PDA

View Full Version : EVE Online - RPG?

Soft Serve
01-02-2009, 07:39 AM
I'm sure a few people here have played or heard of EVE online.

Anybody tried making it into a tabletop game yet? That seems so interesting to me. I'd like one that took advantage of the planets more though. Like visitable, walkable, planets.

Also why do all the races seem so hardcore? Except I think a bloodline in the Gallente (I can't remember I only played Minmatar and complained at anybody playing an Amarr because I get into it like that :D) everybody was so extreme. "corporate this, slavery that, piracy is illegal, trading/mining is everything."

They need a race of people that would alone require a "no drinking while piloting" law throughout the galaxy.

sorry, that was a rant I needed to get out there.

But still...an EVE tabletop would make for an amazing game. Especially online like post or chat.

Also it seems to have a greater goal that everyone is very used too. Pick up and have a succesful life while trying not to get robbed blind by space pirates.

Or am I the only one afraid of space pilots?

Freejack
01-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Looks interesting but no, I've never heard of it. I'm not a MMORPG player though. I have a problem with a subscription based games like this.

Carl

MortonStromgal
01-02-2009, 10:52 AM
I know there are plans in the works for one since CCP bought White-Wolf. I'm not sure how far along they are though.

DungeonMaster
01-02-2009, 03:39 PM
I have spent many hours playing EVE but i tabletop of it sounds waaaaay too complaex

Soft Serve
01-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Well yeah. The galaxy map would be insane for anybody to try and throw together themselves.

So would time, damage, and all the other bits and pieces that went into EVE.

Still it'd be fun as hell to play.

Dark
01-02-2009, 05:27 PM
EVE was a great game and I had a blast playing it and would love to see it turned into a rules set perhaps using the D20 system. I for one would join a pbp if it surfaced. ;)

Etarnon
01-02-2009, 05:52 PM
My Traveller (at the local flgs) game is gonna have some of that large scale flavor of EVE...not with the eden gate, not with the specific races, but the shipping corps and all of that. EVE I think was highly influenced by Traveller.

But personally, When playing EVE, I'd rather play EVE, as I've done for 3 years now.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Well yeah. The galaxy map would be insane for anybody to try and throw together themselves.

So would time, damage, and all the other bits and pieces that went into EVE.

Still it'd be fun as hell to play.
Insane maps? Have you seen Traveller rpg? I believe EVE can be done, of course, i'm an optimist.

http://www.utzig.com/traveller/iai.shtml

http://www.travellermap.com/

Etarnon
01-02-2009, 06:47 PM
An EVE map could of course be done.

An EVE setting could be done. You would need to pick a region, and just copy over what local corps had offices where, in say 5 systems, and go for it.

Hardest part of EVE if you were true to it, would be all the ship tech, it;s way convoluted.

Thus, in my traveller, i'm gonna have somewhat of the eve capitalism flavor, while still using traveller, without all the microwarp drive, and webifiers and what not.

That's all there to give the game depth for crafting, and player retention.

Fitting a ship in eve takes me a good hour. I don't wanna do that in an RPG, I want to see the story, and a quick battle with missiles and lasers, and lots of roleplay.

Soft Serve
01-02-2009, 09:47 PM
see that's what I'm saying. I'm used to crafting games myself that come out very rules-light and unspecific themselves making the game about 90% roleplaying. EVE has potential to be much more then an MMORPG like it is. You could map out some space stations, some planet surfaces, flesh out a few NPC's, pirates, and other factions. Classes similar to Star Wars RPG. Like Bounty Hunters, Pilots, Medics, Engineers, or whatever else you want to throw in there.

I guess it really woulden't be that much different then making a homebrew modern game, mixed with star wars d20.

Plus limiting the size of it down to about 5 regions would be a golden idea.

I could get into this if someone else did it/ invited me to it. :laugh:

MortonStromgal
01-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Rumormil was that it was either going to be a d20 variant like McWOD or a Storyteller variant. I don't think they are in any rush though, unless the CCG is doing better than I thought.

Soft Serve
01-02-2009, 11:15 PM
See I like ordering my dominoes online.

I can watch the progress bar as they go from prep to bake to delivery.

Games need progress bars while they're in the making....

Etarnon
01-03-2009, 01:25 AM
I definitely see what you mean, Soft Serve, comma however, losing the ship fittings, etc.. that's half the flavor of it.

Maybe all you need is a good corporate intrigue / mining / pirates game set in D20 future or The d20 Future predecessor (IMHO better game too) Alternity, Progress level say 8 or something.

There are a handful of game systems I could name that would make that happen.

Just wouldn't be 100% EVE as RPG. Maybe EVE flavor.

I know my own corp (we got about 2 dozen people) flies Sinq Liason, Everyshore, Verge Vendor, Metropolis, And Heimatar, but 90% of our operations are in and around Sinq Liason in perhaps 5 to 10 systems.

Is the flavor of EVE you like because it's EVE, or because you just want to do some far future space flying and Roleplaying?

I know what you mean about walkable stations and such. It would be nice to do a bit more negotiating with agents, more storyline, a active DM running the deal instead of all preset agent convos....

Just wondering what you are looking for, specifically that interests you about EVE?

I like it because the trading, flying a freighter over many jumps, and the mining, flying to docks, dealing with agents as patrons...feels a hell of a lot like Traveller, only EVE has a LOT more specific tech and modules, and ways to fit a ship.

I like the EVE space graphics, the little encounter sites of wrecked ships, lost artifacts, dead ships floating, burned out asteroids, weird phenomena, deadspace encounters, and the electronica music.

That's what I get out of it.

The EVE combat, I could actually care less about, and do without, in EVE.

Soft Serve
01-03-2009, 04:44 AM
Oh man. I loved that, all I did was trade/mine in EVE before I had to quit. (Real life school and moving got in the way. Just had to let the subscription die...)

But I loved that you had to know and be equiped for a fight no matter where you were or what was going on thanks to EVE's natural feeling and flow.

You had to know what to do, or lose everything you had. I loved that threat.

......sometimes....

Dark
01-03-2009, 09:49 AM
You could also use the future D20 rules as well.

trechriron
01-28-2009, 07:13 PM
There is a tabletop RPG int he works from White Wolf using a modified Storytelling system (ala nWOD).

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=407398

It's very secretive but sounds cool. :D

Soft Serve
01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
haha everyone there is just as confused about it as I am though. I really hope it comes out character-centered. If it doesn't then I'll just have to make my own, but with three games running now (and only 2-4 players for any of them *winkwink to any potential players who read this*:D) I can wait until they realease it in a few months before building another system from the ground up....again.

straxus
02-20-2012, 05:21 PM
I know I am resurrecting a long dead thread, though I am curious if anyone out there ever put together their own EVE rpg or a campaign inspired by one.
At one time I ran a GURPS 3rd edition campaign inspired by eve, though it didn't go that far.