PDA

View Full Version : New Video and Game store hosting D&D night

HollywoodXtreme
01-06-2009, 03:59 PM
I run a new video and game store in Mesquite, TX, Hollywood Xtreme Entertainment. In an effort to bring in new business I am opening up the store for a weekly D&D game night. The first one will be on Wednesday, January 7th. from 6:00 to 11:00pm. DMs needed. Come check out the store. I specialize in videos and games, but I'm more than willing and able to bring in RPG stuff. I would like to make this a place that you and your friends like to come and hang out.
972-329-6099
2110 N Galloway Ave, Mesquite, TX 75150
www.myspace.com/hollywoodxtreme (http://www.myspace.com/hollywoodxtreme)

ronpyatt
01-09-2009, 12:22 AM
I'll stop by sometime to check out your store soon. Sorry I missed the first game night.

Dimthar
01-09-2009, 01:37 PM
I guess a few Pictures of what does the "RPG Table" Game area looks like may help.

I also recommend you don't limit yourself to RPG.

Monday's could be Board Games
Tuesday's CCG

If you have room enough..

=)

spotlight
01-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see the place too. Does the DART run by there?

kitsune1842
01-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Oooh, wish I had seen this up before Wednsday. If the gaming night is going to be weekly I may stop by and check it out on the 14th

Chris House
01-22-2009, 05:07 PM
honestly having formally owned a game shoppe and comic store. and made profit and sold it at a profit. I can make some suggestions if you want to turn the store into a hang out.

first make your behavior rules and stick too them!

this well save you lots of frustrations

two If you want GM, provide a few perks nothing crazy like free stuff, just something like choice of locations in the store and full billing, maybe a discount on a game or two.

room to play and be prepared for constant restroom maintenance if your place is mall, those sodas add up!

and refreshments yes you well make a few bucks if you set up your own soda fountain area! sell refreshments, you well not make as much if you well in the can as in the cup, sell popcorn and hot pockets beef jerky and chips all legal and no vendor license.

cup drinks are about .21 cents a drink through in ice and it drops to 14.5
sell them for standard size 20 oz .99
or sell passes of 7.00 for all you can drink all night game.
do not let out side drinks allowed in, get a deal with a local pizza place and get commission on large orders or discounts.

its OK to make a money off of a game store
go ahead you can do it!
if your going to sell games
look to by from overstock or amazon or even e-bay first!
you well actually get a better deal even if you go straight to the company and order off line if you order enough- set up pre-orders
do not go though a distributor honest this is the killing clown in the -industry!
most barely get you 50% off your books the poor game company rarely see more then 25% of the retail price.

table and chairs , comfortable the more comfortable the chairs the longer the game. let no game go longer then 3.5 hours before a break- ask the GM to plan to break every 3.5 HOURS so they players can take a pit stop but also so they well take time to come buy more refreshments.
sell pickles and salty stuff so you can sell drinks.
make packaged deals
popcorn and a drink for 1.50
or gamers all niter 10.99 all night popcorn and Drinks.
or 14.98 three popcorn all cup drinks and a candy .
or something like that, these will increase your sells from 8% to 12% and cover the increase in electric bills <hopefully>

just some ideals from some one who has been there! and keep the games to the back of the store so as not to scare of the newbie types who come through the door.
honestly bathing is not an option! :D

EngrishBob
01-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Mesquite is a little out of my way, but it sounds like something I might want to check out. You still doing weekly games, and do you mind spectators?

HollywoodXtreme
01-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Games still going every Wednesday.

spotlight
01-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Good show Chris, but you forgot one little tidbit. NO CARPET in the gaming area. Those bad ol' spilled drinks and snacks can really muck up a nice carpet. Go for a hard wood floor or a thick plastic cover!
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Oh, by the way. I won't be making those game nights. No DART service for Mesquite. But I'll have a clear D.L. in a few more months.

ronpyatt
02-18-2009, 02:24 PM
I got a chance to stop by, and it is a very nice place: Video and Gaming store is right on target. Very convenient to drive to as it's right off of Highway 80 in Mesquite. And lots of parking. Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1GGLS_en-USUS292US303&sourceid=chrome&q=2110+N+Galloway+Ave,+Mesquite,+TX+75150&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=0V2cSeiNMYT6MsKhlZEF&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=image)

GoddessGood
02-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Eesh, I try not to go down that way because of all the construction. At a couple of points between here and there the lane division lines on 635 would just disappear for a few hundred feet. Is it less messy there? I haven't been by since mid January.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-18-2009, 11:32 PM
I so wish i lived closer, but as it is, the closest i get is Corpus Christi twice a year.