PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun Releases

Freejack
12-27-2008, 04:09 PM
I haven't seen any of the RSS stuff popping up with SR releases and there are a slew of new products coming out in 2009.

What's currently available
Fantasy Productions
FPR26000 Shadowrun 4th 1st Printing through 4th Printing
FPR26001 Shadowrun 4th Collectible 1-1000.
FPR26002 Gamemasters Screen (with Contacts)
FPR26003 On The Run
FPR26004 Street Magic
FPR26005 Runner Havens

Catalyst Game Labs
CGL26000 Shadowrun 4th 5th Printing and 6th Printing
CGL26000 Shadowrun 4 20th Anniversary Edition 7th Printing
CGL26001 Street Magic 2nd Printing - Magic Expansion
CGL26002 Augmentation 2nd Printing - Cyberware Expansion
CGL26003 Arsenal 2nd Printing - Weapons Expansion
CGL26004 Unwired 2nd Printing - Hacking Expansion
CGL26005 Runner's Companion - Alternate character gen, Advanced rules
CGL26101 Running Wild - Critters Book
CGL26201 Corporate Enclaves - Details about Los Angeles and Neo-Tokyo. Blurbs on Dubai, Europort, Manhattan, Nairobi, and Tenochtitlan
CGL26202 Feral Cities - Details about Chicago and Lagos. Blurbs on Bogota, GeMiTo, Geneva, Karavan, and Sarajevo.
CGL26301 Emergence - Technomancer fluff book
CGL26302 Ghost Cartels - Adventure
CGL26400 Dawn of the Artifacts: Dusk - Adventure
CGL26500 Everyone's Your Friend - First New York Mission
CGL26501 Ready, Set, Gogh! - Second New York Mission
CGL26502 Block War
CGL26503 Burning Bridges
CGL26504 Monkeywrench
CGL26505 In and Out
CGL26506 Jacknifed
CGL26507 Knight at the Opera
CGL26508 Firestorm
CGL26509 Something Completely Different
CGL26510 Spin Control
CGL26511 Food Poisoning
CGL26600 Digital Grimoire - Additional Magic (PDF only)
CGL26601 Bad Moon Rising in the East - Adventure set in Hong Kong
CGL26602 The Rotten Apple: Manhattan - Setting book for New York Missions

New York Missions

SRM3-00 - Everyone's Your Friend - Transition mission bringing you from Denver to New York.
SRM3-01 - Ready, Set, Gogh! - Retrieve a painting from the Museum.
SRM3-02 - Block War
SRM3-03 - Burning Bridges
SRM3-04 - Monkeywrench
SRM3-05 - In and Out
SRM3-06 - Jacknifed
SRM3-07 - Knight at the Opera
SRM3-08 - Firestorm
SRM3-09 - Something Completely Different
SRM3-10 - Spin Control
SRM3-11 - Food Poisoning

Denver Missions

SRM02-01A - Parliament of Thieves
SRM02-02A - Best Served Cold
SRM02-03A - The Grab
SRM02-04A - Thrash The Body Electric
SRM02-05A - Through A Rose Colored Display Link
SRM02-06A - The Flip Side
SRM02-07A - An Ounce of Prevention
SRM02-08A - Chasing The Dragon
SRM02-09A - Tunnel Vision
SRM02-10A - Twist and Insult
SRM02-11A - Rising Sin
SRM02-12A - Winter Wonderland
SRM02-13A - Take Out Service
SRM02-14A - Wetwork Pure and Simple
SRM02-15A - Critical Care
SRM02-16A - Primal Forces
SRM02-17A - Patient Zero
SRM02-18A - A Very Bad Day
SRM02-19A - By Any Means Necessary
SRM02-20A - Career Path
SRM02-21A - Happenstance
SRM02-22A - Backlash
SRM02-23A - Prodigal Son
SRM02-24A - Hubris and Humility
SRM02-25A - Done Deal

Announced for 2009
Vice - The Underworld Sourcebook
Corporate Guide - Everything Corp-related
Running Wild - The Critter book
Seattle 2072 - A 20th Anniversary nod to the seminal SR classic
Sixth World Almanac - A World Almanac and History of the Sixth World. 2072 edition
Dawn of the Artifacts - adventures

In the back of Feral Cities is the following text:

COMING SOON: RUNNERSí TOOLKIT

Beyond skills and instincts, the proper kit will see a runner through almost any situation. The difference between nuyen in your pocket and street cred to your name, and an ignominious death. The Runnerís Toolkit boxed set provides tools for both GMs and players to make running easier than ever: GM screen, player reference cards, NPCs, maps, adventures, and more!

COMING SOON: SHADOWRUN NOVELS

Catalyst Game Labs is bringing Sixth World fiction back, starting with brand-new novels from Mel Odom (Cut & Run) and Phaedra Weldon (Triptych), an anthology of short fiction edited by John Helfers (Spells & Chrome), and some visiting with an old friend...

In addition, CGL will be releasing more PDF only products.

Note: The New York Missions are intended to be free to the Catalyst Demo Team. You have to fulfill the membership requirements in order to join the team. The Missions will be similar to the Bad Moon Rising in the East one that was just released in that there will be a small fee for each of the PDFs. They are certainly more professional in presentation than the original missions. Don't know about quality just yet.

Carl

MortonStromgal
12-31-2008, 01:18 PM
I really wish I liked 4e more :rolleyes: can't wait for some rpg.net reviews :biggrin:

Freejack
12-31-2008, 02:04 PM
I really wish I liked 4e more :rolleyes: can't wait for some rpg.net reviews :biggrin:

There are several reviews of the core books as well as one on Arsenal and one on the On The Run module.

I'm 3/4's done reading Unwired and intend on writing my first review on that.

Carl

Inquisitor Tremayne
01-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Cool, thanks for the updates!

McCummhail
01-12-2009, 08:48 AM
I haven't acquired my copy of unwired, but am extremely curious about it.
When you get a chance to start reviewing I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

Freejack
01-12-2009, 09:19 AM
I haven't acquired my copy of unwired, but am extremely curious about it.
When you get a chance to start reviewing I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

My first draft is over on my blog: http://www.shadowtalk.us

I need to rework it but feel free to make a comment.

Carl

McCummhail
01-13-2009, 08:34 AM
My first draft is over on my blog: http://www.shadowtalk.us

I need to rework it but feel free to make a comment.

Carl

The one comment by Carl is spot on. This review is a detailed overview of the contents with sporadic and reticent commentary.
I can at least tell that this book will be a definitive supplement for 4E given the current amount of hand waving necessary to work the matrix in game.
I am looking forward to testing some of these new rules.
Thanks for the info!
--- Merged from Double Post ---
On a separate note, I had a chance to thumb through the Runner's Companion and it seems that the ED (EarthDawn) links in SR aren't dead. In fact, according to some comments from some of the developers on Dumpshock, they are looking forward to more in 4E.

Freejack
01-13-2009, 11:04 AM
The one comment by Carl is spot on. This review is a detailed overview of the contents with sporadic and reticent commentary.
I can at least tell that this book will be a definitive supplement for 4E given the current amount of hand waving necessary to work the matrix in game.
I am looking forward to testing some of these new rules.
Thanks for the info!

Technically I'm the "Carl" that commented. Funny, eh? :D

I did a "review" to get started and after I was done, I read it and went "WTF, that was pretty lame". So I commented on myself (self criticism there) as much to remind me that I needed to rethink what I was doing and redo the review.

I think it's harder to review a rule expansion than a setting book. Or I just can't do reviews :)

On a separate note, I had a chance to thumb through the Runner's Companion and it seems that the ED (EarthDawn) links in SR aren't dead. In fact, according to some comments from some of the developers on Dumpshock, they are looking forward to more in 4E.

Yea, when I saw the new adventures coming out, I immediately though of Earthdawn.

Carl

MortonStromgal
01-17-2009, 11:55 PM
I can't wait for that seattle book, I've been reading the fictional characters in the back of runners companion... Its the first time I have enjoyed 4e fluff.

Freejack
02-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Update

I've updated the first post but thought I'd post it here too.

The PDF, Bad Moon Rising in the East is available. It's one of the $4.00 PDFs they're coming out with. This one is an adventure and styled after the Shadowrun Missions scenarios. It has a bit more polish than the Denver or Seattle ones (although there are some good Denver ones). As I understand it, it's the direction the next Missions is going. Free for the demo folk and a few bucks for the rest of us.

It looks interesting too. Can't wait to throw my group into it :D

Carl

Freejack
03-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Hey, Shadowrun 4th 20th Anniversary Edition is out. PDF only right now. A Limited Edition printing will be coming too.

I'm waiting for my credits so I can apply it to the LE book. Check the credits, I'm in the book as a proofreader. :D

Carl

MortonStromgal
03-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Any reason to buy it for non-collectors?

Freejack
03-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Any reason to buy it for non-collectors?

We proofed some short stories that I thought were going into a book and it turns out they're all in the new core book (6 short stories incorporated into the book).

Most of the sections are the same. The skills section has changed. Now all the skills are listed without any inserts for the various skills that have expanded information. They're all in the back of the Skills chapter.

Without looking at all the erratas, it's hard to say what are there that are incorporated into the new book. For example, there are some additional rules for vehicles (Extreme Range for instance) that may be in an errata.

It is the most current printing of the core rules. It incorporates all the erratas up to this point and we did a heck of a proofreading job on it based on what I read from the team.

I'd say that the core book itself has enough to warrant buying it due to the updates and the fiction. The collectors would get the Limited Edition (which I've pre-ordered).

Carl

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-15-2009, 09:22 PM
I couldnt agree more, sad to say.

MortonStromgal
03-18-2009, 12:30 AM
I've been reading the forums and bought the PDF it would apear that although the internet is calling it 4.5 or 4A edition (because of the significant rule changes) I would personally say its 4.1
I feel mostly positive about the changes I have read, seams like the catalyst guys are generally trying to fix things people complain about.

Freejack
03-19-2009, 10:23 PM
The Catalyst guys are calling it SR4A which would be 4.1 to me as well.

The changes don't seem like all that much to me, at least not so far. My group and I are still pretty new to SR4 though and their characters don't last all that long anyway :) They also are much more interested in the investigation aspect of stuff. At least for now.

Carl

Freejack
03-26-2009, 12:56 PM
The Missions setting is available for purchase from BattleCorps ($3.95). The Rotten Apple: Manhattan is 32 pages and nicely done with neighborhood information and brief descriptions of various corps that have offices in Manhattan.

In addition, the first Missions adventure is available for free download (they will have a cost though so best get it now).

SRM3-00 Everybody's Your Friend (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=60700&filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=61&free=1)

Carl

Goreaddict
03-31-2009, 08:07 PM
O_O looks like i shall have a lot more reading to do. Just got done with a ton of the old books, but i guess it'll be nice just starting the game and having plenty to review over it'll at least build my confidence in the game more anyways. I'll be waiting to see what you guys have to say about it though. However I have a 3e v3.8 core book that i haven't touched, i read 4e instead is there a greater comparable difference between the 2 that would make playing with 3e better than 4e, or is it just completely some people's personal choice?

Freejack
04-02-2009, 09:50 AM
I've run 1st and 2nd edition (long ago) and am currently running 4th. I've played in 3rd edition but the GM was pretty knowledgeable about 2nd, moreso than 3rd so I don't know if we were really playing in 3rd or not.

At least when I started playing again, 3rd edition looked like there was a lot to know before you could run the game. The rules seemed to be spread across a lot of books and there were quite a lot of people who were more knowledgeable about the rules than I could be.

So I went with 4th edition. There was only the core book and Street Magic to worry about (at the time) with a couple of fluff type books and the GM screen.

The purpose (per Catalyst) of the additional rule books were to get all the 3rd edition rules into a single relevant rule book and then updated for 4th edition. So if you were a street sam, you might only need augmentation. A mage or adept would need street magic and a hacker/rigger would need unwired. Everyone needs arsenal :D

From browsing over on dumpshock (the Shadowrun forums; for now), 3rd edition was the logical progression from 1st to 2nd and then 3rd. The novels and sourcebooks all added information to the metastory and fleshed out the world of Shadowrun. Of course all that makes it harder for new players since there's a bunch of world history that's good to know.

4th Edition seemed to take out some of the original cyberpunk gritty feel of the game and make the world a little brighter and friendlier, perhaps even easier for newbies to get into the game.

One recent comment on rpg.net was that Shadowrun 1st through 3rd was Cyberpunk and Shadowrun 4th is Transhuman Space. I thought that was pretty insightful and really helped define the difference for me.

The Denver Missions (freely downloadable) were an excellent help in getting me and my group up to speed on 4th edition. We've been playing every other week (or so) for the past year and a half and we're only half way through the missions. If you want to try 4th, I'd certainly highly recommend the missions.

I hope this helps.

Carl

MortonStromgal
04-02-2009, 07:48 PM
At least when I started playing again, 3rd edition looked like there was a lot to know before you could run the game. The rules seemed to be spread across a lot of books and there were quite a lot of people who were more knowledgeable about the rules than I could be.

IMHO that is because 3e took a lot of the "optional" rules in the back of things like VR2.0, Street Samurai Catalog, Awakenings, etc and put them into the standard core rule set.

McCummhail
04-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Having run and played through 1st-4th editions I see what Freejack is saying.
1st to 2nd to 3rd edition even say a steady progression of rules with each edition putting bandaids on rules that were problematic.
The massive amounts of lore and rules really made it a hindrance to get new players into the circle. The even larger issue we ran into was that in addition to needing a rule cross reference sheet to keep things straight, we had a growing list of house rules to address the issues that had come up from extended play.
4E has made it feasible to have a closer to fresh start (They didn't throw everything out the window). Although 4E still has the issue of RAW and house rules.
My favorite revision of 4E is the magic system. The traditions are much more flexible and the spells more usable.
A close second is wireless for Hacker/Deckers. We no longer have issues with matrix runs turning into solo time. We can all act concurrently at the same table.

Goreaddict
04-03-2009, 10:25 AM
I think in this case I'll play 4e but I'm still going to read through 3e, and I might dl the missions couldn't hurt right?

books I have: Cannon Companion, Magic in the Shadows, Man & Machine Cyberware 3, Shadowrun 4th v1.o core book, 3e, Rigger 3, and Matrix 3. Anything else I should pick up? Also I don't know which books are useful and which are not we've just been relying on core book, and my friend has street magic.

Freejack
04-03-2009, 12:17 PM
That was one of the problems we had during my time playing with 3rd. "But in the FanPro edition of Men and Magic on page 128, it says blah... no no, the second printing of the FanPro book." "Yea but over in Awakened Lands it says blah." "But that's addressed in Mr. Johnson's Little Black Book."

Together the group had to have all the books and it made it even harder for the GM since he or she may not have taken that into account because they didn't read it. Our GM was pretty much a 2nd Ed GM. He knew the rules backwards and forwards. It bled into his 3rd Ed game though. Things that were "fixed" in 3rd, he still remembered the old way. So I'd check my character out (he provided characters) and try to reconcile it against the rules but couldn't. I had a very high reaction so I'd be getting 29 and higher in my pass (so 3 and even 4 initiative passes). But when I finally figured out where he was getting the numbers, I found a couple were "if only surprised" or other conditions. Same with cyberware maintenance. I had to go back into the books to find the gear he had and couldn't find everything. Eventually with his help, I was able to get it straighened out (and had to pay 700,000 N in back "taxes").

Lots of interesting background and such but you're right, it made it hard for newbies to get into the game.

Carl
Are you going to run a game or just want the books you need to play?

The Denver missions are created to be used with just the core book. None of the others (well maybe Street Magic) were even published at the time.

So if you're running Denver, you only really need the core and possibly Street Magic.

New York will be using all the rule books. So you would probably want to have Augmentation, Arsenal, Unwired, Street Magic, and possibly even Runner's Companion. Note, there will be another printing of Runner's Companion due to the Karma change in SR4A. Of course an errata will be available.

If you're just playing, you should have the core book and then whichever book you will be using for your character.

Carl

MortonStromgal
04-03-2009, 04:00 PM
I think in this case I'll play 4e but I'm still going to read through 3e, and I might dl the missions couldn't hurt right?

books I have: Cannon Companion, Magic in the Shadows, Man & Machine Cyberware 3, Shadowrun 4th v1.o core book, 3e, Rigger 3, and Matrix 3. Anything else I should pick up? Also I don't know which books are useful and which are not we've just been relying on core book, and my friend has street magic.

I highly recommend the Neo-Anarchist Guide to Real Life, regardless of what edition your playing. It may seam a bit dated for 4e players but its got solid good advise for PCs on how to survive as a shadowrunner.

Goreaddict
04-03-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm working on getting arsenal, street magic (my own copy), unwired, and i actually might have the others some where. I was planning on running the Denver missions just to get the group familiarized and everything, and then start a separate campaign and come back and do the new stuff/new york.

I'm more than likely going to buy some of the books off amazon unless you guys can give me a better site (cheaper) off the top of your head?

I highly recommend the Neo-Anarchist Guide to Real Life, regardless of what edition your playing. It may seam a bit dated for 4e players but its got solid good advise for PCs on how to survive as a shadowrunner.What's in neo-anarchist that would be of value?

MortonStromgal
04-03-2009, 10:26 PM
What's in neo-anarchist that would be of value?

Theres two neo-anarchist books

The Guide to Real Life and the Guide to North America...

The Guide to Real Life is written by Nigel Findley (by far my favorite of the Shadowrun authors)
Its kinda like a tourists book for shadowrunners. Some of the chapters you may find useful are as follows
Security Blanket - Covers how security works, what kind of things you'll run into like card readers, pressure plates etc.
Doc Wagons New Medicine - Talks about what they will and wont do and how much it will cost you.
Seattle on 30 nuyen a night - Covers coffin motels.

Each chapter is only 4-5 pages but 75% of the book is still useful to new players. The other stuff... well its a 2e book so it has 2e gear in it. I wouldn't go out and pay $30 for it but if you can get a copy for $5-$10 I think you'll find it worth the money, as long as your into flushing out the details.

Goreaddict
04-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Theres two neo-anarchist books

The Guide to Real Life and the Guide to North America...

The Guide to Real Life is written by Nigel Findley (by far my favorite of the Shadowrun authors)
Its kinda like a tourists book for shadowrunners. Some of the chapters you may find useful are as follows
Security Blanket - Covers how security works, what kind of things you'll run into like card readers, pressure plates etc.
Doc Wagons New Medicine - Talks about what they will and wont do and how much it will cost you.
Seattle on 30 nuyen a night - Covers coffin motels.

Each chapter is only 4-5 pages but 75% of the book is still useful to new players. The other stuff... well its a 2e book so it has 2e gear in it. I wouldn't go out and pay $30 for it but if you can get a copy for $5-$10 I think you'll find it worth the money, as long as your into flushing out the details.I have a lot of useless books and books i haven't read that my friend gave me, like corporate security, underworld guide, and i actually do have the neo-anarchist guide but its .pdf format and gives me a headache to read :( so I'll probably end of buying it or wasting a lot of ink to print stuff off, but I'll definitely read it at some point. Going to probably high-jack the local hospitals transpert paper print and print some maps that i can draw on and clean off. >.< once thats accomplished I'll check over everyone's character and will play core rules until i can get my hands on books like aresenal, an augmentation we should have fun.

Goreaddict
04-06-2009, 10:54 AM
The collectors would get the Limited Edition (which I've pre-ordered).

CarlI asked this in the news updates (http://penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9779) before I thought about this thread:

I'm considering getting the Limited edition, just to have it, and give my current book to someone in my group. Only problem is I'm lazy whats the difference between the limited and print; art, extras, what?

Freejack
04-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Yep, I replied over there :) I think the only difference is the cover and numbered book part. I don't believe there are any other differences. I'm not with the publishers though so it's just what I've read on the forums.

As far as I know, there isn't any difference between the 3rd LE and the core book or the original 4th LE and core book.

Carl

Freejack
04-28-2009, 09:59 PM
New Mission PDF released. Ready, Set, Gogh!

I've signed up for several games at Gencon and it just so happens they posted the names of the upcoming New York Missions (except for SRM03-02 which will likely be out before the con). So I updated the listing above with all the ones I found in the event registration listing.

Carl

Freejack
05-17-2009, 12:23 PM
SRM3-02 has been released. Block War.

I updated the first post so that the ones that aren't released yet are italicized.

Carl

MortonStromgal
06-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Heh Freejack, do your players have any tips for speeding up character creation. You said they die semi often and the point buy is terribly slow, though like all editions gear is the worst offender.

Freejack
06-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Heh Freejack, do your players have any tips for speeding up character creation. You said they die semi often and the point buy is terribly slow, though like all editions gear is the worst offender.

Snag one of the chargen programs. Generally we're using the pregenerated characters from the core book and the players make changes as appropriate. It lets us get up and running, especially since we have lots of temp folks pop in for a game or two and then not come back.

Carl

MortonStromgal
06-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Snag one of the chargen programs. Generally we're using the pregenerated characters from the core book and the players make changes as appropriate. It lets us get up and running, especially since we have lots of temp folks pop in for a game or two and then not come back.

Carl

Yeah I've been thinking making some stripped down templates minus race and then throwing 50+ BP for them to customize might be the way to go. But its reminding me of my GURPS days...

Freejack
07-19-2009, 08:44 AM
The first adventure in Dawn of the Artifacts is out. Dusk. The new critters PDF is out, Running Wild. They're also offering Shadowrun Dice with the stylized 'S'.

Carl

McCummhail
07-20-2009, 08:19 AM

Much like making a "Standard Adventurer's Kit" in DND,
I encourage players to develop a Standard Runner's kit.
The notion of an "underground essentials kit" has caught on in
several UCAS zones with the fixers.
Some charge more, some charge less for the package.

You might customize yours for your guys,
but our has at least the following:

A Fake SIN (rating 2-4) ("Welcome to Atlanta Mr. Smith.")
A 1/1/1/1 "Drop Comm" (like buying a disposable cell-phone)
A driver's license (Car and Motorcycle) (might be fake)
A "Clean" Ares Predator 3 clips of ammo (cost-efficient firepower)
A gun license / conceal&carry license (might be fake)
A stun glove (quiet, efficient, handy)
20 zip ties (more uses than handcuffs and easier to carry)
10 RFID tags (sometimes you want to tag something for later)
A tag eraser (make sure that car is clean)
A flash pak (rechargeable!)

Freejack
08-03-2009, 06:57 AM
Catalyst has released the updated Street Magic PDF. If you bought it, you should have received an e-mail letting you get the updated PDF. If you're a PDF gamer, you can get the updated Street Magic PDF now.

Carl

Freejack
12-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Haven't seen the RSS for this yet but the new New York Missions module: In and Out was released on the 24th. Updated in the listing.

Carl