PDA

View Full Version : Dark Side Temptation

Inquisitor Tremayne
01-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Anyone using this variant rule from The Force Unleashed CG?

It allows a Force Sensitive character to essentially call upon the dark side of the force and gain a single use of a Force power with the [Dark Side] descriptor.

I have enacted it but have yet to have a PC use it.

Just wondering how it tied in and how it played out dramatically in your games.

Webhead
01-08-2009, 01:55 PM
I read over the Dark Side Temptation rules in the FU sourcebook, but decided that they still didn't express what I was looking for and thus continue to use my own collection of house rules. The reason I wasn't terribly intrigued by the FU rules is because it continues to fall into the same trap that every other d20 Star Wars edition did. It only allows characters to gain a free use of any "Dark Side" power. Thus, if a character is inclined to use an alternate non-Dark Side power to solve the same problem, the temptation is meaningless.

The temptation of the Dark Side is supposed to be about "power" in whatever form the Force-user is desperate enough to call upon it for. The mistake that Star Wars d20 and d20 RCR made was that having a few Dark Side Points only increased your Dark Side powers and penalized your Light Side powers. For someone who doesn't want to make continued use out of Dark Side powers, this is actually more of a hindrance than a benefit.

The temptation of the Dark Side represents the desire for power. Power over one's enemies. Power to "control" one's own fate. Power to achieve the things that are most important (and, likely, of emotional significance) to them. The Dark Side promises this power, freely and willingly at first, until it has lured you into its maw and then the jaws snap shut and escape is hopeless. It does this by offering itself in the midst of your greatest frustrations and disappointments. When you are angry or sad or even simply jealous or prideful. It offers to help you solve your problems by giving you a little extra "boost", just enough for you to reach your desires.

Once the Dark Side has captured and enslaved you, it doesn't need to tempt you any longer. It simply provides you with what it needs to to keep you alive while it takes from you and works its will through you. At a certain point, the Dark Sider ceases to be who they once were, instead transformed into nothing more than a puppet of the Dark Side's will.

What am I trying to say? To offer "temptation", the Dark Side should offer "power". Not just "Dark Side power" but simply power that would appeal to someone in dire straits. In SW d20 and d20 RCR, I house ruled the Dark Side as follows:

Tainted: You are considered tainted by the Dark Side if you have a Dark Side Score less than half your Wisdom score. While Tainted, you gain a +2 bonus to all Force Skill rolls.

Corrputed: You are considered corrupted if you have a Dark Side Score equal to or greater than half your Wisdom score, but less than your full Wisdom score. While Corrupted, you gain a +4 bonus to all Force Skill rolls.

Fallen: If you fall to the Dark Side, you may not use powers specifically indicated as "Light Side" powers and no longer gain the Force Skill bonuses for being "Corrupted".

For Star Wars Saga, I use the following rules. Thus far, I have found that they work decently well for being potent and available enough to be tempting.

●The seductive Dark Side: Force Sensitive characters with a Dark Side Score less than their Wisdom may call upon the Dark Side to gain a single use of any one of the following Force powers; dark rage, force grip, force slam, force thrust, rebuke or surge. Calling on the Dark Side in this way is a major transgression. Using this power does not count against the character’s total number of Force powers in their suite nor does the character need to have already selected the Force power as one of their suite of powers.
●Calling on the Dark Side: Force Sensitive characters with a Dark Side Score less than their Wisdom may call upon the Dark Side to gain a temporary Force Point. If the Force Point is not used before the end of the encounter, it is lost. Calling on the Dark Side is a major transgression. Only heroic characters can call on the Dark Side.
●The Measure of Evil: When you commit a Dark Side transgression, your Dark Side Score increases by a random amount: 1d3 for major transgressions, 1d2 for moderate transgressions, and 1 for minor transgressions.
●Atoning: Atoning to remove a Dark Side point requires a period of self-reflection. To atone, a character must spend 2d8 days in reflection meditating upon their actions and seeking balance with the Force. The days need not be taken all at once and can be spread out if needed. However, if the character gains even a single Dark Side point before his atonement is complete, the character must start the process over again. At the end of that time period the character spends a Force point and reduces their Dark Side Score by 1.

Inquisitor Tremayne
01-08-2009, 02:21 PM
I read over the Dark Side Temptation rules in the FU sourcebook, but decided that they still didn't express what I was looking for and thus continue to use my own collection of house rules. The reason I wasn't terribly intrigued by the FU rules is because it continues to fall into the same trap that every other d20 Star Wars edition did. It only allows characters to gain a free use of any "Dark Side" power. Thus, if a character is inclined to use an alternate non-Dark Side power to solve the same problem, the temptation is meaningless.

The temptation of the Dark Side is supposed to be about "power" in whatever form the Force-user is desperate enough to call upon it for. The mistake that Star Wars d20 and d20 RCR made was that having a few Dark Side Points only increased your Dark Side powers and penalized your Light Side powers. For someone who doesn't want to make continued use out of Dark Side powers, this is actually more of a hindrance than a benefit.

The temptation of the Dark Side represents the desire for power. Power over one's enemies. Power to "control" one's own fate. Power to achieve the things that are most important (and, likely, of emotional significance) to them. The Dark Side promises this power, freely and willingly at first, until it has lured you into its maw and then the jaws snap shut and escape is hopeless. It does this by offering itself in the midst of your greatest frustrations and disappointments. When you are angry or sad or even simply jealous or prideful. It offers to help you solve your problems by giving you a little extra "boost", just enough for you to reach your desires.

Once the Dark Side has captured and enslaved you, it doesn't need to tempt you any longer. It simply provides you with what it needs to to keep you alive while it takes from you and works its will through you. At a certain point, the Dark Sider ceases to be who they once were, instead transformed into nothing more than a puppet of the Dark Side's will.

What am I trying to say? To offer "temptation", the Dark Side should offer "power". Not just "Dark Side power" but simply power that would appeal to someone in dire straits. In SW d20 and d20 RCR, I house ruled the Dark Side as follows:

Tainted: You are considered tainted by the Dark Side if you have a Dark Side Score less than half your Wisdom score. While Tainted, you gain a +2 bonus to all Force Skill rolls.

Corrputed: You are considered corrupted if you have a Dark Side Score equal to or greater than half your Wisdom score, but less than your full Wisdom score. While Corrupted, you gain a +4 bonus to all Force Skill rolls.

Fallen: If you fall to the Dark Side, you may not use powers specifically indicated as "Light Side" powers and no longer gain the Force Skill bonuses for being "Corrupted".

For Star Wars Saga, I use the following rules. Thus far, I have found that they work decently well for being potent and available enough to be tempting.

Did you lift those from MY house rules!!??

They look awfully familiar!!:D

I dropped those rules for something more "official". Call me a purist, I guess.:rolleyes:

Webhead
01-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Did you lift those from MY house rules!!??

They look awfully familiar!!:D

I dropped those rules for something more "official". Call me a purist, I guess.:rolleyes:

Yes, as I recall, I did lift some of my Saga material from the Saga stuff you posted, with a few minor tweaks for my personal touch. Good stuff! ;)

Yes, I read over the "official" rules, but decided I was happier with what I had put together as it met my understanding of Dark Side Temptation better.

Inquisitor Tremayne
01-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Yes, as I recall, I did lift some of my Saga material from the Saga stuff you posted, with a few minor tweaks for my personal touch. Good stuff! ;)

Yes, I read over the "official" rules, but decided I was happier with what I had put together as it met my understanding of Dark Side Temptation better.

Yeah, looking back on it I agree. I'll have to go reread that section again.

Etarnon
01-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Atoning in my games is a hell of a lot harder, because I'm an old d6 SW veteran GM.

To atone, you got to do a mission that helps others, and risks your life, not just meditate.

Thus atoning takes a lot longer.

Webhead
01-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Atoning in my games is a hell of a lot harder, because I'm an old d6 SW veteran GM.

To atone, you got to do a mission that helps others, and risks your life, not just meditate.

Thus atoning takes a lot longer.

I'm a stickler for the old D6 system too. Most of my Saga Edition house rules come from my trying to make some elements that I dislike about the new system more like D6.

That's partly why I house ruled in the additional 2d8 days of meditating. That's not for a "okay, you've got two weeks of down time...remove a Dark Side point"situation. The idea is that the PC in question will be on probably several adventures during the time that they are atoning which will involve me judging whether or not they are truly attempting to right their wrongs or whether they are just abusing the system. Hence why I also mention that if they should gain a single Dark Side Point or even simply require me to remind them on more than one or two occasions that their actions would gain them a Dark Side Point, the character has not truly atoned and thus they have to start all over again. The Dark Side is not so easily fooled.