PDA

View Full Version : Hobby++

Freejack
01-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Yea, for the programmers out there, they'll understand the reference :)

I'll try to be to the point.

When I read, when I get to a typo (like teh nowadays), it's like a speed bump and a scab. It interrupts the flow of the sentence and I keep going back to it. For instance, in the recently reprinted Arsenal (Shadowrun gear book), I spotted a misuse of the word "use". It's been two days and I still think about it.

So when I find typos, I make a note and drop a line to Catalyst via the dumpshock forums.

A couple of weeks ago, I received an e-mail from one of the staff at Catalyst (Jennifer Harding, one of the writers of Unwired). She wanted to know if I would be willing to review text of upcoming books _before_ they're published to catch the typos then. I received a NDA, have signed it and am waiting on my first project.

Yea, I'm not a writer, but I do get to help with a product I like. And I'm doing it anyway. I'd rather it be right when published :)

Carl

Riftwalker
01-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Nice! Score one for the sticklers. :)

Grimwell
01-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Anal retentiveness -- You are doing it right.

:)

Congrats man, that's awesome.

Skunkape
01-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Good job! Congratz!

cplmac
01-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Nice gig. Do you get paid for this or maybe just as nice, a free copy of the finished product.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Congrats Freejack. Sounds like fun.

Freejack
01-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Nice gig. Do you get paid for this or maybe just as nice, a free copy of the finished product.

No pay. I'm actually hoping for some SWAG more than the book. I'm part of a pool and am only working on a piece of it. So I get to see my bit of it and that's it. Since it's a pool, we should all be finding each others missed errors as well. More eyes and all that.

Carl

GoddessGood
01-14-2009, 12:08 PM
That's awesome :) Feels good to know other people like me are out there and the trait does have some validity to it. In highschool, I once won an argument with my english teacher over the placement of punctuation in regards to quotation marks. After that, I don't think he liked me much :lol:

kirksmithicus
01-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Congratulations. I could really use someone like you to follow me around and clean up my mistakes. The pay is lousy and the benefits suck, but you would be able to bask in my presence. :D

MortonStromgal
01-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Thank goodness! The 1st printing of 4e core book made my head spin. Nice to know they are concerned with proper grammar.

GoddessGood
01-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Haha. Usually when I see an error in a book I'm torn between my need to fix it, my aversion of making marks on my books, and being too lazy to get up and get a piece of paper to log the mistake. Anal-retentiveness has its price.

Of course, now that this thread's here I'm paying more attention to my own grammar and punctuation than I usually do :). Are you sure you're not an agent of my old english teacher? ;)

Freejack
01-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Haha. Usually when I see an error in a book I'm torn between my need to fix it, my aversion of making marks on my books, and being too lazy to get up and get a piece of paper to log the mistake. Anal-retentiveness has its price.

Of course, now that this thread's here I'm paying more attention to my own grammar and punctuation than I usually do :). Are you sure you're not an agent of my old english teacher? ;)

I have the Shadowrun books in electronic format, same with the proofs that I've been reviewing these past couple of days. My method of proofing is to snag the text from the PDF and paste it into a text file. Generally the pdf is a lot harder to read with smaller text or strange formatting. I just want to look at the raw text.

So when I'm proofing (or even reading the other books), I have a three monitor system. So the PDF goes in the left monitor, the working text copy goes in the center, and the errata doc goes in the right.

http://www.schelin.org/jpgshow.php?Dscn0799.jpg

Carl

Riftwalker
01-16-2009, 12:57 PM
What role does the flux capacitor between monitors #1 and #2 play during your edits? And the plasma vortex off to the left? :D

Freejack
01-16-2009, 01:42 PM
What role does the flux capacitor between monitors #1 and #2 play during your edits? And the plasma vortex off to the left? :D

Actually the left most vortex there is my Mac Powerbook. The flux capacitor is an external disk with all the music on it. I plug it into the Powerbook and bring up iTunes to play random music while I play. I'll also drop in a DVD sometimes and watch a movie while surfing the 'net. I've watched a few of our older movies over the past month or so.

Carl
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Another pic:

http://www.schelin.org/jpgshow.php?Dscn0795.jpg

And the main gaming system I recently built:

http://www.schelin.org/jpgshow.php?Dscn0798.jpg

Carl

GoddessGood
01-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Suhweet setup.

>^..^< Kitteh do apruv of et.

Freejack
01-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Oh, here's a good one. From our Shadowrun pictorial:

http://www.schelin.org/jpgshow.php?highres_5839992.jpeg

MortonStromgal
01-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Are you cut and pasting the text yourself? Or are you printing it and having a software printer grab the text (like a text extractor)? Or have you come up with a better method?

Moritz
01-19-2009, 05:41 PM

Flux capacitor? Oh... I thought that was a glow in the dark phallus.

cplmac
01-19-2009, 09:00 PM
If he has a flux capacitor, does that mean that there is a slightly used Delorian sitting in the back yard?:biggrin:

Freejack
01-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Are you cut and pasting the text yourself? Or are you printing it and having a software printer grab the text (like a text extractor)? Or have you come up with a better method?

I just "Ctrl+A" when the PDF is open, "Ctrl+C" to copy the text, bring up notepad and "Ctrl+V" to paste it.

I have a perl script that converts the odd characters into the "right" ones.

Then I open the PDF up in the left monitor, the text file in the center one and the errata file in the right monitor.

When I'm done, I send the errata off to Catalyst.

No idea how much I'm helping. I get an e-mail every day or two with the next task and I can either participate or not. Friday I didn't for instance.

On the plus side, I apparently get my name in whatever book I'm working on, which is pretty cool IMO :D I won't know which one until I actually see it though.

Carl

nijineko
01-20-2009, 02:10 PM
very sweet! and a nice setup of the hardware. ^^ congrats!