PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Campaign Ever...ever.

Soft Serve
01-31-2009, 05:36 AM
So I'm sure everyone whos played D&D for at least a year or two has heard of Eberron, and some other settings. Well about a year ago I was playing an original campaign idea. That a world of my own creation that served as the material plane for the other planes of existance in the DM's Guide (called Sigilstar) could be left behind by the players for the Eberron campaign setting, and all of Eberron's other planes. All they had to do was travel through the Astral Plane until they found a giant yellow gate. This gate led to the Astral Plane of Eberron! Changing campaigns was as easy as the players floating themselves through that gate. Now imagine if there were more than one gate? A gate that lead to a Stormwreck style game where 90% of the land is covered in Ocean. A Sandstorm gate, where everything is a desert, a Frostburn gate, an Oriental gate, even a gate to the Ghostwalk setting!

Not only does this allow many adventures in many strange locations. It means that the classes and races from all these settings can finally clash! Right now I've got 30 playable classes and 50 playable races including Psionics. (Sigilstar was home to Psions in my original setting)

So far I'm short a Forgotten Realms setting, but I can deal without it. but I love the idea so far though. I found a Character Generator so I (as a DM) won't be so scared to kill off my characters anymore and can finally throw the tough monsters at them and let them fend for their damn selves instead of dreading the 2hr long process of character creation and giving them an easy way out all the time.

I know...I'm ashamed of myself...:(

Anyway whoever wants to help me with pdf formats of other settings I should try to get a hold of, or anyone interested in more just tell me.

So far this is my out-of-order and extremly empty freewebs site for it, but I'm going to get it cleaned up and running soon, so if anyone wants to play (wink wink hint hint I'm damn desperate for players :biggrin:) get back to me.

www.dogphish.webs.com (http://www.dogphish.webs.com)

The Character Generator I love (I didn't make this, but I wish I did cause there are some goofy pictures I'd get rid of...)

http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm

Severion
01-31-2009, 10:13 AM
I did something very similar with the 2e setting "Spell-jammer". I had my PCs first travel from Greyhawk to the Forgotten Realms, later i introduced Athas then Ravenloft. Eventually it went into Planescape. You should check it out sometime.

BTW i kinda like pathguy's goofy pictures.

Soft Serve
01-31-2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah they aren't bad pictures...except the one that was made with like Paint...And some of the ones that don't really make any sense. Like the one lady just chilling on a bed... Just more fitting pictures, like someone performing the Manyshot feat next to the Feats section, or a rogue unlocking a door by the Skills.

spotlight
01-31-2009, 11:43 AM
I would love to send you a copy of my old home brew. I had it all written out on a MSN Groups site, until the manager of the group got mad at MSN and removed the entire site. It just disappeared on night. It was designed with air-ships floating between the lands, which were themselves floating about.

I could send you a history of the 'world's' creation and such if you like. It was origininally built with AD&D as its background but the world's uniqueness was in the non-planet itself.

Lucian-Sunaka
01-31-2009, 12:57 PM
I know I am very much interested, its a very cool idea to have a ton of settings interconnected like that. Infact, my campaign world is ALOT like that, except each setting is a separate continent on a world covered in such vast oceans that to cross them by ship takes years. (yes character's traveling between settings age like that lol)
My exception is incorporating the hot and cold books into regions of the primary settings, but, this is really cool as well.

My first question, is this being done for a table-only game, or do you plan to run an online campaign in it?

Second question, are we free to steal the campaign world for our own use, and if we do, would you like to consider the possibility of making it a shared world, where the adventures we run build a mixed history, or would you rather we handle our stuff, you handle yours (I could really see this turning into a form of 'living' campaign, without the super strict regulations or the convention only operation) But of course that's up to you.

The setting I would want the most (and that I'd be prepared to do a bunch of work on to make it easier for you to put it up on the site) Would be Krynn, the DragonLance setting. It's got alot to contribute. (Infact, it might be fun to make the gate a form of... chaotic storm gate, where one time you enter you could be entering a different Era than another. Time spent inside would still be relative to wherever you came from of course.)

Anyways, regardless what the exact situation is, please get back to me when you can. And for the record, if your planning to host it online... COUNT ME IN! lol.

Note: be nice if somebody else would volunteer for Faerun....

nijineko
01-31-2009, 11:06 PM
WARNING: ANCIENT TRIVIA RAMBLE!!! read further at your own risk. ^^

interesting how many people remain unaware of the true expanse of the original setting of dungeons and dragons. greyhawk. it not only encompasses both the settings of blackmoor and greyhawk, not only the entire world of oerth, not only both moons of oerth, but also a vast star-spanning collection of civilizations.... and that's just the first prime material. greyhawk also encompasses around 5 other entire universes (or at least the alternate prime materials of said...), and possibly as many as 9, each of which have varying amounts of magical potential. oerth-greyhawk being about the second from the right on a left=low, right=high scale of magical power. and in case you were curious... the one of the farthest left? earth. yup, earth.

anyway, having rambled all that ancient trivia, i've often mixed and matched parts and pieces of various settings, even completely separate games and systems with a rather blatant disregard for compatibility. or rather, we'd make our own if it didn't already exist. we always had fun-it certainly sounds like you are set to have a grand time! have at it! =D

Mindbomb
02-01-2009, 12:10 AM
I believe this is what you're looking for, and if not should at least be vastly helpful in you quest. My Favorite D&D Campaign ever http://www.planewalker.com/

Soft Serve
02-01-2009, 12:29 AM
I'm running this online for sure. I play with people from Indiana, Pennsylvania, Arizona, and NorthCarolina so I kinda have to run it online.

I would have put Faerun, and Greyhawk if I would have come across the PDF formats, so far I'm only using what I can get for free until I can get my own. (I didn't pirate them, they're just sitting on a site for reading)

Go ahead and take this. The world is surely big enough. Hell there could be three groups all running in Sharn alone and we'd never run into eachother.

Lucian-Sunaka
02-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Glad to hear it. I may start running a campaign on Mondays, and I'll see if this is the right world for me. (I'll probably begin running in my own little world then branch out, considering I enjoy making places up as I go lol)

Also, I'll get to work on parcing out Krynn for you, format it the way it is on your site so you can see if you like the way it looks. Glad to be on board.

DungeonMaster
02-08-2009, 02:21 PM
HAZAR!!! We shall slay the foul beasts!!!

nijineko
02-09-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm running this online for sure. I play with people from Indiana, Pennsylvania, Arizona, and NorthCarolina so I kinda have to run it online.

my groups tend to be spread across boston, ma; indiana; ohio; california; and kentucky.

cigamnogard
02-10-2009, 07:37 PM
An old DM of mine (no, he's not old in age - duh!) had the players go through a gate from his home campaign world to the realm of Dragonlance.
Personally, I kind of thought of it a 'cheezy' but to each their own...

Soft Serve
02-11-2009, 07:23 AM
Cheese and Bacon makes everything better. Hamburger + Cheese + Bacon = amazingness.

dnd + cheese = amazingness.

If I could put MORE bacon in dnd....

Drizzit red
02-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Instead of jumping around to different realms or worlds, we just take what we like from all the worlds/realms and mash it into the world my buddy and I have been creating for the past 20 years or so.

We do the same thing with the rules of the game. We have things in our game from 1st edition all the way to 3.5. (no 4th yet and probably won't)

Much easier than trying to explain how your character just went from a world full of metal to a world where metal is a rarity. (or whatever)

nijineko
02-11-2009, 04:33 PM
i've done both methods, as well as other methods not mentioned yet.

cigamnogard
02-11-2009, 05:50 PM
My campaign world is a D&D setting with every empire at its height.
*So Elfland is ruling the seven seas with thier First rate ships with a dragon on board. So, an armada is something to behold.
*Greenland is also known as Goblinland and is full of beserking barbarian goblins!
*Rome and Carthage are also at thier heights and have the biggest armies of lower level troops.
And of course the map is so familiar ;)

Soft Serve
02-14-2009, 09:52 AM
What about egypt? Who's running that?

cigamnogard
02-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Egypt is allied with both Carthage and Greece. It is dominated by Drow who use mummies as guards.

nijineko
02-15-2009, 10:33 PM
and the americas?

Soft Serve
02-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Canada, Mexico, New Zealand, Nazi Germany, and Russia as well...:D

nijineko
02-17-2009, 11:50 AM
what about hawaii? and the samoas and tonga?

Soft Serve
02-17-2009, 01:25 PM
haha I bet antarctica is the perfect place to put an Icechucker crossbow.