PDA

View Full Version : Talislanta

mathogre
11-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Greetings! Does anyone here play Talislanta? I just discovered it a couple of days ago, and it looks very cool and interesting. At present I'm just starting to learn about the game, but want to begin playing it as soon as possible.

http://www.talislanta.com/

What drew me to the game was this quote from the d20 Edition of the Talislanta book:

Many different roleplaying games go to great lengths to ensure a proper balance is maintained between characters of different types. Talislanta has never been one of those games.

The sheer number of playable races makes balancing them all impossible. Talislanta has always been about the setting and as such, matters of balance are largely ignored. The focus of Talislanta has been, and should be, about roleplaying. This means that certain character types might be less powerful in game terms, however this should have no bearing on the fun a player will have playing a lesser powered character. An Aeriad Botanomancer can be just as much fun to roleplay as a mighty Thrall or Kang warrior.

I'm hooked, and it's nearly time to roll some dice. ^_^

Grimwell
11-10-2006, 08:54 AM
I remember the early days of Taslanta where their ads in Dragon would say "NO ELVES!" as a hook. That never worked. Cool that you've found this site, I'm going to have to check it out.

mathogre
11-10-2006, 09:00 AM
Ha ha! There are still no elves (and their books state so on the back covers).

Malruhn
10-14-2007, 05:06 PM
I've played it for years - and I've modded most of the stuff over to D&D to keep players on their toes.

I recently found a way to introduce Thralls to my world - and now I can't wait for someone to play one!

pawsplay
10-25-2007, 09:06 AM
A classic. I have the fourth edition, and I recently acquired a copy of 2nd edition, perhaps my favorite.

gdmcbride
11-15-2007, 01:25 AM
I own and have played Talislanta. I once played a blue-skinned two-brained Sindarin alchemist. It was a blast.

I swagged Talislanta 4th edition and its first supplement, Midnight Realm, at the GAMA Trade Show a few years back. I've looked through it but haven't played it recently.

I was always annoyed by the no elves sales pitch. Yes, Talislanta has no race called elves, it just has pointy eared frivolous forest dwellers. But they have butterfly wings. See, wings! Those are TOTALLY not elves.

Gary

pawsplay
11-15-2007, 05:56 PM
The point isn't that elves are evil, but that the setting doesn't simply copy from other fantasy games. Muses also, for instance, are telepathic and don't use bows.

Drohem
11-27-2007, 10:22 PM
I have been interested in this game since its first edition back in 1987. I have played it several times and own all editions. I personally like the 2nd and 3rd editions best. The 2nd edition has a mass combat system and troop type descriptions. However, the 4th edition was a fresh and innovative revival of the game and setting; especially the magic rules.

Currently, it's in its 5th edition by Morrigan Press. I have ambivolent feelings about the 5th edition, so I'll keep my mouth shut on that subject.

I love the rich setting and details. I appreciate the menagerie of non-standard fantasy races and cultures. The original artwork by P.D. Breeding is top notch and one of the strong points of the original incarnations of the system.

Also, I like how Stephan Michael Sechi published books on Talislanta *before* the actual game system was published. The adventures of Tamerlin the mage hooked me on this world/system.

Shane
11-28-2007, 12:49 AM
I love Talislanta, especially 3rd (the white book). I own the 4th edition, too, but I didn't think it as good. I didn't realize there was a d20 version.

There's nothing quite like Talislanta. The feel, the mood... it's unique.

pawsplay
11-28-2007, 10:21 PM
I've noticed, people that started with 3e prefer it, people that start with other editions prefer any edition but 3rd. :)

Drohem
11-29-2007, 01:48 AM
I've noticed, people that started with 3e prefer it, people that start with other editions prefer any edition but 3rd. :)

The 3rd edition is the culmination and refinement of the 1st and 2nd editions. I like the 3rd edition because damage and spell damages are still random. In the 4th edition, damage is a fixed number, which I don't like much. Also, in the 4th edition your Magic and Combat Ratings are now a function of your racial package rather than an average of your Attributes, which I don't like much either. I prefer that the starting Magic and Combat Ratings are an average of several Attributes.

pawsplay
11-29-2007, 04:41 PM
See, I consider 3rd edition to be a substantial variation that moved away from some of the things I liked about 1st and 2nd. I consider 2nd to be the best edition, although 4th is more complete. I do prefer random damage, levels, etc. I do not, however, like 3e's schools of magic, which were a substantial change from how magic had been previously presented, the funky art, wild changes in how magical items were designed, etc.

kavvov
11-30-2007, 09:17 PM
I played 2nd & 3rd liked them both. I personally feel its possibly the most unique and thorough wolrd development I come across. I thought all the races had interesting backgrounds and such. I was disappointed however in the system. It felt like the designers put all their work into the background and not enough into the system. I am intrigued by the new D20 version. If it maintains the unique backgound while using the solid D20 system I would be very interested.

Drohem
11-30-2007, 09:24 PM
I played 2nd & 3rd liked them both. I personally feel its possibly the most unique and thorough wolrd development I come across. I thought all the races had interesting backgrounds and such. I was disappointed however in the system. It felt like the designers put all their work into the background and not enough into the system. I am intrigued by the new D20 version. If it maintains the unique backgound while using the solid D20 system I would be very interested.

d20 Talislanta is worth it if you enjoy the Talislantan mileu and the d20 system. Although, there is some work needed by the GM to flesh it out. It's a great starting point though for a d20 Talislantan campaign.

cplhagan
03-08-2012, 02:06 AM
I have 4th edition, as well as the Midnight Realm book that goes with it. I finally have gotten a couple guys from my group interested, and I'm looking forward to trying it out. If I had to describe it in one word, the word would be "different". But different doesn't mean bad, so here's hoping...