PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun Campaign Online

Halfman
01-10-2009, 09:31 PM
I am a beginner PNP player looking to play a shadowrun game. But i don't know how to GM, and I can't get anywhere so it has to be online. I live EST so thats -5 GMT. I'm asking someone to help ease me into the life so i can start my own group where i live.

New Addition,
Halfman

Fuzzy alchemist
01-10-2009, 10:03 PM
I would be more than happy to join. I apologize but I would not want to GM full time so it would be nice if we could find someone else who did. Or at the very least someone to allow for a rotation of the position between those capable and willing. Someone who wanted the position full time would be nice.

Halfman
01-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Thats good. Anyone willing to play will be helpful. I'll keep looking for more people though.

~Halfman

Miciah Dodge
01-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi guys,
I'm in your shoes, Halfman; I've not played before but have the book and have created a couple of characters. Would be willing to GM on a rotating basis but would probably like to see at least one game of Shadowrun GMd by someone else first. So count me in!

Halfman
01-12-2009, 10:19 AM
alright, so we have three GM/Players, I'd say maybe two more and we could get a game going. I'm on est and can play most Friday night, Saturday. But Shifting my schedule shouldn't be to bad as long as its after school. I don't know your schedules though so I can't come up with times. Also any idea what we could use to play?

Manthrax
01-12-2009, 02:06 PM
This sounds interesting; I've never played Shadowrun before, but am somewhat familiar with the setting.

If we were to get a game or two going, even premades, just to cut our teeth, I might feel comfortable GMing...But I don't think I'd be able to pull it off from the get-go.

You've got a player in me, though.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Ok, after an extended discussion with half man it has been suggested I GM the first run. If anyone objects please say so. It has also been suggested that I organize the first session and what not due to the previous suggestion. The little blurb at the top of this says that it will take place on Saturdays. That works for me. Does that work for everyone else? If not we will need to adjust it. Either way we also need to come up with a time. After noon has been suggested. What other thoughts do we have on the matter?

I also have suggested an online table top, maptools was my example, and a voice program, such as skype. There are free versions of each and I do not want to force people to invest extra money just to play in this group. What is everyones oppinion on this idea? I will note that I understand not everyone has or can obtain a mic. If this is the case for anyone in the group that is not a problem. Many of the online table tops have built in chat things which we can use. If another methood is chosen I am sure that something can be worked out for those who can not get a mic.

Once I get everyones opinion on me being the GM for the first run I will either shut up and let whoever is picked work on that portion or if I am affirmed, begin going though the portion of the work that needs to be done by that position.

I look forward to hearing back from everyone.

Halfman
01-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Sounds good to me. I'm free almost every Saturday afternoon. Also i have access to a mic and skype so I'm ready to go whenever we set a date.

Miciah Dodge
01-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Saturday afternoons are okay with me, might need to adjust in a month or so, but only for a few weeks. Friday evenings are fine as well, with the same consideration for Saturday (may need to adjust for a few weeks in Feb.).

I have a mic and will get Skype and any virtual tabletop we're playing with (provided it's free!)

I'd love it if you started as GM. Once I've played an adventure I can probably pick up enough to GM as well, but it'd be great if you'd start us off!

Manthrax
01-14-2009, 07:29 AM
I have no problems whatsoever with you GMing, it certainly works for me. Saturday afternoon I can make work. Anywhere in the noon-6pm range would be good for me (GMT-6), other times I can try and fineagle.

The map tool is no prob, but I won't be able to use a mic. MSN/ICQ/Whatever, let me know and I'll get it up and running.

In case it matters for your master plan, I have never played Shadowrun P&P before, but I played the old Sega genesis game of it (pretty fun game, incidentally), so I know at least some of the lore and such, and I've played a lot of other P&Ps so I'll probably pick it up quick. If you want me to pick up any of the books and give them a peruse, let me know.

Miciah Dodge
01-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Hey Manthrax, thanks for volunteering to GM, but it might be good if you are at least familiar with the Core Rulebook first. Though, as I understand it, they've simplified a lot of things in 4th ed., it's still complex enough that you kinda have to know what's going on. No offense, and again, thank you for volunteering, but I wonder if there is anyone who has GMd this before or played it, PNP? (Incidentally, I also played Shadowrun for the first time on a console, though it was the SNES. It ROCKED, don't you agree?)

Fuzzy alchemist
01-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Ok. It has been brought to my attention that the people I was waiting on since the last post do not exist. You all seem to be in favor of me being GM. So, I guess I will need you all to start working on characters and send them to me.

I will come up with a proposal for a start time by 10 pm eastern. I have something I need to check on before I can be sure on the time for this weekend.

No one has expressed an objection to map tools that I saw so until someone points one out to me I suggest that is what we use. We will likely use the first session to work on characters and get used to the interface. If we are all finished and do not muddling through we can even get some play time in as well.

Miciah Dodge
01-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks, Fuzzy. RE: the time:

Saturdays will work alright for me, but this particular Saturday I have to leave for work at 6:30pm MST. However, I can begin play as early as 12:30pm, so we can have plenty of time. Hope this timing works for everyone.

Q: Are we playing 3rd or 4th ed. rules?

Manthrax
01-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Oh man, I hope it's 4th ed...That's the one I downloaded and looked over.

And no offense taken, Miciah. I definately agree that knowing the handbook is key, it's just at the time I made the offer I didn't know if we had a better choice. (I played that SNES game, too, actually...It was pretty good, but I'll never forgive it for the first couple hours I spent aimlessly wandering trying to find a gun while taking random potshots from every freakin' window in town.)

If we are using 4th ed, how many build points are we using? Default is 400, in case it matters.

I'll hash out my character mechanic-wise once I know which system we're using. Character concept wise (I figure I might as well put it here, in case anyone other than Fuzzy has input before I get married to it), I'm thinking a nervous but capable Dwarven Magician. He was goaded into becoming a runner by a partner of his, who is now incarcerated after a run went sour. He's trying to scrape together enough contacts and money to get his friend out of jail while also trying to evade Lone Star: They couldn't make the charges stick for what his partner was nailed for, but they know his face and can't wait to bust him for <something>. That's the bare bones, anyways.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-15-2009, 12:08 PM
4th edition. Sorry I did not mention it before. Time works fine for me. I will make sure to adjust and state times in mountain as well as eastern. It will assist me in making sure that I take into consideration how early and how late I am asking people to stay.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Ok. they are kind of screwing with me at work. I will be getting off at 2 am eastern Saturday morning. If I assume that they give me the same schedule Saturday as they are tomorrow I will need to start the game as early as possible. This should not be standard as most of the time they work me the 10 to 7 shift. This is what I wanted to figure out before I suggested a time for our first session. Now, I do not know if they are working me on Saturday, but it is best to plan as though they are. If not then it just gives us a little extra time.

To the point. How does 2:30 pm eastern/12:30 pm mountain sound to everyone? I think I converted correctly. The idea would be the 12:30 mountain as I think it was the latest stated time.

Oh, Manthrax, I did not see your post before I made mine and was unaware that you had. In response, you concept sounds fine. It is indeed 400 points. Send me a copy to look over when you think you are ready. If there is something you need adjustment for tell me. I will warn you that I am not overly familiar with magic, so it might take me a while to figure out all the quirks. Just give me time, I will eventually get a better understanding. I have been studying it since it was first suggested I be GM since it was likely I would have to work with it at some point.

Halfman
01-17-2009, 10:19 AM
How do we meet up? I'm not familiar with map tools...

Fuzzy alchemist
01-17-2009, 12:11 PM
download the software: http://rptools.net/doku.php?id=maptool:intro
Then join a room called: PNPGB Shadowrun

I will be putting up the room in the next few minutes so I can work on getting comfortable with it and make sure to set up any ports or anything so that we will not lose as much time to that sort of thing.

player password: a3ya

Halfman
01-17-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm having trouble connecting to said server... I recieve "Error: Could not find that server"

Fuzzy alchemist
01-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Ok. I am working on the problem alongside Halfman and hope to find a solution soon. In the process it became evident that I need to point out that I am using build 49, the development one, rather than build 32 the release. To the best of my understanding it will not allow one to connect to the other. If you run into that problem try that solution. If you have addtional problems tell me.

Miciah Dodge
01-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Hey all,

I'm sorry I didn't respond to the post sooner, I had a crazy end-of-the-week :(. After all the messaging and everything, it looks like I may not be able to play after all. I'm so sorry, I hope you have a good game! Thanks, Miciah.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-17-2009, 02:13 PM
We are sorry to lose you, but appreciate you telling us. If your situation changes again feel free to drop us a line. We might be able to work you in. Based on the way this group is set up it should be rather episodic allowing you to be easily worked in at the beginning of the next run or even mid run since they will be accustomed to having a revolving cast.

Halfman
01-17-2009, 11:12 PM
If anyone is interested we are still looking for one or two more people to play with us. Just drop a post or send a PM to Fuzz or I.

Halfman
01-20-2009, 03:21 PM
I think a friend of mine wants to play with us next session. I don't know if you guys want him to though. If you do I'll help him make a character and get everything set up on his computer before that time.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-20-2009, 03:36 PM
I have not objection to giving him a chance but it is a group decision not mine alone. Worst case scenario we simply come to the conclusion after one game that the fit is not good and he leaves. I will also point out that of times for him to join this is one of the better ones. It is just before the job has been offered so he can be a part of the the meeting and it does not disrupt anything.

lobothebluffer
01-20-2009, 05:58 PM
hello hey saw your discussion do u still need anyone i have skype, a mic, the 4.0 gamebook been playing 3.5 but it looks easy enough. not too familiar with shadowrun but i have been googling it so i should be okay soon. work for me is i get off by afternoons, usually dont work sundays might have to work saturday morns but rarely. i usually play a thief due to i like to talk and roleplay

Manthrax
01-20-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm all for letting your friend join; I don't have a problem with giving anyone a shot, for the record.

gambler
01-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Hey guys I just found this thread and was wondering if you needed another player. I just found this site and I used to play ShadowRUn in High School. I am in the Midwest and I saw this thread but I would be down for a ShadowRun online game. Its been a while since I played and everything but I remember the basics. Just email me back let me know if you have room. I am 31 from chicago and my name is Dan. Email Shootthisone@aol.com

Fuzzy alchemist
01-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Feel free to join if you have an interest. We can get you into the group easily and if you feel capable, into the GM rotation.

Halfman
01-22-2009, 10:54 AM
I just realized i don't actually know when we are playing this week....

gambler
01-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey guys what do I need to play online? I have ventrillo. Just let me know what I need to download and if a copy of rules and a character sheet is availible so I can build one and be ready or is all going to be talked about and determined the first time we meet up. It would take me a few sessions to remember some of the rules and so forth as its been like 10 years since I did a ShadowRun game.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Gambler. We are using maptools and you will need to download it. I normally update mine just before the game meaning that I tend to have the newest development version and that is what you will need.

As for time we can discuss that. Based on the discussions from last time we could have run later if I had had more solo material for the player I had left to take up the time till my other player returned. Based on this information we could start after any other arrangments you all have for that day to insure you will not have to run down to the wire on them to try to stay with the game.

Halfman
01-23-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm going to be out until about 3pm tomorrow. But after that I'll be home all night. I don't know how that works out with everyone's schedule though. I can try to nudge the time a bit if I have to.

Manthrax
01-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Well, I'm awake now and should be around for the next 4-6 hours, at least, so I'll check every half hour or so to see if anything's come together.

Halfman
01-24-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm home and ready to play if you guys are.

Eviltikiman
02-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Hey guys, I have been looking around for a group to play some table top games with, but haven't had any luck. I have been looking particularly for Shadowrun 4e games, but cant find any my area that are recent. I noticed that this game was started late last month and was wondering if I could join. I have some experience playing it, and know how to roll up a character. I also have just about all the books for 4E.

Halfman
02-20-2009, 11:00 PM
This game died the week after it began unfortunately. However if you would be willing to put together a group I would totally be on board.

Eviltikiman
02-21-2009, 09:52 PM
I am for starting another one. I made a post for one. Heres the link: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9129