PDA

View Full Version : Campaigns / Adventures The Black Company-campaign idea

Anaesthesia
01-09-2009, 02:17 PM
(I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, please move it if it is)

I just got the TBC campaign setting and I'm not very familiar with the Glen Cook Novels (I'm currently trying to locate copies), and was wondering if my campaign idea would work and/or makes any kind of sense. This is using some of the Glittering Stone option, (the option where (n)pcs can either come from or go to a variant world) and is crossover with Dragonlance.

This invovles the 10 who were taken-some of whom being wizards who were "overpowered" by another wizard (called the Dominator) and turned into servants.

Anyway, my idea is that the party works for the Dominator, and there were orignally going to be more than 10 that were taken. To those wondering about the DL refrence, this is exact time in DL where Raistlin is on his own quest to godhood. The party is sent to find Raist, and finds the portal to Krynn. I was thinking that in the party itself, should be a wizard (probably low-mid level). If I'm not mistaken, in the TBC world, one wizard can dominate another, if they know the wizard's real name. I'm thinking this wouldn't work on Raist in Krynn, but once they cross back into TBC world, it would work?

I was also thinking of implementing the Sanity points (the book implies that if characters saw a NPC from another land, say a Half-Orc, that the character depending on his/her reaction, would range from thinking it's a good omen, sent from the gods, to that it came from the Plain of Fear and they need to destroy the Half-orc.)

Edward
01-09-2009, 11:19 PM
I just got the TBC campaign setting and I'm not very familiar with the Glen Cook Novels (I'm currently trying to locate copies), and was wondering if my campaign idea would work and/or makes any kind of sense. This is using some of the Glittering Stone option, (the option where (n)pcs can either come from or go to a variant world) and is crossover with Dragonlance.

I haven't seen the campaign setting, so I can't comment on that aspect, but I read all the novels and really liked them. Perhaps I can provide some useful suggestions from that perspective. It's been a while since I read the books, but here's my take.

My first suggestion is to avoid reading any more of the campaign setting until you've read the novels. The novels are excellent; in my opinion, it's Glen Cook's best series by far. The campaign setting obviously contains a lot of spoilers; if you know about Glittering Stone, then you already know one major surprise. The unexpected plot twists are part of what makes the series so good. So I would stop reading the setting until you've finished the series.

Be sure to read the entire series, in order. You'll need to be familiar with them for the campaign.

This invovles the 10 who were taken-some of whom being wizards who were "overpowered" by another wizard (called the Dominator) and turned into servants.The Dominator wasn't just a wizard; he was the most powerful wizard in the history of the world, and he eventually became a god. The Lady and the Taken were far, far above everyone else, and his power was orders of magnitude greater than theirs.

Anyway, my idea is that the party works for the Dominator, and there were orignally going to be more than 10 that were taken.That's a reasonable supposition. He wasn't trying for a certain number; he was just looking for wizards powerful enough to threaten him. Obviously, there weren't many.

Working for the Dominator would be a problem even for most evil characters. He's one of those ultra-evil types, the kind whose first decision on conquering a new people is whether to exterminate them. If he becomes slightly suspicious of the PC's, or just gets annoyed at them, he'll have them killed (or cast them into some interesting variety of eternal torment). It was hard to survive in his service for any length of time.

There are some pretty evil characters in the series (the Lady, the Taken, even the main characters and the rebel leaders), but the Dominator was too much even for the worst of them. Players are inevitably going to decide to overthrow him sooner or later. Perhaps you could set the game near the end of his reign, when the Lady was about to launch her coup. The players could be conspiring with her. Of course, if they're not careful, they'll end up as the first of her own Taken . . . .

To those wondering about the DL refrence, this is exact time in DL where Raistlin is on his own quest to godhood. The party is sent to find Raist, and finds the portal to Krynn.Perhaps the Dominator orders them to bring Raistlin to him, to become one of his Taken -- but perhaps the Lady has secretly ordered them to bring Raistlin to her, to recruit him for the coup. The PC's might figure out that they're going to follow Raistlin as the Lady's new Taken, and decide to work out a deal with Raistlin. They can't betray the Lady too early, though, because they'll have absolutely no chance of overthrowing the Dominator without her, no matter how powerful they are. They may try to overthrow the Lady after the Dominator is overthrown, but she'll be expecting that. And Raistlin may decide to betray everyone and secure the top spot for himself. Of course, once the Dominator is gone, the Taken have free will again, and many of them will decide that they're the best candidate to be on top . . . .

In the world of the Black Company, Raistlin would be one of the least evil characters around. He would be the good guy. A bit ironic.

I was thinking that in the party itself, should be a wizard (probably low-mid level). If I'm not mistaken, in the TBC world, one wizard can dominate another, if they know the wizard's real name.Not really dominate. They can destroy the other wizard's powers (at least for a very long time, and perhaps permanently for lesser wizards). Once the other wizard's powers are gone, magical means can be used to dominate him.

I'm thinking this wouldn't work on Raist in Krynn, but once they cross back into TBC world, it would work?Probably open to interpretation. I'd say you could do this however you want.

I've seen Raistlin interpreted as having psionics, in addition to magic. If so, his psionics wouldn't be affected by his true name (if they work in the new world).

I was also thinking of implementing the Sanity points (the book implies that if characters saw a NPC from another land, say a Half-Orc, that the character depending on his/her reaction, would range from thinking it's a good omen, sent from the gods, to that it came from the Plain of Fear and they need to destroy the Half-orc.)I'm not familiar with Sanity points. People who live near Glittering Stone tend to kill everyone and everything they see if they can't positively identify them, and perhaps even if they can. It's the only way to survive.

Anaesthesia
01-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the input Edward. I've only found The Books of the South, and I'm having a hard time finding the other books.

Edward
01-11-2009, 12:39 AM
You can buy an omnibus edition titled The Black Company (http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Black-Company-Glen-Cook/dp/0765319233/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231653820&sr=1-1) which includes the original three books. (In my opinion, the first three were the best, though the others are pretty good, too.)

The next three books (The Silver Spike, Shadow Games, and Dreams of Steel) are included in an omnibus edition titled The Books of the South (http://www.amazon.com/Books-South-Tales-Company-Chronicles/dp/0765320665/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231653820&sr=1-2).

The final four books were at one time available in two volumes, but I don't think those are available anymore. You can buy them individually, though: Bleak Seasons (http://www.dualj.org/bookstore/item_details.aspx?ItemID=0312861052), She Is The Darkness, Water Sleeps (http://www.amazon.com/Water-Sleeps-Novel-Company-Chronicles/dp/0812555341/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231654237&sr=1-7), and Soldiers Live (http://www.bookbase.com/search?dealer_login=haven&bookId=052877&method=POST).

The Glittering Stone books, aside from Water Sleeps, seem to be expensive -- especially She Is The Darkness; I didn't see any decent prices on that one. You might find them on eBay. It looks like Bleak Seasons (https://www.ebookstoreandlibrary.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=4432&zenid=8f8e81fb06df7f2f18407a8419d306ba), She Is The Darkness (https://www.ebookstoreandlibrary.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=4433&zenid=8f8e81fb06df7f2f18407a8419d306ba) and Soldiers Live (https://www.ebookstoreandlibrary.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4435&zenid=8f8e81fb06df7f2f18407a8419d306ba) are available as ebooks.

Anaesthesia
01-11-2009, 04:13 PM
The next three books (The Silver Spike, Shadow Games, and Dreams of Steel) are included in an omnibus edition titled The Books of the South (http://www.amazon.com/Books-South-Tales-Company-Chronicles/dp/0765320665/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231653820&sr=1-2).

Yep, got this edition of the books. :) My local Borders said they were suppose to get the ominbus edition of the first 3 sometime soon, so I'm waiting before I buy it online (although buying it online would probably be cheaper.)

Edward
01-11-2009, 10:07 PM
My local Borders said they were suppose to get the ominbus edition of the first 3 sometime soon, so I'm waiting before I buy it online (although buying it online would probably be cheaper.)

Might be faster, too.

If you want to find out how good they are, ask them to get the Glittering Stone books for you. ;)

templeorder
05-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Edwards comments are all very good. I have all the books, and by all accounts the world during the time of The Dominator was not a good place to be. Working for him would definitely throw PC's on to the "evil" side of the coin. In terms of what domination or "taking" really is, and the power of true names... its a slippery slope. The Lady is named by Silent, but some of her powers come back. Domination seems more to be, in effect, a type of charm so that the target is unable to directly harm those dominating them, and that they can be forced to act in a certain manner while under control. I would imagine there is a lot of pain involved in "taking" and that the entire breadth of powers and potential is laid open for the dominator to know in order to best train and keep under control.

In terms of world cross over, its entirely your call. TBC world is fairly tight, human-centric with already developed culture and history... but for those that have read the series, its obvious that jumping to another world or sphere is not only probable, but a necessary part of the history.