PDA

View Full Version : Office manager dies trying to escape from cardboard box.

kirksmithicus
02-02-2009, 07:09 PM
In life there are certain words, phrases or expressions that simply and perhaps for no good reason (or perhaps for good reason), goad the reptilian portion of your brain toward violence. Fortunately we have all managed to keep these emotions in check and have not yet attempted to subdue our fellow man with club, bare hands or fancy wrestling move. Though we might enjoy a screening of the trailer in the theater of our minds eye. :D

Now they may be RPG related or they may not but we all have them. So post them up that way I'll know not to use them when you are around. I'll start

"Paradigm shift" - Changing your mind does not constitute one.

"Think outside the box" - Only said by people who don't know how to think creatively. By the way, why am I in a box? What kind of box is it? How big is the box? Is there a light source or do I have NVG's? Does the box have a lid?

"Well that's the way I've done it for xx years" - Only said by people who have been doing it wrong for xx years.

"Cheese and Rice" - Really? a truly disgusting combination though.

"Flipping", "Fricking" or any variation of that particular word - just step up and use cheese and rice's middle name if you are that mad about something.

"I don't want to have to learn a new system" - just be honest, you don't want to play a different game because; 1. you don't know the rules backward and forward and can't exploit the new system for your maximum benefit. 2. You're cheap. 3. You are lazy as well.

"You know what I'm saying?" - generally said by someone who Isn't saying anything, so no, I don't know what you're saying.

fmitchell
02-02-2009, 08:47 PM
"I don't see the point." -- Initially it isn't so bad. After hearing/reading it after I've painstakingly described how and why something has a point, I start grinding teeth.

Not a particular phrase, but anytime someone offhandedly twists around what I say, I get cranky. E.g. on another board, I cited Carol Tavris's The Mismeasure of Woman, which describes numerous instances of bad science applied to male/female differences. The chauvanist we were arguing said something like, "Yes, Tavris's bad science is a problem."

mrken
02-02-2009, 10:33 PM
:laugh:

nijineko
02-02-2009, 10:38 PM
i do not think i have any "phrases" that meet that criteria... however, certain mindsets will have that effect on me.

GoddessGood
02-03-2009, 09:13 AM
"Long pole in the tent." - I've heard this at way too many production meetings. For those who don't get it (like myself the first few times I heard it) the "long pole in the tent" is the person who is holding things up. It's a nicer way to refer to people who aren't present in the meeting because they knew that if they showed up they'd get chewed out. In practice, we also refer to these people as "bottlenecks" and "snowball machines." That last one ... I have trouble not laughing occasionally.

Valdar
02-03-2009, 01:36 PM
"In any way, shape, or form". If you mean "in any way", just say that, stop talking, and stop keeping this tired cliche alive.

tesral
02-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Zero Tolerance: Means zero intelligence. A lame excuse for over reaction without thought or responsibility for one's over reactions. Anyone claiming or demanding Zero Tolerance should be taken out and shot without further adieu. However not being a promoter of zero tolerance I will settle for beating them sensible.

Politically Correct: Political Correctness: a system of thinking where it's OK to offend someone right in front of you by enforcing a made-up rule to stop a theoretical offense to an unknown person later when you aren't even going to be there. -- Randy Cassingham (http://www.thisistrue.com/blog-define_political_correctness.html). I consider Randy's definition to be as good a working definition as I have seen.

nijineko
02-03-2009, 05:08 PM
very nice definition of pc there... i'll have to try to remember that one. =D

Mead
02-07-2009, 05:26 PM
From the Kitchen: I ain't lyin'! (used to denote agreement with a previously uttered sentiment spoken by another)

You're not talking, so where the hell did that come from?

Tigerfire
02-07-2009, 10:16 PM
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1145484

Here is the discussion over at Wizards. It seems Ema pushed the line a little too far.

Oops wrong thread. Too many windows open. :doh:

Grimwell
02-08-2009, 03:37 AM
Aye, and it looks like folks on the WotC boards fall into predictable camps. Those that see this as a normal move to protect an IP, and those who just want to be angry. I'm glad we aren't as stabby here.

tesral
02-08-2009, 04:03 AM
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must--" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers. -- R. Heinlein

Tigerfire
02-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Oops wrong thread: Said by people that have too many windows open and don't watch where they are puting their posts. See above.:o

Riftwalker
02-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Perhaps only tangentially related, the Devil's Dictionary (by Ambrose Bierce) is a good source of cynical definitions. Here's a taste:

HAPPINESS, n. An agreeable sensation arising from contemplating the misery of another.
GRAVE, n. A place in which the dead are laid to await the coming of the medical student.

http://www.thedevilsdictionary.com/

tesral
02-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Paradigm Shift: Used far too frequently by executive airheads that have not a clue as to what it means. Their meaning is usually one of cutting your job to pay them more.

Woops, someone got this one already.

kitsune1842
02-08-2009, 09:38 PM
In My Humble Oppinion. Always followed by an oppinion that is never humble and should rarly ever be shared.

Mindbomb
02-08-2009, 09:52 PM
I think C.S.Lewis may have summed this subject up nicely when he said..." Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say 'infinitely' when you mean 'very'; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/37801.html) "
C. S. Lewis

kirksmithicus
02-08-2009, 11:55 PM
In My Humble Oppinion. Always followed by an oppinion that is never humble and should rarly ever be shared.

LOL

One of my favorite saying when I was in the military was "I don't mean to complain, but..." which really meant, I'm going to complain non-stop for the next 10-20 minutes. :D