PDA

View Full Version : Chat Room Dice Roller

Farcaster
02-02-2009, 02:23 AM
The chat room has been upgraded to include a dice roller that is very much like the current one we have for the Play-by-Post games. To use it, you simply need to type "/roll {expression}" in the chat box. Like the forum dice roller, it uses standard dice notation. You can roll multiple sets of dice at the same time by separating each with a semi-colon (;)

Examples:

/roll 1d10
/roll 1d20+7;2d6+2
/roll 1d6+1d8+3
/roll 20d6

You can have up to five sets in a single roll command. If you roll more than one die in an expression, such as 20d6, and it is less than 21 dice, individual rolls will be shown.

I know some of you have wanted this for a while. Now we finally have it! Let me know if you have any questions or problems with it.

Enjoy!

nijineko
02-02-2009, 04:01 AM
in-chat dice roller! yea!

Grimwell
02-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Great addition! Thanks!

Etarnon
02-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Heck yeah. This smokes.

GoddessGood
02-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Hooray! I lurves it :) Is there perhaps a way to sort the results in ascending/descending order? For example, if I roll 5d10 and get a (4, 2, 8, 5, 10) can I make it display the result as (2, 4, 5, 8, 10) instead?

Farcaster
02-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Is there perhaps a way to sort the results in ascending/descending order?

Aye, I believe I can do that for ya.

GoddessGood
02-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Aye, I believe I can do that for ya.

cplmac
02-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Was just on the chat and this seems to be working fine. This will allow for the ability to use the chat feature to game. I was thinking of doing just that if the weather didn't cooperate for a planned game session. Now instead of having each person roll their dice at home and post the results, we can just use the one provided. Wasn't even aware that you were planning on adding this function. Thanks.

Dark
02-02-2009, 09:54 PM
It's brilliant ideas like this that make me proud to be a member of this forum. :grouphug:

spotlight
02-03-2009, 03:44 PM
I love the chat when I can get in. These library comps just won't except them anymore. It will load up to 98% and then just stop. I have waited as much as five minutes for it to continue, it just won't go. (sigh) still saving my pennies for a new comp.

Farcaster
02-03-2009, 03:46 PM
These library comps just won't except them anymore. It will load up to 98% and then just stop. I have waited as much as five minutes for it to continue, it just won't go.

Try the Ajax view and see if you have more luck:

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/chat/ajax/

nijineko
02-03-2009, 05:06 PM
very nice to have alternate methods to connect!

Dkomp
03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
2 Questions about the roller -
1) what is the coding for adding other txt to the same line as the roll command ie. Melee /roll1d100;1d10 to have the output Read Melee int he same line as the die output - I have tried several formats but am for the most part unfamiliar with the chat and the coding/typing possibilities.

2)Is there a way to macro comon Die roll functions where they can be choosen persay from a list up to 4 or more and placed in a window or function of the chat screen so that when the call for that roll is made, a point and click of the choosen die or die & text combo can be made ie (options as Melee /roll 1d100;1d10 , Ranged /roll 1d100;1d10, Infusion /roll 1d100;1d10 - or other comon comands for other games as used.
Either a drop list to choose from or to shorten the endless possibilities and leave less limits on the game formats, up to whatever number of units where the player and the GM simply type in their comon strings and it remains until they log out of the room.

Farcaster
03-17-2009, 11:41 AM
2 Questions about the roller -
1) what is the coding for adding other txt to the same line as the roll command ie. Melee /roll1d100;1d10 to have the output Read Melee int he same line as the die output

The chat dice roller does not do inline descriptions for rolls.

2)Is there a way to macro comon Die roll functions where they can be choosen persay from a list up to 4 or more and placed in a window or function of the chat screen so that when the call for that roll is made, a point and click of the choosen die or die & text combo can be made ie (options as Melee /roll 1d100;1d10 , Ranged /roll 1d100;1d10, Infusion /roll 1d100;1d10 - or other comon comands for other games as used.

At this point, your best option would be to use a macro recording program on your own PC or copy and paste common dice rolls for your character from notepad or such. I am not familiar enough with Flash to do the edits you otherwise suggest, I fear.

cplmac
03-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Besides, I thought that the DM/GM would be telling the player what they are rolling for. This info would show on the screen for everyone to see, unless the DM/GM sent it to just a particular player via PM in the chat.

Dkomp
03-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Besides, I thought that the DM/GM would be telling the player what they are rolling for. This info would show on the screen for everyone to see, unless the DM/GM sent it to just a particular player via PM in the chat.

Play testing a system where the overall di rolling is very simplified. The combat to hit system uses an extra di for a possible extra effect but varies among Infusion (magic) Melee and ranged hence the question of tagged Di rolls and quick click sets -

Yes the GM would be instructing as usual, but to streamline as a player would use a catergory of combat ie - ranged - Range /roll 1d100;1d10 as from the example above it will allow the GM to immediatly know what type of attack was used and the possible effect result. Cuts down on some of the redundant chatter. But this is a moot point as it is really only based on a test realms system.

--- ty for the response ill look into a setup for the frequent Di roller for play ease.