn't get on here!

Chi
03-23-2009, 09:06 PM
what does that mean ahead what am I at???

Thriondel Half-Elven
03-23-2009, 09:22 PM
you are Level 20 (Legendary) i am Level 17 (Champion)

For the longest time i was a higher level than you but i didn't post for a long time and you jumped ahead

Envikin
03-23-2009, 09:23 PM
what does that mean ahead what am I at???
You're Level 20 (Legendary) Thriondel Half-Elven is level 17 (Champion) and I'm only level 1 (Neophyte)

Chi
03-23-2009, 09:24 PM
but that is ok you will get up there some day
Thriondel you don't live in pekin yet don't make this move harder on me than it already is

tesral
03-23-2009, 11:09 PM
After thousands of years, my lifespark is not as bright as it once was. I desire above all else, immortality, as i recall in a past millennia, you once voice similar desires, phoenix tesral.

Ah the immortality thing comes with the feather suit. I can't exactly call it an achievement. Immorality on the other hand has to be worked on.

I just noticed my "activity" bar is on par with Thoth and Tesral and I'm some 4 - 10 levels beneath them.

It's the "I have no life setting."

Soft Serve
03-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Awesome

So I am immortal.

Ruki
03-24-2009, 12:21 PM
.....someone use magic or something to make it the weekend again :(

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-24-2009, 12:29 PM
.....someone use magic or something to make it the weekend again :(
Done! Oh, you mean for you? My bad.

tesral
03-24-2009, 01:28 PM
It's always the weekend.

Oh, you mean for you.

yukonhorror
03-24-2009, 03:45 PM
200th reply, SNAP!
dang it, tesral stole it, nevermind

tesral
03-24-2009, 04:18 PM
200th reply, SNAP!
dang it, tesral stole it, nevermind

I took the one on top. :wave: Oh hell I never look at those numbers.

Soft Serve
03-24-2009, 04:38 PM
DAMN I was waiting for the 200th.

Ok. 250 and 300 are mine.

Provided we get that far....which we should since this is the longest living thread that I've been in. It even won my "Legendary Thread" picture.

yukonhorror
03-24-2009, 04:58 PM
apparently I am really slow. I just read the requesting play-by-post topic, and realized community supporter is not what I thought it was.

Because Thoth and Kirksmithicus (and other supporters) ALWAYS say "welcome to the boards" in the introductions forum, I thought their title meant they were here for moral/social support. Make newbies feel welcome. Help them get acclimated to the "community".

Apparently their support is financial in nature. I feel so intelligent.

GoddessGood
03-24-2009, 05:09 PM
:D I only knew that because I wanted to create a poll and found out that it costs $12 to do so :)

yukonhorror
03-24-2009, 05:20 PM
My 100th post, thanks goddess, was waiting so i didn't have to double post.

By the way, what type of engineer are you and what company do you work for (from one engineer to another)?

Dimthar
03-24-2009, 05:40 PM
:D I only knew that because I wanted to create a poll and found out that it costs $12 to do so :)

In my case, Farcaster gave me a complimentary 1y "Community Supporter" Membership, and once I was addicted it was hard to let go my "Avatar".

I still don't get the leveling ... ...don't know exactly what I did to get to level 20.

tesral
03-24-2009, 06:30 PM
I thought their title meant they were here for moral/social support. Make newbies feel welcome. Help them get acclimated to the "community".

And the other. I decided the forum was a good idea and 12 bucks a year was well worth keeping the thing going. I have gotten out of greeting every new person. Life has been interesting and being Mr. Cheerful was a strain. It may be a while before I go back to it.

In my case, Farcaster gave me a complimentary 1y "Community Supporter" Membership, and once I was addicted it was hard to let go my "Avatar".

I still don't get the leveling ... ...don't know exactly what I did to get to level 20.

That's a good question. I did it by being an "I have no life" constant poster. It's easy when so many interesting threads and nice people abound.

:director: BTW, it's called multiquote, it is down on the right, second button to the left. Hit multiquote for each message you wish to quote, it will turn red on the edges. When you have your messages chosen hit the usual "reply" button on the left under the thread.

Use multiquote and banish the merged post forever.

Soft Serve
03-24-2009, 11:23 PM
And the other. I decided the forum was a good idea and 12 bucks a year was well worth keeping the thing going. I have gotten out of greeting every new person. Life has been interesting and being Mr. Cheerful was a strain. It may be a while before I go back to it.

That's a good question. I did it by being an "I have no life" constant poster. It's easy when so many interesting threads and nice people abound.

:director: BTW, it's called multiquote, it is down on the right, second button to the left. Hit multiquote for each message you wish to quote, it will turn red on the edges. When you have your messages chosen hit the usual "reply" button on the left under the thread.

Use multiquote and banish the merged post forever.

By the way, what type of engineer are you and what company do you work for (from one engineer to another)?

Ok so just like that? :D

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-24-2009, 11:38 PM

When it comes to your leveling; why ask why, for it should simply suffice that the er... um... gods are pleased.

kirksmithicus
03-24-2009, 11:50 PM
apparently I am really slow. I just read the requesting play-by-post topic, and realized community supporter is not what I thought it was.

Because Thoth and Kirksmithicus (and other supporters) ALWAYS say "welcome to the boards" in the introductions forum, I thought their title meant they were here for moral/social support. Make newbies feel welcome. Help them get acclimated to the "community".

LOL, no I just post in the welcome section because I'm a post whor.....I mean, because I'm a friendly guy. As for the moral support, you've got the wrong guy, cause I'd tell you between slices of :pizza: that you're right, you should jump.

Soft Serve
03-25-2009, 01:00 AM
LOL, no I just post in the welcome section because I'm a post whor.....I mean, because I'm a friendly guy. As for the moral support, you've got the wrong guy, cause I'd tell you between slices of :pizza: that you're right, you should jump.

pfft you'd be lucky to have Kirk beside you in a "should I jump?" situation then.

I'd ask you to do a flip cause those get more views on youtube.

GoddessGood
03-25-2009, 08:33 AM

Haha, yw. I'm the electrical flavor of engineer (as opposed to mechanical, civil, systems, computer, aerospace, etc.) though I'd love to develop towards a specialty in radar and communications (digital systems, preferably). That's going to take a master's degree - which the company will re-imburse me for - and the good will of my higher-ups. Right now I work in a product sustaining function for a defense contractor in D/FW. Product sustaining is fancy talk for, "Just keep the damn thing running right and fix it when it's broke." Which is fun ... considering the hardware was designed 10+ years ago by someone who didn't leave copious notes. What do you engineer? :)

Soft Serve
03-25-2009, 08:39 AM
Although it doesn't apply to me I refuse to not post and skip out on experience.

XPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXP XPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXPXP+++++

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼

symbols = fun

tesral
03-25-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm not that kind of Engineer.

yukonhorror
03-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Haha, yw. I'm the electrical flavor of engineer (as opposed to mechanical, civil, systems, computer, aerospace, etc.) though I'd love to develop towards a specialty in radar and communications (digital systems, preferably). That's going to take a master's degree - which the company will re-imburse me for - and the good will of my higher-ups. Right now I work in a product sustaining function for a defense contractor in D/FW. Product sustaining is fancy talk for, "Just keep the damn thing running right and fix it when it's broke." Which is fun ... considering the hardware was designed 10+ years ago by someone who didn't leave copious notes. What do you engineer? :)

Chemical Engineer. Went to Mines (colorado school of mines for the uninitiated) for undergrad. Getting my phd currently. Might move into the materials engineering field for a post doctoral job.

But I don't want to be corrupted by all of that money, so will probably go become a professor.

My brother is an EE. He wants a specialty in power systems (I think).

Job sounds like fun. That's nice they'll let you get a masters. Usually in engineering they pay you in grad school, but you usually have to quit your original job. Sounds like a military thingy, as a female engineer, do you feel out of place, neglected, disrespected, etc... or the opposite? Trying to work on this grant to measure the utility of gender diversity in engineering design.

Enough posting (in this forum) see ya.

Soft Serve
03-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Chemical Engineer. Went to Mines (colorado school of mines for the uninitiated) for undergrad. Getting my phd currently. Might move into the materials engineering field for a post doctoral job.

But I don't want to be corrupted by all of that money, so will probably go become a professor.

Job sounds like fun. That's nice they'll let you get a masters. Usually in engineering they pay you in grad school, but you usually have to quit your original job. Sounds like a military thingy, as a female engineer, do you feel out of place, neglected, disrespected, etc... or the opposite? Trying to work on this grant to measure the utility of gender diversity in engineering design.

Enough posting (in this forum) see ya.

Sure you don't want to take that job and just send me $$'s? :biggrin:

GoddessGood
03-25-2009, 09:27 AM

Yeah, that's my fall-back for retirement ;)

Guh. I can't stand power systems. And Thermo and fluids equations make me pull my hair out. Digital is nice and clean :).

What precisely is the "utility" of gender diversity? To answer your question about respect and such, it seems to depend on the project. Two of the projects I've worked on have women in important positions. These projects both seem to have more young people on them and are generally still in the early stages (design and production). For the most part, they have relaxed and friendly atmospheres and tend to have problems with keeping track of resources (who used what part last, where is it now and when can I use it?). The third project I've worked on is nearing the end of its life; I'm the only female on the technical staff and in the most junior position. The attitude tends to be more business-like and can be very stifling for a young engineer like myself. I tend to be judged more on how many tasks I complete (and how fast) rather than how well I complete any individual task. There is a lack of communication because everyone's been working on the project so long they already know what they need to be doing. Learning the ropes is more difficult if someone fears that you're trying to take over their job function and thus hoards information. It makes it look like I'm a slow learner, which is unfortunate. I get a lot of the "You should know this by now," attitude from them.

So in short, no. I've not felt neglected or a lack of respect for my gender.

yukonhorror
03-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Guh. I can't stand power systems. And Thermo and fluids equations make me pull my hair out. Digital is nice and clean :).

What precisely is the "utility" of gender diversity?

NO thermo?? That's my bread and butter. I love thermo. Fluids is probably my second favorite (but I am a chemical engineer and that's how we roll).

As for "utility", it is a synonym for usefulness. In other words, want to answer the question (with hard numbers) does a high degree of gender diversity affect the quality design. Do groups with 50% girls have better solutions to a problem than ones with all guys?

I think this community understand diversity utility better than most. How many gaming groups have all fighters? But putting hard numbers to back up the stance "diversity in engineering is good"

Soft Serve
03-25-2009, 11:11 AM
How many gaming groups have all fighters?

OH! Ones based on Gladiators!!!

tesral
03-25-2009, 11:17 AM
I think this community understand diversity utility better than most. How many gaming groups have all fighters? But putting hard numbers to back up the stance "diversity in engineering is good"

WHAT diversity? We're all gamers.

Soft Serve
03-25-2009, 11:20 AM
A lot of us are RPGamers too.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-25-2009, 11:22 AM
I have found with all the groups of the world, we, the gamers, are the least judgemental and truely recognize each other as brothers and sisters. I know, i know, a bit corny, but true just the same. :biggrin:

yukonhorror
03-25-2009, 11:23 AM
yeah we are all gamers, but when we play a lot of people try to be a class/job/race/whatever that isn't already represented in the gaming group, so they are something different and can bring something new to the table.

I have seen people drop REALLY cool character concepts, just because there was already a "____" in the group, all for the sake of diversity.

GoddessGood
03-25-2009, 11:54 AM
NO thermo?? That's my bread and butter. I love thermo. Fluids is probably my second favorite (but I am a chemical engineer and that's how we roll).
Can't stand 'em. Chemistry is, to me, a study of the behavior of atoms and sub-atomic particles. I'd rather just declare the whole mess a black box. Just tell me what it does, I don't need to know the why or the how. I used to have this argument with the math majors all the time, too. Math for math's sake is ... well, kinda boring to me.

As for "utility", it is a synonym for usefulness. In other words, want to answer the question (with hard numbers) does a high degree of gender diversity affect the quality design. Do groups with 50% girls have better solutions to a problem than ones with all guys?
Yeah, this is what I thought you were getting at and for some reason this viewpoint annoys me. I think it matters much more what I bring to the table as a unique person than what I bring to the table as a woman. Because when I'm working on a project I'm not framing everything in the context of my femininity, I'm framing it in the context of the years of schooling I've had and the experience I've earned. My second X chromosome doesn't factor into it. I'm just an engineer.

WHAT diversity? We're all gamers.
This. :)

Ruki
03-25-2009, 12:05 PM
So...I'm thinking Burger King for lunch today, it is Whopper Wed! And I also plan on paying off $200 of my credit card bill....not so much yay :(

yukonhorror
03-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I know you aren't framing things in the context of your femininity. However, I think your background, personality, etc... factors in how you approach design.

I don't want to get you or anybody else up in arms (cause these things do get touchy), but the point of the study is to identify what women are bringing to the engineering table and to establish this is a good thing.

I don't approach design with the mentality "what's the manly way to go about this", but I am sure the way I think about things is different than the majority of engineering women.

Of course this is the POINT of the study. Do women approach design differently than men? Honestly I don't know, but our experiences do set us apart. I think a gamer engineer is going to approach design differently than one who has never even heard of RPGs.

I am not one to stir up conflict, so I'll stop there.

Oh and math is boring. I hate proofs. Somebody already proved it, just show me how to use it.

Valdar
03-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Oh and math is boring. I hate proofs. Somebody already proved it, just show me how to use it.

I'm often alarmed at how little math people know these days- now, I'm not saying I do proofs for fun, but when I see people act amazed when I add 1/3 to 1/2 without using paper, I get a little concerned...

GoddessGood
03-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Haha, ditto on the math. I don't agree with you on the different approaches to design. I don't know about how you were taught or how most people were taught engineering, but with us there was a clear emphasis on scientific method and the engineering procedure. Much time was spent on showing us how to think like an engineer. That training is why we can come up with solutions to problems. We've been trained to do just that.

The reason why I don't like the idea of analysis (qualitative or quantitative) on this is the probability that it'll end up being used to justify policy. I'm firmly against affirmative action, gender-norming and the like. The idea that some executive somewhere is going to say something like "Program X needs more [some gender-based trait] to make it more successful. Tell HR to hire more women," makes me cringe. Those who are hired for a job should be hired because they are well qualified, not because they do or don't have dangly bits. If Program X doesn't improve in the area the exec was looking for, do they get reprimanded for not being womanly enough?

yukonhorror
03-25-2009, 01:52 PM
It is sort of meant to justify policy, but NOT affirmative action.

I hate affirmative action. When it comes to policy, it is mainly to support programs which encourage (not blindly accepts) woman to participate in engineering. My goals (the results may have a different effect) of the project is to identify what makes women great engineers and use that as a selling point to encourage future women engineers. Obviously there is something that is driving away very capable adept women from engineering/science (possibly the image of engineering). So the policies I hope to affect are more associated with changing the image of engineering so it is appealing to all races/genders/backgrounds.

The medical profession used to be strictly male, but now there are equal (if not more) women going into medical school This isn't just because of programs like affirmative action. Hoping to do something similar for engineering.

As far as approach goes, maybe the engineering approach being taught is one sided. Maybe it could be better. Historically, this approach has been shaped by males, and I am sure male mentality is indirectly ingrained in its workings. Maybe it is the approach that is giving engineering a bad image and needs to be altered to encourage the use of traits typically (but not exclusively) possessed by those who aren't upper-middle class white males.

As an engineer, I see a broken system, and I am trying to figure ways to fix it. Of course, my goal is for overall diversity, but the funding source is focused on gender, so have to follow the money.

I appreciate your comments by the way. It gives me something to think about in terms of the approach of this project. I like feedback, and I hope I am not offending you. Just trying (but probably failing miserably) to explain my motivations.

As for the math comment, I am very adept at math, just don't like it. I get a kick out of design and working out problems with math, but pure math classes bore me.

GoddessGood
03-25-2009, 03:16 PM
If there is a chapter on your campus, I would suggest getting in touch with SWE (Society for Women Engineers). SHPE (Society for Hispanic Professional Engineers) is also a great resource for diversity studies in engineering. One of the ways my company encourages young engineers is to ask us to volunteer at MathCounts events and science fairs. Technology is cool now, and kids need to know that they can be involved in it.

My advice for teaching things in the "female style" would be to focus more on associations rather than solely on logical progression. Professors often just follow a book from topic to topic rather than teaching the context each topic has with the previous material. Nothing exists in a vacuum, but separating topics into different chapters can make it seem so. To use a simple math example, one might teach a child addition and then teach that same child multiplication without ever telling them that multiplication is just a different method of addition. That 5+5+5+5+5 = 25 is the same as 5 x 5 = 25 may never occur to this child. Sure, if they're smart they may figure it out, but knowing the associations helps the student to get a better grasp on the material. It could be as simple as the professor turning to the class and saying, "Do you remember when we covered X? Well, when you do Y to it, Z happens. Now let's talk about Z."

kirksmithicus
03-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Math? nobody uses that crap.

So I had this idea for a t-shirt;

"My social life is in ruins" :drum:

GoddessGood
03-25-2009, 03:25 PM
With or without an accompanying image?

Envikin
03-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Haha, yw. I'm the electrical flavor of engineer (as opposed to mechanical, civil, systems, computer, aerospace, etc.) though I'd love to develop towards a specialty in radar and communications (digital systems, preferably).
My best friend from highschool is getting his masters and was doing research in the radar and communications field.
I'm a physics major who is working in a EE position working on radar signatures. I wish I had taken more E&M courses now.

GoddessGood
03-25-2009, 08:57 PM
My best friend from highschool is getting his masters and was doing research in the radar and communications field.
I'm a physics major who is working in a EE position working on radar signatures. I wish I had taken more E&M courses now.
E&M? Electricity and Magnetism, maybe? I find myself wishing I'd taken power, materials and antenna courses all the time :).

@yukon: I hope this doesn't come off as combative, I just like a good, spirited debate and this happens to be something I have an opinion on. I'd rather not spoil the light-hearted mood of the thread anymore than I already have, so if you want to continue this please PM me or get with me on MSN messenger. I'm looking forward to continuing the discussion :)

Soft Serve
03-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Math? nobody uses that crap.

So I had this idea for a t-shirt;

"My social life is in ruins" :drum:

Yeah. Check your green bar there Kirksmith.

Thats the activity bar thing you see, and mine is full whereas yours is...you know...not.

GoddessGood
03-25-2009, 09:38 PM
That's misleading :P I had my activity up at 100% and then my family visited, meaning I didn't sign on for 5 days. My activity went down below 60% :(

Soft Serve
03-25-2009, 10:09 PM
It's 77% now.

Mine's 100%.....damn addictive chat....

tesral
03-25-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm often alarmed at how little math people know these days- now, I'm not saying I do proofs for fun, but when I see people act amazed when I add 1/3 to 1/2 without using paper, I get a little concerned...

I once scared a friend of my Son's when he saw me doing long division, with a pencil. :crazy:

The medical profession used to be strictly male, but now there are equal (if not more) women going into medical school This isn't just because of programs like affirmative action. Hoping to do something similar for engineering.

I prefer female doctors.

That's misleading :P I had my activity up at 100% and then my family visited, meaning I didn't sign on for 5 days. My activity went down below 60% :(

It's a short term thing.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Here's an actual conversation that took place between me and my doctor during my hernia exam. I was seeing him for a physical that was needed for a particular job i was interested in.

Me: Why cant i ever get a hot female doctor to check me for a hernia? Just for once, that would be nice. :confused:
Doctor: I agree. I've always wanted to get checked for a hernia by a female doctor as well.

Doctors can be such asses, and they seem to go out of their way to be vague with answers. This doctor's response was quick and honest.

How was this little story for derailing this Seinfeld (about nothing) thread? :rolleyes:

Soft Serve
03-25-2009, 10:53 PM
So I got this cool candy in the mail and it is so friggin' good.

Sponge Candy. It sounds disgusting and like it should have a starfish friend but it's more like whoppers if whoppers didn't suck and were five times as big.

kirksmithicus
03-25-2009, 11:10 PM
With or without an accompanying image?

No Image yet, trying to think of something appropriate still.

Yeah. Check your green bar there Kirksmith.

Thats the activity bar thing you see, and mine is full whereas yours is...you know...not.

It's 77% now.

Mine's 100%.....damn addictive chat....

Well you know, I half-ass everything. :biggrin:

Here's an actual conversation that took place between me and my doctor during my hernia exam. I was seeing him for a physical that was needed for a particular job i was interested in.

Me: Why cant i ever get a hot female doctor to check me for a hernia? Just for once, that would be nice. :confused:
Doctor: I agree. I've always wanted to get checked for a hernia by a female doctor as well.

Doctors can be such asses, and they seem to go out of their way to be vague with answers. This doctor's response was quick and honest.

How was this little story for derailing this Seinfeld (about nothing) thread? :rolleyes:

Similar story, but not quite...

So one of my older brothers (I have several) came to visit a few weeks ago. He was telling me about a while back when he had to go in and get catheterized. This particular bro has always been quite the perv, just so you know. He tells me, "The nurse was this young hot blond and she had a hold of it with her left hand and was rubbing some lube on the tip. I was really starting to enjoy it, you know, because I'm old not dead, if you know what I mean. Then she jammed that tube in, let me tell you, it felt like she was trying to shove a sparkler up the damn thing. It totally ruined the moment we were having, but I still asked for her number when she was done"

That's my bro

I prefer female doctors.

I just prefer females. :D Profession is irrelevant

so i got this cool candy in the mail and it is so friggin' good.

Sponge candy. It sounds disgusting and like it should have a starfish friend but it's more like whoppers if whoppers didn't suck and were five times as big.

lmao

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-25-2009, 11:50 PM
For those of you that remember Marathon Bars, and i do miss Marathon Bars; well, great news, i found a copy-cat candy bar that is literally a Marathon Bar in a different wrapper. They are called Curly-Wurly's. Here's their web address (I like this address for you can purchase these bars in singles): http://www.englishteastore.com/cnd003.html

Enjoy!

GoddessGood
03-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Similar story, but not quite...

So one of my older brothers (I have several) came to visit a few weeks ago. He was telling me about a while back when he had to go in and get catheterized. This particular bro has always been quite the perv, just so you know. He tells me, "The nurse was this young hot blond and she had a hold of it with her left hand and was rubbing some lube on the tip. I was really starting to enjoy it, you know, because I'm old not dead, if you know what I mean. Then she jammed that tube in, let me tell you, it felt like she was trying to shove a sparkler up the damn thing. It totally ruined the moment we were having, but I still asked for her number when she was done"

That's my bro
Got another funny doctor story. I went to the doctor for a sinus infection because, at this point, I hadn't admitted defeat (I have had a sinus infection constantly for years). I complained that the decongestant he gave me dehydrated me and that drinking water wasn't helping. He told me to drink less soda and to switch from water to Gatorade because, and this is a direct quote, "Gatorade has more liquid in it than water." Now, I know what he meant was that it'll hydrate you better than straight water will, but come on.

Soft Serve
03-26-2009, 08:42 AM
"Gatorade has more liquid in it than water."

Cool. Now I have a legit arguement.

Could you help me prove that the grape and orange flavors suck?

No matter what form they take that they suck?

What are the last two color of popsicles left in your refrigerator everytime you get them? Purple and frickin' Orange. And your mom won't buy anymore cause there are still some left....AND WHY CAN'T WE HAVE PEPSI AND COKE UNDER THE SAMN ROOF!

WTF!!!!

yukonhorror
03-26-2009, 09:15 AM
E&M? Electricity and Magnetism, maybe? I find myself wishing I'd taken power, materials and antenna courses all the time :).

@yukon: I hope this doesn't come off as combative, I just like a good, spirited debate and this happens to be something I have an opinion on. I'd rather not spoil the light-hearted mood of the thread anymore than I already have, so if you want to continue this please PM me or get with me on MSN messenger. I'm looking forward to continuing the discussion :)

@goddess

I concur. I'll keep that in mind. I doubt I'll be able to finish the grant in time. So it will have to be put off until next year. I'll keep the PM option open, maybe surprise you with one in the future.

But yes light-hearted. 99 cent lrg stawberry limeade's at sonic Rocks.

Also, for anyone who ever visits the denver area, you have to try out tokyo joes, chedd's, and noodles & company. They are all sit-down fast food restaurants that are awesome but are well priced.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-26-2009, 10:37 AM
To me, the only Gatorade flavors that were ever any good were the original two.

I also feel this way with Mountain Dew and their many flavors, but surprise, surprise, they scored a slam-dunk with Mountain Dew Code Red. Mmm. Great tasting liquid speed in a plastic bottle.

GoddessGood
03-26-2009, 11:19 AM
To me, the only Gatorade flavors that were ever any good were the original two.
I miss the pink-colored watermelon flavor. T'was my favorite.

@goddess

I concur. I'll keep that in mind. I doubt I'll be able to finish the grant in time. So it will have to be put off until next year. I'll keep the PM option open, maybe surprise you with one in the future.
/me nods. I'll keep an eye out

Also, for anyone who ever visits the denver area, you have to try out tokyo joes, chedd's, and noodles & company. They are all sit-down fast food restaurants that are awesome but are well priced.
I also recommend BeauJo's Mountain Pies. Best alternative to Chicago style pizza I've ever had. I can't stand for having to eat pizza with a knife and fork or risk 2nd degree burns from molten sauce and toppings on my face.

Cool. Now I have a legitament arguement.
-snip-
Also I apparently can't spell "ligitimate"
Or "legitimate" either, apparently. ;)

Soft Serve
03-26-2009, 11:28 AM
@GG

dude....I even google searched how to spell that word and I got it wrong twice.

You know what this is what editing was made for...
HAHA

Now prove I'm stupid. :cool:
DAMN! I have post #249 and no matter how many times I post after it it still counts as ##249 cause of the automerge!!!

NO!!!

yukonhorror
03-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Beau Jo's is awesome. But that is a straight up sit down place. Also, the only one I know of is in Idaho Springs, and that is a hefty drive for just pizza. Only go there when coming back from skiing.

Ever been to Qdoba or Chipotle? Those are sit down fast food, and ironically came from Denver.

I shorthanded Chedd's

It is Chedd's Gourment Grilled Cheese. They have like 37 different kinds of cheeses on the menu, 10 different breads, and also choices of meats and veggies. Of course, you can get tomato soup as a side. It is pretty darn good, but expensive compared to the others mentioned.

I miss denver...