PDA

View Full Version : The level up thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Soft Serve
07-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Me either. Damn.

He needs to bring that graphic back.

Genesplicer
07-24-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm afraid I haven't heard anything about this either. Altho it's possible the TV news services didn't bother with it because it's not really major news, and whatever day it happened they actualy didn't have room for a fluff story. If it was in the paper, it was buried somewhere in there, and I don't do much mre than scan the headlines unless something really gets my attention.

So I can neither confirm nor deny the pressence of a larsonist simmian on the loose in Richardson.

Soft Serve
07-24-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm afraid I haven't heard anything about this either. Altho it's possible the TV news services didn't bother with it because it's not really major news, and whatever day it happened they actualy didn't have room for a fluff story. If it was in the paper, it was buried somewhere in there, and I don't do much mre than scan the headlines unless something really gets my attention.

So I can neither confirm nor deny the pressence of a larsonist simmian on the loose in Richardson.

......:confused:

Sascha
07-24-2009, 06:05 PM

There was a video report with the article, but the sound quality was ... lacking, heh. The surveillance footage looked like cryptid-quality identification, at least over the web :P

... Wait a minute. Isn't Goddess in Richardson? And she's been mysteriously missing from board activity ...

Work-monitored web access is just a cover! She really operates with a trained felonious monkey~! It all makes sense now!

Now if we can only get a field agent staking out the bananas in local supermarkets ...

Panthro82
07-24-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't know about you but if they put that article on the front page it would catch MY eye!!! I would stop and read about a hardened monkey criminal! They should put him in the slammer and he can lift weights and trade cigarettes!

Soft Serve
07-24-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't know about you but if they put that article on the front page it would catch MY eye!!! I would stop and read about a hardened monkey criminal! They should put him in the slammer and he can lift weights and trade cigarettes!

ROFL! I think a monkey might commit the perfect crime though.

tesral
07-25-2009, 12:13 AM
I go out gaming and you guys fill two more pages.

I'm all for any news story featuring our simian brethren. After all:

Speak for yourself.

No doubt prison life would give them hairballs being in the next cell over from the cat burglars.

Arkhemedes
07-25-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm telling you. It's going to to be fast and furious on these boards until Panthro or Softy reaches level 21. They're in a mad dash for the perceived finish line. Although, as expected, it looks at this point, like Panthro has taken a decisive lead.

tesral
07-25-2009, 10:32 AM
The things people perceive as important.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I doubt they see it as any kind of importance. They are just having fun, enjoying the camaraderie the site offers, if you will.

Q-man
07-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Maybe its not about level 21, maybe they are doing it for the thread. Tryign to get this one to have more posts than the word association one.

tesral
07-25-2009, 11:00 AM
More gaming tonight! I DM this time. Tee hee, game three night is a row. I am so glad this doesn't happen every week.

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 11:01 AM
nah it's for the levels.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-25-2009, 11:14 AM
More gaming tonight! I DM this time. Tee hee, game three night is a row. I am so glad this doesn't happen every week.
Damn tesral, you gotta stop rubbing in your good fortune. I'd love to be playing DnD today.

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Tes, I've still yet to play dnd..... ever. I hate your luck

Oldgamer
07-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Damn tesral, you gotta stop rubbing in your good fortune. I'd love to be playing DnD today.

Me too :(

Sascha
07-25-2009, 12:04 PM
More simian news: rogue monkey rehabilitation center (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8168199.stm)~

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Tes, I've still yet to play dnd..... ever. I hate your luck
Too bad you live so far away, Jmkeylon. I'd love to run you through my dnd, wfrp and traveller games.

I think all of us on P&PG wish there were teleportation devices for sale. I've met so many cool people with whom I'd love to game with yet distance is a factor. Sucks.

Best of luck to you in getting a game going in your neck of the woods.

thomaswhodoubts
07-25-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm supposed to be gaming now, but my players all have these lame excuses - 'I'm going to a wedding,' 'it's my wedding anniversary,' 'I'm in Texas,' etc. And we only meet every other week, so three in a row in one week is very much rubbing it in - but I'm happy for you. My life, and my wife, won't allow for that - yet. I'm waiting for my kids to be old enough that gaming counts as babysitting duty - oh boy, will that be cool.

tesral
07-25-2009, 12:41 PM

Well if you start driving (http://maps.google.com/maps?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=Castro+Valley,+CA&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=QENrSvu-CoLGsQOWz7CWBQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1)now they can be here for the next one.

thomaswhodoubts
07-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Well if you start driving (http://maps.google.com/maps?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=Castro+Valley,+CA&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=QENrSvu-CoLGsQOWz7CWBQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1)now they can be here for the next one.
Shouldn't you put directions to tesral's place?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Ahh, clever tesral. I didn't even think of hitting the link till thomaswhodoubts posted a response.

Doom Crow
07-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Meh, wish I had the players to play. Still haven't found anyone in my area since I've moved here. Everyone I try to message hasn't been logged into to this site for over a year. :(

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Sorry to hear. If its any comfort, when i first put out adds, i hit a dry spell. Then all of a sudden, it rained. So i found the saying true: When it rains, it pours. Just don't give up.

thomaswhodoubts
07-25-2009, 02:11 PM
I'll second Thoth on that - took about three years to get a group up and running after moving to a new area. Just don't give up. And hopefully your players won't jilt you so you're stuck on forums when you should be playing.

Nothing wrong with forums for gamers, of course.

Q-man
07-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Speaking of gaming, I get bored on weeknights. Can't get the campaign guys together every night after all, so you gotta get through the rest of the week.

Since I just learned how the chat thing works (yeah yeah, I know I'm slow about getting around this site) with dice rollers and all that. How does the community take to running little one shot skirmishes in there? I'd be up to running a few, just didn't know how often people would be if for something like that.

Now that I've finished typing all that it occurs to me that this is probably the wrong place to put this. But once I quit being lazy and make a new thread for it, I'll get double the points for the extra post :wink:

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Lol, I should probably quit whining about not getting in a game, this site actually got me hooked up with some players here in Tulsa, ((it's not DnD)) but it's still a PnP game. should be fun! I am meeting the guys on Monday.

oh yeah, it's Rifts that we will be playing btw

Kaewin
07-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Tonight should go well, the mole is FINALLY ready to make his move. After what happens we will probaly take a break from this game for a couple of weeks.

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 02:32 PM
ooooohhh.... why the break?

Kaewin
07-25-2009, 02:39 PM
The mole is goijng to kill the person he is "guarding" and burn down the Sanctum before the group catches hi. They are VERY close to him right now and its getting hot. I am going to give the assassinated player a chance to make a new PC of about the same level as she is going to be a victim of something she can't stop.

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 02:41 PM
poor girl... sounds exciting though!

Kaewin
07-25-2009, 02:47 PM
It should be, the spy was put into play about a year and 2 months ago to be a mole. He has booby trapped and caused problems and now they are taking him serious, but he is going to make his final strike and help set up another pc to do it. I am just glad he warned me ahead of time so i am not blindsided. I could stop him but that takes away their freedom. Also after last week where he killed a close npc they all should be worried.

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 02:54 PM
wow.... how long has this game been going on?

Soft Serve
07-25-2009, 03:02 PM
http://www.geneticanomaly.com/RPG-Motivational/slides/dex.jpg

Kaewin
07-25-2009, 03:04 PM
This game has been running on and off for a year and a half. it ties into my other Mage game that has been running for about 2 yrs.

The group has probably played their pcs for 9 or 10 months altogether not including breaks.

I have about 5 groups running in the same area. It will all wrap up on October 24th when there is a big get together. Some will live some will die and everything will be changed.

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 03:05 PM
wow... that sounds awesome!

Kaewin
07-25-2009, 03:07 PM
It's a lot of work to coordinate the groups. There was a pack of werewolves involved but they got killed.

After everything is over I think they will be happy with what happens.

traesin
07-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Meh, wish I had the players to play. Still haven't found anyone in my area since I've moved here. Everyone I try to message hasn't been logged into to this site for over a year. :(

Well If ya want to commute to Portland.....
It's been two years for me and still looking for a game. Not having a car hurts. I live in BFE and all the Games are in Beaverton. that's like 3hours on mass transit one way and with my crazy work schedule, it ain't happening.

Kaewin
07-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Hey in Winchester VA I have a group with a couple of open seats in it. C'mon and visit.

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 03:14 PM
just throwing this out there... I've leveled 3 times since I woke up this morning...

oops! this post makes it 4!

traesin
07-25-2009, 03:15 PM
wow. I just got up.

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 03:16 PM
>.< I've been at work for..... 6 hours.... probably won't be out until 10:45pm ((it's 3:15pm right now))

Kaewin
07-25-2009, 03:16 PM
I remember when I would do that.

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 03:17 PM
I've been doing this since last sunday.

Kaewin
07-25-2009, 03:19 PM
ow, what do you do?

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm a sound man at Rhema Church. We are having Camp meeting this week ((three services a day for 7 days))

traesin
07-25-2009, 03:23 PM
If it maked you feel better my next day off is a week from tomarrow. and I do have to work today

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 03:24 PM
yeah my next day off ((hopefully)) is monday... my last day off was.... ? over two weeks ago.

I'm not complaining though! I love my job! I just can't wait until I get a day off

traesin
07-25-2009, 03:28 PM
mt last day off was last Sunday. but I've been there. it sucks. At least you are doing it for a good cause. (GOD IS aWESOME)

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 03:34 PM
yeah, it's been an incredible week, just crazy long hours.

traesin
07-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Hey! I'm now a Hero!!!!!

tesral
07-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Ahh, clever tesral. I didn't even think of hitting the link till thomaswhodoubts posted a response.

Subtle are the ways of the Phoenix.

Speaking of gaming, I get bored on weeknights.

Marry a gamer girl like I did.

I'm a sound man at Rhema Church. We are having Camp meeting this week ((three services a day for 7 days))

Bites that you don't even get Sunday off.

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 04:16 PM
yeah.. I could try and claim that I need sunday off because of religious purposes, but I don't think they'd buy it

tesral
07-25-2009, 04:17 PM
yeah.. I could try and claim that I need sunday off because of religious purposes, but I don't think they'd buy it

I was always told that I should not work Sunday, but every preacher in Christendom does, go figure.

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 04:20 PM
meh, the sabbath was made so people can take a day to rest, it wasn't made to be a legalistic issue that it got turned into through the Jewish law ((in no way am I trying to bash jews or judaism))

traesin
07-25-2009, 04:23 PM
and the saying goes "no rest for the wiked"..

tesral
07-25-2009, 04:34 PM
and the saying goes "no rest for the wicked"..

rotflol!

Oldgamer
07-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Oh man ... when misspellings happen ... I can't help but laugh truly out loud sometimes :biggrin:

Panthro82
07-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Traesin is officially giving another P&PGer a run for his money as the worst speller on here. Can anyone guess who that other one is? I'll give you a hint...he spelled beer as bear.

Arkhemedes
07-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Hey now, spacemen don't need to know how to spell....do they?

tesral
07-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Traesin is officially giving another P&PGer a run for his money as the worst speller on here. Can anyone guess who that other one is? I'll give you a hint...he spelled beer as bear.

Due, you do not see my typing before the spell check. I am horrible, OK, this once you will. That should teach the lession.

traesin
07-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Hey never claimed to be a great speller.:biggrin: In fact I'm well known for my lack of spelling ability amoung my friends. Ahhh the stories i could tell ya...but it would strech my spelling.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-26-2009, 01:06 AM
I always liked to follow the unwritten rule that states that one never judges the spelling and grammar of another when reading his or her writing online.

traesin
07-26-2009, 01:11 AM
I don't care as long as everyone at least gets what I'm trying to say.....

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-26-2009, 01:18 AM
We all flub our spelling from time to time, myself included. You have the right attitude about it.

tesral
07-26-2009, 04:39 AM
I always liked to follow the unwritten rule that states that one never judges the spelling and grammar of another when reading his or her writing online.

Unless the typo is incredibly funny.

I have a spell checker working within my desktop manager independent of any program. I can spell check anything I write.

Doom Crow
07-26-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm not so much worried about my game here in my local area as I am about by PBP game. So far no interest has been generated by what I've seen since I posted my introduction to what my game is about. I figured a PBP would keep me occupied while I put together my face to face campaign but now I'm not so sure.

I even created my own campaign wiki on Obsidian Portal in the spirit of their new partnership with P&P Games, but even if nothing comes of it at least I am developing content for my campaign setting.

My old players are about 70 miles from where I currently live and I've had 3 of them tell me they are interested in carpooling up to the game and most likely crashing at our place for the night since it'll probably be too late for them to drive home safely. That being said, I still need to find players near where I live for a consistent player base that can fill out a party.

CEBedford
07-26-2009, 08:11 AM
We all flub our spelling from time to time, myself included. You have the right attitude about it.

I do when I'm posting fast, as happens when I'm multi-tasking. It's just especially funny when your post is short and you mispell a word that's key to what you're saying. Especially when using common phrases meant to really get your point across. :biggrin:

Dark
07-26-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm not so much worried about my game here in my local area as I am about by PBP game. So far no interest has been generated by what I've seen since I posted my introduction to what my game is about. I figured a PBP would keep me occupied while I put together my face to face campaign but now I'm not so sure.

I even created my own campaign wiki on Obsidian Portal in the spirit of their new partnership with P&P Games, but even if nothing comes of it at least I am developing content for my campaign setting.

My old players are about 70 miles from where I currently live and I've had 3 of them tell me they are interested in carpooling up to the game and most likely crashing at our place for the night since it'll probably be too late for them to drive home safely. That being said, I still need to find players near where I live for a consistent player base that can fill out a party.

It happens sometimes here I've seen PbP games take off and are still going while others don't so much get a nibble.

PbP I posted here:
1. SG-1 D20 RPG a few comments but no one seriously wanted to play

2. Old School AD&D had some people who wanted to play and posted a few times and then poof.

3. King of the Trollhaunt Warrens 4e D&D that one took off but from lack of players not being able to follow even the most basic of my rules. In the end I got fed up and pulled the plug on the whole thing and I don't regret it because after that I started my next PbP.

4. World's Largest Dungeon 3.5 D&D did great and has been going strong coming up on 4 months now.

5. Lifeless: A Zombie Modern D20 RPG also doing great and is also comming up on a 4 months only yesterday I added a new member who sent me a Private Message wanting to play.

6. Castles & Crusades just started a few weeks ago and is doing great for players and posts.

So all I can say is don't let the lack of interest get you down Doom sometimes it isn't in the cards. Trust me it won't be the last but then again who knows the next one you will get a few.

thomaswhodoubts
07-26-2009, 09:07 AM
That's certainly true on forums, where I would never give anyone a hard time for a spelling error, unless it was really funny, but I have a hell of a time getting my students to realize that writing an e-mail to a prospective employer is not at all the same. In short, there's e-mail, and then there's e-mail.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Unless the typo is incredibly funny.

In that case, teasing is in order. No one is above teasing for misspelled words that are funny, including me. :biggrin:

I do when I'm posting fast, as happens when I'm multi-tasking. It's just especially funny when your post is short and you mispell a word that's key to what you're saying. Especially when using common phrases meant to really get your point across. :biggrin:

My problem, exactly. I type too fast and am always a few words ahead of my fingers. I notice from time to time i misspelled words and fix them later. Of course, i always blame my laptop. Sure, no one buys it, but i use the excuse anyway.

If there was anything that bothers me it would be the folks that write in caps. THE WRITTEN WORD IN THIS FORMAT BUGS ME AND I PREFER NEVER TO SEE IT DONE. THANK THE GODS NO ONE SCREAMS ON THE P&PG BOREDS.

Yes, i misspelled a word... well, sorta, for your enjoyment. :eek:

CEBedford
07-26-2009, 09:54 AM
If there was anything that bothers me it would be the folks that write in caps. THE WRITTEN WORD IN THIS FORMAT BUGS ME AND I PREFER NEVER TO SEE IT DONE. THANK THE GODS NO ONE SCREAMS ON THE P&PG BOREDS.

Haha yeah. I went on a rant at work one time because our District Manager sent a district wide webmail in all caps bright blue font. He already got me fired up by never using punctuation or capital letters.

My boss just laughed.

I don't let it bother me so much on forums, but at work it's just unprofessional.

Jmkeylon
07-26-2009, 09:57 AM
wow, yeah that's horrible! work settings should be professional in all forms of communication ((e-mails, memo's, work orders, the like)). I had a District manager that would "yell" at us in e-mails using caps and red lettering

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Haha yeah. I went on a rant at work one time because our District Manager sent a district wide webmail in all caps bright blue font. He already got me fired up by never using punctuation or capital letters.

My boss just laughed.

I don't let it bother me so much on forums, but at work it's just unprofessional.

Your boss, if he was smart, would have taken your advice. Workplace emails and memo's demand correct spelling and punctuation. Professionalism demands it.

wow, yeah that's horrible! work settings should be professional in all forms of communication ((e-mails, memo's, work orders, the like)). I had a District manager that would "yell" at us in e-mails using caps and red lettering

Agreed, horrible. You just gotta wonder about some folks.

CEBedford
07-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Your boss, if he was smart, would have taken your advice. Workplace emails and memo's demand correct spelling and punctuation. Professionalism demands it.

Actually it was my store manager who laughed. He always laughed at my rants. It was his (our) boss that was making the screw ups. Anyway yeah, he probably still should have taken it more seriously. Oh well.

traesin
07-26-2009, 12:27 PM
My problem is my brain works faster than my fingers. Well okay I really can't spell well and I forget about spell check on forums. If this was for work...I triple check everything. It's one thing to be teased by you guys( it makes me laugh too) it's another to screw up at work, especially since everything I write at my one job can be reviewed at anytime by the State Of Oregon and the Federal Government. I've been interview by one branch of the feds once(FBI). that's enough for me thanks.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-26-2009, 12:31 PM
My problem is my brain works faster than my fingers. Well okay I really can't spell well and I forget about spell check on forums. If this was for work...I triple check everything. It's one thing to be teased by you guys( it makes me laugh too) it's another to screw up at work, especially since everything I write at my one job can be reviewed at anytime by the State Of Oregon and the Federal Government. I've been interview by one branch of the feds once(FBI). that's enough for me thanks.
That doesn't sound like it was any fun. Was it the way you worded something that flagged you for a... 'conversation?'

traesin
07-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Arson. We had a fire at one of my old Jobs. The local police questioned me because my boyfriend at the time and I played D&D. He had the huge conspiracy theory about how my Boyfriend was the ringleader and we(the players) where his minions doing his biding. Because they couldn't get in info from anyone, the police called in the FBI. I got questioned again by them and given a detector test. They never did find out what happened.

tesral
07-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Time to fire off a lawsuit or something like that.

traesin
07-26-2009, 12:49 PM
We got a good chuckle over it. I just chalk it up to "another day in the life of Reese". I've had all kinds of weird things like that happen in my life. Never a dull moment

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Time to fire off a lawsuit or something like that.
I would think you had a suit. It was obvious you were singled out due to your gaming.

traesin
07-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Probably. I sure the Carmel, In police dept would have made it so we'd lose...At least at that time. I HOPE they aren't like that now.

Jmkeylon
07-26-2009, 06:14 PM
sounds lame. Though I do keep my gaming habits secret from those around me for this very reason >.>

tesral
07-26-2009, 07:29 PM
sounds lame. Though I do keep my gaming habits secret from those around me for this very reason >.>

I have little to hide or reason to hide it. I rather relish the "crazy old man"

Jmkeylon
07-26-2009, 07:31 PM
haha, I just don't feel comfortable sitting around talking about games in a very public setting. especially not RP based games, my characters are very personal to me.

tesral
07-26-2009, 07:37 PM
I just got back from eating dinner out, and Sue (my wife) and I did gaming stuff for most of the time.

Jmkeylon
07-26-2009, 07:42 PM
dude... I can't get my wife to play ANY game besides poker.

Soft Serve
07-26-2009, 08:02 PM
DUDE...

Your married?

I am so sorry....When did it happen? :laugh:

Jmkeylon
07-26-2009, 08:05 PM
3 years ago?

tesral
07-26-2009, 08:28 PM
16 years ago with Susan. She is a science fiction fan, a gamer a modeler, and a computer nerd. She does not play head games. She is cute, a redhead, and belly dances.

Example, when I wanted a miniature table saw, list price about 280 dollars, her reaction was not "do you need that" it was :Is that the one you need?"

Last year she bought me a new laptop, Lenovo T-61 that shipped with Suse Linux Enterprise Edition. A month later when I announced that Gate, my 2003 desktop computer had reacted the end of the upgrade. The new 500 gig drive would not work with it. We went to return the drive, and exchange it for a SATA drive for the computer to be. I didn't walk out with a sata drive. I walked out with all the componets for the machine I am typing on now, Phoenix.

I have a wonderful wife.

Soft Serve
07-26-2009, 11:34 PM
16 years ago with Susan. She is a science fiction fan, a gamer a modeler, and a computer nerd. She does not play head games. She is cute, a redhead, and belly dances.

Example, when I wanted a miniature table saw, list price about 280 dollars, her reaction was not "do you need that" it was :Is that the one you need?"

Last year she bought me a new laptop, Lenovo T-61 that shipped with Suse Linux Enterprise Edition. A month later when I announced that Gate, my 2003 desktop computer had reacted the end of the upgrade. The new 500 gig drive would not work with it. We went to return the drive, and exchange it for a SATA drive for the computer to be. I didn't walk out with a sata drive. I walked out with all the componets for the machine I am typing on now, Phoenix.

I have a wonderful wife.

My last girlfriend made me do her math homework, and cook for her...

................damnit.

Doom Crow
07-27-2009, 12:18 AM
My last girlfriend made me do her math homework, and cook for her...

................damnit.

You should sue her for violating child labor laws :p

traesin
07-27-2009, 01:26 AM
tesral, your wife sounds like me, but i don't like cooking... at all. Now all I need is a guy in my life.........

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-27-2009, 01:38 AM
tesral, your wife sounds like me, but i don't like cooking... at all. Now all I need is a guy in my life.........
If you're anything like tesral's wife (qualities as tesral described them), we'd all be lining up to vie for your attention. Promise. :biggrin:

traesin
07-27-2009, 02:12 AM
okay no red hair, it's brown. no belly dancing either. how about 5'3 and 180lbs. Got big girls though:biggrin:

tesral
07-27-2009, 08:35 AM

Did I mention she does like to cook and we don't buy bread, Sue bakes it fresh.

That said I do most of the cooking. Sue brings home the bacon so I do the majority of the housework, that is the housework I can manage.

Arkhemedes
07-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Several years ago we had two girls (girl friends) in our gaming group, both of which got into belly dancing.

tesral
07-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Several years ago we had two girls (girl friends) in our gaming group, both of which got into belly dancing.

I like it. I can't do it, but I like it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-27-2009, 09:56 AM
I've noticed Belly Dancing growing in popularity. Seems its even taught in many of the fitness centers, now-a-days. Go figure, but hey, I'm not complaining. Mmmm, Belly Dancing. <Turns head up, drops tongue down side of face, makes gurgling sounds>

Oldgamer
07-27-2009, 09:59 AM
My wife's a redhead, though she doesn't do belly dancing ... er, unless I asked her to :) Actually that's one of her strong points, her motto is "I'll try anything once ... and twice if I like it". :biggrin: She'll play D&D, but she doesn't know the rules, she just likes the role-play aspect.

Arkhemedes
07-27-2009, 10:30 AM
My wife's a redhead, though she doesn't do belly dancing ... er, unless I asked her to :) Actually that's one of her strong points, her motto is "I'll try anything once ... and twice if I like it". :biggrin: She'll play D&D, but she doesn't know the rules, she just likes the role-play aspect.
I find that people who "don't know the rules" but use common sense and enjoy role playing are often the best kind of players a GM can have. Everything is a wonder to them and they can't argue about the rules. :biggrin:

tesral
07-27-2009, 10:59 AM
I've noticed Belly Dancing growing in popularity. Seems its even taught in many of the fitness centers, now-a-days. Go figure, but hey, I'm not complaining. Mmmm, Belly Dancing. <Turns head up, drops tongue down side of face, makes gurgling sounds>

Aerobic, low impact, and a great whole body toner that promotes flexibility. And it makes guys do that.

thomaswhodoubts
07-27-2009, 01:47 PM
And I'll volunteer for any belly dancer that needs help leveling up.

Sascha
07-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Xander (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0107183/): You got a lot of volunteers in here.
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, 4.8, "Pangs"

traesin
07-28-2009, 12:55 AM
I would love to learn how to belly dance. Just no time right now. Did you know there are now more belly dancers in the US then anywhere else? The had some kinda of belly dancing show up here last month. i would have loved to go.

Doom Crow
07-28-2009, 07:37 AM
I would love to learn how to belly dance. Just no time right now. Did you know there are now more belly dancers in the US then anywhere else? The had some kinda of belly dancing show up here last month. i would have loved to go.

It's an up and coming prestige class in the United States ;)

Kaewin
07-28-2009, 08:42 AM
It would be nice if my wife would learn that, after all I wait on her all the time she could do something like that to amuse me for once.

Sascha
07-28-2009, 02:29 PM
So Iron Man sequel teaser shots out now. Scarlett Johansson is Black Widow. 'Scuse me while I fall in love~

Arkhemedes
07-28-2009, 02:31 PM
So Iron Man sequel teaser shots out now. Scarlett Johansson is Black Widow. 'Scuse me while I fall in love~
Yeah, I hear ya. Man, I can hardly wait.

Sascha
07-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Curses! Forgot to steal back our copy of Scoop from my sister before moving. Le sigh, no Scarlett Johansson fix for me ... unless ... might have Lost in Translation, though~!

Panthro82
07-28-2009, 03:25 PM

awww we're infatuated with the same girl! Curses to Ryan Reynolds! She was supposed to marry me!! :)

Q-man
07-28-2009, 05:00 PM
I feel all out dated. I still haven't gotten around to seeing the first Iron Man. Its on my netflix list, I swear.

CEBedford
07-28-2009, 05:29 PM
I feel all out dated. I still haven't gotten around to seeing the first Iron Man. Its on my netflix list, I swear.

Do it. Easily my favorite comic book movie of all time. Plus it has The Dude in it.

Doom Crow
07-28-2009, 05:30 PM
So Black Widow married Green Lantern, I mean Deadpool, wait I mean Green Lantern.. Guess she has a thing for super heroes.

By the way, Olivia Munn is also in Iron Man II. Yum.

traesin
07-29-2009, 03:33 AM

Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat. I'm way behind on movies, I just watched Jumper. Push be arriving Friday.

Q-man
07-29-2009, 06:51 AM
I haven't seen Jumper yet either. Netflix has been my downfall with new movies, I just put them on the list and skip going to the theater. With the 150 movies on that list it takes a long long time before stuff trickles to the top.

I've been on this kick of watching older stuff like all the movies Alfred Hitchcock made, which took me a long time to go through. Well worth it though.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Jumper wasn't too bad. I actually liked it plus it shows just how cool teleportation can be. Also, i read somewhere they will be--maybe already are--making a second film. I hope so.

Doom Crow
07-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Jumper was alright, Hayden Christensen was actually tolerable this time with his acting, and the action sequences were entertaining even though the story wasn't all that great, something that surprised me since David S. Goyer wrote it and he's usually great with screenplays.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-29-2009, 09:46 AM
The next movie i have high hopes for is District 9. Comes out in August, so hopefully it will be good.

Kaewin
07-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Well my game went better when I thought. I thought one of my friends was going to utterly loose it because she got killed. She took it better than I thought.

Still we are going to take a break and try Werewolf for a while.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Had a guy storm out once after getting killed, but hey, when you play that stupid, not even the DM cant save you.

Q-man
07-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Been a while since I've seen a character die in a campaign. Then again death is such a transitory state in those games. Unless they do something phenomenally stupid the party can probably resurrect them, and this is what probably leads to the aforementioned stupid choices.

I have to admit, as a DM it can be quite satisfying to smear a player across a dungeon with some ultra-powerful attack. I haven't done that in a while, I may need to cook up something diabolical for the party.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-29-2009, 10:53 AM
To be more specific in my earlier post, one of our guys was on a ship and the party knew there would be combat (ship ramming as well as magic). Well, as the dice would have it--even though they won--their ship sank too. Long story short, this guy, who refused to take off his full plate armor while on the ship, was the only one that died. He sunk like a rock. Ah well, everyone told him that it wasn't wise to wear it but he knew better--NOT. LOL

Genesplicer
07-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Water travel and Rust-monsters, the banes of high AC's.

Arkhemedes
07-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Well my game went better when I thought. I thought one of my friends was going to utterly loose it because she got killed. She took it better than I thought.

Still we are going to take a break and try Werewolf for a while.
Yeah, games generally do go better "when" you think. (Just kidding. :laugh:)

Fortunately, I haven't had a player get very upset when their character died in a very long time. But I have had some doosies in the distant past. Part of it I think comes down to making better choices about who I invite into my game.

Takatchi
07-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Player death is something that varies from game to game, and sometimes, people know they're gonna die. In my first D&D group, dying was pretty much a fact of life, and the group didn't want to rez someone who would be a level lower than they were, so we just made a new character and got on with it.

Then, when I joined a more RP-centric D&D group who liked progressing through an adventure instead of just killing the monsters for the XP, character death was only the result of blatant stupidity (like deciding to go solo to infiltrate a blue dragon's lair) or a really important battle - the DM would mostly fudge if a goblin rolled a triple-20 insta-kill on a PC, but if the BBEG cracked you down to -10 hit points, you were gone.

Doom Crow
07-29-2009, 11:41 AM
When PCs do something stupid, they get hammered and I have no pangs of conscience. For instance, I had a Bard in one higher level game fly off ahead of the party as they went towards an inevitable battle against the Red Wizards. He charged onto the scene and was met by a disintegration spell that he critically failed and was promptly reduced to a pile of ash.

Soft Serve
07-29-2009, 02:19 PM
I haven't seen Jumper yet either. Netflix has been my downfall with new movies, I just put them on the list and skip going to the theater. With the 150 movies on that list it takes a long long time before stuff trickles to the top.

I've been on this kick of watching older stuff like all the movies Alfred Hitchcock made, which took me a long time to go through. Well worth it though.

Nightcrawler FTW.

And I'm proud of myself. I clicked your egg and gave it that big hole it has in the middle. I'm not sure if I broke it or helped it hatch, but I did something and for that, your welcome. :D

Sascha
07-29-2009, 03:27 PM
We've tried to wean the cat off straight-from-the-tap water, 'specially with her health and the new house's skinny sinkways, as she fell off the counter a few times since her vet visit. Fresh water in her dish, by the stove, where it's been since we moved. And she accepted it. Or so we thought.

I wake up this morning, a note taped to my door; apparently the cat, in protest of the new water policies (that is, dish, instead of faucet), jumped into the shower with the roommate and headed for running water.

The little monster was still damp when I found her napping.

Arkhemedes
07-29-2009, 04:18 PM
So...this cat...is it on some serious medication or something?

(Wow, I just noticed I made 19th level...I wasn't even paying attention. Last time I looked I was only halfway through 18th level! That sure went quicker than I expected. :confused:)

Sascha
07-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Thyroid pills, twice daily; nothing that she hasn't been on for the past year. It's just now she's more aggressive with her demands, heh. Overall, she's more aggressive, though; she'll claw at my roommate's hand, while we're eating, pulling the fork/spoon to herself (the cat knows better than to try it with me :P).

Arkhemedes
07-29-2009, 04:40 PM
So, I take it this cat has always had an atypical personality then.

Sascha
07-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Perhaps. Could be why she's been around longer than any other pet I've had. Or she's like that because she's been with me that long; hard to tell ;)

Arkhemedes
07-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Well, we're all influenced by our environments...cat's included.

(Have you noticed? Three posts about cats and not one mention of hairballs! It's been a struggle, but I think I'm doing pretty goo...Doh!)

tesral
07-29-2009, 05:54 PM
(Wow, I just noticed I made 19th level...I wasn't even paying attention. Last time I looked I was only halfway through 18th level! That sure went quicker than I expected. :confused:)

You only get half XP if you pay attention.

Well, we're all influenced by our environments...cat's included.

I hope so. The squijet is about driving the adults nuts.

(Have you noticed? Three posts about cats and not one mention of hairballs! It's been a struggle, but I think I'm doing pretty goo...Doh!)

I hope the new kitten isn't prone to hairballs. I haven't seen any since we lost Tiger.

Arkhemedes
07-29-2009, 06:11 PM
I guess I should stop paying attention then.

On the other hand, at this point, I really don't give a flip about what level I am. It has little to do with why I write posts. ;)

Sascha
07-29-2009, 08:30 PM
On the other hand, at this point, I really don't give a flip about what level I am. It has little to do with why I write posts. ;)
Chief Inspector Japp (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0413946/): Does a madman have any motive?
Agatha Christie: Poirot, 4.01, "The ABC Murders"

(:D)

Arkhemedes
07-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Chief Inspector Japp (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0413946/): Does a madman have any motive?
Agatha Christie: Poirot, 4.01, "The ABC Murders"

(:D)
(Ssshhh....You weren't suppose to say anything.)

They're coming to take me away haha! They're coming to take me away!

Sascha
07-29-2009, 09:16 PM
(Ssshhh....You weren't suppose to say anything.)

They're coming to take me away haha! They're coming to take me away!
Dexter Morgan (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0355910/): There are no secrets in life, just hidden truths that lie beneath the surface.
Dexter, 1.02, "Crocodile"

The2501Project
07-29-2009, 10:53 PM
I'll admit to my inexperience here and ask how I get an XP bar set to show up to the right of my avatar like everyone else.

Arkhemedes
07-29-2009, 11:03 PM
I'll admit to my inexperience here and ask how I get an XP bar set to show up to the right of my avatar like everyone else.
If you're asking what I think you're asking, the orange bar is an indication of your overall level, the blue bar indicates how close you are to acquiring the next level, and the green bar indicates your amount of activity here in P&PG. You can get more info on these things by clicking on your user name right here or for an even more detailed break down go to your profile and look under experience. Hope this answers your question.

The2501Project
07-29-2009, 11:11 PM
That's exactly what I wanted to know. Much appreciation.

tesral
07-30-2009, 01:15 AM
And if you totally discard any pretense of having a life you get one like mine.

traesin
07-30-2009, 02:22 AM
wait...I don't have a life and my bars don't look like that....

Kaewin
07-30-2009, 05:24 AM
Not sure I have a life, bounce off on a few boards to waste my time and all of the day gaming O do. I think today might be the only I might not game unless my daughters want a pick up game this afternoon.

traesin
07-30-2009, 06:10 AM
:(lucky. still no gaming in my life

Doom Crow
07-30-2009, 01:10 PM
It'll pick up soon, chin up!

Soft Serve
07-30-2009, 02:00 PM
wait...I don't have a life and my bars don't look like that....

He's had no life longer. Easy answer.

Lower your standards. Play a game online. :D

Oldgamer
07-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Lower your standards. Play a game online. :D

That's what I did. I've moved so much in the past year that I play online PbP's now. It sharpens your writing skills if anything, and gives you a lot more personal game experience because you can play in 20 games at once if you like :) Everyday.

Arkhemedes
07-30-2009, 02:32 PM
How do feel about play by post? Granted it's not the same as face-to-face tabletop play. But it's something anyway. I know of a couple PBP looking for players (hint,hint). :biggrin:

Doom Crow
07-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Speaking of opportunites to shamelessly plug PBP campaigns, Arkhemedes and I have formed our own PBP campaigns here at P&P Games and we're looking for players, so if you're bored then check them out!!

Mine is a Pathfinder RPG game that you can find at Dirge of Everlasting Iniquity (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164)

The one Arkhemedes is running is a 3.5 Raveloft game which you can find at Dead of the Night (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/group.php?groupid=162)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Joined one and am waiting approval to join the other. Thanks for listing.

Doom Crow
07-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Excellent! Hey no problem, anything to get a group together for a good story and some fun times!

Soft Serve
07-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Excellent! Hey no problem, anything to get a group together for a good story and some fun times!

Dropped Ark a line for the Ravenloft. I don't understand pathfinder...

Doom Crow
07-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Dropped Ark a line for the Ravenloft. I don't understand pathfinder...

What don't you understand?

Soft Serve
07-30-2009, 05:04 PM
What don't you understand?

all of it.

It's seriously super confusing to me...

.......Cause I've never read any of it. :p

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-30-2009, 05:12 PM
all of it.

It's seriously super confusing to me...

.......Cause I've never read any of it. :p
That's the first step to enlightenment, Grasshopper.

Soft Serve
07-30-2009, 05:18 PM

Yeah but I'm about to move so I don't want to DL it. Not that I'm a pirate, but I usually do DL RPG books to read through them and see what I think before I make a $50-$60 committment.

Doom Crow
07-30-2009, 05:31 PM
You can download the Beta Rules from Paizo's website for free.

Soft Serve
07-30-2009, 05:33 PM
You can download the Beta Rules from Paizo's website for free.

Yeah but I'm about to move so I don't want to DL it.

In 2 days I'm gone for a while so I'll have to wait until I get a new computer to join the PBP or get the rules.

Doom Crow
07-30-2009, 07:22 PM
All right well good luck with the move and be safe!

tesral
07-30-2009, 07:53 PM

me/ eats the Grasshopper.

Kaewin
07-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Those are great cookies aren't they?

traesin
07-31-2009, 01:36 AM
hey thanks for the advise. I'd never thought of pbp.

tesral
07-31-2009, 06:56 AM
hey thanks for the advise. I'd never thought of pbp.

Crusade of Conscience (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126) to toot my own horn.

Kaewin
07-31-2009, 08:41 AM
Morning everyone, anyone want to take my wife's car to get an oil change for me?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Ah, got to take my own car in to get some weatherstripping replaced.

tesral
07-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Morning everyone, anyone want to take my wife's car to get an oil change for me?

I';ll trade, I'll take the car in for an oil change, you pick up mine from the mechanic.

Sascha
07-31-2009, 12:30 PM
Cat went in for her checkup this morning; she'll be staying with the vet 'til they can collect urine samples (to check her kidney functions). Unlike last time, she's being her usual uncooperative, grouchy self, and let everyone know she now understands the game and won't dignify it with participation :P

Kaewin
07-31-2009, 01:53 PM
Do they use a smaller cup?

Arkhemedes
07-31-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I've never been very comfortable when they stand over your shoulder and make you pee. Poor kitty.

Doom Crow
07-31-2009, 04:34 PM
You don't ask them to hold the cup for you? Hm, I must be the only one.. :drum:

Soft Serve
07-31-2009, 04:45 PM
Oh no. I present a conundrum for them.

"Will you hold the cup for me?"
"What?"
"I get nervous if you watch and my hands will shake. So you can either go back with piss on your hands or stop watching me do my thing."
--they get to pick--

Sascha
07-31-2009, 06:16 PM
Results are back, and so is the cat. The infection's all gone, her ears are squeaky-clean, and she's her old crotchety self. This vet was surprised at how her behavior changed from last Tuesday; I think she just took it easy on him - she bit the last vet, back in California, first meeting :P

thomaswhodoubts
07-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Crusade of Conscience (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126) to toot my own horn.
Looks like you all had fun.

Soft Serve
08-01-2009, 12:04 AM

You toot your own horn in public?

tesral
08-01-2009, 12:18 AM
You toot your own horn in public?

Not a lot of point doing it in private. :cool:

Sascha
08-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Liz Lemon (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0275486/): If reality TV has taught us anything, it's that you can't keep people with no shame down.
30 Rock, 2.12, "Subway Hero"

Bob the Dalek
08-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Phoenixes are well known for the single entendre

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Phoenixes are well known for the single entendre
Careful, he can cast 10th level spells.... i'm just saying. :fear:

tesral
08-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Liz Lemon (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0275486/): If reality TV has taught us anything, it's that you can't keep people with no shame down.
30 Rock, 2.12, "Subway Hero"

I'd sell my parrot to anyone.

Doom Crow
08-01-2009, 01:03 AM
Johnny Depp will likely buy it, he needs one for Pirates of the Caribbean 4.

Sascha
08-01-2009, 01:07 AM
I'd sell my parrot to anyone.
Frasier (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001288/): If only you could replace the image.
Frasier, 6.24, "Shutout in Seattle"

thomaswhodoubts
08-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Pirates FOUR? I hope they have the decency to at least go into space this time
:laser:

Kaewin
08-01-2009, 09:33 AM
could be worse it could be a 6 picture deal that takes 25 yrs to do the second set of pics after the first trilogy and do it about his father grows up to be a pirate captain and make the whole thing suck.

Of course that has never happened before.

Sascha
08-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Dennis Finch (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005450/): You know, George Lucas is my idol. Just this year I've written fourteen Star Wars, eight Indiana Joneses, and a sequel to Willow. You have a dwarf and a sword, the thing writes itself.
Just Shoot Me, 7.8, "It's Raining Babies"

Soft Serve
08-01-2009, 05:58 PM

How exactly would they accomplish that?

Dennis Finch (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005450/): You know, George Lucas is my idol. Just this year I've written fourteen Star Wars, eight Indiana Joneses, and a sequel to Willow. You have a dwarf and a sword, the thing writes itself.
Just Shoot Me, 7.8, "It's Raining Babies"

I love David Spade.

Doom Crow
08-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Speaking of opportunites to shamelessly plug PBP campaigns, Arkhemedes and I have formed our own PBP campaigns here at P&P Games and we're looking for players, so if you're bored then check them out!!

Mine is a Pathfinder RPG game that you can find at Dirge of Everlasting Iniquity (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164)

The one Arkhemedes is running is a 3.5 Raveloft game which you can find at Dead of the Night (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/group.php?groupid=162)

Still looking for players! Don't be shy... :p

Soft Serve
08-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Still looking for XP.

So here I post!

Q-man
08-02-2009, 05:47 PM
How does play by post work? You just watch the forums for your turn to put up an action, or respond to dialog? Sounds like the games would be pretty slow moving.

Soft Serve
08-02-2009, 05:53 PM
How does play by post work? You just watch the forums for your turn to put up an action, or respond to dialog? Sounds like the games would be pretty slow moving.

They generally are. I treat PBP like I treat e-mails.

But then again if it's like 2 or 3 people you might get post after post after post.

And then again they're usually like a paragragh at least...So if you like to read, write, and have other stuff to do thats more important then go for it.

But if you like playing games for the feeling of playing games and not writing a story with two to four co-authors then let it go.

Doom Crow
08-02-2009, 06:09 PM

Aparently they are beginning a new trilogy with Jack Sparrow as he looks for the Fountain of Youth. Bloom and Knightley won't be in it, but Geoffrey Rush and his crew probably will.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

PBP is a bit slower paced depending on the size of the group, but generally works the same as a normal game would. Scenes are created with interaction and dialogue between players and their environment, with combat every once in a while but it's usually not very frequent in PBP. There is an integrated dice roller in the PBP Forum so rolling checks and using it for combat can be done, but the main appeal of PBP is the creation of an in-depth story that develops over time. There's a lot of role-playing and description, and the direction of the story depends upon the actions of the players' choices in the game. Character development is a big aspect of the game, as opposed to the accumulation of treasure for min/maxxing and endless combat hack n slash through the dungeon to wipe out every monster like in some face to face games.

Sascha
08-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Aparently they are beginning a new trilogy with Jack Sparrow as he looks for the Fountain of Youth. Bloom and Knightley won't be in it, but Geoffrey Rush and his crew probably will.
Salem (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048169/): [comes running down the stairs as a kitten] I found the Fountain of Youth! It's the toilet!
Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, 2.11, "Oh What a Tangled Spell She Weaves"

Q-man
08-03-2009, 08:48 AM
PBP is a bit slower paced depending on the size of the group, but generally works the same as a normal game would. Scenes are created with interaction and dialogue between players and their environment, with combat every once in a while but it's usually not very frequent in PBP. There is an integrated dice roller in the PBP Forum so rolling checks and using it for combat can be done, but the main appeal of PBP is the creation of an in-depth story that develops over time. There's a lot of role-playing and description, and the direction of the story depends upon the actions of the players' choices in the game. Character development is a big aspect of the game, as opposed to the accumulation of treasure for min/maxxing and endless combat hack n slash through the dungeon to wipe out every monster like in some face to face games.

That doesn't sound so bad, I may have to give those a try. One thing I miss from the online games I've been playing is the lack of description. I don't type fast enough to get it all out without adding some massive delays to the game. I used to prepare descriptions for areas, then inevitably the PC's would go another way or enter the room by means of a fireball rendering my prepared descriptions useless.

There's no locks on the PBP threads are there? Maybe I should sneak into one and do some reading.

yukonhorror
08-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Some are private, but not all.

The one I am in "unquiet lands" is not. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140

pbp has its good points and bad points. It is very slow. However, it is relatively convenient. I post within the posting period, and I can then go back to work and check on the DM's response the next day. As a DM, it is a little trickier than a more live game, but not too bad. But I think our DM handles things well.

Arkhemedes
08-03-2009, 10:12 AM
That doesn't sound so bad, I may have to give those a try. One thing I miss from the online games I've been playing is the lack of description. I don't type fast enough to get it all out without adding some massive delays to the game. I used to prepare descriptions for areas, then inevitably the PC's would go another way or enter the room by means of a fireball rendering my prepared descriptions useless.

There's no locks on the PBP threads are there? Maybe I should sneak into one and do some reading.
What yukonhorror said. Some you can read, some you can't.

I believe Doom Crow's, for example, can be read by anyone. With mine, I was hoping I could set it up so that people outside the group can read it but not post there without an invite. I thought I had it set up that way. But people are telling me they can't read it outside of the group. I'll ask Farcaster if there's a way to fix that.

But the great thing about PBP is that you can get as descriptive as you want and it doesn't matter what time of the day you check in.

Oldgamer
08-03-2009, 10:48 AM
My PbP's are very descriptive, I actually write in a narrative style describing everything the party may see. I'm not sure about how they work here on P&PG's as I have used Mythweavers in the past, but the BBS coding allows for OOC tags where all you see is the letters OOC (or whatever you want them to see) and when the mouse is hovered over it, you ca read whatever you wanted to be out of character. I post maps, images, anything that can be player aids on their own threads so they don't take up the posting thread. And I encourage my players to be descriptive and write as if they are the character in a first or third person narrative.

PbP games, if everyone posts once a day, can run fairly fast ... not as fast as F2F, but if everyone tries to post once a day or every other day at the most ... the game keeps flowing. Just check in once a day and make a post is all ya gotta do. Below is what I'm talking about, in game you just hover over the underlined red words and you can see dice rolls or anything else you want.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii84/freefallin1309/untitled-4.jpg

thomaswhodoubts
08-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Did you level up?

Oldgamer
08-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Did you level up?

Who are you asking?

Doom Crow
08-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Yes membership for my campaign's social group is open so anyone can read the forum, which again is located at Dirge of Everlasting Iniquity (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164). Even if not interested in playing, I encourage you to read along with us, it might enterain you from a reading standpoint.

Also, I encourage you to follow my world as it grows in the campaign setting I am developing, which you can read about at Obsidian Portal where I am writing new content every day (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/pariatas).

I am also keeping track of my campaign at OP and putting most of the background info and history at Dirge of the Damned (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dirge-of-the-damned). Again, take a read even if you don't want to play. I am developign my world as a writer and wish to get as much feedback/criticism/thoughts about it as possible.

Genesplicer
08-03-2009, 05:01 PM
I don't play PBP for the simple reason that I prefer to interat with other players over the table. There just isn't any substitute for the physical interacton, voice inflection, body posture, etc... Pluss, I play almost as much for the smart ass comments and player comradery as I do for the roleplay. Plus I like to be able to see the reactions of other players to the way I roleplay. I not only like to have fun, but I like to experience everyone else having fun with me. You just can't do that over PBP. I've nothing against it as a whole, but I've tried it and it just feals kinda "flat" to me. So no PBP for me. But if you don't mind not being able to see th other players face to face, it can be every rewarding and differant experience.

Oldgamer
08-03-2009, 05:08 PM
It's as flat as us speaking on P&PG's :biggrin: I also encourage smartassery in my PbP games, though you can't see the person, their words are quite descriptive.

Genesplicer
08-03-2009, 05:53 PM
It's as flat as us speaking on P&PG's :biggrin:True. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy our little discussions here, but it's not the same as roleplaying. I quess what I'm saying is that when it comes to the roleplaying experience, I'm used to the human interaction and just miss it to much when it isn't there. It's not that critical when I'm just traiding one liners with my fellow smartasses on PP&G.:biggrin:

Soft Serve
08-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Soft Serve rolls some dice

I attack life as you know it.

Genesplicer
08-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Life as we know it strikes back using the Amber Diceless System. The GM compairs your respective atributes, looks up from the character sheets at Soft Serve, and says: "Boy! Are you in trouble!"

Arkhemedes
08-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Hmm...with a roll of 4 looks like you missed life Softy. :biggrin:

Sascha
08-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Maxwell Smart (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0010915/): Missed it by that much.
Get Smart

traesin
08-04-2009, 02:42 AM

ouch....

Doom Crow
08-04-2009, 09:54 AM

How do you know that's what she said to him?!?! :eek:

Oldgamer
08-04-2009, 10:20 AM
I think Genesplicer is used to playing PbP's that are real-time ... mine are whenever you get on and write. It's more of storytelling with rolling dice than actual 'friends getting together'. It's more like writing a book just with mechanics thrown in. One of the reasons I sometimes prefer PbP to F2F is it cuts out the BS factor. It seems everytime I get into a group or get a group together, everyone wants to spend 75% of the time BSing about their real lives and that's not why I'm there. I'm there to play this game, I'm not there to hear what movies you watched all week long in between ... that's for talking outside of the game. The last group I was in consisted of a family and myself. Mother, father, son, uncle, and me ... I would show up at 9 am and only had to pull out necessary paperwork and dice to get rolling. She was just getting out of the shower and had to 'beautify' herself for 30 more minutes, dad was just rolling out of bed to let me in and he had to take the dogs out and get his stuff together and pull out the table, blah blah ...and then he had to wake his son up. This kid had "Slacker" written all over him, it took him 30 minutes just to sit up in bed and turn around to put his feet on the floor. Then uncle is an hour late ... and once we start playing, or I should say when everyone is ready ... then we spend 6 out of the 8 hours period of gaming for bulls**t. That's what PbP cuts out, everyone comes to the game prepared, makes there post, and leaves ... no BS.

Genesplicer
08-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I think Genesplicer is used to playing PbP's that are real-time ...No, Genesplicer is not used to PBP's at all. What I've tried of them has not inspired me to want to get used to them. It's just a personal preferance.:)
mine are whenever you get on and write. It's more of storytelling with rolling dice than actual 'friends getting together'. It's more like writing a book just with mechanics thrown in. One of the reasons I sometimes prefer PbP to F2F is it cuts out the BS factor. It seems everytime I get into a group or get a group together, everyone wants to spend 75% of the time BSing about their real lives and that's not why I'm there. I'm there to play this game, I'm not there to hear what movies you watched all week long in between ... that's for talking outside of the game. The last group I was in consisted of a family and myself. Mother, father, son, uncle, and me ... I would show up at 9 am and only had to pull out necessary paperwork and dice to get rolling. She was just getting out of the shower and had to 'beautify' herself for 30 more minutes, dad was just rolling out of bed to let me in and he had to take the dogs out and get his stuff together and pull out the table, blah blah ...and then he had to wake his son up. This kid had "Slacker" written all over him, it took him 30 minutes just to sit up in bed and turn around to put his feet on the floor. Then uncle is an hour late ... and once we start playing, or I should say when everyone is ready ... then we spend 6 out of the 8 hours period of gaming for bulls**t. That's what PbP cuts out, everyone comes to the game prepared, makes there post, and leaves ... no BS.Ouch! No, that's definetly not what I had in mind when I talked about player interaction. I prefer groups that actualy game, and I am blessed with having such.

Arkhemedes
08-04-2009, 02:47 PM
I would have to say that I fully understand both sides of the coin on this one. They both have their pros and cons. That's why I do both.

Kaewin
08-04-2009, 03:08 PM
My group is full of BSers some nights are worse than other and once an a while The perfect night.

Just wish there were more of those.:confused:

Oldgamer
08-04-2009, 04:01 PM
I've never PbP real-time, so I don't know how that goes, all I know is the story side of it. There is always more story involved in PbP than F2F, people are more focused because that is why they're there. F2F interaction has a lot of interruption, and it's much easier to for busy people to play more often because its not based on a set time when PbP. That's the only thing I have a problem with f2f, time frame and interruption ... otherwise I much prefer a pencil and paper game with real dice and real people :)

Soft Serve
08-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Runs like hell from life as you know it.

Oldgamer
08-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Runs like hell from life as you know it.

Sorry, DC is 1000, life as you know it found you.

Genesplicer
08-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Genesplicer rolls some dice1Ok, I give up. How do you use the dice roller function in the post.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Hey, it did work!

But how'd I do that?

Ishcumbeebeeda
08-05-2009, 12:37 AM
It does get out of control, though. My GF teaches kindergarten in a low-income neighborhood, and she can say that while she has three African-American students, eight of her students are Black. The other five are from Somalia and Kenya, so "African-American" doesn't apply.

I've always disliked the term "African American," mostly because most of the people who want it to be applied to them have never been to Africa, and definitely don't have citizenship in any African country. The only people who, in my humble (and loudly shouted on one or two occasions) opinion it should only be those of African birth (or maybe extend as far as having parents of African birth) and that later emigrated to America, and became American that should be called "African American." Calling most (I'm gonna go with) Black people "African American" is like calling me "French-Irish-German-Native American." (and I may have nearly flunked high school geography, but aren't Kenya and Somalia in Africa? Therefore aren't they, at least by my logic, the ones who the term applies to more?)

Then again, I'm from Vermont. We've got two classifications here, Vermonter and flatlander. (Even if you're from the Rockies you're still a flatlander damn it! :lol:)

Genesplicer
08-05-2009, 12:49 AM
I'm from Texas, and we have two clasifications here to. You're either a Texan, or you're not.

traesin
08-05-2009, 02:15 AM
I'm from a small town in the middle of a corn field. I was lucky enough to have an air force base in town. In some of the neighboring towns you were either a townie or target practice.

Sascha
08-05-2009, 02:26 AM
Identity politics gets rather messy when you try to think on a linguistic level alone ;) (It's rather messy, regardless~ :P)

Funny story 'bout political and geographical fluency, though: 'bout two years ago, when I was still in California, I walked to and from school, passing through a quiet residential area to avoid the busy main street. There was a group of kids - sixth-grade, maybe seventh - out in the driveway of one of the houses. They were trying to work out the difference between 'Asian' and 'Korean;' since Korean is Asian, they wondered, why is it that Asian isn't Korean?

traesin
08-05-2009, 02:32 AM
with the Air base right there, i was introduced to everyone and everything. We had the same amount of churches as bars. The only thing that separated out the kids was, whether they were "6 months" or "semi-perm".

tesral
08-05-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm from a small town in the middle of a corn field. I was lucky enough to have an air force base in town. In some of the neighboring towns you were either a townie or target practice.

I grew up in a rough neighborhood. My first job was tail gunner on an ice cream truck.

Doom Crow
08-05-2009, 08:59 AM
I don't want to remember my first job.. :smow:

Q-man
08-05-2009, 12:33 PM
I was a master-baiter for my first job. Worked at Canabait (http://www.canabait.com/) backing worms in little cans.

tesral
08-05-2009, 01:54 PM
At least you didn't work in the hygiene department.

Oldgamer
08-05-2009, 02:41 PM
I don't like the term "African-American" either ... it's like Genesplicer says about Texas ... but apply it to America. You're either American or you're not, your racial make-up doesn't change where you were born. Charlize Theron is African ... she was born and raised in South Africa. The same logic as "African-American" should apply to her as well. If we need to get into racial names, the one for black people from Africa is one not typically allowed on most politically correct forums, and I'm not talking about what you hear in rap songs either, but it still might seem offensive.

I'm like traesin in my growing up though, I was born in a cornfield type town to a family of dairy farmers in (very)rural Ohio. I don't know what the population was when I was born there, but I have been told that it has grown a lot and it still has only 12,000 people. Then I moved to the ghetto and bounced from one to the other for a while, relishing the weekends when I could go back to the country where my grandparents were.

tesral
08-05-2009, 02:43 PM
I am not a hyphenated American.

Genesplicer
08-05-2009, 02:47 PM
My first job was as a streat sweeper at a theme park. It's not as bad as it sounds. I got to walk around a theme park all day and talk to people. The managment's logic was, that as we were costantly patroling the streets, we would be the people most interacting with the guests, and guest service was our prime directive. I could spend an hour just standing around on the street making small talk with a guest, and I was counting as doing my job. And if it couldn't be swept up in a pan and broom, then I got to call someone else to deal with it.

Sascha
08-05-2009, 05:06 PM
I don't like the term "African-American" either ... it's like Genesplicer says about Texas ... but apply it to America. You're either American or you're not, your racial make-up doesn't change where you were born. Charlize Theron is African ... she was born and raised in South Africa. The same logic as "African-American" should apply to her as well. If we need to get into racial names, the one for black people from Africa is one not typically allowed on most politically correct forums, and I'm not talking about what you hear in rap songs either, but it still might seem offensive.
As it's most commonly used, 'African-American' would not apply to Charlize Theron, being that she's not racially African (by the common definition); politically, it's a spot-on descriptor, but the "hyphen-American" pattern isn't generally used as such.

Except where it is, and uses the same basic terms, being that we use geographical and political designations for ethnic and racial descriptors, and vice versa. Like I said, identity politics is rather messy :P

Navigating it isn't as simple as shoring up definitions and language, though; that's actually part of the problem - where the authority categorizes people without regard to those groups. (There are a lot of European origins that, at one point, weren't considered white by Americans, including Irish, Italian, German and Spanish. It's been argued that the inclusion of all European backgrounds came out of the need to differentiate slaves from slaveowners - in other words, African or European. How interesting.)

The rise in the number of racial and ethnic descriptors (not to mention sexuality and gender identity) comes, in part, from the systemic labeling and categorizing based on those identifications. Certain terms' failure to accurately reflect one's self-image leads to a push to get better language into the system; naturally, getting the whole of any one group to agree on what language is better leads to lots of debate and argument (as we're seeing in our culture, as well as here in the thread ;)). Likewise, in response to all the divisive labeling, folks push back the other way, sometimes (and I'm certainly not saying anyone here is doing this) without understanding the impetus for such categories.

Final thoughts here. The idea that we can dispense with all the hyphens and just be Americans is ... problematic. I mean, we're quite divisive over voluntary associations (political party and, arguably, religious views; sports teams; editions of DnD). The hullabaloo over Sotomayor's confirmation hearings sorta points us in the direction of labels still mattering, despite the literal language saying otherwise.

As an anthropology major, this experience of watching a culture with such extensive documentation (radio, television, internet) is quite exciting. Even though I don't have much stake in the immediate outcome (I'd like to see it where being human is enough, and the rest is incidental, but that's far into wishful thinking land :P).

(And gah, that took a lot longer to express - and far more words - than I'd have liked, /sigh. Tune in next week for your regularly scheduled smartass pop culture reference.)

tesral
08-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I have a simple solution. When ever I am asked about race I reply "Human" and that is the only answer they get.

Soft Serve
08-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I grew up in a rough neighborhood. My first job was tail gunner on an ice cream truck.

ROFFL

I have a simple solution. When ever I am asked about race I reply "Human" and that is the only answer they get.

...what happened to "Phoenix"?

Genesplicer
08-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I have a simple solution. When ever I am asked about race I reply "Human" and that is the only answer they get.I thought you were a phoenix.

traesin
08-06-2009, 04:32 AM
my first job was waitressing. I'll never do that again.

Oldgamer
08-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Yes I was using Charleston Coon's The Races of Europe as he described Africans as only two races, Negroid and Capoid ... but I understand that the term race can mean separation in many ways. But physical features would be the highest on my list because they are actually physically different (usually due to their tie to their climate or tie to an even older civilization, correct me if I'm wrong *I know you will* :biggrin:) and not just separated by politics/views. I haven't read nearly as much on the subject as a paying student of anthropology, only recently in the past 6 months or so, taken a keen interest in racial makeup. But when I was 6, when all the other neighborhood boys wanted to be policemen or firemen, I wanted to be an archaeologist with a minor in anthropology (I didn't know how the college Major/Minor thing worked at that age, I only heard adults say it like that:)). I never achieved the goal, the military and then life afterward kept me from college, but it still holds an interest for me. I wish we lived closer Sascha, I would love to sit around for drinks or coffee and just talk and I could pick your brain :).

Kaewin
08-06-2009, 10:34 AM
I am not a hyphenated American, I am from Olympus Mons you calls us Martians.

My first job was a dishwasher at a chinese restaurant. After the sotre closed we would all eat and then clean up. Nice bit there but boss was cheap and mean. Went to a mexican restaurant after that. The was decades ago. I would never go back. Especially since i am now disabled.

Katbutt
08-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi peeps, how's summer.

Oldgamer
08-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Humid!

My first job was as a paperboy, it's what funded my D&D, GI Joe, & Transformer purchases :biggrin: I did it the old way with a double bag (front and back) full of papers and I walked the route and put the paper in or on people's doors at 3am before school every day. Then once a month, I would have to go "collecting" door to door to pick up people's subscription money and turn it into my manager, who in turn would give me a percentage.

Sascha
08-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Yes I was using Charleston Coon's The Races of Europe as he described Africans as only two races, Negroid and Capoid ... but I understand that the term race can mean separation in many ways. But physical features would be the highest on my list because they are actually physically different (usually due to their tie to their climate or tie to an even older civilization, correct me if I'm wrong *I know you will* :biggrin:) and not just separated by politics/views. I haven't read nearly as much on the subject as a paying student of anthropology, only recently in the past 6 months or so, taken a keen interest in racial makeup. But when I was 6, when all the other neighborhood boys wanted to be policemen or firemen, I wanted to be an archaeologist with a minor in anthropology (I didn't know how the college Major/Minor thing worked at that age, I only heard adults say it like that:)). I never achieved the goal, the military and then life afterward kept me from college, but it still holds an interest for me. I wish we lived closer Sascha, I would love to sit around for drinks or coffee and just talk and I could pick your brain :).
Old text, that. Actually, an update to an even older text. The sociopolitical climate has, er, changed since then, heh, to say the least.

Specifics: Yes, the Khoisan peoples are morphologically different from the rest of the indigenous Africans. Yes, such variation is largely due to environmental factors. The significance of that variation, well, that's the question; it's not agreed on what it means to the discipline, outside of environmental contexts. As they say, context is king.

Genesplicer
08-06-2009, 07:34 PM
my first job was waitressing. I'll never do that again.That was my fourth job (waiter in my case), and I know what you mean.

tesral
08-06-2009, 09:20 PM
...what happened to "Phoenix"?

I'm hiding from the Feds.

Sascha
08-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Sam Sleaze (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0858686/): That eight-foot bird is still on the lam. You know, Sid, people would pay money to see that bird.
Sid Sleaze (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0280886/): Nah, I wouldn't pay to see no bird.
Sam Sleaze (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0858686/): No, no, no. People would pay us to see that bird! Us, us, us!
Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird!

Genesplicer
08-06-2009, 10:34 PM
I remeber that movie!!!

...vaguely.

traesin
08-07-2009, 02:21 AM
Humid!

My first job was as a paperboy, it's what funded my D&D, GI Joe, & Transformer purchases :biggrin: I did it the old way with a double bag (front and back) full of papers and I walked the route and put the paper in or on people's doors at 3am before school every day. Then once a month, I would have to go "collecting" door to door to pick up people's subscription money and turn it into my manager, who in turn would give me a percentage.

Did that for four years with my ex-husband. We had 5 routes to do everyday.

Genesplicer
08-07-2009, 02:47 AM
Paperboy is one of those that I missed out.

Doom Crow
08-07-2009, 10:24 AM

....I'm a Fed.
:spy:

tesral
08-07-2009, 12:10 PM
....I'm a Fed.
:spy:

Pity, now I have to kill and eat you. You would prefer that order I assume.

Sascha
08-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Spike (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0551346/): Like I'd bite you anyway.
Xander (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0107183/): Oh, you would.
Spike (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0551346/): Not bloody likely.
Xander (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0107183/): I happen to be very biteable, pal. I'm moist, and delicious.
Spike (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0551346/): All right, yeah, fine. You're a nummy treat.
Xander (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0107183/): And don't you forget it.
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, 4.10, "Hush"

Soft Serve
08-07-2009, 12:34 PM

Good thing you put that on the internet. I'm pretty sure the police just kinda google "wanted criminals on myspace" and catch them that way.

Sam Sleaze (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0858686/): That eight-foot bird is still on the lam. You know, Sid, people would pay money to see that bird.
Sid Sleaze (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0280886/): Nah, I wouldn't pay to see no bird.
Sam Sleaze (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0858686/): No, no, no. People would pay us to see that bird! Us, us, us!
Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird!

LOST.
ALL.
RESPECT.
PERIOD.

Doom Crow
08-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Pity, now I have to kill and eat you. You would prefer that order I assume.

I prefer the hard way.