PDA

View Full Version : New Classes on the D&D Insider

Grimwell
02-05-2009, 10:39 AM
I've seen word that there are new classes up on the D&D insider website. If you happen to be able to see them, what's your thoughts? :O)

Aidan
02-05-2009, 11:55 AM
The two most recent previews I've seen are the Shaman and the sorceror.

The Shaman is a primal leader and uses a companion spirit in his evocations. The Healing Spirit power (the Shaman's version of Healing word or Inspiring Word) is a little different mechanically. An ally can spend a healing surge, and a different ally adjacent to the shaman's spirit gains back d6 hp. The spirit is used in other evocations as well, and there are two kinds of spirit, one that does some defendery stuff (bear spirit) and one that does some strikery stuff (panther spirit). All in all it looks interesting. Primary stat is Wisdom, with either Con or Int as secondaries (con for bear, int for panther).

The Sorceror is an arcane striker, but unlike the warlock who makes a pact with an external entity, the sorceror's power source is in his or her blood. Implements are staff or dagger. There are two builds the dragon magic and wild magic. Primary stat is Charisma with strength (for dragon magic) and Dex (for wild magic) as secondary

You might be a proud dragonborn scion of ancient Arkhosia, calling on the draconic power of your heritage, or perhaps you were bathed in dragon blood as an infant to fill you with that power. You might have been born in a place where planar forces converged in strange eddies, infusing you with chaos, or perhaps you survived implantation of a slaad embryo, which left the taint of chaos upon you. Magic pulses through your veins, calling on you to give it expression. As it grows ever stronger, will it consume you or transform you into magic incarnate?

They're both intersting and have their own distinct flavor, but the one I'm most interested in playing is a dragonborn dragon sorceror.

The Wild Magic sorceror is pretty interesting too, as there's some randomness in effects, depending on if your attack rools. For example, on a natural 20 you can slide the target, and on a natural 1, you must push all creatures within 5 squares of you 1 square. Different effects also happen on even and odd rolls, and one of their lelvel 1 dailies (Chromatic Orb) does a random type of damage.

Valdar
02-05-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't normally dabble too much in the player's stuff, since it's all I can do to keep up with DM-type stuff (I got Open Grave, and failed to use a single bit of it in my last fight, which was all Undead. Sigh.) But I can tell you what I have experienced:

--Looks like we're going to see previews of every class before it's published. With seven classes previewed, that leaves one to go before PHB2 comes out in March (suspicion is that it's the "Avenger", a Divine Striker).

--I actually have a Bard playing in my current campaign- I reviewed that class in a different thread.

--Sorcerer: Dragon Sorcerer seems a little too closely aligned to the Dragonborn's stat bonuses- I'd expect one to line up and not the other (similar to steering Eladrin toward Swordmage, but not making it a no-brainer). Apart from that, I do like the variety you see in spells for the various arcane-sourced classes- the Sorcerer excels at this, throwing around lots of different damage types for the various powers.

--Warden: The DMG says that parties with more than 4 people should be defender-heavy, so I'm disappointed that PHB2 will only have one, and the class included in next year's campaign setting (Eberron's Artificer) will be a Leader instead. Even though D&D has established that metal is bad for naturey-classes, having yet another light-armored defender is a little weird. The mark is fun though- two choices if you get your mark violated: either make a Fighter-style melee attack that makes the target grant, or move the target 1 square after the attack. The polymorph dailies are also cool- bonuses and a unique encounter power.

--Barbarian: This was a playtest, and they took it down, so I can't really speak to it. Should have been a Defender and not a Striker, since we have too many Strikers already, as mentioned above.

--Invoker: I would discourage anyone from playing this. You have the Cleric's armor and powers against Undead, the Wizard's hit points, less controlling ability than the Wizard, and I can't find any healing ability. Seems like a poor mix of the two classes, and you will disappoint your allies by not picking either Cleric or Wizard instead.

--Druid: Also a Controller, but the powers look a lot more useful than Invoker. I would have liked to see Druid be a Leader like Bard- there's a little healing here, but not much- Druid was originally a Cleric sub-class after all! (Though two Fighter sub-classes are now Strikers...)

--Shaman: Like Aidan, I'm glad to see that they're coming up with variations on the Leader's healing power- it was getting pretty samesy for all the Leaders. I hope to see more variation in future Leader classes' healing ability.

Grimwell
02-06-2009, 10:33 AM
--Barbarian: This was a playtest, and they took it down, so I can't really speak to it. Should have been a Defender and not a Striker, since we have too many Strikers already, as mentioned above.

Wait, so if I were to sub to the Insider today I wouldn't be able to view the Barbarian data? I didn't know they were putting up beta info too. Interesting.

Valdar
02-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Wait, so if I were to sub to the Insider today I wouldn't be able to view the Barbarian data? I didn't know they were putting up beta info too. Interesting.

Edit:
I went back and looked, and did manage to find them all- Bard, Barbarian, and Artificer are all still up there- they're just not easy to find (Bard is in an article called "Ampersand: Welcome to the Inside", for instance).

They are presented in various levels of completeness- Barbarian and Artificer go up to 30, but Bard is just one build that goes up to 10...

Grimwell
02-08-2009, 03:27 AM
Cool. I was going to be surprised if they just yanked them away.