PDA

View Full Version : Ever ruined your DM's plans? (or vice versa)

ChaunceyK
12-31-2008, 03:01 AM
Have you ever played something so amazingly well, that the DM was just blown away by how easily you dispatched his great plan? Or vice versa, if you're a DM who's listened to your players discussing in great detail exactly how they were going to play something off, just for them to totally get wrecked in the process?

One time when I was playing back in the 80's, we were in a town-based adventure...much more role-playing than there was battle. We were honorary guardians of the town for that adventure, because of our involvement in trying to help solve a high-society crime (and yes, this was D&D).

So we're wandering around town when we spot three thugs who were "wanted in connection with the crime." We yell for them to stop, and they start firing arrows at us. Well, they started combat, so we were intent on finishing it. Out come the weapons & magic.

After a bit of battle, they take off running around a corner. So we send our war dogs after them...along with some magic missiles...and we cast Hold Person on one of them.

All three of them were weakened already by then. One was killed by the magic missiles, another by the two dogs because we sicked them on him (not thinking to simply have them "retrieve" him by chasing him back to us), and the 3rd is on the ground paralyzed.

We go over to the only live one left, who claims to be dying & unable to give us any details on what we want to know. We figure "Ok, we've got him surrounded, we'll heal him & then he'll HAVE to talk!" No sooner do we heal him and he jumps up, pushes his way through us (yeah, we weren't expecting it, so we were SURPRISED), and he bolts around the corner were his buddies died.

By now, we're pissed, so we just out & out killed him with arrows, dogs, and more magic missiles.

The DM, who was just shaking his head through all this & seemed genuinely unprepared for our killing these 3 (we figured better to kill them than let them get away), gave us a treat after the adventure was over. He showed us the street-map that he had made just for that one event. It was meant to be an elaborate chase throughout the town streets, complete with knocking over applecarts & those sort of shenanigans. It was meant to be something fun & different for us....AND WE RUINED IT!!

In a sense, not only did we ruin the DM's plans for us, we kinda ruined it for ourselves! :redface:

Etarnon
12-31-2008, 05:17 AM
I had a group playing battletech one time in the early 90's where they were assigned as a perimeter guard merc force to defend a planet in case of invasion.

They had a half-company of 6 'Mechs, and an air lance which is a pair of fighters. The pay was okay, and they got parts and ammo and repairs as part of the deal.

Well sure enough the enemy front moved closer and closer, and the planet got hit by a battalion (36 units) of 'Mechs.

So these good guys come up with this plan to station the allied mechs all around the main base.

The good guys then moved to guard the much smaller supply base, but it was gonna be augmented with 6 extra mock up dummy mecha... they thought to...I guess... deter the enemy.

So all the defenders dig in, and place land mines, via hidden placement, which I as ref do not see till the bad guy units step on one.

So the enemy force splits up, has 2 companies of 12 each attack the main base allied positions, and 12 attack the secondary supply base...where the "Good guys" were at...outnumbered now at 2 to 1, since the fake mecha had no weapons, nor pilots.

So now the good guys are outnumbered, 2:1, going "holy hell, batman!" sitting in dug in pits, while hostile mechs are touching down all around. A few land on land mines and lose mecha legs, as they land, as good guys cheer....this seems to be a good omen.

That is, until the bad guys organize and rally, and start marching.

Mass combat and slaughter at close range ensues, with the good guys doing pretty well actually, but a few getting overrun, and the supply dump taking massive fire, pretty much unopposed.

The fight goes on. The good guys holding only because of dug in positions, and access to water to cool their 'mechs. More damage to the armored and concreted supply bunkers.

A few lucky hits by good guys and the ammo magazine on one of the enemy short range missile mechs blows, and it goes up in a fireball, but the enemy is gaining ground. More good guy cheers.

The fight goes on.

With mostly every unit on both sides batterred and damaged, In desperation, the good guys call in an air strike by their 2 air unit guys and 4 more from the force they are assisting...right on top of themselves, in danger close contact with the enemy.

So the allied force pilots come in and slam their attacks home, getting critical engine hits, and coring out the center of the fusion reactor on the enemy XO, whose warhammer 'Mech promptly goes nuclear on a rare (Mike Stackpole rule) roll.

*Poof* goes the allied fighters, incinerated overhead. *poof* goes a good guy 'mech, head blown off.

The blast ring sweeps out in a circle, knocking down good and bad guy mecha alike. A good guy mech loses both arms in the fall, and a bad guy mech has it's back damaged by fragments, and it's engine dies.

BUT, (flying nearby) The 2 good guys planes get hit and one crashes ... right into the ammo / supply dump...that they were guarding...making a "really big boom." lol

Out of the good guy force of 6, plus 2 air, they lose 2 pilots dead, one air mechpilot dead, one air mech pilot alive, in a severly damaged air unit, and the other 4 guys severely wounded, with the enemy driven back, the supply base incinerated and smoking, and the main base heavily damaged.

They considered it a win...which I guess it was.

DMMike
01-01-2009, 12:20 AM
I spent what had to be an hour or two working on a villain to torment my players. He was supposed to be a skilled, exotic-weapon wielder who could hold his own against the PCs, put some damage on them and then escape to do it again later...

...but instead of escaping, he was surrounded in an alley and beaten to a bloody pulp. I'm still sore about it, but I learned that a recurring villain should either be several levels above the PCs, or have lots of friends to cover his escape.

Banshee
01-01-2009, 02:13 AM
Nearly my entire gaming experience seems to have followed the path of imploding the careful planning of the GM.

About a year ago, when I was running a D&D campaign for a small group of longtime friends, I discovered that the best laid plans often come to ruin. Maybe ruin is a bad word to use- we certainly did have fun in playing the game, and that is, afterall, what it's all about- but each time the players faced a choice or came to a turning point in the game, they ALWAYS chose the least obvious, most difficult, most painful, etc of ways! As I said, it was FUN, but I found myself at times dreading what the players would do next! LOL.

For example, the party's fighter, who was also a member of the town guard, decided to become a 'dirty cop'. He began extorting businesses along his patrol route. He had the worst luck (via dice rolls) and found himself being bailed out of sticky situations by the others.

The swashbuckler was frequently offended by anyone and everyone, and whenever he fought someone (which was frequently) that NPC usually ended up dead. It didn't matter that the NPC in question was also the key to the introduction of a new plot hook, he or she often ended up as a scattered pool of eviscerated organs lying in the dusty street.

And then there was the Halfling rogue. The Halfling rogue who wanted to become the head of the Thieves' Guild- right now. How would he achieve those means, one might ask? Oh, by becoming a pimp, that's how!

Ridiculously funny, I have to admit. I miss playing with those guys. When you consider that the object of the campaign was to discover and later defeat this demon-worshipping cult on this particular island, the motives of the players were often at odds with the storyline. Fun, but still annoying at times in terms of devising an outline and path for the campaign.

Grimwell
01-01-2009, 01:06 PM
I've always found the experience of GM'ing to be a patterin in which one carefully lays out plans, plots, and activities that his players will then ignore or punch a hole through in a matter of seconds. To my experience, the sign of a solid GM is that he will laugh when this happens and roll with it. Hours and hours of plotting and planning before the game are for fun, running from the seat of ones pants as things go wrong is the execution. :)

InvestFDC
01-01-2009, 04:09 PM
While playing Tomb of Horrors our DM was dismayed that we wouldn't camp for the night in the tomb itself. We hiked about an hour out each night, no matter how far into the tomb we were. Naturally, we were supposed to be attacked every night while we slept in the tomb but, come on. Anything that has the words tomb and horrors in the name is not going to be like sleeping at the Holiday Inn.

darthseb
01-01-2009, 05:46 PM
In my last campaign, the DM had an evil elf chick start to look suspicious. Once we figured out the evil stuff she had done, we followed her. We found her holed up in a small house not far from our main town. The DM told us later that he intended for her to escape the house to fight another day, but because I burned it down with her inside, he had to plan everything again. He still resurrected her as a ghostie in the final fight. To 'reward' me for ruining his plan, he made my character's mentors 'my bosses,' and they were MINIONS! Imagine, having to chop down the only real father figure your character had and the fight isn't even very interesting.

Malruhn
01-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Back in 1st Edition AD&D, we were using a house rule for critical hits. The party had been killing off dragons and having a great time... but they finally got the attention of Tiamat. She gets ticked off and sends her huge, venerable red dragon consort to kill the group. It comes in for a breath attack and the party rogue lets loose with an arrow.

Natural 20.

Natural 20.

Natural 20.

Natural 20.

Natural 20.

Natural 20.

Natural 20.

Seven phreaking natural 20's rolled into the top of a shoe-box in the middle of the gaming table with six witnesses.

Damnable dragon didn't do any damage to anything other than a huge blood-smear in the battlefield.

I have never been so thoroughly screwed by a party and a single attack before or since - and I've been playing for 28 years.

Banshee
01-02-2009, 01:45 AM
WOW! Seven Natural 20's! I would have had to have kept on rolling until I broke the trend.

That is awesome for the rogue, but a jaw dropper for the DM!
--- Merged from Double Post ---

While playing Tomb of Horrors our DM was dismayed that we wouldn't camp for the night in the tomb itself. We hiked about an hour out each night, no matter how far into the tomb we were. Naturally, we were supposed to be attacked every night while we slept in the tomb but, come on. Anything that has the words tomb and horrors in the name is not going to be like sleeping at the Holiday Inn.

Oh man that was funny! Yeah, it's kinda funny when thigs don't go quite as planned. It's especially funny later, after all is said and done, when you learn the reasoning behind the decisions! :lol:

gdmcbride
01-02-2009, 02:22 AM
We had a term for doing something off the wall and unpredictable -- "Going to Rome to talk to the Pope."

The PCs were in England investigating a haunting and some seemingly supernatural murders. They wanted to talk to someone who knew about possession and ghosts. They decided on -- the Pope. And were off to Italy that night...

The Cultists who were trying to eliminate them and were faking the hauntings followed them on to the cross-european rail line and what had been a haunted house adventure turned into 'Horror on the Orient Express'.

You gotta roll with the punches.

Gary

InvestFDC
01-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Shadowrun seemd particularly conducive to story derailment. Phoenix shaman chases the bad guy out of the night club onto busy street , bad guy jumps into armored limo. Shaman fire one blast of buck shot from the auto-shotgun into the glass and it ricochets. "Naturally", he thought that this is a job for full-auto.

So he's basically stripping the paint off this armored limo but the it was all the bystanders on the busy city street getting blasted by OO buck pellets that was the problem. I mentioned all the collateral damage and he said it was "the price of eliminating a public menace." A quick perusal of the Phoenix totem description descibes someone who is out to protect the innocent at all costs, somewhat a pacifist and a generally good person.

I love people who don't read their professions before making a character. Anyway, the shadowrun team that the Phoenix Totem hired to come get him said to him "Your totem says thank you and you don't owe him no favors!" BLAM, BLAM, BLAM.

cplmac
01-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Our last game session had the party get attacked by 6 Ogres. Three each coming at them from around an enormous stone. As luck was on the party's side that night, at least 90% of their attack rolls were 17 or better, to include more natural 20s than had been rolled in the previous 6 sessions combined. The first ogre that is killed falls onto the one beside it and pins it under the dead body. When I rolled to see which way the pinned ogre was facing, the dice again favored the party and it had its back toward them. Of course this allowed the groups halfling thief to make a backstab attack. Yep, you guessed it, natural 20 on the attack roll while holding her short sword. Going with the adjustments, the damage roll gets multiplied by 4 for the backstab and then doubled for the natural 20. Wouldn't you know it, the damage roll was also the max result, which did more damage than the ogre had hit points. I ruled that since it was the theif's short sword, that she was able to catch the ogres vital organs and thus killed it. Didn't take them long to finish off the last one on that side and then focus all the party on the two remaining on the other side. A battle that I thought was going to take awhile to play out was done in less than 30 minutes.

The next encouter was with 2 Stone Giants. Figured that this would really take a bit of time to get through this battle, but the party went diplomatic on me and didn't fight them, instead they negotiated with them and gained a scroll.

So much for two "big" battle encounters.

vic_kidd
01-02-2009, 11:53 AM
The group I had back in the Seattle area, we took great pride in torturing the DM.....:D. The poor guy had a story line that involved the Zents, in which they would damage ships and then the guy that owned the drydock would hold the ship for ransom (he was part of the Zentarium). We approched the captain of one of these ships as we needed a lift acrossed the sea. He told us about what was going on so I went and started torture the owner of the drydock...who decided to die after I tortured the him. I took over the drydock facilities. The DM made it a point to try and off me on a weekly bases after that....but that didn't happen for a long time as he would plan an ambush in one place and we would go another.....OMG it was a riot. :lol::laugh: Eventually he caught up to me and offed me about 8th level.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Ive seen it done with questionably-skilled DM's, but for a 'proven' DM, i find, is always prepared for whatever a clever character pulls out of his... hat.

I, myself, prefer the clever players. In fact, i reward 'clever' in my games.

Banshee
01-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah, cleverness shold be rewarded for actions during a game. When all you do is gain experience by defeating monsters and getting treeasure, the game tends to become a little bland.

I used to have a once per game award of 100XP. This was given to the player whose character performed the most off the wall antics but which also proved to be somehow useful (whether or not that was the intention) to the story. Of course I never let the awarded player know 'why' I had made that award- I wanted to discourage a Pavolv's dog effect.

Grandore The Giant Killer
01-05-2009, 01:12 AM
The one thing I did that royally thrown my DM into a loop was with my character Grandore The Giant Killer. This is going to sound absolutely ridiculous. Ok I was sent out on a mission by a spell keeper to spy on the vampires and report back what was happening. I received an amulet that leaves your heartbeat undetectable so they wouldn't be able to detect me. I also slipped on the shall of a Dread Wraith I slaughtered. So I spyed on them and it was that time for everyone to go back into the castle. Curiousity over critical thinking got the better of me and so I slipped into the castle with everyone else. Am I glad I did because the Paladin king of my church was captured and was on the chopping block. Now keep in mind there was about 160 Vampires in this room. I pulled out an item called The Crystal Of Illumination and filled the whole entire room with light absolutely frying the entire army. I rushed over and cut the king free and ran into another room. Where some prisoners were. A Vampire guard came in and I acted like I was taking the Paladin to meet his maker. The guard started to walk away and that was when I decapitated the guy. In this room there were other hostages 3 of them being the kings' daughters. I set the hostages free and looked around the room for a bit. I looked at the set of armor in the room and there was a hole in the chest area. So I cut open the vampire I killed and ripped his heart out and put it in the armor. After I did that a set of stairs opened up in the floor. We followed down the path and went through some rooms. One of the rooms had a bone Golem in it which I butchered up leading the way. It was then I came across another room with a sleeping dragon hanging upsidedown on the ceiling. This dragon was a vampire dragon called Vengence. The DM was cursing up a storm because he rolled bad and so we snuck past with me laughing saying "Boy ole Vengence must be in a Thanksgiving blood coma". I lead the party down another hall and it came to a Blood Lord guarding some hole. I basically got into an argument with the dark creature and It was then I told one of the daughters to pull a switch I spotted. She pulled it and it opened a hole outside leading to the streets in the middle of the city. The light poured in and turned The Blood Lord to ash. Everyone escaped fine and I was blessed by Peylor for my deed of bravery. My DM though just sat there and held his head. Apparently The king was supposed to die and his son was going to avenge his dad's death starting a whole entire war with the dark kingdom. Well I single handedly fried the dark kingdom's army. I also made sure to rip the pot hole off the middle of the street. I took the Paladin army to the hole and they went in and absolutely butchered what was left. As for Vengence... The Dragon was tied down and burnt alive in the middle of town.

ChaunceyK
01-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Niiiiiiiiice...lol.

InvestFDC
01-05-2009, 03:52 PM
And the daughters??? How does this adventure end? :))

DMMike
01-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Let's be careful not to take credit for ruining the DM's plans when the DM ruins his own plans - which usually happens by giving the PCs stronger magical items or more levels than the DM can handle.

InvestFDC
01-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Monte Hall lives on...

Banshee
01-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Let's be careful not to take credit for ruining the DM's plans when the DM ruins his own plans - which usually happens by giving the PCs stronger magical items or more levels than the DM can handle.

Ah, yes. Unfortunately I have been down this road before. One time in particular, I thought it would be a nice touch to introduce an intelligent sword to the players so that they'd have an edge on the competition which I was about to step up. Well, sword in hand, the fighter character became the defacto tyrant of the town nearest the dungeon in which the sword was found. I had a heck of a time trying to "convince" the party that it was best they moved on to greener pastures. All in all, it was fun... tiring, but fun.

cplmac
01-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Presently it seems that a few of the encounters haven't been that overly difficult for the party, but then, they haven't found the caverns yet. Then there is my ever elussive Drow elf that makes an appearance every so often. Curious to see what their reaction is the next time that they see him? I am waiting to see if they can make him mad enough to go get some assistance.

Talmek
01-11-2009, 03:20 PM
This was a plot of mine that was foiled by one of my players (who just so happened to be my best friend as well).

Nearing the end of an extensive dungeon crawl, my friend and his cohorts are in the hallway to the final room of the dungeon where the BBEG and his crew are. He was a mid-level sorcerer/dragon disciple (3.5e) that up to this point was still learning what his capabilities were. I had already planned out an encounter between the players and the group of bad guys that was going to be an exhaustive battle, endangering at least one if not more of the players' lives.

Anywho, the SOR/DD for some reason takes point in the hallway. I have him roll a move silently check which he botches. The bad guys hear them coming and open the door. I have everyone roll initiative, with the SOR/DD winning first turn.

He opens with a medium ranged attack with a tanglefoot bag, nailing the roll and effectively gluing the first minion to the floor inside the doorway leading out to the hallway. Minion failed his reflex and is stuck, also blocking others from exiting the room and getting into the hallway. I then have all minions and BBEG himself roll tumble checks past him, which they all promptly fail.

Next round, he lets loose with...you guessed it...FIREBALL! Now, keep in mind I have multiple minions and the BBEG stacked up next to the entangled minion in the doorway from their failed tumble checks. From what I remember my friend didn't roll MAXIMUM damage, but it was close enough to drop all four minions of the same level and severely damage the BBEG. On the BBEG's turn he moves into the hallway and (bad thinking on my part) wants to execute a touch attack on my SOR/DD, but not before provoking an attack of opportunity. SOR/DD crits, and drops my BBEG that had a two-page backstory and was a recurring villain in the campaign.

*SIGH* I was so mad about it I literally had to stop the game, get up and walk around for a bit, much to my best friend's laughter and pointing.

In retrospect I probably could have designed an encounter more advantageous to my BBEG, but I guess I deserved it. I had added in a necromantic effect that was going to sap CON every round the group was in the room!

That's my story.

Rochin
01-11-2009, 04:49 PM
My DM for a Spirit of the Centuary game a Fate type game had a epic battle set up in a volcano with one of the big baddies for his masks of nyarlathotep. Well I was playing a big russian stongman, the comic relief and meat shield of the party. Anyway I ended up trapped along the seaside after some massive collaspe. After digging myself free and finding a lava tunnel, I went to see where it went. It ended up at the bottom of the platform inside the bad guy base that held his time traveling/trans-dimensional ship. I decided that a heroic death was in the works and took an uber magic gernade (stolen from a fellow PC) tore a hole in the metal workings and stood there to blow myself up. It blew me up, the base, the ship and made the volcano explode. The look I got from my DM was one of amazement as he didnt know where to go from there. It was priceless. So if your in a game with some guy with a crazy look in his eye and he says "Boris has a crazy plan." or "Boris go boom!" just run, run hard and run fast, stuff is going to end poorly.

nijineko
01-20-2009, 06:57 PM
here is a quoted excerpt of a series of posts that i had on another forum, i feel that this story fits the theme of plan-wrecking to a degree.

...he continues his adventures by wandering the world and finally into an oriental-type part of the world. he is following the road towards a town when overhead a blue dragon flies by, spooking his horse. heading right towards the town. a wounded blue dragon.... a town famous for it's healing spring.... did i mention that he happens to have a dragon-slaying sword keyed to blue dragons? next chapter: "how to take on a really big dragon 'single-handedly' and live to tell the tale!"

so. where were we in our interesting tale... oh, yes. having finally gotten his horse under control, the intrepid hero continues heading towards the town. arriving some hours later, he secures lodging for his horse and himself and begins sounding out the surronding town. his efforts, however, tip his hand and soon a rumor is sweeping the town that he is planning on saving the town from the dragon singlehandedly!! needless to say, this was not quite his intention when he began asking questions about the dragon and the town's defenses and likely response. soon a crowd gathers and accosts him, proclaiming him their savior, and pleading for help from the dragon. the rather pretty girl with the scornful look in her eyes and a demeanor most negitive (who also happened to be one of the two town mages) had nothing to do with his acquesience.

really.

honestly.

okay, maybe a little to do with it. (sheesh. give a guy a break. so he wanted to prove her wrong. =P)

discovering that the other town mage was her mother and that the two of them were very much on the outs with each other didn't help much. especially after it came to light that the town was pretty much divided between thier two opinions. (good grief, now i've gotta mend a family, sway the two differening camps of thought into something ressembling agreement, and save the town from the dragon. all in a weeks work. aiya!)

so after a rather public request, which he felt he couldn't refuse, he accepted upon condition of assistance from the town. which assistance would not be made a point of in front of the dragon. of course. some of the town figured that tithing to the dragon would not be too bad and didn't want to make it angry and revengeful, the other group wanted to kick it out back where it came from. i negotiated a deal where i would appear to represent the minority who wished to fight the dragon, and would challenge it to single combat. making it clear to the dragon that the majority of the town was against this, and figured to get rid of me and my noisy 'bad' influence by sending me off to fight with the dragon.... this more or less appeased the 'kiss up to the dragon' group. and of course, made the 'kill the dragon' group happy. so with that i begin gathering my 'assistance'.

figuring that my story of a disgruntled reactionary villager would not fly with my non-oriental features, i first requested some appropriate garb, as well as a make-over to make me look as close as possible with disguise efforts. layering on top of that a disguise self, and some practice with the accent was the best i could do in the week or two i had. (did i mention the dragon's deadline for a tribute from the town as a gesture of good faith?)

to be continued in part two of "how to kill a dragon single-handedly (almost)!"

so i begin wandering around town getting errands done. here's what my to-do list might have looked like.

1) hire the weaponsmith to attach an ~3' steel pole to the hilt of my dragonslaying sword (blue) +2, such that it will be balanced somewhat forward of the middle of the new length. should end up with something like a modified longspear.

2) buy and have fitted some clothing typical of the local townspeople.

3) speak to the owner of the largest herd of cattle, and acquire two of them, with a double-yoke included. nice fat cattle, not scrawny little ones.

4) keep that daughter away from the mother! good grief they can argue.... send her on a 'diplomatic' mission to find an old veteran that still lives in the town and arrange for a meeting. show suitable respect!

4 & 1/2) not a to-do item per se, but discovered that the mother is not, in fact, a mage, but a cleric. and not just any cleric, but the high priestess of the local religion. to whom the healing pool in question belonged. putting a whole religious spin on the little family quarrel. lovely.

5) follow up on the weaponsmith, and see how it is coming along. finding that he is already finished, i commission the next item- a wide mouthed bell-shaped piece to be attached to the sword, surrounding the original hilt, and open at the bottom.

6) buy about a pound of loose unwoven carded cotton from the weaver.

7) go talk to the herdowner in person and convince him that, yes, this is really necessary for the salvation of the town, and wouldn't he rather give up two cattle instead of his whole herd to the dragon?

8 ) meet with the aformentioned veteran, and indicate that my sword is not going to be available to me, and would he happen to have a sword whose honor demands that it be carried into combat against this foe on his behalf? and would he be pleased to train me in how to use it properly? begin meeting with him for several hours each morning and evening.

9) send the daughter off on another errand (my, but she's cute when she's angry, *erhm* she sure is angry an awful lot!) this time to find a child who owns a toy wagon, and who would be willing to give it up for the purpose of slaying the dragon. we hold a solemn ceremony to paint the wagon with it's new dragonslaying colors. daughter seems impressed with how well i get along with children.

10) visit the leather worker to commission a custom harness made of straps. pick up some wicks and tallow from a nearby candlery, and some common lamp oil.

11) meeting with the mother to reassure her that, yes, i really do have an idea for how to slay the dragon. discover that she, like most somewhat estranged parents just want what is best for her daughter, was disappointed that she did not follow in her footsteps into the clergy-but persued what seemed to be a waste of time back then studying arcane arts... but now she just wants to be able to talk to her daughter again; doesn't know how to overcome her pride, or how to take back all the previous years of angry arguments. oh, and by the way, does this town have an alchemist?

12) meeting with the rest of the town council to convince them of my sanity and viable plan. propose that an order of celebration fireworks is put into the town alchemist, and the word spread about confidence in victory. planning for a celebration is begun. (as in, distract the suits so i can work, already!)

13) follow up on the smith again, this time to commission a tube about four feet long, hollow and completly open at one end with a hole in the seam about two handspans from the end, and a bulb at the far end, one side of the bulb flattened at an odd angle. on this tube are welded some handhold-like metal pegs all along it's length. several thinly beaten layers are welded around the assemblely for strength before the pegs are added. noting the nice thinly beaten layers, i ask him to add a few triangular blades to my highly modified sword just about where the hilt and the bell join. this appears to be able to be done by just under the deadline. i'm actually helping him forge the thing, acting as a mostly unskilled apprentice. daughter's expectations of the haughty stuck-up won't get his hands dirty hero seem to have been somewhat shattered.

14) visit the alchemist and convince him to part with some of the fireworks, along with handling instructions and assurances that i'm not interested in the secrets of making the fireworks, i'm just trying to get the dragon.

15) and so at long last i have gathered all the tools i need to successfully (i hope) slay the dragon. http://gametable.galactanet.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

(to be continued next time in chapter three: "how to (maybe) kill a dragon with a mastercard commercial.")

as promised, your commercial:

hiring a weaponsmith to make some radical modifications to your sword of (blue) dragonslaying +2: 30gp.

traditional native garb with accompaning makeover: 10gp 2sp.

a brace of cattle with yoke: 35gp.

a pound of cotton: 2gp.

hiring the leatherworker to make a custom leather harness: 25gp.

tallow, wicks and some lamp oil: 4gp.

hiring the smith to make a big hollow metal tube with a hole punched in the side a flat bottom and pegs welded to it: 150gp.

buying some fireworks from the local alchemist: 200gp.

training in how to walk, talk, act, and swordfight like a native: free, courtesy of fear of being eaten by a dragon.

the look on your dungeonmaster's face when: you open the fireworks, pour the almost all the powder down into the tube followed by the cotton, roll the leftover powder into the lampoil soaked wicks and coat them in tallow sealing the hole in the side with an improvised wick, placing the flat bottom on the child's wagon so that it will move freely with the oxen, attaching the tube with the leather harness to the yoke of oxen, having the local mage cast invisibility and the local cleric cast silence upon the whole contraption, and he suddenly realizes that you've managed to build a working cannon out of your dragonslaying sword right under his nose:

oh so very, very, priceless.

honestly... he should have know something was up when i started inquiring about the technology level of the 'pseudo oriental' setting, especially when i worked a reference to fireworks in to my various questions.... *^^*

in fact, he probably did know 'something' was up, he was rather suspicious, but i kept distracting him by rp'ing each and every single npc encounter in obsessive detail... so he was somewhat distracted by coming up with all these random npcs that i kept running to. ^^

to his credit, once he recovered, he ruled that this was a one time inspiration from the gods and it was not to be attempted again, thank you (dm-ly glare.) =D and he made me roll not only a to-hit roll, but a miss chance with the weapon, and a possible outright explosion chance to boot. lucky for me, i made them all. =D

Webhead
01-21-2009, 09:43 AM
...to his credit, once he recovered, he ruled that this was a one time inspiration from the gods and it was not to be attempted again, thank you (dm-ly glare.) =D and he made me roll not only a to-hit roll, but a miss chance with the weapon, and a possible outright explosion chance to boot. lucky for me, i made them all. =D

That sounds about right. The old Cyberpunk addage: there are no free rides.

Reminds me of the "Boo-blaster" that one of the PCs (a Wookiee named Boo'kar) whipped up in a Star Wars campaign. It was a wrist-mounted weapon of his own design but something (he wasn't sure what at the time) wasn't right about it after it was completed. Rather than take it apart and start all over again, he decided to live with whatever consequences may come.

For the rest of the campaign every time he used it, I made it obvious that I was paying close attention to what he rolled on his Wild Die. He tended to save the Boo-blaster as a last resort. Finally, the die comes up a "1" and it begins to make a terrible whining sound. Boo'kar quickly took it off and threw it down a nearby elevator shaft where it promptly exploded (incidentally disabling the elevator that their enemies were riding in). He felt vindicated that the Boo-blaster's final moments still ended up serving the party well.

nijineko
01-21-2009, 02:50 PM
he was (and is) a good dm. =D

Malruhn
01-21-2009, 06:27 PM
An old friend had a DM-killer character that he tried to bring into everyone's campaign. Ludwig the Lich.

Ludwig was a 142nd level Wizard - who had been apprenticed under Dr. Strange from the Marvel World. And, no, I'm not lying.

He had all the spells in the PHB, no matter what class - and all of them were also modified down to be able to be cast in only one segment (essentially a free action in 3.5 terms). Oh - and all the spells had three versions - regular (per the book, except for the casting time), a verbal-component-only version, and a somatic-component-only version. He had also set up 25 mobile walls of force that were formed perfectly around his boney body - and all of them were permanent.

His lair was effectively set up like a modern missile silo, with a full library (with computers), a modern laboratory, and a museum that would rival the Smithsonian - all for material components and research purposes.

His sole purpose in life was basically to take over the DM's campaign world... and I watched him do it in three other DM's worlds. I allowed him into my world and got into cahoots with the other DM's, who set up the perfect plan to destroy Ludwig.

Luckily, they were successful (oh, we did this without the player there!!), and now, burried in my campaign world, is Ludwig's lair... waiting to be rediscovered.

EngrishBob
01-21-2009, 06:40 PM
In one campaign I was a Chaotic Good Dwarf Barbarian named Dorbin who took the hatred of orcs *very* seriously. The DM had introduced morality checks to this game, and had based it on the attributes / mods system. Basically we ranked | Lawful | Chaotic || Good | Evil |. Most of my points were in Chaotic and Good. If Good / Evil or Lawful / Chaotic were ever balanced, we'd be considered Neutral for that category, and if one had higher ranks than the other, we moved to that category. 3 failures on a roll would shift your alignment 1 point in the opposite direction.

1) "Die ye rotten beasties! Ye shall no' foul this hall agin!"
Enter the dungeon, we came across a few sick orcs who just wanted to be left alone. Yeah right. I had to roll a morality check to see if my hatred of orcs would overcome the fact that they were obviously helpless, and it would be wrong to beat them down. I failed miserably, so I of course ran charging in axe swinging. Knocked the first one out with one swing, and the second went down as the rest of the party arrived to stop me from murdering innocents... This was where I decided to go all-out with the orc hatred, and was the start of something magnificent. ^.^

2) I made it a habit of taking the skulls of the kobolds, orcs, and trogs we killed and fastening them to my armor. I used orc heads to make shoulderpads, kobolds for elbow guards, and a troglodyte head for a codpiece. At one point we felled an ogre, and I took his head to make a helmet. All in all it made for a rather intimidating looking dwarf. Once I had covered all the reasonable places with skulls I only took the heads of the important enemies, or the ones who really annoyed me.

Well, at one point we came across a bunch of orcs who wouldn't let us through... unless we brought them the head of the kobold champion. The DM knew we'd killed him long ago, but had forgotten that I gathered his head. So the bard says to the orcs, "Oh, sure. Give us five minutes and we'll kill him." The orcs gave him a surprised look, and he walked away. Five minutes later he took the head from me and held it up for the orcs to see. They ( and the GM ) were speechless, and we passed through with no fighting necessary. They were apparently supposed to be a large blockade that we were to find a way around, but my character threw that for a loop.

3) "Who are ye talkin to behind tha' door?"
We had by this time obliterated the Orc armies and their champion. We came across a room where there was something obviously blocking the door. I tried to push it open, but I couldn't budge it. The party wizard offered to make the door invisible so I could see what was on the other side, which was something the DM wasn't expecting. Door went *poof*, and I saw a very scared orc trying to keep himself from being killed. Instant rage. I had to roll my morality again, but I crit failed the check. However, I natural 20'd my door breaking (which, with my str mod, was enough to shatter the wooden door), and followed that up with another natural 20 with my wonderful greataxe. A very, *very* short battle ensued, and the orc went down before he could say anything. The DM pulled up the book and showed me that I had in fact just brutally slaughtered a named NPC, who had about a page worth of text, and would offer to guide us through the dungeon. Oops.

Webhead
01-21-2009, 06:45 PM
An old friend had a DM-killer character that he tried to bring into everyone's campaign. Ludwig the Lich.

Ludwig was a 142nd level Wizard - who had been apprenticed under Dr. Strange from the Marvel World. And, no, I'm not lying.

He had all the spells in the PHB, no matter what class - and all of them were also modified down to be able to be cast in only one segment (essentially a free action in 3.5 terms). Oh - and all the spells had three versions - regular (per the book, except for the casting time), a verbal-component-only version, and a somatic-component-only version. He had also set up 25 mobile walls of force that were formed perfectly around his boney body - and all of them were permanent.

His lair was effectively set up like a modern missile silo, with a full library (with computers), a modern laboratory, and a museum that would rival the Smithsonian - all for material components and research purposes.

His sole purpose in life was basically to take over the DM's campaign world... and I watched him do it in three other DM's worlds. I allowed him into my world and got into cahoots with the other DM's, who set up the perfect plan to destroy Ludwig.

Luckily, they were successful (oh, we did this without the player there!!), and now, burried in my campaign world, is Ludwig's lair... waiting to be rediscovered.

Yeah...I've got one word for that character: "No."

Of course, far more fun, I might be tempted to entertain the idea of allowing such a character into my game at which point I would keep him around until such time as he proved a threat to my campaign's integrity and I kindly put him in his place.

In the words of S. John Ross: "The GM is not God. God is one of his little NPCs."

Suzaku
01-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Does rallying the players to force the dm to switch back to 3.5 count?

Webhead
01-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Does rallying the players to force the dm to switch back to 3.5 count?

Most definately. :yuck:

tesral
01-22-2009, 05:15 AM
Yeah...I've got one word for that character: "No."

Of course, far more fun, I might be tempted to entertain the idea of allowing such a character into my game at which point I would keep him around until such time as he proved a threat to my campaign's integrity and I kindly put him in his place.

In the words of S. John Ross: "The GM is not God. God is one of his little NPCs."

And no again.

And it isn't hard to kill characters, it is simply hard to challenge them. Ludwig would last about five minutes. Long enough for Abba Eecreeana to notice him, strip him of the ability to do magic and stuff him in his temporal stasis holding pens for later amusement. BTW that would be no save.

Yes the god of magic is my little NPC.

superenna
01-22-2009, 09:22 AM
I definitely did. After a particularly hard battle, my character got on the phone with his boss and called a spade a spade: It was a setup. Apparently, that was a major plot device, and no one was supposed to know that. Blew the whole game apart.

kitsune1842
01-25-2009, 10:22 PM

Three words, Elder Force Dragon.
Then Six more, Elder Force Dragon's Prysmatic Dragon Mate

They are big, they are mean, and one of them can swim through however many walls of force that Ludwig creates without any problem.

Also, look at Compleat Arcane, the Prc Ardent Savant. All that one of them needs do is unmake those 25 fit walls of force, and blow the man to bits with his own protective spells.

canadiansatan
01-30-2009, 08:24 AM
In a cave vs the evil sorceror, the to be super challenging final boss with 3 times as much HP as it would have had as a player. My cleric got a higher initiative. I used my highest summon spell to summon a blue whale... over him.... squish

DMMike
01-31-2009, 11:30 AM
In a cave vs the evil sorceror, the to be super challenging final boss with 3 times as much HP as it would have had as a player. My cleric got a higher initiative. I used my highest summon spell to summon a blue whale... over him.... squish

This must be the school of summoning in which the summoned creatures appear involuntarily. Good combat tactic, bad for interplanar relations.

nijineko
01-31-2009, 11:32 PM
i can only imagine the negotiations that would have taken place after the fact, had that been some sort of planar ally effect.... would the ally get to name their own price, since they already performed the labor desired? hmmmm. sounds like a plot hook to me!

SpruceGoose
02-03-2009, 02:49 PM
My poor DM friend had made some multi-template vampire dragon npc boss with magic items and a high level to boot.

So you can imagine his irritation when a psionic character I had, used a power to teleport him outside of the temple we were in and into the daylight... poor guy:(

I love psionics.

nijineko
02-03-2009, 04:05 PM
wow, must have had a decent roll on your manifester level to overcome the dragons power resistance.

Drizzit red
02-04-2009, 07:48 AM
I learned real fast as a DM that the players will ALWAYS throw a wrench into your well laid out plans. That is why I only shell my quest ideas. I mean I have the monsters prepared in advance and the basic plot line figured out, but the rest I make up on the fly.

I sometimes work off comments by the players.

I had one quest where a player said "Boy it would be really cool if this were to happen" (don't remember what "this" was)...I thought to myself...WOW, that is a good idea. So about 15 minutes later the "this" happened.

If you think you have something dreamed up that will really throw your players for a loop, chances are a player will have something in the bottom of their bag of holding that they were saving for a time just like this.

On rare occasions, I come up with something that really stumps em, but most of the time they manage to pull something out of their hat.

Webhead
02-04-2009, 08:46 AM
...most of the time they manage to pull something out of their hat.

I would have used a different euphemism myself but I suppose "hat" works... ;)

nijineko
02-04-2009, 09:44 AM
nice nod to the ol' d&d saturday morning cartoon, though. ^^

tesral
02-04-2009, 12:24 PM
I learned real fast as a DM that the players will ALWAYS throw a wrench into your well laid out plans. That is why I only shell my quest ideas. I mean I have the monsters prepared in advance and the basic plot line figured out, but the rest I make up on the fly.

I sometimes work off comments by the players.

Oh yes. The old shuck and jive are required tools in any GMs toolbox. I've had more than one occasion where the players zigged instead of zagged and I had to make it up on the fly. Sometimes it was ever better than the route I had planned.

I had a straight up fight planned. a Lich was trying to get herself killed. She had arranged for some rich little evil girl to get her body stole when the Lich was destroyed. The old girl was tired of being a "bit" on the anorexic side and not having any of the luscious girl bits anymore.

So she set up a come and get me adventurers fight.

They did some research, found a good deal blocked and sought the aid of their patron. The interview wit the Lick was priceless.
"Why do you want to die?"
"I can't tell you, it won't work if I TELL you."

Finally she agreed to tell them if they would help her achieve her goal, get a living body, a young living body back.

The adventure turned into recovering the phylactery without anyone realizing what they were up to. Get into the noble's house, steal "little Miss Full-of-Herself's" headboard. Oh she was a piece of work. A total slut that dragged the furriest member of the party to bed on a whim. Then the next day when Daddy announced she was going to Woodmanor, away from all the servants she had wrapped around her finger she morphed (in the figurative sense) into the devil herself and threw a tantrum that had Raul, the dragged to bed party member, seeking to wash his fur off to get rid of the taint of her touching him. They discovered why the Lich had picked this one. Looks, youth, and a total witch with a B.

It wasn;t the adventure I wrote, but it was a good deal of fun.

Webhead
02-04-2009, 04:12 PM
...snippity...

Yes, this is the kind of stuff that players talk about for years afterward. It usually begins with a "Uh oh, I didn't plan for that to happen" from the GM. After that, it's usually a snowball-effect of player enthusiasm which begets a scene, which begets a sub-plot, which is goaded to become a main plotline by the players, which becomes an central theme of the entire campaign.

Yeah...it's happened to me before.

Malruhn
02-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Taking this thread to a side-topic for a moment, I've found that women have been able to thwart my plans much more often than guys have. I've figured this out thusly: I'm a guy... I think like a guy - and I know how most guys will react. I design my campaigns or scenarios with contingencies for guys...

And girls ain't guys.

I plan for guys to do plan A - and have contingencies for B, C and D - and maybe E for good measure. Then a female gamer comes along and does Q with a twist of V for good measure.

Personally, I like it - because the ladies keep me on my toes as a DM. I LIKE gaming with women!!

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread about thwarting DMish plans.

nijineko
02-04-2009, 09:08 PM
ah, that wasn't really a side-trek... after all, guys think they are the dm... girls know it. clash of the competing fantasies, really. ^^

RandomAct
02-06-2009, 10:19 PM
I actually hope for one of my players to "mess up" my plans. I have more than enough side-adventures and fun encounters to flesh out three whole campaigns from start to finish, so having one of my well thought out intrigues foiled for the sake of having a good time actually improves the campaign, and allows the characters to feel a sense of control. In fact, I'll often provide secret "shortcuts" that will allow the players turn a drawn out or potentially deadly fight into a one-round walk in the park. For example, I thought one of my villains might be a bit to tough for the players, so I had him standing in front of a window at the top of a tower, so that all a creative player would have to do was bull rush him out the window. Unfortunately, the campaign was high level enough that the fall didn't kill the guy, but it was fun to see all the players jump out the window after him.

nijineko
02-09-2009, 04:06 PM
mid air combat! some of the best. =D

RandomAct
02-09-2009, 05:45 PM
That campaign of mine had quite a bit of falling, I guess I'm just a fan of gravity

1958Fury
02-09-2009, 09:04 PM
I guess I'm just a fan of gravity

Me too; I use it every day.

tesral
02-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Me too; I use it every day.

I keep extra gravity in a drawer so I don't run out.

Webhead
02-10-2009, 06:07 PM
I keep extra gravity in a drawer so I don't run out.

(Best Charleton Heston impression):

"Gravity is PEOPLE!!!!"

cigamnogard
02-10-2009, 07:22 PM
On a regular basis my 'Mechwarrior campaign would do the unthinkable and totally derail the best laid plans - such as:
A/Duel between themselves but use a landmine to lower both characters health first!
B/Dive head first through a baracks window to avoid a guard patrol.
C/Attack the bouncer with a sword and cut his arm off. Too bad the bouncer worked at a yakusa bar...

Sneaksta
02-13-2009, 02:08 AM
Ok , here is THE biggest memory of my career....so far....

So, some groundwerk...
I'm 12 yrs old.. playing with my 17 yr old brother, his 18-19 yr old friends( 2 of em) and a DM at the time who was 30.

Ahem. ok. no problem. Dm was awesome, could roll with the punches , so to speak. I had him grumpy , pissed off, and prematurely ended the campaign... and here is what happened,.......

Group of 1st and 2nd level characters... My bro is a wizzie, his friends are various, cant remember.. hehe..

I am playing a 1st level theif, of all things...... Dm has us set up, we come home to a fair size town after a gnoll hunt, and find quite a pair of jerks laying waste from atop the town hall( a 5 storie stone building that had drained the city coffers dry, no less) get this... a Gith-yankee Knight and wizzie combo... here, all we could think was, ooohhhhh shiiiiiizzzz!!!!
so, while the rest of the ancients( aka older players) are trying to come up with a plan of attack, my theif sneaks off ( imagine that :biggrin:)

Climbs up the backside of the town hall, gets out my trusty rope, and throw a lasso over the head of this Gith-tankee knight( exceptional roll here)

well, what could i do??? you ask? I leave about 16 feet of slack, and jump off the side of the building!

( again got lucky rolls) and i will explain..... 15 foot drop, sudden stop. Said baddie was jerked headlong across the top of the building, headfirst into the roof ledge( 3d6 damage) went ok, I had to roll a str check to hold on to the rope at the stop( 12 str) lucky me i pull it off by the skin... Roof ledge breaks, freefall again 35 more feet, tell the dm i am gonna let go the rope, use my tumbling and such to hug the wall/try to slow my fall. (roll buddie!) whip out a good check, slow down, and still splat into the ground taking 4d6 damage( half since i rolled so good, and luckily the dm rolled crappy fall damage :) ) SPLAT. was at -3hp after that... the Gith-yankee however, took the full 5d6 fall, plus 3d6 for the roof ledge, and 2d6 for me initial 16 foot drop on the rope.! landed on his broken head, totally dead beside me. thankfully the party cleric was there to chant me back from the brink :hail:. The Gith-Yankee wizzie fled at that point. these 2 were to be the seeds of a long running back and forth battle, and I wrapped it all up inside 15 minutes! Gained 2 levels immediately, the DM was pissed, left, didnt hear from him in 2 weeks....

That was when i was hooked. And I leave you to ponder my forum sig :first:

ChaunceyK
02-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Gained 2 levels immediately, the DM was pissed, left, didnt hear from him in 2 weeks....

Great story, love your innovation! :clap2:

Gotta say though, to each his own, but I prefer a DM who wants his players to have fun & succeed. Not a DM who's a pushover & will break the rules for the players' benefit, I'm not saying that at all, but a DM who gets psyched when his players pull off an amazing play.

Sneaksta
02-13-2009, 09:35 AM
He did congratulate me later, but i think he was just so shocked at the moment, that he didn't know how to react...hehehe.. He was normally really good at going with our odd/fun plot breakers.. These were the base of the whole campaign he had planned for multi sessions, spanning enough till we level'd up enough to take em on. And I think it may have been the fact that I was 12, and it was my 2nd session ever...:cool:

nijineko
02-13-2009, 10:32 AM
kudos and congratulations on making great use of a situation! my friends and i applaud you. =D keep up the great work! ^^

Webhead
02-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I've been the GM in situations like that before and though it is annoying on some level, all I can do is feel wrapped up in their creativity and congratulate them for a such clever thinking. Becuase of a handful of such situations in my games, I have come to embrace the motto: "If it has stats, the PCs can (and very likely will) defeat it".

What? A party of four 5th-level PCs can't defeat a CR 14 monster with six CR 2 minions, you say? I've had it happen with no PC deaths.

One of the most memorable instances was in a Star Wars D6 campaign. Characters were involved in a scene at a club. Big bounty hunter was only trying to flee the scene for reasons the PCs were not aware of, using a hostage to clear his escape. No shots being fired, just a stand-off with security as he backs away. Large, beefy alien with fantastic skills, advanced weapons and armor and a bunch of unspent character points. He made Boba Fett look like a chump. PCs had no business trying to attack the guy. Several combat rounds later, he is unconcious, stripped of gear, tied up with towing cable with a speeder bike parked on top of him. Yes...if it has stats, no matter how high those stats are, the PCs can defeat it.

Likewise, if something has a difficulty number, no matter how high that number is, at least one of your PCs will succeed...just to spite you.

Vulture
02-14-2009, 08:55 AM
ive had my best plans ruined several times. i had built a ruined castle for my players to explore and i out a vampire lord in it. some how they managed to explore the entire castel and never woke the vampire lord, i think my dice were on strike...

cplmac
02-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Yep, the party did it again. This time it was the three magic users that pulled it off. They were confronted with what they thought was a pack of wolves, until two of them stood up and changed into their true form of wolfweres. They start giving orders to the wolves that are listening, since they noticed the ears perk up on the wolves. First the dwarf says whatever you do, don't get bit. The clerics cast bless and prayer. Next, the 8th level mage cast his Grease spell, of which none made the saving throw and were thus not able to move without slipping and falling. Then the 4th level mage throws a Web spell, which they are not able to dodge because of the grease spell. Now the 9th level mage uses his Fireball, which of course does it's own damage in addition the the extra damage caused by both the grease and the web catching on fire. Poof, all the attackers are dead. Another big encounter wiped up in less than 5 minutes. This group is both good and inovative, so I have increased the encounters that I have planned for when and if they reach the caverns.

nijineko
02-15-2009, 05:03 PM
awesome! =D wonder what they'll do when faced with fire resistant foes....

cigamnogard
02-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Our DM was convinced the during our last two sessions he picked up a feat he called:

- incompetent DM feat!

DragonPrince
02-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Yeah and I was the DM...He did think quickly on his feet and had me thinking of a new adventure to get the party going once again...But the mage did end up killin some of the party when it was time for them to meet in combat....But still my bro did an excellent job of thinkin in character mode and pplaying it to a T

Shadow Knight
02-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Playing AD&D, my 6th level thief definitely took on 8 orcs all by himself (not by choice). That was when I learned to *not* tumble into a room after opening a door. 2 of them slammed the door shut behind me and barred it while I used every Dex move I could think of to stab, slash, and trip them up. I eventually used a grappeling hook as a weapon and entangling them. After they were prone, I got several attacks of opportunity. When I finally got the door unbarred, the rest of party saw a room covered in blood and 8 corpses with no loot. :) I leveled twice in one night (after bonuses and the rest of the evening).

Sneaksta
02-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah and I was the DM...He did think quickly on his feet and had me thinking of a new adventure to get the party going once again...But the mage did end up killin some of the party when it was time for them to meet in combat....But still my bro did an excellent job of thinkin in character mode and pplaying it to a T

was referring to me :rockon:

DragonPrince
02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Don't let it go to your head Bro...I could also mention the times where u killed the party by not running your character correctly (or not caring) by setting of easy traps...LOL

Sneaksta
02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Usually didn't care, because the other players werefalling into munchkinism, or treating me like shiat already... thats why i screw the pooch and got em killed... hoped they would learn to treat the party rogue with at least a Little respect... :lol:

and you know the few i was referring to.....

cplmac
02-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Not actually on topic, but yes, each character will have something that they are better at than others. In our group, they had the ranger up front scouting ahead while the party was travelling through the mountain roads. Now that they have entered the caverns that they sought, the two thieves trade off on who is scouting. They actually have been keeping one at each end of the party, in case they have to turn around (which has happened once already inside the caverns).

:focus:

Blayne Gallione
02-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Nice topic. I remember one time we were set out on a boat across a sea to get to a far port city. On the way, we get attacked by pirates. There are around 60 pirates. We, being the idiots we are, decide to attack them (Please keep in mind that there are six of us). As we begin the battle, 4 of our 6 players rolled criticals and one rolled a double critical. The DM expected us to run away, but look what happened! The Ranger who rolled the double critical jumped an epic jump from one boat to the other and shot his bow with such accuracy that Poseidon himself enchanted the bow and sent the ship to the bottom on the oceam. Talk about a change of plans for your DM.

r4y
03-03-2009, 04:28 PM
happened just the other night.

our crew consists of a racist fighter (only in character, hates elves), a half elf disquised as a human, my factotum/assassin, and a commoner turned nightmare by "hassek the wizard" whom we were tasked with finding and was known for causing way too much trouble and had just recently stole a great key that could unlock pretty much anything.

so after sneaking passed a big green dragon guarding the door of his mansion (courtesy of three invisibility potions and a prepared spell) we explored the house there were no stairs to the second floor so we went down and in the basement found an otyuk (spelling?) the otyuk ran up to our fighter and dropped a spoon at his feet. after some painful experimentation we found it just wanted to play fetch. so we leave out the door on the far side and walk into an identical room, in fact it was the same room. believing the spoon had something to do with our progress (it was magical) we spent 30 min trying to figure out what its significance was and how to take it with us with out the otyuk atking us. finally the fighter kills the otyuk (gets a free coup de gras too. poor thing) and he walks down the hallway spoon in hand and i wait by the entrance sure enough hes back in the room. he breaks the spoon (it takes a seriouse beating from a +1 longsword) and that doesnt work either. then the fighter gets this brilliant idea. maybe the Dragon IS the wizard so we go out the way we came.

The DM later told us out the spoon was a spoon of everlasting rations and was being used to feed the otyuk (D'OH)

so after sneaking up on the dragon, I cast true strike and death atk it, its an illusion (D'OH those potions cost us 1000gp for the lot) thats twice the DM got us.

I got him back later though

first the fighter grabbed a ladder from his cart outside and we just cimbed into one of the second story windows

then after we confronted the wizard and he gave us the key the commoner turned nightmare showed his true coulors and snatched it running off and jumping out the window. with its fly spd of 90 ft i think it was supposed to get away but instead I leaped out after it and after rolling huge (I could hear the dm swear under his breath) I grabbed its flaming hooves and dragged it down to the ground after which the fighter crit fumbled an attempt to body slam the beast from the second story window with his armour spikes (almost killed me!) in the end we killed the nightmare (it was lieing about being a commoner in the first place) and saved the key returning it to the paladins heh heh

wizard got away though that was a shame so we claimed his mansion we plan to put in some stairs eventually

cigamnogard
03-09-2009, 06:10 PM
I have never heard of anyone - until now - that has used a ladder. Purchased yes...used - no!

knitnerd
03-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Our 6th level party had just escaped from a remote castle where we were supposed to be lab rats for some kind of magical experiment. We got to town and took rooms at the inn. The wizard placed magical traps on his door and window and went to sleep. The dwarf fighter and the changeling got into a drinking contest and didn’t do very well. They went up to their room and passed out. The rest of us heard a strange noise and a Thrikill jumped in the window. He demanded the book of spells that was stolen from the castle. My paladin of freedom said that the dwarf and the changeling were too stupid to steal a book. The DM asked for a bluff check and I protested that I really did think they were that stupid. I passed the bluff check. Then the Samurai got a 20 on his intimidate and the Thrikill decided to check out the wizards room. It did not check for magical traps,failed its save and fell paralysed to the ground. We went outside and took our time chopping it to bits. Then the DM announced that it was a 23rd level psionic warrior/pyromancer who was supposed to be the main BEBG. It took him all week to make. He had six pages of notes.

bitemytail
03-16-2009, 03:05 PM
I have never heard of anyone - until now - that has used a ladder. Purchased yes...used - no!

I had a drunken master who fought with a ladder. Good times. The DM got screwed over many times by forgetting I had it. Bypassed many dungeons and walls

cigamnogard
03-16-2009, 06:42 PM
LOL! That's awesome I love it!

nijineko
03-17-2009, 01:29 AM
ah, drunken master. that's on my list of concepts i want to play.

currently i'm trying out the concepts of a mute master archer, a spirit woman that lives in a dagger, an albino drow-who-doesn't-know-he's-a-drow "elf" sandshaper, a pyromaniac tasked with slaying undead-or be returned to death himself, a thri-kreen dervish wielding four scimitars, a superhero version of the shadow (from the radio dramas and the novels), a non-druid shapeshifter who is taking druid-based shapeshifting prestige classes legally, and a few others. ^^

ChaunceyK
03-17-2009, 04:14 PM
I had a drunken master who fought with a ladder. Good times.

Did he ever put it over his head, spin it around in an airplane-spin and knock over monsters with it, ala Terry Funk? (you won't get that unless you're an old school ECW fan)

yukonhorror
03-17-2009, 06:12 PM
didn't read all posts, but thought I'd mention our tendency to really irritate the crap out of our DM. I can't count the number of times the DM would introduce some new adventure, some new plotline, etc... that we would look at, think "oh but we still have that cave to clear out, and we have to recover that hand, and there is that stinkin' illusionist we just have to kill" and decide to put this adventure off too. Of course, the only one we ever really pursued was the illusionist (he was annoying).

Later on, the DM would say he spent a week on the adventure he had laid out where we would use teleporters to go to the orient, go into this mountain and uncover an airship, and some other very cool things. But they always seemed like a point of no return sort of situation, and we wanted to make sure we could get back to our stuff.

cigamnogard
03-18-2009, 05:48 PM
ah, drunken master. that's on my list of concepts i want to play.

I have looked at the concept a few times yet do not have any inclination to do so.

nijineko
03-20-2009, 12:07 AM
it all depends on what you mix it with. ^^ very much the mixed drink sort of character... maybe i'll have the character use an umbrella as a weapon... if i'm feeling like irritating the dm, i'll have it able to shrink to mug-appropriate size! ^^

bitemytail
03-20-2009, 04:15 PM
I allow my players to take improvised weapon proficiency. When they do, I'm always surprised by what they find to use.

"Can I masterwork a halfling?"

cigamnogard
03-20-2009, 07:46 PM
"Can I masterwork a halfling?"

well - can you? :laugh:

bitemytail
03-21-2009, 01:37 PM
well - can you? :laugh:

Masterwork spiked full-plate armor on a halfling = great weapon.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Here's an oldie but goodie: The party couldnt get across a ledge in the underdark, for falling would amount to a guaranteed death, as would backtracking for we were being followed by an overwhelming group of baddies. So, our huge fighter with an 18:00 srength, grabbed up the halfling (with an insanely high dexterity) and hucked her across the ledge to the other side, with much complaint from the halfling. The fighters strength wasnt in question, and the fighter rolled well with the throw, and the halfling did well in her role as well-only taking minimal damage. This scenario made for great game fun for the halfling never forgot the incident and continually tormented the fighter from that point on.

A similar story, a few levels later-the halfling still bitter about the experience, was when the party was in another cavern fighting baddies, and their spellcaster was doing some serious damage to our party. We know if we didnt take their spellcaster down quick, we would lose the battle and meet our makers. So, guess what, the fighter picked up the halfling and hucked her over the baddies, rolling a 20, the baddies rolling low to try to pick off the 'ball,' the halfing rolled well on her landing, something like an 18, and distracted the magic user in combat to give us the precious few rounds needed to both survive and win. It was tense all the way through, and we fondly remember playing the scenario to this day, 20+ years later.

The DM, being worth his weight in skill, appreciated the 'thinking outside the box' of our fighter and rewarded extra experience each time, which btw, both times didnt ask but merely did what he felt necessary to survive, to the surprise of the players and characters.

I would tell you what the halfing did to get back at the fighter, but it probably wouldnt be appropriate on this site, but it was well-deserved, and hilariously funny. :laugh:

cigamnogard
03-30-2009, 08:02 PM
I would tell you what the halfing did to get back at the fighter, but it probably wouldnt be appropriate on this site, but it was well-deserved, and hilariously funny. :laugh:

OH! Come on! Cannot leave us hangimg like that!

kirksmithicus
03-31-2009, 05:20 PM
I have never ruined my DM's plans, because I love being railroaded! Choo Choo, All aboard!

* I have resisted the urge to post this for weeks. My resolve has finally weakened, and so I could not stop myself any longer.

ChaunceyK
03-31-2009, 05:36 PM

This is my thread, and I say tell us! :biggrin:

cigamnogard
04-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Yes please!

spotlight
04-02-2009, 03:32 PM
PM me, Thoth, I promise not to repeat it! But being an old player myself, I bet I can guess it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-02-2009, 03:46 PM
I really shouldnt say, for she actually frequents P&PG from time to time. Tell you what, if anyone cares to guess, i'll give you the yeah or neah on your guess.

Sorry i cant do better, but i'm scared :eek: of her and her wrath. :mad:

cigamnogard
04-02-2009, 03:48 PM
She hog tied him and used jumper cables?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-02-2009, 03:55 PM
She hog tied him and used jumper cables?
Worse!

Hint #1: After we got over our initial shock, the player of said character especially, we all broke out in laughter. I believe the visual will last with us to the end of our days.

Hint #2: I believe she got the idea from a movie made in the mid 1990's.

cigamnogard
04-02-2009, 03:57 PM
She tared and feathered him?

spotlight
04-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Carefull now, it sounds like your describing a programmed illusion .... Like the one I knew personally named Candy Barr. She's got to be in her 80's by now.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-02-2009, 04:06 PM
She tared and feathered him?
That's the dwarven way, but a good guess just the same. Nope, hers was humiliation-based. Tell you what, if anyone throws me a sympathic bone by adding a response to my gaming vampires thread(apparently its not worthy enough to garner interest), i give another hint(clever anecdotes welcomed: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9698

Yeah, i realize it's a shameless plug, but hey, it's my first initiated thread. Some sympathy, please.

Who knows, the female player in question may answer the riddle for you. Where are you in P&PG land?

tesral
04-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Casa. Casa was a evil little girl. Well not evil evil, but she could be cruel and was vindictive.

One morning after treating a party member badly the Copper Sauroi Urich woke up clean and shiny, every inch of him, even those spots the sun don't shine. On his chest was a bottle of polish and a dirty rag. He freaked. That kind of stealth was impossible! Casa informed him that not only was it possible, but he had to sleep, and she could nail his arse at will. The next time he abused a party member he would wake up a eunuch. She had the skills and he would never feel a thing, just notice the lack. He might be the big bad half dragon fighter, and she was the little Leoman, but she was a Healer, and that meant more than he realized.

She was right. Frankly she was stronger and quicker than Urich. That and the spells she had meant she could cast one spell and he was hers to do with as she pleased. General anesthesia knocks someone out and they feel no pain. Someone asleep doesn't even get a save. Someone resisting does. It takes a full minute and is useless in combat. However, sleeping bullies might find all sorts of things missing in the morning. She wasn't that stealthy, but Urich didn't realize how she had done it.

cigamnogard
04-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Casa. Casa was a evil little girl. Well not evil evil, but she could be cruel and was vindictive.

Is this the story?

tesral
04-03-2009, 11:22 PM
It's my story. It's not Thoth's story.

cigamnogard
04-06-2009, 03:05 PM
It's my story. It's not Thoth's story.
Ah ha!