PDA

View Full Version : Splintered Megalopolis



lokiare1
12-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Veraan Xuun: you have recently traveled to the city of Sanctuary located on the edge of the shattered city. You did this because the previous village you resided in found out about your profession. You were forced to flee in the night when a crowd of angry villagers with torches and pitch forks tried to storm the "Silver Ore", an inn where you were staying.

You knew when you decided to become a warlock that people would view you with suspicion. Even though you didn't pact with the infernals, everyone that meets you and sees your powers assumes you have made a deal with the dark ones. For the most part you try not to incite riots when you can. Sometimes though it is unavoidable.

Veraan Xuun, you think that maybe if you were in a larger city, you could remain annonomous, or better yet find some people that might understand why you became a warlock in the first place.

Upon entering the city gates you immediately see that the gate guards are dragonborn. You have heard that they are common here.

As you set off to explore the new town a worried looking dragonborn slams into your side knocking you off balance. His heavy armor is cold to the touch and there is an emblem of a shield in the center, you smell fear coming off of him in waves. He stops and says:

Are you all right? I meant no offense. My mind was occupied with other matters.

You sense that the dragonborn is very worried.

(OOC: passive insight check allows you to know extra information)
The dragonborn looks panicked and desperate.
What do you do?



Doromii: You have lived within the safe walls of Sanctuary all of your life. Your family traveled here when foul creatures overran your woodland. Due to misfortune your family is gone now, and you have been left alone to fend for yourself. You know the ways of the streets and how to get something for nothing. You know of the different groups in Sanctuary vying for power. As of yet you have escaped the notice of all of them.

You have been following an odd looking half-elf, thinking he might lead you to some fame and fortune or maybe just a little money when an important looking dragonborn runs into him accidentally. They stop and appear to be conversing. This is your opportunity to act!

What do you do?


(unknown Artificer): You have traveled to Sanctuary looking for the opportunity to test your powers, and to find out more about the ancient Artificers that were able to imbue entire buildings with power.

When you introduced yourself and gave your profession at the city gate, they requested that you meet someone called Hanbrig. They told you the place he frequents, and they said he might have some work for you. Out of curiousity you decide to just "see" what they want. You go to the place, but no one is there. As you leave you see a dragonborn that matches the description that you were given standing and talking with a half-elf. You also notice that an elf is watching both of them.

What do you do?

akela122301
12-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Doromii sees the dragonborn talking to his mark, and gets curious. He decides to get closer, to overhear their conversation.

Being Sneaky

lokiare1
12-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Doromii: Neither of them notice as you approach. You glance at the wares of a street vendor, some useless trinkets, as you listen closely to their conversation. (OOC: make an insight check)

akela122301
12-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Insight check

darthseb
12-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Guile walks over to the three, keeping his eyes on the elf, who Guile feels to be out of place. Insight

OOC: Please ignore that first roll.

lokiare1
12-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Guile recognizes that the dragonborn is afraid, and to the point of panicking. He is looking around desperately.

(OOC: Make streetwise checks to see if you recognize the dragonborn everyone)

He spots Guile and sees that he has various viles and containers of powders and liquids. The dragonborn turns and says:

Sir, would you happen to be a progenitor of the magical arts? If you are, would you be so kind as to hear a proposition I have for you? You see there is someone that has been falsely accused. I have had no choice but to have him imprisoned to keep the other defenders from taking vengeance on him. Though he is human he has proven himself honorable. I know this man personally and I know he would not do what he is accused of.

They say he went on a rampage and vandalized the city. They say he painted obscene things on buildings and walls of Sanctuary. The defenders are out for blood. Whoever did this knew it would be like a slap in the face to those that put their lives on the line to defend this place.

I hold a position of great respect here, so I can reward you well if you can clear his name.

He looks at Guile expectantly, with a hopeful expression.

darthseb
12-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Streetwise

Guile pauses for a moment. "Hm... Vandalism and obscenities, you say? Well, no living creature ought to pay for a crime 'til there's proof. Calm yourself, you have my services." Guile laughs. "..Unless you expect me to paint."

akela122301
12-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Streetwise

(OOC: If Doromii was close enough to hear all that) Doromii is intrigued, and decides, if his mark offers assistance, he will too.

lokiare1
12-27-2008, 06:51 PM
The Dragonborn looks relieved, and says:

I don't have the time to attend to this matter personally, and everyone here knows me, so I cannot properly investigate this. The person that is in trouble is Cerin, and he is a Knight of the white cloud.

The Knights of the white cloud are the humblest members of the Knights of the Heavens. The Knights of the Heavens are an honorable group, though they have many regulations that make their order confusing at times. I much prefer to just do the honorable thing and not worry too much about specific traditions.

The last place he was seen by a witness that I consider reliable would be at the Staggering Knight, a tavern not too far from Cerin's home.

The problem with this crime was that too many people saw him do it. I think he may have been drugged, or manipulated mystically. I know not by who, but there are many that would see the Knights of the Heaven's suffer.

The only thing I know for sure is that Cerin WOULD NOT do anything of this nature. He is one of the most honorable humans I know of. He is being held in the Defender Prison in the south of the Sanctuary.

The dragonborn looks at everyone expectantly.

--- Merged from Double Post ---
Nobody: as you are walking the streets of Sanctuary you overhear something a dragonborn is saying:

...great respect here, so I can reward you well if...

You pause in your wanderings to listen to what is being said.

Everyone else: A human that happened to be walking by has paused and is taking an interest in the conversation.

darthseb
12-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Guile raises a single index finger, and inquires, "Hanbrig, if I may so casually refer to you, do you believe Cerin is even now under manipulation?"

lokiare1
12-27-2008, 08:40 PM
He raises a scaly eye-ridge, and puts his hand under his chin, he looks away for a moment lost in thought. When his eyes refocus on you he says:

I don't believe so. He seemed not to know of anything that happened. Of course I can't be sure as I'm not a wizard and know little of such things. I prefer to face an enemy on the battlefield and stare them in the eyes. In any event I am already late. There are matters I must attend to.


With that he bids farewell and walks away.

Tsquared80
12-28-2008, 06:31 AM
(My apologies for being absent thus far)

Veraan is quite surprised the Dragonborn is as panicked as he is; Dragonborns are known for being cool-headed, courageous creatures. Whatever is bothering this one must be serious. Veraan stands back and absorbs the story that is unfolding.


After hearing the Dragonborn's story and the conversation that unfolded with the other individuals around him, Veraan understands what the Dragonborn speaks of. It wasn't too long ago that he, too, was accused of deeds that he did not do. Veraan feels that this Cerin individual needs some assistance.

"I will do what I can to assist this Cerin you speak of. Maybe my knowledge of the art of magic can be of some help."

It seems there are others that are interested as well. Who else would come to assist Cerin?

akela122301
12-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Doromii nods to himself. He thinks, This fellow is a man of character. I'm sure he will lead me to glory.

He steps forward, and says, Good sirs, I believe I might be of service as well. I am Doromii, skilled in the shadow-craft, and local of Sanctuary.

darthseb
12-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Guile grins as he looks at the others who listened to Hanbrig.

"Seems like the first order of business, gathering a few extra hands, is already taken care of."

Guile thinks for a moment, twirling his beard, then chuckles nervously. 'Few extra hands?' Smooth, Guile.

"Uh.. Perhaps I should rephrase?"

Tsquared80
12-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Veraan didn't want to tell the individuals too much about himself. He doesn't know how to trust yet.

"My name is Veraan Xuun. I am a Half-Elf from, well... all over really, versed quite well in the art of magic. Perhaps my knowledge will be useful in this task."

The other individuals seemed like a seasoned lot. Not that Veraan was seasoned himself, but he's had his good days. He's always learning.....

lokiare1
12-29-2008, 10:41 AM
As the dragonborn Hanbrig walks away. Each of you look toward him lost in thought for a moment. If Hanbrig is worried, and he is an important leader of this town then the threat must truly be great.

What do you do next?

darthseb
12-29-2008, 02:09 PM
He did mention that pub... Perhaps check his home? Well, I could certainly use a drink either way... Helps me think.

Guile looks at the others, and smirks. "I propose our first course of action should be visiting the Staggering Knight. All in favor?" He swallows to wet his throat.

Tsquared80
12-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Veraan isn't one for ale, but the pub is always a good place to ask around for information. Hopefully what happened before his journey to Sanctuary won't happen again.

"The pub is fine by me. Seems like a good place to start asking around."

lokiare1
12-31-2008, 09:17 AM
On your way to the tavern you notice that the side of a shop is painted with red crude dripping strokes. It says:

bEwArE ThE RaDiaNt nIgHts ReTuRn.

(OOC: Anyone can make streetwise or history checks to see if they can glean anything from the message.)

akela122301
12-31-2008, 09:22 AM
Streetwise

Doromii glances at the sign, wondering if there was a hidden message.

Tsquared80
12-31-2008, 03:03 PM
There must be some hidden meaning in this message...

"Let me examine this closer..."

*Streetwise check*
Tsquared80 rolls some dice

darthseb
12-31-2008, 07:06 PM
"That's certainly cryptic. Let's have a look, then."

History

Nobody
12-31-2008, 11:51 PM
(OOC: My apologies for being absent )

A tall raven haired human, wearing black chainmail with a long forgotten crest on it that stood silently by, finally asks

How can we prove he is innocent and if we can't how do we get him out of there?

darthseb
01-01-2009, 12:48 AM
(OOC: My apologies for being absent )

A tall raven haired human, wearing black chainmail with a long forgotten crest on it that stood silently by, finally asks

How can we prove he is innocent and if we can't how do we get him out of there?

"It isn't that simple.." Guile glares at the tall man. "First of all, not to say anything about Hanbrig, but we still have no idea whether or not Cerin is actually innocent." Guile points his index finger in the chainmail-shirted Human's face. "And secondly, regardless of opinions on authority, breaking him out is bound to get at least a few very strong people angry, and I'd rather not die in jail."

Wow, Guile, that was personable. Apologize, you big jerk. "That wasn't right. Sorry. It just sounded like you didn't put much thought into what you said, but then I don't know if you were here when Hanbrig told us why he had Cerin locked up."

He points to the sign the others had also inspected. "Also, men, I'm pretty sure that writing is something about those, er... Those Radiant Knights. -sigh- I sure would like to believe they really are fighting somewhere down in the lands of the infernal.. Or up in the lands, I really don't know where they'd be."

lokiare1
01-01-2009, 10:57 PM
After a while traveling the ancient cobbles of Sanctuary, you arrive at the staggering knight. The tavern is a quaint, sturdy building, built halfway into the husk of some ruins from the shattered city. A plume of smoke lazily rises from the chimny. The open door reveals a taciturn dwarf, arguing with a slim eladrin at the bar. A halfling lounges in a corner eyeing the other customers. The bartender looks you up and down as you approach, while wiping a well worn but nicely finished table.

akela122301
01-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Doromii tells the others, I'm going to go listen around. I may learn something.

He slips away from the others and moves toward the arguing dwarf and eladrin.

Being Sneaky

Eavesdropping

darthseb
01-02-2009, 02:14 AM
Guile turns to Veraan and the Human. "I'll be over there, drinking... And asking the bartender what he knows."

Guile walks over to the barman and sits down, taking care not to touch the freshly wiped table. He smiles and makes eye contact with the person. "I may not look it, but I'm a drinking man. I was thinking of buying a glass of ale, but maybe if I throw some extra coin your way, you could divulge a little information?"

Diplomacy

Tsquared80
01-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Veraan looks around the tavern, taking note of its current patrons. Seems like that Dwarf and Eladrin have something to talk about, and what about that Halfling? Not one to be as forward as some of his companions, Veraan decides to pull up a chair to a nearby table to take in the tavern's environment before making any moves. Maybe some eavesdropping is necessary as well...

"I will be over at this table if you need or want me."

Veraan first strides over to the barkeep to get a mug of hot water. Veraan thanks him then makes his way to an open table, pulling out an herb bag with some home-grown tea. He stirs, then begins to sip slowly, not wanting to draw any attention to himself.

Insight check against conversation between Dwarf and Eladrin

Nobody
01-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Nobody goes and sits by Verran, closes his eyes and sets his hands on the table as if in prayer.

* Insight check against convesation between Dwarf and Eladrin *

akela122301
01-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Doromii, seeing the Veraan and the human listening to the argument, decides to switch his focus. He turns to the halfling sitting by himself, and says Hello, friend. I wonder if I might have a word, about a human that was here before.

Diplomacy

lokiare1
01-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Guile: The bartender looks you over, and takes stock of your outfit, and general look. He raises his beady eyes to meet yours. Then clears his throat noisily.

Depends on what kinda information you want. I don't go tellin' nothin' that'll get my patrons in trouble if ya know what I mean. Sides' what kinda coin we talkin' here?

He stands there a moment staring at you as he awaits your reply. Make another diplomacy check. (skill challenge)

Veraan: You stride over to the barkeep and get your mug of hot water. He turns away from you to deal with Guile. Then you sit at the worn table and idly listen to the Dwarf and Eladrin as they argue.

Dwarf - Now I said I would take it easy on you, but I said it was going to be a drinking contest. So why are we ordering wine?

Eladrin - Because you challenged me! I get to choose the drink, or did you forget the treaty of the mountain grove?

Dwarf - The treaty of mountain grove? Bah that was over 300 years ago. That was mediated by the empire. It's no longer valid, but if you insist, I will drink you under the bar with Eladrin wine.

With that the two begin to drink mugs of strange smelling wine that turns your stomach. It may be Eladrin wine, but it is a very cheap variety and it was probably made incorrectly.

Doromii: (OOC: we'll go ahead and use your first roll (7) with your diplomacy (2) for a roll of 9). The halfling wearing a hooded red cloak made of some unidentifiable fine material looks over and leans in then says:

Who did you want to know about?

You feel something lightly touch your money pouch. The halfling is staring you in the eyes looking intently at you for some reason.

Nobody: You overhear the argument about what they are going to drink in their drinking contest. They seem to know each other enough to be able to argue in a friendly manner.

akela122301
01-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Doromii notices the halfling trying to help himself to his belt pouch, and covers it with his hand. He raises his eyebrow and says Now, now, that's not very friendly. I don't have enough to interest you anyway.
The fellow I am referring to is a human man, name of Cerin. I heard he was accused of some bad business. Would you know anything about that?

Diplomacy

darthseb
01-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Guile points his right index finger straight up. "I'll gladly hand over whatever I feel your information is worth." Guile lowers his hand. "Your patrons are safe, I just want to know about the last time you saw a Human named.." He quickly looks over his shoulders, and whispers, "..Cerin."

Diplomacy

lokiare1
01-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Doromii: The halfling jerks his hand back and says:

Sorry, my hand must have slipped when I leaned over to talk to you. Cerin you say? I heard he was arrested for vandalizing the city. People like that SHOULD be arrested in my opinion. I don't normally frequent this place, but I heard he was here last night. I just thought I'd check things out. Too bad there's nothing going on. I think I'm just gonna leave.

He throws a silver on the table and begins to walk toward the door.

Guile: he steps behind the bar which is just a few feet from the table. He picks up a stone mug and begins to carefully wipe it out. He looks at the mug for a minute, then looks back up

Cerin? he's a regular. I don't much like talking about my regulars, they come here to relax and get away from the pressures of their lives. I'll tell you this, I saw him last night. That's all I'm willing to say though.

akela122301
01-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Doromii watches the halfling leave. Then he checks his belt pouch. He may not have a lot of money, but he doesn't want to lose what he does have.

He then sits at the same table as Veraan and Nobody.

darthseb
01-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Guile stands, anxiously, and it shows further as he waves his hands expressly while he speaks, "Well, then you're about to lose a regular unless you can give me something more." He stops waving his hands and walks over to the barman to whisper again. "I don't know if you've heard about a vandal around these parts? I have it on the highest authority that it's Cerin. I'm sure you could check the prison if you wanted proof."

(OOC: Not sure what check to make here, History or Diplomacy. I'll just make both, and then, Loki, you can pick whichever and use that.)

History
Diplomacy

lokiare1
01-06-2009, 03:36 PM
The bartender looks you sternly in the eyes, and says:

I think Cerin would know better than to get mixed up in a dwarven drinking game. He was here last night drinking with that dwarf over there. Somehow he thought he could outdrink him, but I knew better when the dwarf started ordering dwarven drought.

He points at the dwarf and Eladrin.

Nobody
01-06-2009, 06:01 PM
"So are you suggesting that your regular that is an important figure would have a drinking contest with a Dwarf and we all know who will win that contest. The Dwarf." Nobody says with a hint of cynicism in his voice." Besides Cerin knew all to well what he was getting into but what I want to know is why he was in a drinking contest with a Dwarf and what in his pampered life is making him stressed. Try answering those questions Sir."
Nobody finishes speaking quite calmly and without any irritation in his voice.

*Insight to gauge his reaction and to see if he lies in his answer*

Insight: Nobody rolls some dice

lokiare1
01-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Nobody: (OOC: actually you forgot to add your +8 for insight so you have a roll of 27)

The bartender stares Nobody down and says:

First off Cerin, is not an important person. He is a local hero. He spends his days working the outer wall. He is usually the first to defend it, and the last to leave it. He also can hold his liquor. A halfling joined him before he started the contest. I guess he convinced him that he could take on the dwarves. Together they challenged the dwarves. Of course Cerin lost, but the halfling didn't seem too bad off. In the end it was the halfling that had to help Cerin home. In fact that halfling came back today and was sitting over there.

He points to where the halfling in the red hooded cloak was sitting.

akela122301
01-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Hearing what the bartender said, Doromii laughed to himself Lying little creep.

He turns to Veraan, and said, Veraan, the halfling told *me* that this is the first time he came here. Methinks that this fellow had a lot to do with Cerin's antics. Shall we pursue?

Tsquared80
01-07-2009, 10:50 AM
What the barkeep says does not coincide with what the Halfling stated. Veraan finds this interesting and now wants to know the truth.

"Yes, Doromii, let us persue the Halfling. There's more to this that he is letting on."

(OOC: Has the Halfling left yet, or is he just on his way to the door?)

Veraan stands up from the table, throws a silver down, then starts walking in the Halfing's direction.

akela122301
01-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Doromii nodded and continued, speaking so Guile can hear too

At any rate, I know the trick the halfling may have used. A small hole in the rim of the mug, or *pretending* to drink, and pouring it out when no one was paying attention to him. The halfling just left, so Guile, Nobody, we go to apprehend him.

Doromii rises to his feet, and follows Veraan.

darthseb
01-07-2009, 08:16 PM
"Well, I still haven't gotten any ale," Guile smirks cynically, "but duty calls. Personally," Guile whispers, "I think the dwarf and the halfling may be working together. Obviously I can't see Cerin's cup, but maybe we should take a look at his latest opponent's drink?"

Guile quickly trots over to the twosome's table and picks up the Eladrin's mug.

Arcana

lokiare1
01-10-2009, 07:48 PM
(OOC: Everyone defeated the skill challenge. You receive 200xp each. The halfling is gone.)

The barkeep grabs the coin, and greedily stuffs it in his pocket. As Veraan, Doromii, and nobody turn to follow the red cloaked halfling out the door Guile turns to the dueling Eladrin and Dwarf.

The dwarf looks angry as Guile grabs the Eladrins drink. He shouts:

What do ya think yer doin'? Do you know what happened the last time someone interrupted my drinking game? I'll tell ya', it was an ogre down at Fort Meltin. I cleaved off his head and used his skull to hold my next drink. I suggest you move along afore I do the same to you!

The Eladrin looks a little disgusted at someone handling his drink.

The cup does have an enchantment on it, but unfortunately the enchantment lowers the intoxicating effects of the drink and nothing more. Realizing this is the Eladrin's doing rather than the Dwarf's, Guile quickly follows the others out the door. Once outside everyone realizes that the halfling is gone.

Tsquared80
01-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Veraan looks around for the Halfling.

"Which way did he go?"

Veraan looks around to see if there is any sign of the Halfing's trail...

(OOC: Can I do a streetwise check to see if I can tell which way he went?)
If so, Streetwise

lokiare1
01-11-2009, 02:57 AM
There appears to be no sign of the halfling or a trail to mark his passing.

lokiare1
01-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Not knowing what to do you think about the situation. You know that the dwarf responsible is in the tavern. You also know that Cerin is being kept in a prison not too far from here.

akela122301
01-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Doromii turns to Veraan. I propose we split up. I can talk to Cerin, see what he remembers. Maybe he can point us in the right direction.

Tsquared80
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Halflings are quick little fellows....

"Yes, go talk with Cerin. We should stay here and question the dwarf about last night's activities. Good luck, my friend."

With that, Veraan turned to re-enter the bar. He strolls over to the dwarf, feeling awkward for interrupting the drinking session yet again.

"Hello, Dwarf. My name Is Veraan. I would like to speak with you briefly about what happened here last night. Do you have a moment?"

lokiare1
01-14-2009, 11:18 PM
The Dwarf grumbles as Veraan comes over. He listens for a moment and says:

If you like your insides where their at ya' won't interrupt me again. On the other hand, if you join in may hap we can talk...

He looks at Veraan expectantly. The Eladrin looks a little paler than usual. He takes Veraan in at a glance and says:

Now see here. The wager was against you, not against any stranger that comes by. I refuse to pit myself against him after we've had three drinks already! If he wants to join he has to drink down three drink to catch up.

The dwarf meets the eyes of the Eladrin, then looks over at you he yells out an order for three more Eladrin wines.

Tis' only fair that you catch up to us. Drink up, and if you can keep up with us I'll tell you what I know.

Tsquared80
01-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Drinking.....

"My friend, let us be reasonable. You are a dwarf and I am intelligent enough to know I could never out-drink you."

Veraan hopes the compliment would get him out of trying to out-drink this obviously seasoned dwarf. He then looks over at the Eladrin, wondering what was in the wine.

"It is your drinking I wish to inquire you about; your drinking here last night in fact. Can you please assist me and my companions shed some light on the situation? I think you have proved yourself to the Eladrin as well; he doesn't look good..."

(OOC: I'm having issues with the dice roller. I want to make a Diplomacy check (1d20+6) to convince the dwarf out of drinking, but it's not showing the results)

Diplomacy

akela122301
01-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Doromii turns to Nobody and Guile, and says I suggest one of you come with me, and the other stay with Veraan. I have a feeling he may need backup. For that matter, I may need help too.

Doromii turns and walks off, in the direction of the prison.

lokiare1
01-15-2009, 10:53 AM
(OOC: Does anyone follow Doromii? Does anyone stay with Veraan?)

The dwarf grins and says:

Well now, I do love to talk about my drinking. Last night was an interesting night. Some knight came in and sat down at the bar talking with a halfling. Before I knew what was happening they sat down at me table and demanded that we have a drinking contest. The halfling did most of the talking. Twas' odd though, it seemed as though I had done somethin' to offend the knight. He must have taken it personally because he continued ta' order drink after drink. O' course being fair I drank twice fer every drink they had. Still the knight was drank under the table in less than a couple hours. The halfling dragged him home, and I earned myself a tidy sum on the whole proposition.

The dwarf drinks down his mug of eladrin wine, and smiles approvingly.

(OOC: Doromii needs to make a streetwise check)

Tsquared80
01-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Dragged him, home, eh? Veraan thinks this halfling wanted Cerin intoxicated on purpose... what better way than to try to out-drink a dwarf? Cerin MUST have been framed and this halfling is sure to be in on it.

"Thank you dwarf. Here is a silver for your troubles."

Veraan pulls out a silver and hands it to the dwarf.

"Now if we can get someone to drag this Eladrin home." Veraan says with a chuckle.

Let's hope Doromii has some luck getting to Cerin... Veraan believes the knight's story can close the loop with what is going on.

Veraan goes back and sits at his previous table, awaiting the return of Doromii.

akela122301
01-15-2009, 02:25 PM
(Whether or not anyone follows him) Doromii sets out toward the prison.
Streetwise
(That's without the "local" bonus, by the way)

darthseb
01-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Guile follows Doromii through the city. I hope Cerin will talk, for his sake and mine.

"So, Doromii... You're a local? Do you know your way around? I just recently traveled here, and I'm not exactly familiar with the place. I had to go through those dreadful swamps."

lokiare1
01-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Doromii and Guile: After taking a few side streets, and Doromii talking to a few guards Doromii finds out that Cerin is not allowed to have visitors, but his cell is one of the few that has a window to the outside. Upon arriving at the worn, but solid prison building Doromii directs Guile to the side of the building with a small window with several rusty steel bars blocking the way. The occupant seeing you walk toward his window says:

Help me please! I would not sully my knightly virtue by defiling such a bastion of hope as Sanctuary. You must assist me if you have any honor.

His unshaven face is pressed against the bars, and you see that his eyes are red and have bags under them. He is pale almost to the point of being green, and he winces anytime a cart rolls by or a vendor shouts about his wares. Despite looking ill he appears honest and forthcoming.

akela122301
01-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Doromii says to Cerin, Good Knight, we are here for that very purpose. A good friend of yours has hired us to find the truth.
Doromii turns to Guile.
Guile, I think you should be the one to question him, as you know more of magic than I

darthseb
01-16-2009, 09:07 PM
"Ah, well, yes, that would be a skill of mine." Enough gloating, you've got a job to do.

Guile looks to Cerin, clearing his throat. "Sir Cerin.. I can't possibly know how imprisonment has affected your mental state, but how would you grade your last pint at the bar?"

Guile tries to detect a magical effect on Cerin.

Arcana

lokiare1
01-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Guile and Doromii: There is no enchantment that you can discern. He appears ill though. He looks puzzled, then says:

Last pint? The last thing I remember is a dwarf challenging me to a drinking game. The next thing I knew I woke up in bed with Hanbrig banging my door down demanding to know what I had done. I explained that I had done nothing, but his dragonborn honor required that he lock me up until my innocence or guilt could be determined.

akela122301
01-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Doromii asks And what of the halfling that left the bar with you? The bartender says that a halfling wearing a red cloak convinced you to challenge the dwarf, and left the tavern with you afterward.

lokiare1
01-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Cerin looks puzzled.

I vaguely recall a short fellow in a red cloak. He was the one that delivered the dwarf's challenge. He stayed and participated in the match, but I recall nothing about going home that night.

darthseb
01-17-2009, 01:20 PM
"Are you saying you blacked out? Hmm.." Guile whispers to Doromii, "There's no magic to be found on him, mayhaps the halfling spiked his drink using other methods? ...-COUGHCOUGH-" Guile wipes his mouth, and silently grumbles, "..Allergies."

akela122301
01-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Doromii says to Guile, Friend, I think I see what happened. The halfling must have approached Cerin first, telling him that the dwarf wished to challenge him to a drinking contest. Then they went up to the dwarf, and the halfling challenged him. It's a classic double-bluff.

Nobody
01-27-2009, 05:51 PM
"Really could have fooled me." Nobody say with humor coloring his voice. "So what do we do wait till the halfling gets here or what?" Nobody contiues all emotion lost. (occ thanks for holding out)

Tsquared80
01-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Veraan wonders if anyone else around the town witnessed anything and is maybe too scared to speak up about the goings-on.

"Well, we could perhaps ask around the town to see if anyone else knows anything about what went on here, but we should stay close to the tavern; we don't want to lose the others."

Veraan stands up and makes his way to the tavern's door. Peering outside, he sees....