PDA

View Full Version : OtherSide Hobbies

Janisy
01-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Hello everyone. You have seen me on the boards, offering advice, asking for advice and telling my nostalgic stories. Well since I am nearing completion of my first completely unique CoreBook (unique setting and my own personal system) I have decided to take a small leap here.

For a couple of months I have been doing a lot of research into online PDF Publishing. There have been many successful companies that have started from nearly nothing, and I have decided that I would like to start my own. I have the funds (not unlimited, but enough to get started) and the determination.

It will be called OtherSide Hobbies (OSH) and I have already had it legally copyrighted. It will use my own personal system, known as the Medly System, for every publication.

I am posting on here because no one can do it alone. The website has not yet been created (but is in the works), for at the moment I am getting my bricks together. I do not want to start up a small business to watch it flounder and fail.

What I am looking for are game designers, artists, editors, writers, and folks with some technological abilities to manage the website and handle other such concerns. Specifics below:

Game Designers - "Beyond" will be the first game released from OtherSide and is near completeion (lacking art, organization, and a few others at this point). As such, all designers must begin by writing adventure modules for "Beyond" (which means using the Medly System). After two modules are successfully published, the designer will be hired on a freelance basis. The first two modules will get two payments. One for initial release, and one 4 months later based on sales. Once hired on a freelance basis you will get the initial release payment and then get paid every month depending on sales.

Artists - Looking for experienced artists who can draw from instruction. This too will focus on "Beyond" in the beginning. "Beyond" is a sci-fi/futuristic/apocalyptic/fantasy/horror game and artists must be able to draw as such. You will be paid for each individual piece of art you create.

Editor - Looking for someone who can read through entire books and modules, correcting errors. You will be paid by page count.

Writers - Looking for two different kinds of writers. I want one who can do fiction for the beginning of chapters. They do not need much experience, up-and-comers preferred, but it must be of good quality. Also I am looking for a technical writer who can write up detailed rules and setting information for books and modules (essentially the same as a game designer).

Technical Programmer - Need someone who can create, change, and maintain a website. Also needs to be able to convert documents into PDF format and set up payment systems.

Needless to say all of these jobs will be paid for. It will not be a large payment until the company really sets off (some would be really angry if I used grocery money on a failing company) but after that, you will get a bonus for sticking with it.

If this is not the place for this posting, I won't be offended if asked to take it down.

cplmac
01-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Not to butt into your business dealings, but I would only give one suggestion. If you are going to have one person for the Technical Programmer position, I would make sure that they also have some accounting background to setup that payment system. If you look around, there are many accounting programs that have a payrole system either included or available that is fully integrated. I am curious to see what the adventure modules are like. I will admit that there is alot of talent on this site that may come in handy for you.

Janisy
01-15-2009, 10:21 PM
I will admit that there is alot of talent on this site that may come in handy for you.

Yes, I fully agree with that. And thank you for your advice on the accounting. I will be sure to find a program that fits my needs.

Riftwalker
01-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Ok, I'm going to take off my RPGer hat and put on my business hat for a moment.

Not to butt into your business dealings (also), but:
- What is your business plan?
- Have you calculated estimates into how much time/cost accomplishing these tasks will take? How much risk have you built into your plan? How do you mitigate said risk?
- Have you done the market analysis to determine whether OSH and/or the Medly system makes sense from a business perspective? What sets the Medly system apart from the other offerings in the market? How do you intend to get the word out about Medly and how it's different?
- What is your business model? Pricing model? Are you following the lead of one of these other PDF publishing companies that you have researched as you set up the structure for OSH?

Over the months on this forum and others it seems to me that many people decide they'll start a business to publish their games. However, virtually none of them have developed a sound business plan (that I've seen anyway) that would give me at the very least a "warm and fuzzy" that the person knew what they were getting into when they started a business. What I have seen is people that have come up with a game system that they like and are excited about. They think it's great enough that a significant number of people will take interest and shell out the bucks for copies. But they haven't done the math and analysis to see if it even makes business sense to be in the business.

Ok, I really this didn't intend for this to sound condescending; apologies if it did. If I were interested in getting a job with a start-up, these are the types of questions I'd be asking before getting involved.

nijineko
01-20-2009, 09:37 PM
cost/profit analysis. you are going to be sinking a lot of money into this before you see returns that exceed your costs. even if they be so little as print-on-demand publishing, or pdf only, costs for software licenses, costs for contributors, costs for site hosting and e-commerce links, and so forth. all those littles can add up to a lot.

i'm assuming that you have your legalese covered? non-disclosure agreements, and so forth for pre-release materials? secure site for pre-release materials? a server-side system for checkin-checkout of materials so that various contributors do not accidently erase someone elses update by uploading theirs?

just some thoughts.

having said that, i would be interested in contributing in a number of areas mentioned... i would like to see the payouts listed on the various job titles before i commit, however.

congrats on having a system far along enough to seriously consider taking this step!

Lucian-Sunaka
01-20-2009, 10:43 PM
It actually sounds like an interesting idea, and a project I'd be happy to jump on-board with. (Of course that may be more of my 20 year old mind looking for commercial experience I can show off in the future lol)

Regardless, I've sent you a PM detailing my talents and situation, hope to hear from you soon Janisy.

Janisy
01-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Yes, I realize profits won't be coming in for a while. But this isn't so much for the profit. I'm more excited about the experience. I have mostly everything cleared up.

Costs for writing (technical and fiction) will depend on the quality. Anywhere from .7 - 1.2 cents a word (this is what the average freelance writer gets paid)

Editors will get paid by page count. Probably anywhere from 40 - 70 cents a page.

Freelance artists are another matter. Depends on the quality and speed of work.

If you are further interested, send me a Private Message. A

Farcaster
01-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Costs for writing (technical and fiction) will depend on the quality. Anywhere from .7 - 1.2 cents a word (this is what the average freelance writer gets paid)

Really? 1.2 cents per word? That's atrocious. Short fiction writers, who probably have just as much of a chance of getting their works published, usually get at least 3 cents per word. I suppose I don't know the rates for the typical small press though.

Janisy
01-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Well I've been freelance writing for 2 years and I started at .7 on average and still only now get 4.2 without a contract. I don't write fiction, but I do not imagine the rates being so much different.

Dimthar
01-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Hey! If you ever need a Translation to "Spanish". Let me know ...

Zijixiong
01-27-2009, 11:03 AM
this isn't so much for the profit. I'm more excited about the experience.

This is not a good thing to post when you're looking for interested people for your business. Yes, you will get those who are very excited, too, but this sort of statement makes the *professionals* close up and go somewhere else, leaving you with a lot of excited, inexperienced people.

Anyone who would actually contribute valuable business experience is going to be looking for the projected profitability of the business, otherwise it's just a waste of time.

Anywhere from .7 - 1.2 cents a word (this is what the average freelance writer gets paid)

If you're getting paid less than 2 cents per word, you are getting ripped off. My girlfriend is a freelancer for various papers and she thinks 0.05$ (5 cents) per word is horribly low. I don't get paid quite so much for my work as she does, but even still 0.7 cents (ie 0.007$) is beyond atrocious. Honestly, I would rather write some crappy fiction for F&SF or Realms of Fantasy magazines, build a portfolio, then get minimal pay from one of the big companies: it would pay hand over fist better than what you're offering here.

Business and hobbies can meet, but business is not a hobby, nor should you expect others to treat it as such.

jade von delioch
01-27-2009, 02:02 PM
you do realize that what he is trying to do is start a new company from scratch in the middle of a recession. He did say he did not have a lot of money to work with, but you are acting like he should pay what a company like WoTC pays (which most of what they put out is crap anyway). You don't have to be a @%$! about it. helpful advice is fine, but a few of you are starting to be overbearing and treat the guy like an idiot or child.

If your a experienced writer or whatever, then you don't have to do this. But those people out there that have no experience this is a good way to get some.

Very few people in this start anything for profit, they do it because they are excited to do it. It just something they have to do.

nijineko
01-27-2009, 06:21 PM
i'd be willing to help out, thank you for answering my question. what materials do you already have available to peruse?

tesral
01-27-2009, 11:34 PM
"There is no such thing as "social gambling." Either you are there to cut the other bloke's heart out and eat it -- or you're a sucker. If you don't like this choice -- don't gamble." R. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Opening any business is a form of gambling. Keep the advice in mind.