PDA

View Full Version : New Feature: Calendars for Social Groups!

Farcaster
01-29-2009, 04:27 PM
For a long time now, I have wanted to have a place where I could post upcoming game dates for my D&D group and see it on our calendar here. And now, finally, I've added just such a feature.

If you look in the Events drop down, you'll see a new calendar called "Social Group Calendars (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/calendar.php?c=9)." Here you can post events that are specifically of interest to your group. When you create a new event, you'll be presented with a drop down menu of any social groups for which you are allowed to create events. Simply select the social group and other events as normal, or you can also click the New Event option from your Social Group homepage.

By default, only group owners can enter new events. But, if you would like your members to be able to enter new events, you can edit your group options to allow group members to enter events.

Any events that are coming up in the next thirty days will be shown on your group's homepage in a new section called "Upcoming Events." If your group is public, anyone who visits your group's page can see your events. If your group is moderatred or invite only, only members who belong to your group will be able to see your events.

If you are a member of multiple groups and would like to see events for all groups for which you are a member, you can go into the Social Group Calendars (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/calendar.php?c=9) and see all of your events. You will also see a list of your social group's events in the Upcoming Events area at the bottom of the forum home page.

Enjoy!

nijineko
01-30-2009, 12:39 PM
looks awesome! very handy indeed. =D

Janco
01-30-2009, 05:14 PM
This looks great and I'm thinking of migrating my group over from Yahoo! groups. It will be nice to be part of the wider gaming community... but I have a question...

With the "Request reminder for this event" feature... does that send a reminder out to all the members of the group about the event?

Farcaster
01-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Request a reminder for the event allows you to request a reminder be sent to you about the event. I am planning on adding a feature to notify group members of events that have been recently added or are coming up soon, though.

GoddessGood
02-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Can you add a feature to allow repeating events? For instance, my game group meets every 2 weeks. It would be nice if I could set up one event and schedule it to repeat every two weeks instead of setting up multiple events.

Farcaster
02-02-2009, 12:10 PM
That is already possible. To do that, go into the Social Group Calendars (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/calendar.php?c=9)section and you will find a box at the bottom right below the calendar that has an option for "Recurring Event (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/calendar.php?do=add&type=recur&c=9)."

GoddessGood
02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Ahh, there it is. I created the event starting from the individual social group page rather than from the calendar page and didn't see that link there. Thanks :)

Farcaster
02-02-2009, 01:17 PM
I'll look into giving you an option for what type of event you want to create from the Social Group page.

Janco
02-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Hi Farcaster,

Firstly let me say how great I think this website is! Seriously, it rocks.

I am in the process of transferring my D&D group over from Yahoo groups, and we're probably going to be using penandpaper.com to communicate with each other from now on...

I just have a couple of questions...

Is it possible to have the moderator always have the choice of accepting or rejecting people's request to join the group? At the moment it seems like anyone can join the group, without me intervening.

Secondly, would it be possible to provide members with the choice of sending out an email message to the whole group? Or have an option so that when members reply to the "Group Email" message they can send it to all members, rather than just the moderator...?

I know these are big asks... but if you could make it happen that would be great!

Thanks again for such a great and useful website! I really think its going to extremely popular amongst the gaming community as it progresses...

Janco...

Farcaster
02-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Firstly let me say how great I think this website is! Seriously, it rocks.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that you are getting some use out of the new tools :)

Is it possible to have the moderator always have the choice of accepting or rejecting people's request to join the group? At the moment it seems like anyone can join the group, without me intervening.

Yes, absolutely. What you probably want to do is set your group as "moderated," which would mean that others can request to join, or "invite only," which means that you would have to specifically invite members to join your group. You can set these options by clicking the link "Edit Group" on the bottom navigation bar beneath your group. Once there, look for "Group Type," under the group description. Change that from public to the type of group that you want.

Secondly, would it be possible to provide members with the choice of sending out an email message to the whole group? Or have an option so that when members reply to the "Group Email" message they can send it to all members, rather than just the moderator...?

I think we can set this up, yes. I can make it optional for the group since not all types of groups would necessarily want to allow members to send mass emails. I'll have to consider if that should be an option for un-moderated groups though since it could be easily abused.

RMajere
02-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Would it be possible to get some sort of notification about RSVPs to events? Such as whether someone's RSVP status changes, or when someone adds a new comment/changes their comment regarding an event?

Farcaster
02-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Yes, I had that as a to do item very soon!

florent
02-12-2009, 10:54 AM
That's awesome !

This Website is wonderful, I could finally, thanks to you guys, find a group of players in my area.

created a group a few days ago and added some events. I have a question about groups though: is it possible to have a group-specific blog ? I'd like to paste the summaries of gaming sessions, but messaging limits text to 1000 characters, so I' have to span the info over several messages. I guess I can create a blog under my user name, but I'd rather have it all contained inside the group. Any suggestion ?

Farcaster
02-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Well, as the quickest fix, I have modified the character limit. I didn't know it was that low to begin with. Sorry about that. The limit is currently set at 50,000 characters. If you find you need more than that, let me know and we can think about what the higher limit should be.

florent
02-12-2009, 04:10 PM
50,000 is plenty,

I expect 10,000 at most per message for the Summaries. Thanks a lot !

F.

Freejack
02-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Looks interesting and it reminds me, what happened to slurping the meetup group calendars?

Carl

Farcaster
02-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Good question. The process that sucked in meetup calendars broke down and then it fell of my radar until you mentioned it just now.

Freejack
02-13-2009, 12:02 PM
And for some reason I can't create a thread here. Is that for paying members only?

Carl

Farcaster
02-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Only administrators can create a new thread in the News & Announcements area. However, on occasion for conventions and other such major events, I will move posts from the General Chatter area over to here -- if you were wondering why you have seen some users "create" threads here.

Freejack
02-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Ok, sounds good then. Just wondering. Thanks.

Carl

Janco
02-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi Farcaster,

Me again... I was just wondering if it would be possible... regarding the social group calendar, when you add some html effect to the event, would it be possible for the effect to show up on the group front page in the event description (rather than the html code itself)... For example, I added a picture to an event. It looks good when you look at the event itself, but when you view it just from the front page, you can see the html code, and not the picture...

eg: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/group.php?groupid=72

Farcaster
02-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Janco,

Yes, I will look into getting that fixed as soon as possible.

InMediaRes
03-11-2009, 01:03 PM
I was just about to make a group, but the title isn't 100% set yet. Just wondering if it's something I'll be able to change later or if I'm stuck with that title forever.

Thanks.

Farcaster
03-11-2009, 03:04 PM
You can change it after the initial creation - yes.

InMediaRes
03-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks, Farcaster. I don't think I've been here any longer than a week and I've already found a group to play with. The group forum and calendar functions will be really helpful, I'm sure. This is the best P&PG site I've seen yet.

And Dan Simmons Owns the Universe.

Farcaster
04-05-2009, 04:35 PM
when you add some html effect to the event, would it be possible for the effect to show up on the group front page in the event description (rather than the html code itself)

This is now fixed.