PDA

View Full Version : Favorite character class and build

kirksmithicus
02-01-2009, 12:13 AM
For those of you who have played 4e, what is your favorite character class and build that you have played and why?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Hmmm...

Gotta be the spellcasters. I like the spell availability they were given in 4th edition.

Yeah, boring, i know.

Grimwell
02-01-2009, 12:18 PM
The only character I have made so far is a Warlord. So while I love it, I'm also not going to say it's really my favorite yet, I have yet to try others.

I do get a kick out of it though. It works well as a leader class and I really enjoy enabling the rest of the party to do more as well. I enjoy that cooperative nature.

MortonStromgal
02-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Well, I have not played one but the Paladin is the first Paladin in the history of D&D that I would be willing to play. The Wizard I like better to but thats more of having spells that are not per day.

Rochin
02-01-2009, 10:58 PM
In 4e I have tried my hand at a theif, warrior, and warlock. Not sure which I like best, only played each 3 sessions worth or less. Each class fills a niche depending on how you want to play it. I like the "dark" aspect of the Warlock class, where they get their powers from elder forgotten things, fey or unknown. Makes it cool to work for some possible terrible thing. Also I tend towards dark semi anti hero types. So that works well with me.

Valdar
02-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Here are my impressions from what I've seen in my game:

Bard: One player switched from Cleric to Bard, and is having a blast with it- the added powers more than make up for the lesser healing ability (partially mitigated by taking both Cleric and Warlord multiclass feats). I can't wait to see the full class- even the preview is more interesting than Cleric or Warlord.

Cleric: Powerful healer (of course), but now a little boring. Possibly because the player was trying to do a hybrid melee/ranged Cleric, and wasn't particularly effective at either.

Fighter: The only class I was a PC for. An area attack is a must for multi-marking (either play Dragonborn or multi/Dilettante Wizard and get Thunderwave- if I did it again I'd do both)- major drawback was I played in two skill challenges and barely got to pick up a die- the Fighter skill spread is pathetic. And the next time I see difficult terrain in every fight, I'll need a supply of rubber bands to shoot at the DM, because being unable to shift makes for a boring fight.

Paladin: The Paladin marks are fun, but Enfeebling Strike pushes past my paperwork threshold- too much to keep track of for too little effect.

Ranger: Seems like a powerful class, but our Ranger can't seem to roll above a 10 very often, so I haven't really seen this one in action (The Twin Strike ability is consistently one hit, one miss, it seems). Our Ranger is archery-focused- I don't really see what you'd get from a 2-weapon Ranger that a Rogue wouldn't do better...

Rogue: This one rocks. Huge damage output, plenty of tactical opportunities, and you get to participate in more than your fair share of skill challenges.

Swordmage: Fun class. The armor restriction is a little weird, but it works with the other bonuses. The mark is also unique and fun, and sets you up for some good tactical situations (like people provoking OAs on purpose to get the Swordmage ported over). Skill spread is much preferable to Fighter or Paladin, particularly with the Int focus.

Warlock: I don't see this one. You're supposed to be a Striker, but your damage output isn't all that, and your to-hit bonuses seem a little anemic besides. The status ailments that you get don't really make up for the lower damage output. Our Warlock recently traded off for Swordmage and is loving it.

Warlord: We had one play for a few levels- seems similar to Bard, with more of a focus on moving allies. I think I'd prefer Bard as more versatile.

Wizard: Seems a bit overpowered, but that's possibly a testament to the skill of the player in question. You own the battle for an even-level fight, since your low defenses and hit points don't come up as much- with a Wizard in the party, you need to throw Level +1 at least in the party to make the Wizard more dependent on the defenders, and give the foes more staying power that they don't just get wasted right away.

Conclusion: I'll have to see the other Controllers in action, but apart from that, I think we're seeing power creep already- Bard is the best Leader and Swordmage is the best Defender, but that might just be that I'm focusing on their new and interesting abilities and not taking into account the strengths of Fighter and Cleric-

Webhead
02-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Thus far, I have only played a Rogue, but I enjoyed the class. Contrary to how I tended to approach the Rogue in 3.X, this character went the "melee scrapper" route and has shown to be quite good at it. In particular, I like the Rogue abilities that inflict conditions on the enemies (prone/blinded/dazed/slowed/etc.) as it gives me greater satisfaction than simply rolling lots of damage (which the Rogue does too under the right circumstances) and encourages cooler attack descriptions ("I hamstring the ogre [Easy Target], raking him across his legs with my daggers, slowing him down and putting him off balance").

Oh yeah, and I actually took daggers as a primary weapon because there was actual incentive to do so (in contrast to my 3.X Rogues who always fought with a short sword because...well...it was a dagger that did 1d6 damage instead...). I like my daggers...

General Thain
02-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Fighter has always been my favorite. I've played lots of different types - all non-human, save for one. My favorites are Dwarves, and Elves second I guess; and Air Genasi fighters are way cool! I love to come up with a personality, then a fighting style, then outfit them with the right weapons and feats ... and I'm always good to go. I'm new to the forum by the way, and this is my first post. Cheers! :)

Valdar
02-02-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm new to the forum by the way, and this is my first post. Cheers! :)

Welcome!

canadiansatan
02-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Can someone tell me how to do my old favorite from 3.5? A dash of fighter with a bunch of fireball flinging sorceror.

kirksmithicus
02-03-2009, 12:41 AM
It's great reading everyone's responses and welcome to the site Pvt. Thain :D.

I've only played a Warlord in one game session thus far. I learned that my character was too diversified. I tried to have four decent stats to provide attribute bonuses in as many areas as possible and create a good skill base. Made for a slow game, couldn't hit much and when I did it was only for minimal damage. The bonuses that I gave my teammates were low +1 or +2 and never made the difference between failure or success. What I did enjoy was granting my allies free attacks, since they did more damage than I did. So for the next game the DM has allowed me to revamp my character, hopefully the character will be a little more focused and helpful in combat. The problem is I want to try out several different characters, but that may take a good while yet.

Valdar
02-03-2009, 02:41 AM
Can someone tell me how to do my old favorite from 3.5? A dash of fighter with a bunch of fireball flinging sorceror.

I'd have to hear your definitions of "dash" and "bunch" first =)

You are talking about that thing I've heard of as a "gish". If anyone knows why this is called that, please say- I have no idea.

4e is much more role-driven- you need to decide if you're the front-liner or the blaster. That's a good thing, as it means your friends get to do what you're not currently doing- so they get to play too =)

Anyway, sounds like you want to be a defender- Either play a Fighter with the excellent choices above (Dragonborn for the multi-mark, add on the Wizard multiclass for extra Thunderwave)- or just go Swordmage and be done with it-

If you want to go the other way (primarily blaster), I don't see how you can- the Fighter multi seems pretty light- Maybe it lets you get access to some cool Fighter powers, but I haven't looked into that- You multi Fighter and you don't get Combat Challenge? At all? Wtf?

Grimwell
02-03-2009, 02:12 PM
I'd suggest a Dragonborn Fighter with some multiclass work as a Wizard. From the min/max side of things that may not work out so well, but from the "This is just fun!" perspective it might work.

Benefits:

You gain a breath weapon, they are cool.
Wizards have a number of 'burst' spells that can work in melee range (where fighters shine).

If you would rather do this at range you would want to start as a striker and then add in a Warlock to double up for style. Ranger/Warlock would work well in my mind.

What were you thinking initially?

Talmek
02-05-2009, 03:40 AM
I like the "dark" aspect of the Warlock class, where they get their powers from elder forgotten things, fey or unknown. Makes it cool to work for some possible terrible thing. Also I tend towards dark semi anti hero types. So that works well with me.

This wraps up my view exactly. I'm normally a cheerful, go-with-the-flow type but I rather enjoy playing the dark, brooding individual with a backstory that could have come out of a Stephen King novel. :laugh:

Maelstrom
02-05-2009, 08:36 PM
The only character I have made so far is a Warlord. So while I love it, I'm also not going to say it's really my favorite yet, I have yet to try others.

I do get a kick out of it though. It works well as a leader class and I really enjoy enabling the rest of the party to do more as well. I enjoy that cooperative nature.

Gotta agree here, the Warlord is a blast. Get a good beater ally and give them extra attacks every turn (with a bonus), give all your allies bonuses when they use action points, give them initiative bonuses, and heal them.

I love that feeling of really leading a battle and giving the right extra push at the point that will tip the battle.

I play a Tiefling, which may have not been the best min-max choice, but he has a cool mini, and has the feeling of a redeemed Demon Lord, pretty fun!

canadiansatan
02-05-2009, 09:04 PM
I'd have to hear your definitions of "dash" and "bunch" first =)

You are talking about that thing I've heard of as a "gish". If anyone knows why this is called that, please say- I have no idea.

4e is much more role-driven- you need to decide if you're the front-liner or the blaster. That's a good thing, as it means your friends get to do what you're not currently doing- so they get to play too =)

Anyway, sounds like you want to be a defender- Either play a Fighter with the excellent choices above (Dragonborn for the multi-mark, add on the Wizard multiclass for extra Thunderwave)- or just go Swordmage and be done with it-

If you want to go the other way (primarily blaster), I don't see how you can- the Fighter multi seems pretty light- Maybe it lets you get access to some cool Fighter powers, but I haven't looked into that- You multi Fighter and you don't get Combat Challenge? At all? Wtf?

It used to be easy, first level fighter, then on sorceror.

Grimwell
02-06-2009, 10:35 AM
I play a Tiefling, which may have not been the best min-max choice, but he has a cool mini, and has the feeling of a redeemed Demon Lord, pretty fun!
I made the same racial choice for my Warlord. I don't care about the min-max stuff for my characters and it felt like an interesting pairing.

Valdar
02-06-2009, 12:40 PM
It used to be easy, first level fighter, then on sorceror.

Yeah, level-dips to get all the benefits of a class are gone- when a tactic is so good that everyone does it, it takes away from just playing one class. At one point I think over half the party in my Greyhawk game dipped Fighter, including the Paladin.

On the flip side, arcane spell failure is gone too, so the gish doesn't have to deal with that annoyance.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

What mini are you using? Our Tiefling Swordmage and Rogue want to know =)

1958Fury
02-06-2009, 01:18 PM
So far I've only played an Eladrin Ranger (archer), and I enjoy it a lot. I've used WOTC's character builder to make several other characters just for fun, and I think the next one I'm going to play will either be a Elf Cleric (laser), or an Eladrin Warlock (feytouched).

Maelstrom
02-07-2009, 03:14 PM
What mini are you using? Our Tiefling Swordmage and Rogue want to know =)

Desert of Desolation 24

Tiefling Cleric.

Perfect fit for a warlord if you ask me! Would be good for both Swordmage and Rouge as well.

wbrandel
02-07-2009, 04:21 PM
So far my favorite 4e class is the wizard combat style (I know it is called something else but I can't think of it right now) with the paragon path of Battle mage. No surprise i've always liked wizards. What I like about it is the spell selection and the versatility of the rituals that are available to the class.

kitsune1842
02-08-2009, 10:25 PM

WEll you can do a Fighter with Multiclass into Wizard taking the feats up till you can replace your daily/encounter power (Which ever it is) for Fire ball.

You Could go Swordmage where it is a mix of fighter and elemental spells.

You could go Wizard with Multi into fighter for some mellee attacks.

Or, DNDI has up a preview on Sorcerer class that looks fun to play.\

Sor far I have loved playing a Kobold Rouge, Shifty is an awsome species ability, who talks in third person and has some mannerisms that come from watching the small dinos in the Jurasik park movies, and a human fighter with some of the abilitys from the Martial Power book, he is set up for the two weapon stuff and I play him like a Samurai because...well he is one dang it.

And for the question on why the multi class combos are called Gish, I think it is as a short way of saying Gestalt, but I could be wrong it has been known to happen.