PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread



Pages : [1] 2

tesral
12-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Sir Corwyn would be called before the Earl.

"Sir Corwyn, good and well met. I have reports of bandits on the road twixt Shrewsbury and Mallwyd on the Welsh border. Being that thou speaks the language and knows the country I charge thee to take ten men at arms and go forth to deal with these men. Make the road safe for travel. Bring them back for trial if they permit it, but if they do not, do not hesitate to relieve God's Earth of their pestilence."

Bearfoot_Adam
12-27-2008, 08:06 PM
"I will leave on the morrow if it please you. Commerce must not be impeded. I will consider it an honor to bring peace to the roads. I will pray that these men will be brought before you, though I will not hesitate to deliver justice by force if necessary. I will leave and inform the men who will travel with me."

As Sir Colwyn went through the pleasantries with his liege he began a mental list of things he needed to do before he left. First, speak with the chief clerk to learn more of these bandit attacks. How many attacks? What was taken? Were there injuries? Do we know the names and numbers of these bandits. Who was first to report of the attacks. Second see to the supplies needed for his men and the prisoners being brought back. It's a full days ride to Mallwyd on a fast horse. That is hilly country good places to hide. So figure for a six day journey at the most. Thats 66 day rations for the men, take another 34 for the prsioners to keep things even, plus good solid rope.........Sir Colwyn's gaze broke form the earls as numbers and weights began tallying up in Sir Colwyns head.

((I edited a bit. IT has been some time since I PBPed. I forgot the pace of things and my initial post I felt was a little to hasty. p.s. what time of year is it? and I updated my equipment list))

tesral
12-28-2008, 09:27 PM
There have been three reports to the Earl, that could well mean many more attacks that were never reported.

The merchants where all cleaned out to the clothes on their backs. No names were given and reports vary from 5 to 15 depending on who is reporting. Thus far of those that reported there were no injuries.

The clerk going through the records reports that two nude bodies were also found along the road by other travelers. Might be related, might note. The local Shire Rieves are looking into the murders.

They would get the gear, add a couple of teamsters and a wagon for the extra stuff.

The current season is spring, no long passed the Feast of Easter.

As to the Earl himself he is a young man not long into his honors. His Father the Old Earl died last spring. He is a kindly man that gives generously to the poor and is seen often in the Church. He neither partakes overly of drink, nor of peasant girls, cleaving to his wedded Lady as a good man should. They have five children as thier marriage is well blessed.

It is whispered that the Earl is the descendant of a Welshman and Crusader that became a monk in his later years. He is venerated by some of the local people as a folk Saint. He is buried in the Abby Church. Cadfael the Kind he was called. Known in his time some 100 years past as a man of great wisdom and learning. It is said that as many miracles are attributed to Cadfael as are credited to St Helen whose relics lay in the Abby church.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-29-2008, 04:46 PM
*the next morning*
Sir Colwyn has gathered the men together to address them in the courtyard.

"We are pursuing thieves and possible murderers. We're traveling in good country for hiding so I want sharp eyes. That means I will not tolerate drunkenness on this venture. On a successful return each man will be rewarded with a half gallon of ale, till that time stay sober. There's a silver penny (holding up the coin) for the man that spots an ambush before it's upon us. May God's grace be upon us and bless our task. God save the King!"

Sir. Colwyn mounts his horse and leads the men on the road to Mallwyd.

tesral
12-30-2008, 09:14 PM
All: "God Save the King!"

The small group of men move out of Shewsbury Castle and though the town exiting through the west gate, they move out on the road to Mallwyd. If these bandits are typical, it will hard on the border country before they see hide or hair of same. Tis 45 miles to Malwyd and 40+ to the Welsh border. Indeed all the robberies reported came from the border area.

Aye, even through good King Edward II and the work of his son our King Edward III has made great strides in subduing the border bandits they have never entirely vanished.

12 dusty miles are marched that day to Middle Towne. Dusk is settling in when you and your weary men arrive in the village.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Sir. Colwyn first sets to finding lodging for his men and himself either at an inn, church, or quartering with the towns folk. Before releasing the men for the evening that he tells them to plan for another day of hard marching at first light and demands clear, sober heads in the morning. He reminds them of their obligation to the earl, that God watches their actions, and that any misconduct will be dealt with harshly. Afterwards he has his evenign meal. IF nothing of note happens that evening he visits the men one last time and then goes to sleep.

** I hope these posts are satisfactory. I'm not sure how much dialouge you are looking for. I can modify my style to allow for more interaction**

tesral
12-31-2008, 12:55 PM
You're doing fine.

Being a frequently traveled road the Inn is of some size. Sir Colwyn would quickly get is men quartered. The innkeeper would open his finest room for the Knight.

As they are eating he is getting some saucy glances from the bar wench.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Sir. Colwyn's cheeks noticeably color, and not from the watered wine in his cup. Feeling sheepish with his men around him though not wanting to turn away such a welcome gaze he tries to summon the after hour lessons of Sir. Paul and return her glance with equal suggestiveness. When she goes to refill his cup Sir. Colwyn clears his throat. "I couldn't help but notice um... (takeing a drink)...Would you be so kind as to do me the honor of joining me for a dri... I mean to say if you are agreeable or rather if you find it um.. proper um (exhaleing) Did you know I have been charged with stoppng a band of bandits?" (trying to smile)

tesral
01-01-2009, 11:40 AM
A wealth of emotions flickers across her face. **Is this guy too green to burn?**

"Bandits? How fascinating."

Bearfoot_Adam
01-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Finally, finding sure footing Sir. Colwyn again clears his throat. "Yes, I guess it is at that. Tis a great honor to fight to keep the road ways free of such banditry, a task that the good Earl of Shrewsbury personally assigned to me. uh... Perhaps you can sit and tell me if you have heard any tales regarding such wicked business as thievery in the border lands west of hear. I am sure that not many men could refuse a boast to one as fair as you.

tesral
01-04-2009, 12:55 AM
"Oh indeed. I find such things leave my poor heart racing. It would do me great good to comfort such a man before he must enter battle with depraved bandits."

Bearfoot_Adam
01-04-2009, 11:42 AM
"Oh, but does not the church also look down at comfort as yet another form of depravity? Too much comfort leads to sloth does it not? But please sit. I pray, tell me of any stories you may have heard about these troubles in the west. For if tomorrow , like Daniel, I walk into the lions den then at least for tonight I may share your fine company fine maiden."

tesral
01-05-2009, 11:30 AM
He would get much comfort. As much as he cares to take that night. The maid is most willing and quite squirmy.

In the morning cold and hard his men are breakfasting on bread and stale ale as is the custom. He would see a few grins quickly wiped away when they catch him looking. The mornings march would start out in good humor.

The morning is going well other than being held up for a while by a herd of sheep crossing the road. Late morning has them making good time and approaching the walled town of Welshpool. The road ahead seems to be heavily trafficked and said traffic at a total standstill. Tinkers, merchants, and pilgrims all are standing about and only the foot traffic is getting by. That which cares to. The problem seems to be that smack in the middle the sunken narrow lane is an oxcart well mired in and the team is laying down on the job. While he and his men could get around, their wagon cannot.

Bearfoot_Adam
01-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Having assessed the situation, and haveing some experience in these matters Sir. Cowyn rides to the side of the road to address the travelers. "Right then, I am Sir. Colwyn, Knight in service to the earl of Shrewsbury. This cart seems good and truly mired. I'll have some of my men unload it's contents into our wagon. If their is a shovel about will some one start to digging this cart free of the muck. While they are about their task I'll need a pry bar and a hammer to romove some of the slat boards from this wagon to place underneath the wheels. Now we are all in this so let's be quick about these tasks so we can all get under way." When these tasks are accomplished I will apply a not so subtle handle animal check to the oxen to see if I can get the beasts moving and remove the wagon. If successfull I will have the men on the shovels fill the ruts as best they can and leave two men to guide the carts across using the boards as bridge. Once within the walls of Welshpool I will see to getting a team together with gravel to repair the road more competely.

tesral
01-07-2009, 11:48 AM
With someone to give direction and athority people move. A shovel is located, boards are produced, and labor offered. With a bit of prodding the Oxen are up and the wagon moving. Soon the road jab is cleared. His men taking lesson from the ox cart get behind their own supply wagon and push it through the mire.

They are shortly in Welshpool. The town is busy on a market day. As his men pass slowly among the hawkers and merchants he spots Sir Allyn who was made a Knight in the same Vigle as himself.

(Jay, that is a sign you should jump in.)

Bearfoot_Adam
01-07-2009, 04:33 PM
"Ah, Sir. Allyn. A familiar face is truly a Godsend in this mob. How goes it?"

jayphailey
01-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Allyn is slighly above average height and of a build that identified him as a man at arms.

"Sir Colwyn, Well met! I haven't seen you in this last week. What news of Shropshire have you?"

jay ~Meow!~

Bearfoot_Adam
01-08-2009, 10:06 PM
"Much to tell, much to tell indeed. But first let us leave this mob for a better place to sit and talk." For the second night Sir. Colwyn finds a modest inn for the men and himself. Later with Sir. Allyn at the table he fills Allyn in on the recent events. "Things are dark Sir. Allyn dark. Acts of thievery on the border,men robbed of even the clothes off their backs, and worse still they may have committed murder as well. This has caused the good earl to send myself and these men after these thugs. It has kept me from going over father's quarterly figures. With Easter come and gone the trade season is well under way and I know that there is much to be accounted for..... Forgive me I carry on I know. You have no desire to hear of such business I'm sure. About this business on the border I sure could use another sword arm if you feel you are up to the task. I'm sure the Earl would be pleased if you join us. And if he doesn't I at the least know of a fine young tavern lass in middle town who is very appreciative of an adventure story if you catch my meaning."

Bearfoot_Adam
01-09-2009, 10:43 PM
"Well, Regardless take the night to think on it. I will be taking my leave at mornings first light. Which mean that I will have an early evening, so I say good night to you." Sir' Colwyn finishes his meal then retires to his room.

jayphailey
01-10-2009, 05:47 PM
> "Much to tell, much to tell indeed. But first let us leave this mob
> for a better place to sit and talk." For the second night Sir. Colwyn
> finds a modest inn for the men and himself. Later with Sir. Allyn at
> the table he fills Allyn in on the recent events. "Things are dark
> Sir. Allyn dark. Acts of thievery on the border,men robbed of even
> the clothes off their backs, and worse still they may have committed
> murder as well. This has caused the good earl to send myself and
> these men after these thugs.

Allyn: "Indeed. My master, Heath, was right, Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

> It has kept me from going over father's
> quarterly figures. With Easter come and gone the trade season is
> well under way and I know that there is much to be accounted for.....

Allyn: "I sympathize with you, however, These thieves and bandits are inconveniencing the people of their goods and their lives. When they are driven away, or their heads adorn the roads as a warning, I suspect the business of business will run much more smoothly."


> Forgive me I carry on I know. You have no desire to hear of such
> business I'm sure. About this business on the border I sure could use
> another sword arm if you feel you are up to the task. I'm sure the
> Earl would be pleased if you join us.

Allyn: "Thank you for your invitation. You are generous to share such glory with a humble beginner such as myself. I would enjoy such a hunt."

> And if he doesn't I at the least know of a fine young tavern lass in
> middle town who is very appreciative of an adventure story if you
> catch my meaning."

Allyn grins: "Well, let's not disappoint her. We shall quest in hunt of bandits and give her a fine tale for her evenings labors."


> "Well, Regardless take the night to think on it. I will be taking my
> leave at mornings first light. Which mean that I will have an early
> evening, so I say good night to you." Sir' Colwyn finishes his meal
> then retires to his room.

Allyn: "Tomorrow, then, at Sunrise. I'll see you here, Sir Colwyn."

Jay ~Meow!~

Bearfoot_Adam
01-10-2009, 07:14 PM
*the next morning*
With the cool spring air in their lungs Sir. Allyn, Sir. Colwyn and their ten men of arms make for the Welsh border.

tesral
01-11-2009, 01:21 AM
The morning comes without incident. As requested the men have laid lightly into their cups and no man is hung over or drunk. They resume their march.

The roads are hard and dry and they press on to Llangadfan. they are five miles from the Welsh border they will be into the area the Bandits are said to frequent on the morrow.

They would find an old traveler's rest, weary and careworn it slouches beside the road. The common room is small and smoky and they hear Welsh as much as English from the locals.

Sir Colwyn would hear a couple of the locals speaking in hushed tones. the language is Welsh, and they don't seem to want to be heard. Yet they are not overly cautious about their speech.

"What make you of the Normans brother Llewellyn?"
"Trouble I would say. Two Normans, men at arms and a wagon. It could be good pickings."
"Send Ffanci over to them, she can get the meaning of it."

Sir Allyn seems unhearing of these words.

Bearfoot_Adam
01-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Sir. Colwyn calls out to the serving staff in the Angles tongue. "I need hot meals for 12, a brazier and enough coal or wood to last a night." In a hushed private tone he turns to Sir. Allyn "Can you take 4 men out to stand in front of the wagon? Tell them to guard the dry barrels like they contained the crown jewels. For tonight call me... Thomas. I think some of our quarry dines at this very place tonight. Let's give them a bit of a show if we can. Please come back in when you have the men situated and we will sup."

jayphailey
01-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Sir Allyn seems unhearing of these words.

Allyn looks on, oblivious.

Jay ~Meow!~

tesral
01-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Jay is having a "busy week" so....

The men are thus posted as requested. Until otherwise stated Sir Allyn is playing the non-Welsh speaking clueless guy (very well as he doesn't speak Welsh.)

As sir Colwyn has given no indication he knows Welsh they are taking that as truth so far.

Sir Colwyn and Sir Allyn are well into there meal when a woman of dark beauty approaches their table.

Girl (breathlessly and refilling their cups) "M'lords, pray by what honor are we so graced by thy presence?"

19 on the spot Colwyn tastes that his watered wine isn't quite as watered.
18 on the spot Allyn tastes that his watered wine isn't quite as watered.

jayphailey
01-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Girl (breathlessly and refilling their cups) "M'lords, pray by what honor are we so graced by thy presence?"

19 on the spot Colwyn tastes that his watered wine isn't quite as watered.
18 on the spot Allyn tastes that his watered wine isn't quite as watered.


Allyn sips lightly. "What is your name, [Sweetheart]?"

for [Sweetheart] please read a culturally appropriate term.

OOC - Fortunately I have spent YEARS developing an immunity to Iocaine Powder!


Jay ~Meow!~

Bearfoot_Adam
01-15-2009, 12:13 AM
"Tis no great honor I am afraid. Barely more than an errand. One that I will be glad to see the end of at that. We are on to Mallwyd with gifts of spice and eastern treasures to butter up some country noble so they will give up their daughter to a merchants son. I truly have no desire to play match maker, but here I am on this task that is more suited to women." As the evening progresses Sir. Colwyn drinks little. If the floors are earthen and no one is watching he spills his cups contents onto the bare soil. When they have a private moment Colwyn describes his suspicions more thouroughly to Allyn and informs him of the serving girls involvement. That night he divideds the remaining men to their watch shifts and gives them the same instructions as the soldiers before. If he catches the tavern girl spending time at the expected bandits table he will get up and linger in there direction on his way out the door to relieve himself hoping to catch their conversation.

tesral
01-16-2009, 09:02 AM
"Girl": "I am called Ffanci, let be know if you need anything. It must be a great honor to serve the Earl in such a manner.

And yes the floor is dirt covered in the Medieval carpet, rushes. So yes, spilling a drink of five isn't going to get a great deal of notice.

The innkeeper really likes the two of you. By the third serving the wine is half brandy.

BTW are you warning the Men about the drinks?

Other than men around the wagon, what precautions are you taking that night?

Situation: the Inn is a single story affair built around a "courtyard". Your wagon is in said courtyard. (A fenced area between the Inn and the Stable). The men are given a larger common sleeping area. The Men of Quality would be sharing a more private room with a Benedictine monk that snores.

Bearfoot_Adam
01-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Well as stated before I would like a fire near the wagon for both heat and light. I would recommend to Allyn that they each take shifts of two hours on and two off. He lets the men know that the previous evening warnings go double for tonight.As the brandy begins to overwhelm the cup Colwyn's drinking begins to slow greatly and I'm sure a puddle of mud that could drown a Scotsmen is forming at his feet. Mostly Colwyn is set to listening to the conversations trying to gleam any useful information from the Welsh speaking patrons. Once the private room is arranged Colwyn goes out to the wagon. grabs the smallest closed container and brings it in with him when he retires for the night. It most likely contains sundry items but colwyn gives it attention as if it's contents were most precious.

jayphailey
01-17-2009, 12:46 PM
"Girl": "I am called Ffanci, let be know if you need anything. It must be a great honor to serve the Earl in such a manner.

Allyn: "Yes, miss Ffanci. The Earl is gracious indeed."



And yes the floor is dirt covered in the Medieval carpet, rushes. So yes, spilling a drink of five isn't going to get a great deal of notice.

The innkeeper really likes the two of you. By the third serving the wine is half brandy.

BTW are you warning the Men about the drinks?

yes. Allyn will go and check on them (And learn thier names) while introducing himself he'll whisper quietly "Watch the wine. I think they're trying to lubricate us to get our guards down."


Other than men around the wagon, what precautions are you taking that night?

Situation: the Inn is a single story affair built around a "courtyard". Your wagon is in said courtyard. (A fenced area between the Inn and the Stable). The men are given a larger common sleeping area. The Men of Quality would be sharing a more private room with a Benedictine monk that snores.


Okay. two men on watch at all times. Two hour (Roughly) shifts on watch.

Allyn will take the mid watch with one of the MoA.

Jay ~Meow!~
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Oh and Allyn is also sipping his "Wine" slowly.

Jay ~Meow!~
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Oh, and Allyn is sipping his "wine" very slowly.

jay ~Meow!~

tesral
01-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Colwyn's further eavesdropping is not garnering further information. Unless he really cares about the state of someone's flock.

The men "half guard" the wagon, forewarned they drink lightly and play at drunker than they are.

Once they have retired some time would pass,

In the Room: It is Allyn's turn to rest. Worry is keeping him restless and he is not sleeping. Therefor he hears the door open softly. A lone figure enters the room without a light. The figure is getting its bearings in the faint light from the window. It moves toward the "strongbox" that Colwyn brought in earlier. (It's really Colwyn's extra clothing.)

In the Courtyard: Colwyn is sitting about with the guards watching the fire (and into the darkness beyond same.) One of the men nudges Sir Colwyn's toe. Wordlessly in jerks his head toward a corner of the Courtyard near the stable. A dark figure can just be made out creeping along the wall line towards the wagon.

Bearfoot_Adam
01-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Sir. Colwyn reaches for a small pile of thinner branches, fuel that will burn bright as opposed to hot. Noting that Colwyn and the men are not at full strength and not the best time for a physical confrontation he gives a wuick look around the courtyard for other late night wanderers and cries out in the direction of the dark figure. "Who goes there."

jayphailey
01-19-2009, 05:21 PM
In the Room: It is Allyn's turn to rest. Worry is keeping him restless and he is not sleeping. Therefor he hears the door open softly. A lone figure enters the room without a light. The figure is getting its bearings in the faint light from the window. It moves toward the "strongbox" that Colwyn brought in earlier. (It's really Colwyn's extra clothing.)

Allyn waits until the figure is at the "strong box" and then rolls out of bed and hurls himself into the door, slamming it closed. His intent is the slam the door shut trapping the sneak-thief in with himself.

Jay ~Meow!~

tesral
01-20-2009, 09:29 PM
In the Courtyard: The figure flees into the stable. His men on on their feet weapons in hand not looking nearly as drunk as a moment ago.

In the Room: The figure whirls about revealing a feminine form against the window, the glint of a dagger in her hand.

Bearfoot_Adam
01-20-2009, 11:44 PM
"You all! Stay with the wagon. You,(singling out one man) with me. We must check the horse" As Colwyn walks to the stables he whispers to his man. "We want him to escape with luck he will bring his entire band tomorrow and then we can finish this."

jayphailey
01-21-2009, 07:16 PM
In the Room: The figure whirls about revealing a feminine form against the window, the glint of a dagger in her hand.

Now, what in the world is the Courtly reaction to this sort of a situation?

Allyn: (Fishing for time) "My apologies, Miss. I suspect that a mistake has occurred."

Allyn isn't naive, but the polite and gentlemanly thing to do is to offer her a gracious avenue of retreat.

Jay ~Meow!~

tesral
01-22-2009, 04:55 AM
In the Stable: It is easy enough to stumble around "checking the horses" and letting the whoever get away.

In the Room: The manner changes at once. "Oh, sorry, I'm in the wrong room. The glint disappears. Do you mind if I leave?"

Bearfoot_Adam
01-22-2009, 10:26 AM
After checking the horses Colwyn thanks his men for their service and heads inside the in to change the watch and inform Sir. Allyn of the events in the courtyard.

jayphailey
01-22-2009, 07:41 PM
In the Room: The manner changes at once. "Oh, sorry, I'm in the wrong room. The glint disappears. Do you mind if I leave?"

Allyn: "Please forgive my state of dress. I didn't expect company. Please allow me to put on a robe and then I shall escort you safely to your room.

Edge towards the lamp to light it..... If his room has one.

Jay ~meow!~

tesral
01-26-2009, 08:26 AM
My apologies gents as I was heavily occupied away from the computer this weekend.

Cowlyn would arrive just as Allyn is "escorting" the young lady out of the room. The woman is Ffanci the barmaid in a much better gown.

jayphailey
01-26-2009, 08:21 PM
My apologies gents as I was heavily occupied away from the computer this weekend.

Cowlyn would arrive just as Allyn is "escorting" the young lady out of the room. The woman is Ffanci the barmaid in a much better gown.


Not Courtly at all, to be caught escorting a lady from one's room. Allyn to Corwyn: "Sir Corwyn, you recall our hostess from this evening, Ffanci? Her grace and modesty are remarkable."

Jay ~Meow!~

Bearfoot_Adam
01-26-2009, 08:56 PM
"Yes, I'm sure they are. It seems that you had a much more pleasant evening then I. I surely hope you did not wake the monk. But if you are done dallying with the help I must discuss things with you."

tesral
01-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Ffanci slips away the Monk is still snoring loudly. He should have quite the woodpile by morning.

Bearfoot_Adam
01-29-2009, 12:47 PM
After Allyn is informed of the goings on outside. Colwyn mentions the idea of a more leisurely morning than those of days past to make up for the lack of sleep. As soon as the men seem alert and well fed he would have them hitch up the wagon and saddle the horses to continue on their journey. When the inn is well past them calls for sharp eyes but asks the men to sing and carry on as if care free.

jayphailey
01-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Allyn, later, quietly informs Colwyn of the events in his room.

Allyn: "I always thought that 'Den of Thieves' was a figure of speech! Truly this place is a trap for the unwary."


Jay ~Meow!~

tesral
02-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Thus informed they journey on into the new day.

As Sir Colwyn requested the men affect a carefree attitude. A couple of the men are a little less that cheerful due to a slightly late warning on the strength of the beer.

The morning progresses. As the noon hour approaches they come across a tree down across the road. There was no storm last night and no stump in evidence.

Bearfoot_Adam
02-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Colwyn calls the men to a hold as he puts a hand to his sword. He then looks around to get a more detailed look at the surroundings. Hills, densely forested what have you.

tesral
02-03-2009, 06:50 PM
OOG: Jay looks a little busy, but we move forward.

"ARRR!" A dozen or more men spring up from around the bushes. Your vigilance gives them no surprise.

Please state your intended actions. I will handle the dice and combat moves. I'll do two rounds and report, and ask for actions again. Give me at least two rounds worth of intentions.

Jay and "Bear" each take five men and dictate their actions. "Bear" has the north side of the road, Jay has the south side men. There are ten men-at-arms and two teamsters (non fighter types)

jayphailey
02-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Jay and "Bear" each take five men and dictate their actions. "Bear" has the north side of the road, Jay has the south side men. There are ten men-at-arms and two teamsters (non fighter types)

Please describe the terrain. Are the men at arms on horseback? Do they dismount to fight?

You mention bushes as things for the bandits to pop up out of, but little else.

The terrain dictates the tactic

Generally Allyn draws weapons, shouts "Left Side! To Me! Attack!" and attacks aggressively.

These bandits are not trained soldiers so we want to neutralize their advantages (Cover and range) and play to ours - (Close order fighting, violence.).

Jay ~Meow!~

tesral
02-03-2009, 10:41 PM
The road is slightly sunken from the meadows (1 foot) about with occasional clumps of trees and hedge rows a bit back from the road. The blocking tree in question is out of place.

The bandits rise out of the hedgerow to either side. They are armed mostly with axes and a few old swords.

The men-at-arms are on foot. All are wearing livery and light armor. All have axes and halbreds. Swords are expensive.

Bearfoot_Adam
02-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Raiding his sword. "Right side form a line! Halberds out! You there! (to the bandits in his most threatening voice) Lay down your arms or prepare to be judged by thine maker!" With the Right side waiting to meet the charge Colwyn positions his mount at the Western end of the line. If the bandits press the attack he will ride at there flank ready to, disrupt their charge, trample men and dispense justice with his sword.

tesral
02-05-2009, 12:52 AM
With a roar the men surge upward toward the bandits even as they move to engage the men.

The men at arms strike. Several of the bandits are wounded at once. None fall as of yet. Sir Colwyn brings his sword down on the nearest bandit, he rears his horse bringing the hooves crushing down on his foe.

On the other side of the road Sir Allyn urges the men upward with equal success. His man dodges the blow of the sword only to be landed a vicious kick from the warhorse.

The bandits hold their line, striking several men but felling no one. The men hit by Sir Colwyn and Sir Allyn are down.

The battle continues the men at arms press on. Two of the bandits fall.

Moving into the mass Sir Colywn strikes again. A right fair strike once again felling his man with sword and the hooves of his mount.

Sir Allyn leads likewise. again missing his man but getting in a blow from the horse. But the man falls not.

Another figure comes sailing over the felled tree on his horse, crying "Be the foulest of swine, by St. Matthew, I smite you!" With a vicious swing he brings a mace down on the head of a hapless bandit crushing it nearly out of existence. (Critical hit)

The bandits having lost nearly half their number so quickly bolt for the bushes. (withdraw, no AoO)

Actions for the next round all players.

wizarddog
02-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Sir Edmond de Alberico reigns his black horse and turns towards the two Knights. His banner blazing displays his station; a Knight in the service of Earl of Stropshire, orderd to protect the Earls' assets and taxes of the lands.

The pale faced man, thin in the face, speaks quickly.

"Our quarry flees into forest! Less we have a prisoner amongst the vanquished who's tongue I can lossen, we must give chase while the rabbit runs. What say ye?"

Bearfoot_Adam
02-05-2009, 09:49 AM
The thrill of battle still hot in his blood Sir. Colwyn cries out. "Good work men. Now spread out the line and pursue but stay in formation. You be the net and I will turn our catch to you. Sir. Edmond, a blessing you are truly. If you take the West side I will take the East. If you agree Sir. Allyn then let us reign in these brigands."

tesral
02-08-2009, 03:26 AM
Forward in pursuit.

To the South Sir Colwyn and five men chase the remaining bandits.

To the North Sir Edmond and Sir Allyn with five of the men set out after the retreating foe.

Sir Colwyn quickly finds himself abreast of a fleeing bandit. He strikes down, the man quickly ducking away from the sword. His doing so make is easy for two of the men to rush and grapple him, they have him well held. (Further action Sir Colwyn)

On the north side of the road the two Knights close with the fleeing bandits. Sir Edmond likewise misses his man. No men an arms can grab him.

Sir Allyn decends like wrath itself, striking the man fair across the back sending the man tumbling to the earth and he is quickly over taken by the Men and held.

Other bandints are still fleeing into the brush and bramble.

Meanwhile one of the teamsters has lit from the wagon and is checking the two bandits felled.

Actions?

Bearfoot_Adam
02-08-2009, 10:40 AM
OOC: Did they unhorse me? Or was the brush too thick for me to ride through?

wizarddog
02-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Sir Edmond turns his horse to the fallen bandit that Sir Allyn so skillfully brought down.

"A good hit, Sir Allyn!"

To his men: "Hold him well, he will provide us the necessary information we seek. To move further into their terrain we risk falling into another ambush. I prefer to know our quarry before entering into their lair"

Sir Edmond then tries to access which direction the bandits have fled and if he knows the terrain or settlement in that direction. (Any knowledge or sense motive)

tesral
02-08-2009, 08:11 PM
OOC: Did they unhorse me? Or was the brush too thick for me to ride through?

You're still on your horse they grabbed the man you knocked down.

Bearfoot_Adam
02-08-2009, 11:05 PM
OOC: Sorry, I had pronoun confusion.

Sir. Colwyn would reach down give a hard thump with the pommel of his sword to knock the man unconscious and then try to pursue the bandits.

tesral
02-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Sir Edmond turns his horse to the fallen bandit that Sir Allyn so skillfully brought down.

"A good hit, Sir Allyn!"

To his men: "Hold him well, he will provide us the necessary information we seek. To move further into their terrain we risk falling into another ambush. I prefer to know our quarry before entering into their lair"

Sir Edmond then tries to access which direction the bandits have fled and if he knows the terrain or settlement in that direction. (Any knowledge or sense motive)

Hither, tither, and yon. The remaining men obviously know the ways through the brambles and have left each in a separate direction. One could chase them, but you would have ot split upo to do so, and they have ducked into the brush.


OOC: Sorry, I had pronoun confusion.

Sir. Colwyn would reach down give a hard thump with the pommel of his sword to knock the man unconscious and then try to pursue the bandits.

Again those remaining have taken advantage of paths unknown to you. The country about is "impassible" brambles. Obviously not impassable as the bandits have passed. However your horse resists going forward into the chest high brambles, and the men you are chasing have ducked below the level of the brush.

wizarddog
02-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Sir Edmond dismounts and approcahes the man held by Sir Allyn's men. He fiddles with his rosary as he approaches the bandit. If concious, he begins to question.

"Tis a sad day when men of this land haf taken the road to damnation. Speak, boy! Where hither do your rabble run so urgently from our swords? I cannot promise you a heavenly reception, but the justice I abide will be swift and fair."

Bearfoot_Adam
02-11-2009, 03:21 PM
That being the Case Sir. Colwyn would instruct the men to hold the captive tight and regroup with the others.

tesral
02-11-2009, 06:45 PM
"Tis a sad day when men of this land haf taken the road to damnation. Speak, boy! Where hither do your rabble run so urgently from our swords? I cannot promise you a heavenly reception, but the justice I abide will be swift and fair."

The captive looks him in the eye blood seeping from his wound. "When has England ever been about God and Justice? You fine men who finger your roseries, and trample God's people beneath your horses' hooves. I'l tell you nothing, and expect no justice."


That being the Case Sir. Colwyn would instruct the men to hold the captive tight and regroup with the others.

They regroup, severla of the men are wounded and need looking to. The tree needs to be moved off the road as well.

One of the teamsters would speak up. "M'lord, Jake and me, we kin get that tree moved if we kin unhich the horses and use them. Do it quick too."

Bearfoot_Adam
02-11-2009, 11:47 PM
To the teamsters. "Get to it, but be wary, they may try to come at us again. You did well keeping the horses calm." For two of the unwounded me he asks them to bind the prisoners who are still alive, and to place the fallen men in the wagon to be taken to the nearest village for burial. Sir. Colwyn will next go to his wounded men helping where he can but mostly offering private words of encouragement and praise for their efforts. If Colwyn hears the words of the prisoner he would like to reply.

tesral
02-15-2009, 05:10 PM
In the time required to clear the road and store the two captives no one attempts another attack. Those bandits felled at the road are dead.

You must decide to continue to you stated destination, or turn around and go back.

jayphailey
02-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Allyn: "Thank you, Sir Edmond." To Collwyn
"These bandits have the advantage of us in the brush. Let us regroup here and see to our wounded. A healthy man in the service of the Earl is worth three Bandit heads on pikes."

After: "I say press head. We have superior strength of arms. It would be wise to learn what facts we may gather."

Jay ~meow!~

Bearfoot_Adam
02-16-2009, 02:20 AM
To Allyn and Edmond. "I agree we should rest up. Besides I must have words with one of our captives." Colwyn heads over to the man who spoke out against England. In Welsh he says for all the captives to hear. "Was it you who cried out about God and justice? What would a man who robs, commits murder and leaves a body naked in a river know of justice? Tis clearly no act of God? Did I not cry out at the beginning of the fight to lay down arms? But still you and the rabble came on. When I talk of justice, which those living will see, I speak of the Earl of Shropshire. This man, decent of Cadfael the Kind, knows justice, Knows mercy. Many times while sitting at my mothers apron I heard the tales of Cadfael and I am hear to tell you that the Earl aspires to be like that man. If you would help us bring the other men in your party to justice, especially a peaceful one. It would show great favor on your part when you are presented to this decendent of Cadfael. God and justice. I may only be Welch on my mothers side but I still know a true Welshmen would know true justice when he saw it and would never commit the act of murder on a poor soul just trying to get their goods to market. Now you think on that. Think hard. Help us end this injustice. Bring your case to the good Earl of Shropshire and know true justice and thank God for it."

jayphailey
02-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Allyn helps get the wounded ready to move.

Jay ~Meow!~

tesral
02-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Bring your case to the good Earl of Shropshire and know true justice and thank God for it."

Bandit: "Any man that bows before Edward is no friend of Wales."

The wagon is rehitched, the wounded cared for, the dead? What are you doing with the dead?

Captives in the wagon.

Direction is not yet determined. Forward to Mallwed, a destination picked to find bandits, or back to Llangadfan from which you first heard word of these ruffians.

You are currently a mile plus from Llangadfan, not quite to the village of Foel, still a good seven miles form Mallwyd.

Bearfoot_Adam
02-17-2009, 10:40 PM
"I say we head back to Llangadfan. See if that Ffanci has anything else to say. As for the dead we should bring them with us. No matter what they did they deserve a proper burial."

jayphailey
02-18-2009, 07:01 PM
You are currently a mile plus from Llangadfan, not quite to the village of Foel, still a good seven miles form Mallwyd.

Allyn: "We should head to Foel. They may have a church there. We can bury these men properly, and send them off to their reward."

Jay ~Meow!~

tesral
02-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Still looking for a decision and Wizarddog.

wizarddog
02-19-2009, 12:05 AM
"Tis better these men are hasten to heaven with last rights. St. Peter will judge them well. To Foel is my advice. But we should not delay, our quarry may decide another ambush is warranted."

Bearfoot_Adam
02-19-2009, 12:15 AM
"To Foel then."

tesral
02-19-2009, 02:03 AM
To Foel then. It is not far up the road. The village is indeed a small one, more of a Hamlet. It does not have a church.

wizarddog
02-19-2009, 08:14 AM
"It appears our zealous to move foward has been for naught. If we seek the aid of the villagers, we can bury these men in their local graveyard. I am with plain prose, but little need be said to send these sinners foward to their judgement."

Sir Edmond then begins to get a feeling for the hamlet; if the knights and their men are observed he tries to read the villagers faces if they hold a curiosity or fear of our arrival with our cargo. However he says nothing, allowing the other knights to speak. He tries to read into any responses of the villagers.

Bearfoot_Adam
02-22-2009, 12:07 AM
"We should also see if any of these men are claimed so that their families may be put at ease."

tesral
02-23-2009, 11:24 PM
OOG NOTE: My wife is on Vacation this week, my posting is likely to be on the spotty side. Regular behavior should return when I am less distracted.

Back to the Game.

Foel doesn't even have a grave yard. It's a wide spot in the road. Llangadfan is a mile back East, what few people are here obviously make mass in Llangadfan and bury their dead there too it seems.

The knights are mostly getting sly looks from out of mostly closed doors. No one has offered ot co0me forward ot speak with them. The men in any case would be in the fields this time of day, not around the houses.

Bearfoot_Adam
02-24-2009, 11:47 PM
"Well it is unchristian to be carrying these bodies with us and we won't find much here. I say we head back to Llangadfan. It is there that we will find proper rest for both our men and these fallen souls." To the prisoners. "I ask one more time, if only to give these men final peace did any of these dead make there homes here. We have no interest in persecuting the families any further then we have already done by taking a life."

wizarddog
02-25-2009, 04:50 AM
"I say we head back to Llangadfan.

Sir Edmond grunts in agreement.

jayphailey
02-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Allyn Nods. "Aye, Then we'd best move directly. I don't relish being in these woods at night with men who know the terrain thirsting for my scalp."

Jay ~Meow!~

tesral
03-01-2009, 01:41 AM
You turn around and head back to Llangadfan. It will take about two hours and you arrive As you noted before there is a church. Not a large one but present none the less.

You are getting a few curious looks from people that obviously didn't expect to see you again, or at least not this soon. One of these is Ffanci the bar maid who is drawing watter at the well. She would leave her bucket and moves away.

Poke poke guys.

jayphailey
03-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Move to the church and awaken the Priest attached to it.

"I regret the bother, Father, but we have dead men out here who require last rights."

Jay ~Meow!~

wizarddog
03-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Sir Edmond tries to sense if Ffanci's abandonment of the bucket was out of fear or other emotion that would be suspicious. He has not been to this town since his last business for the Duke (collecting Taxes due) probably some time ago. He cares not if they have any animosity to him and his station. He was simply doing his duty.

Bearfoot_Adam
03-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Calls on Edmond to help him bring Ffanci into custody.

tesral
03-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Edmond: That would be a sense motive Roll She is making no effort to hide her feelings so no bluff counter check. Yes, she seems fearful.

Corywn: Begins to chase the woman. Calls Edmond to help him.

Ffanci hampered by her full skirts is losing ground on Corywn. She is showing open fear. She may or may not get to the Church first.

Allyn approaching the Church would see the chase break out. As it happens she is running toward the church.

Actions.

Bearfoot_Adam
03-04-2009, 02:22 AM
As Colwyn approaches he calls out in Welsh to try and rattle her. "Stop Ffanci we just want a word."

wizarddog
03-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Sir Edmond moves to assist sir Colwyn but is weary that the village may hide another ambush or surprise. He turns his head trying to spot if any other villagers or those posing are acting just as panicked as her.

jayphailey
03-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Allyn turns to intercept and tackle Ffanci.

Jay ~Meow!~

tesral
03-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Edmond: Keeping eye out moves to intercept Ffanci, For what locals are visible it doesn't look like the situation has sunk in. Few men are around this time of day.

Corwyn: Calls out in Welsh, continuing to close with Ffanci.

Ffanci: Startled by the Welsh from the man she had taken for a Norman, turns somewhat to face Corwyn and:

Allyn: Turns to grab for Ffanci and is all by run down by her. Grapple 18.

Ffanci oppose 3. Grapple is successful. He has grabbed one squirming and cursing Welsh woman.

End of round Corwyn has caught up and can assist. 17, short of deveoping giant strengh Ffanci has no chance to get away.

Edmond is there by the end of round two. Ffanci is kicking up a storm and the things Corwyn is hearing (she is speaking Welsh) are turning the other two knight's ears red as well. In short his parents are not married, he fonicates with swine, among other things, and those are his good points. She has uncharitable things to say about the other two as well, but not being Welsh they are not due as much abuse.

The three knigths have no problem contorling the slight woman. What are they doing with her?

Their own men are moving to support them.

The six villagers currently in view, all women are just now taking notice of events. Those a little ahead of the others are vanishing into houses.

jayphailey
03-07-2009, 09:44 PM
The three knigths have no problem controlling the slight woman. What are they doing with her?


Allyn: "Well, Sir Corwyn. We have her. Now what shall we do?"

Jay ~Meow!~

Bearfoot_Adam
03-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Colwyn replies. "Tie her up and put her with the others. Unless she tells us what we need to find the men who killed others and tried to kill us then she is as guilty as they are." Then stepping close to her and trying to intimidate. "Once found guilty I'm sure I can persuade the the Earl to show leniency towards the women and just send her to a convent for the rest of her life. That way she could learn to repent from her evil ways"

tesral
03-10-2009, 12:00 AM
With Ffanci trussed up and curseing in Welsh there is a woman's scream from the wagon. the men have laid out the dead, an older woman is on her knees beating her breasts and wailing at the top of her lungs.

wizarddog
03-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Sir Edmond approaches the wailing woman. Grasping his prayer beads he comes from behind and places his hand on her shoulder. Trying to show bit of comfort, he recites in latin a passage from the Good Book.

He gestures his head to the closest of his two comrades to talk to the one wailing; provided he can calm her down with scripture.

tesral
03-12-2009, 12:25 AM
She whirls around her eyes flashing with anger.

"Why?! Why have you killed my son?"

Bearfoot_Adam
03-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Leaving the grieving women to Edmond Colwyn tries again with Ffanci saying that if she gives them the location of the others she will go free. He does this in the presence of the other criminals hoping someone will be chivalrous and allow her her freedom. On a personal note he is getting very annoyed that these people are forgetting that they attacked him without cause and they are the ones who feel victimized. It might be easier to be the England they all assume he is and kill them all and most of the town for harboring these murderers.

wizarddog
03-13-2009, 07:51 AM
"Your son's life was touch by death the moment he signed away his heart to those of that defy our king. If you know anything of these bandits (who stole your son from you) then speak truth to free your son from damnation."

tesral
03-13-2009, 09:41 AM
The woman ignores Edmond. And advances on Corwyn.

"That hussy was involved? Do with her as you please! I'll tell you all I know of this matter, and you'll now the questions to ask when you put her to the question*."

Ffanci is standing there fetchingly tied up saying nothing.

At this point the priest pokes his head out of the small church.



* Henry II established the rule of Evidence in England, abolishing Trial by Combat and Trail by Ordeal. Torture was still popular, mainly by the Inquisition, which hasn't happened yet.

Bearfoot_Adam
03-15-2009, 11:57 AM
"Please good women tell me what I need to know to put an end to this sad day and lay the blame at the feet of Ffanci and the others responsible."

tesral
03-16-2009, 12:46 AM
(Punctuated by wailing and sobbing. insert as required.) "Aye she is one of them. Common thieves that weapped their greed in the Welsh Dragon. Claim to love country they do, but all they loved was the wealth. They seduced my son, and some of the others. Now he is dead. Accuses her I do. Accuse her of being the spy for the thieves. Llewellyn the Carter, Alwyn nine toes, Cardog the Red, Gareth Ap Lefan *. Those be the names I know. And none be among the men that lay here, quick or dead."

Ffanci "She is crazy with grief. Why believe a word she says."

The confrontation is starting to get a crowd, a small one. The men at arms are keeping people back. Another woman, much younger pushes them aside and start bewailing the fate of yet another of the men.

The Priest has come out of the Church and approches the knights. "Good Sirs all. What be the cause of this blood letting and man slaughter?"



* Henry VIII established that all Englishmen must have a surname. It was uncommon for commoners to have surnames before that. "Ap" is a Welsh variation on "Son of". So Gareth Son of Lefan.

wizarddog
03-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Sir Edmond to the Priest.

"Tis a sad day of death, father. The men who ally with thievse and bandits had ambushed my fellow knights. They were routed thanks to Sir Colwyn and Sir Allyn vigilance. We saw fitting to return them for last rites..."

He peers at both woman "...and to find truth where it can be found."

Sir Edmond, who has heard many of sobbing tales in his years of service tries to weigh the words of the old woman. He does not doubt her tale, but wishes to have more meat on accusations.

tesral
03-18-2009, 09:59 AM
The Priest listens solemnly. He calls a boy over. Matthew, go for Richard, we have those that need him.

The boy would go. The Priest moves to the dead men and begins last rites.

The women look on. the old woman goes again to her son's side. The younger woman mentioned is weeping over a second of the three dead.

They also have the two live prisoners. There is much to sort out here.

Bearfoot_Adam
03-18-2009, 11:14 AM
I was hoping Sir Allyn would post for a more first person account but for the sake of moving on.

"Father and good people of Llangdefelden. It was just last night when we came to your town looking for rest. We had just entered your tavern when I overheard two men plotting to rob me and my companions. They were unaware of my ability to speak the Welsh tongue so they did not even quiet their voices. They said that they would send Ffanci, this women here (pointing at her) to find what we were about. She then spent the evening trying to get us drunk beyond reasoning. It was only through God's mercy that she did not succeed. For it was that night while all good people slept that she sent a man to rob our wagon in that very courtyard (pointing to the courtyard) and brought a dagger to the room of Sir. Allyn in hopes to make off with our valuables and maybe even slit his throat in his sleep. "

"I am sure you have all heard of the murders on the road. It was the Earl of Shrewsbury who sent us here to catch and bring to justice the men who are committing these crimes. Well this very day not fives miles from your town we came upon a log over the road and a dozen or more men came at us out of the brambles. I called for them to lay down arms but they did not so we defended ourselves. Thankfully we were able to capture some, but not all. Sadly these men here have lost their lives and if what you say is true, good women, the real criminals are still out there. If anyone has any knowledge of this I beg the to speak up."

jayphailey
03-18-2009, 11:51 PM
OOC - Sorry. I have been out of it for a while.

Allyn says grimly to fFanci: "You'd best tell us everything. Now. This will only become worse for you."

Jay ~Meow!~

tesral
03-20-2009, 02:03 AM
A small crowd has gathered. A few of the men folk have shown up.

A man with a hammer comes forward. I am William the Smith. know some little of this. Llewellyn the Carter, he did ask me to fix iron work on a wagon I knew not. And to change good shoes on horses I've never seen. Good shoes for worn ones. "Had more wear in them" he said. That I wouldn't do. Disservice to the horse.

The priest just shakes his head. He would turn to finishing the rites and comforting the living.

wizarddog
03-22-2009, 12:47 PM
"Of What trade is this Llewellyn the Carter?"


Addressing the other knights for explanation.
- "Tis possible he partakes of it as a guise in another town. We have names that can lead to more query.... but I suspect thay have found refuge in the wilderness. Nethertheless, their banditry is not sustainable with out civil resources. It may be as simple is 'following the bread crumbs' as they say..."

EDIT: I screwed the pooch here. I erased a good deal of your move hitting the wrong damn button. The downside of moderation privileges.I did find a way to undo it. Note to self, watch which button I hit in this forum.

tesral
03-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Things Edmond would know. A "carter" would be someone that hauls stuff around. Llewellyn the Carter would be a man with a wagon that hauls things. A mover if you will. "Two men and a Truck".

The profession would give him more travel experience than the average person would have. It is likely he knows the roads about here and knows them well. The villages and the land between them.

Now you just have to find him.

Bearfoot_Adam
03-23-2009, 03:20 PM
"And what of these other men? Does any one here know where they reside?"

jayphailey
03-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Allyn, to fFanci: "Speak up. The Earl may decide to have you tortured unless you give us a good reason to argue against it."

Jay ~Meow!~

wizarddog
03-25-2009, 03:32 AM
Sir Edmond awaits answers from both of the knights query to their respective interogates.

Sir Edmond thinks: "The tale of the wagon and horses could mean thievery in other towns; that could be possible leads. If only such people have confidence (or outrage) to speak."

tesral
03-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Corwyn:

A farm wife points to one of the captive. "He be Filbert, at least the name he gives in the Tavern here. He does not dwell in this town.

No one is forthcoming about the other two captives. The Dead men are plainly from this town.

Allyn:

Fanci is keeping her lip buttoned. She is doing her best to look defiant. Allyn's spot motivation roll is so much better she is falling utterly., She is scared.

Edmond:

Waiting for other Knights. Thoughts are his own.

Bearfoot_Adam
03-28-2009, 02:46 PM
"So Filbert, do you know where this carter resides?"

jayphailey
03-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Fanci is keeping her lip buttoned. She is doing her best to look defiant. Allyn's spot motivation roll is so much better she is falling utterly., She is scared.

Allyn turns her around and looks into her eyes. "There is no honor to be had in hurting you. Please, give me an alternative."

Jay ~Meow!~

wizarddog
03-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Sir Edmond addresses the Father quietly--trying not to disturb any prayers forthcoming.

"Forgive me father, we will need to know the names of the fallen. The town grieves their deaths, in public or silence; but the names will lead us to the bandits and help stop their villainy."

tesral
03-30-2009, 12:24 PM
To Sir Corwyn:
Filbert: "Let me go, and Ill tell you everything. If I must hang, I'd rather hang alone."


To Sir Allyn:

Fanci is not speaking up. She still looks fearful. You are getting no further hunches.

The younger woman approachs Sir Allyn. "I am Alice Sir. I know more than this slut might know I do, and I'll willingly tell all for the sake of my Husband's soul."

Fanci looks wildly at her and struggles in he bonds. She spews a stream of Welsh (Nothing Sir Corwyn would want to repeat)

Alice looks at her with distain and triumph. "Aye, I know where you have spent your virture and I know all you and your pet thugs have been doing. You thought you had them all wrapped around you fingers. Your control wasn't near as good as you thought."


To Sir Edmond:

Priest: (Once the rites are finished) "They are Simon (pointing to the son.) and Albert (to the husband). More I cannot tell you, by the oath of the Confessional."

wizarddog
04-02-2009, 09:52 PM
"This Filbert does not deserve clemency," thinks Edmond. "The Woman Alice would be a better source, for she alone has decency to see off her husband to the final resting place in peace. But alas, tis not my decision."

Edmond awaits his fellow knights decisions.

Bearfoot_Adam
04-03-2009, 06:07 PM
"Absolution is not mine to give. That is for the the Earl alone. I will however speak on your behalf in regards to your help. It seems that your motives are not the same as those who you followed. The Earl is a fair man and I feel he will see that to."

tesral
04-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Alice seems willing to spill all the beans she has.

Alice: "Llewellyn the Carter lives in Foel. He spends his time agitating here. He speaks high words of Welsh solidarity but his only action is robbery. This harlot Fanci is his succubus and foil it is she that has recruited him men with her body as enticment and reward. He's a coward himself and never has lowered himself to do the dirty work.

Fanci: "Shes a lying welp. She doesn't know anything."

Alice: "Call forth Mother Grace, and see if she is still a virgin as an unmarried woman ought be. Call her, and the proof of that will put lie to her words."

Older Woman: "Aye, I've heard the like myself. Hearsay it be, but hear it I have. Alice has the nut of the matter, if not the whole of it."

The Blacksmith is nodding. The priest is looking a bit disturbed at the forth-right matter of the women.

Actions?

wizarddog
04-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Sir Edmond hears the words brought forth by the folks of town and wieghs them.

OCC: Sense motive--who story seems to be told from the heart and not the head.

Bearfoot_Adam
04-07-2009, 05:57 PM
"Well, what say you? This is the best offer that I can give you."

tesral
04-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Edmond:
Fanci has a desperate edge to her voice.
Alice speaks as one who feels she is correct. Someone with truth on her side.
The older woman is backing up Alice. Edmond is getting little off of her in terms of a motivation.
This Filbert fellow is saying too little. It is clear he wishes to avoid the consequences of his actions.
The Blacksmith again is confident of his words.

To Corwyn:

Filbert: "I'll save my words for the Earl then."

Sir Allyn is doing nothing this move.

Bearfoot_Adam
04-09-2009, 01:24 PM
"You can hold onto your words for the Earl but think on this. These other women are more forth coming. If their knowledge leads us to the men we seek then you will only have your silence to defend you. Which, were I you, I would not put much faith in. Speaking now is your best chance to save your neck."

wizarddog
04-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Sir Edmond says to aside of Sir Corwyn, but loud enough for Filbert to hear.

"I believe it would be a waste of the Earl's time for a man such as this. Surely a blade will do King and Country a greater service. If he wishes to a hasty judgement without repentance, then we are obliged to give it to him."

Edmond's eyes look at Filbert briefly as he speaks and when he finishes with his "performance" he then falls behind Sir Corwyn, his hand upon his sword hilt.

OCC: I rather this be an aid other in Intimadate or bluff rather than a direct roll.

tesral
04-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Apologies for the slow replies. No excuses, just not holding up my end. Onward.

OOC: Oh boy, Filbert rolled stupid enough to lower the intelligence of everyone in the square.

Filbert: "I'll keep my peace until I see the Earl then."

They currently have: Alice, wife of one of the slain bandits willing to talk. The old Woman (name not yet known., Mother of one of the slain bandits willing to talk. The blacksmith has told as much as he knows. The Priest has indicated that he knows more, but cannot speak on these matter due ot the Oath of the Confessional.

They have a suspect not present one Llewellyn the Carter who lives in Foel, a mile down the road.

Actions:

Out Of Game (OOG): Jay is having "real life" issues and may be less than present for a while. The DM will push Allyn around as required until Jay gets back in it.

wizarddog
04-14-2009, 09:25 PM
"Then so be it."

To Sir Sir Corwyn. "Do what must be done of this criminal, I will write the down the testimony of the citizens who are forth coming. When I am finish, we should head to back to Foel and inquire of Llewellyn the Carter. Perhaps the fool boy and girl will rethink their pledge of silence."

Bearfoot_Adam
04-15-2009, 11:27 PM
"They will be brought before the Earl for sentencing. As for Foel. If you are agreeable, I say we leave the teamsters and 2 guards here to watch over the prisoners and take the rest of the men to Foel. It is time to finish this."

tesral
04-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Keep going, no DM input required.

wizarddog
04-18-2009, 12:18 AM
"Then so shall it be"

Sir Edmond quickly gets the names of the witness written down on pen and ink. He should finish at the same time the rest of the men are saddled and ready to head to Foel.

"I grow weary, Sir Corwyn, for the spite the boy and girl show to our patron is troublesome. From where does such malice permeate, you wonder?"

tesral
04-18-2009, 12:47 AM
There being no wall or strong house here the prisoners will have ot be kept at the Inn or other structure. The Blacksmith is offering a place to keep the prisoners. He has heavy rings well mounted by which chains can be affixed. They are usually used in the shoeing of oxen. (DM recalls chains and manacles being part of the gear that was packed.)

The remaining eight men are soon ready to pursue the bandits. (Two being left to watch the four prisoners.)

Alice would tell the knights of a forest glade to the South of Foel where she believes the bandits hold their meetings and hide their loot. There is a small copse of wood that is kept as mast for the pigs. It is within that wood.

Bearfoot_Adam
04-18-2009, 05:20 PM
"I to grow weary of their views. But if this good women speaks true their minds have been poisoned against the Earl by this Llewyllen person. However as a man of Welsh decent myself I should note that England has not always been kind to these lands. In fact I feel the Earl of Shrewsbury is a rarity in his fairness." Let's be off then.

wizarddog
04-19-2009, 02:54 PM
As the group moves foward to Foel:

"Stealth and subtlety is not the way of a Knight. How should we approach this glade once we arrive, for surely our presence will be notice."

tesral
04-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Approching Foel, it is visible in the medium distance.

You have eight of the men at arms in the best shape. Sir Allyn is back with the prisoners. (Until Jay can get some issues sorted out.)

Continue on, no DM input required.

wizarddog
04-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Edmond to Sir Corwyn:

"Our approach and tenor will alert our adversaries if they be sympathizers in the village. Because of our limited manpower (judging by the attack we experience) splitting the group would be unwise in my view.

However, the appearance of weakness may draw out the bandits should they value their captives and wish to capture us for future exchange. A risky but profitable tatic if they choose.

But This is mere speculation.

My prefered method is to head directly meeting place banner unfurl and swords drawn. But you are better aquainted with these people and their thinking. What say Ye?"

Bearfoot_Adam
04-23-2009, 09:34 PM
I agree, a direct approach is best. With our earlier victory more men may be willing to surrender to a sign of force rather then suffer the consequences of another altercation. As for the possible sympathizers we shall just have to be on our guard.

tesral
04-24-2009, 12:27 AM
You goal is in the copse of woods to the south then. Are you going through Foel, or off the road towards the woods indicated?

Bearfoot_Adam
04-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Into the woods

wizarddog
04-24-2009, 12:31 PM
...ever so watchful for potential ambush or booby trap that may hinder our approach.

tesral
04-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Into the woods. The brambles pick at the leggings of your men and yourselves as you approach the wood. Thus far you have not seen any man or domesticated beast. A few rabbits and birds have been flushed.

At last you reach the edge of the wood. Ground cover gives way under the shade of the oaks. Corwyn spots a clear trail leading deeper into the wood.

Actions?

wizarddog
04-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Edmond says in a hush tone: "Tome and candle have always been my youthful endeavors, Sir Crowyn. What odds are there a snare sized for a man may be waiting for us through that path? For the ingenuity of these bandits has yet to be tested."

Bearfoot_Adam
04-29-2009, 03:53 PM
"Let us hope that a tree across the road and a feeble ambush is the limit of their cleverness. We have no options but to continue onward. But we will be on our guard." Colwyn urges his horse onto the path leading deeper into the woods.

wizarddog
04-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Sir Edmond follows, clutching tighly his roserary which is held in hand of his reins.

tesral
04-29-2009, 09:30 PM
The wood is no dark and foreboding place of primeval nature, but a grove planted in centuries past for the mast and the wood. The path leads onward Sunlight sparkles between the trees as beams of light strike the forest floor. The sound of last year's leaves is dry underfoot.

One of the men at arms holds up a warning hand. "Voices M'Lords" he hisses back at the party.

The warriors grip tighter to their swords.

Actions?

wizarddog
05-01-2009, 02:50 PM
<<Do we recognize the dilect--i.e. is it welsh or english>>

With quick kiss, Sir Edmond places his rosery back under his tunic and grips his mace. He looks to Sir Colwyn with a stern face of anticipation.

tesral
05-04-2009, 07:57 AM
As you stand still to listen the sounds seem to be Welsh.

(Yes, I am back)

Bearfoot_Adam
05-04-2009, 09:41 AM
"Perhaps we should send two of our stealthiest to investigate, Then we can form a better plan."

wizarddog
05-05-2009, 04:33 AM
Sir Edmond, in very lone tone: "Me thinks our men (being fully armored and untrained in that manner of combat) would better serve in a surprise assualt. However, a scout should be able to get close enough to determind number. I will volunteer, less we have a man more capable."

Bearfoot_Adam
05-05-2009, 10:59 AM
"If you are the best man for this then please by all means. But do take care. We will be close if you run into trouble."

tesral
05-05-2009, 04:03 PM
No one else is stepping forward to take the job.

He moves forward with the rest several paces behind. Ahead he can see a clearing about a great oak. A baker's dozen men are in the clearing. Some few resting on the ground bandaged. A woman is tending the wounded. A tall fellow is arguing with a man that wears a bandage about his arm. They speak Welsh, which Edmond does not know. But the argument is heated. Only half the men present are fit to fight, Three don't even have shirts on. Two are cooking over a low fire. Four men he can count are armored and armed. All have weapons handy.

wizarddog
05-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Edmond tries to recognize if any of the men are the same as they fought earlier. He takes stock on those armed and wounded (Hopefully they will surrender rather than fight). Notes the large man and his arguers (perhaps leaders) and the woman; hopefully avoids the fight.

Kissing his crucifix, he slowly and quietly slips back to Sir Crowyln and the men to give report.

Bearfoot_Adam
05-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Upon receiving word Colwyn asks if there are any avenues of retreat for the criminals. IF so he feels the men should try to circle around while sir Edmond and himself confront them from the road.

tesral
05-08-2009, 12:55 AM
All over the place if they come on form the one trail, there is no road, they can scatter to the four quarters of the wind.

Edmond spotted at least five clear ways to get out of the clearing. counting the one they are facing.

wizarddog
05-08-2009, 01:36 AM
Edmond in hush tone, weary that that delay may lose their advantage. "If we take the camp, they have no place to run to other than the village. Their wounds will give them away. I suggest we press the attack while we have surprise. I suggest subduing their leaders first would be the best course in causing them to surrender."

Bearfoot_Adam
05-08-2009, 07:10 PM
"and Yet I don't want to chase these men trough the woods if we can avoid it. I say lets send the men around to cover the exits. Give them a thousand count to get into place. Any sign that they are on to us you and I go in early. We don't know what the leader looks like so best we make sure they all stay in camp."

tesral
05-08-2009, 10:31 PM
(DM waiting for an answer and agreement or other action.)

wizarddog
05-09-2009, 11:58 AM
"Very well, we shall proceed with your plan."

The men are given the order. Sir Edmond takes a short prayer, kisses his rosary and draws his mace. He turns sternly to his fellow knight and waits for the count to expire. On Sir Colwyn's mark, he follows his lead.

Bearfoot_Adam
05-10-2009, 11:22 AM
COunting

tesral
05-10-2009, 04:35 PM
And....

You burst into the clearing demanding surrender in the name of the King.

For a seeming endless moment nothing moves.

The two men (seeming leaders) one throws the tankard he holds at the knights. The second turns to run.

The Tankard lands between the two of you, empty of any threat, or beer.

The women shrieks and throws her apron over her head huddling on the ground. the wounded men groan and try to rise.

The hale men rise several grab for weapons, all are trying to flee.

Second round. The assumed leader is on the front of the back.

He hits the line of men at arms first. He is tripped and takes the edge of a shield across the back of the head. The Knights can't see the whole action but it looks like several men got him.

Mr. tankard isn't moving as quickly due to throwing the tankard.

A second man in the general pile also took off without weapons. Corwyn would see his head snap back as he is hit with a sword pommel.

Edmond and Corwyn can either

A: Overtake the hale men grabbing weapons and trying to run.

B: Go after the wounded.

C: Take right after "Tankard."

Actions please?

wizarddog
05-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Sir Edmond, sticking with the plan, advances to the Tankard man delivering his mace as a smite against the enemies of the King.

"Thou are the foulest, by the King, you shall fall!"

jayphailey
05-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Allyn help the two remaining troopers secure the prisoners.

What is going here in ... the town... thingee?

I am back, but my particvipation will be sort of spotty, I'm afraid.

Jay ~Meow!~

Bearfoot_Adam
05-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Overtake the men grabbing for weapons with a mighty roar

tesral
05-23-2009, 09:05 PM
No, I am not dead of plague. Home Improvement however has me in stitches, four of them on my right thumb. The week has been interesting...in the Chinese sense. BUT game move.

Corwyn bears down on the men roaring. His intimidate attempt is successful and they hesitate. You strike the nearest man dealing a grievous blow.

Edmond strikes against the fellow that stayed long enough to throw a tankard. Your mace sinks into his shoulder dealing a crippling blow.

And:

The other men attempting to get weapons have stopped trying to get weapons. The woman is still screaming.

Corwyn, your wounded foe falls to the ground holding up a forbearing hand. "Pray mercy Lord, I yield."

With that his fellows likewise fall to their knees crying for mercy.

Edmond, your man throws you a curse in Welsh and attempts to hobble away. The dagger he was drawing dashed from his stricken hand.

The men at arms have secured those that have gotten that far.

The wounded men have not moved.

Actions?

And again, I am sorry for the delay. My blog has more details.

Allyn you are still back at the town.

wizarddog
05-25-2009, 02:25 PM
"Would it be me, you would die from my smite. But I serve King and Country, and they will judge you thus!"

Edmond strike again at the tankard man, but his blow shall be to subdue.

OOC: Do non-lethal damage.

Bearfoot_Adam
05-27-2009, 12:28 PM
(in Welsh) "On your knees all of you. Your hands will be bound and you will be brought before the Earl of Shrewsbury." Colwyn holds further action until the scene calms or a new situation arises.

tesral
05-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Edmond: The blow strikes knocking the man out cold.

Corwyn: They cower before you as the men at arms come in with the couple that escaped. The bandits are bound.

They bring in the two that ran that far. The one has his face bloodied by the blow and the assumed leader is groggy from his beating. The back of his head is blooded and it looks like his nose is broken.

The woman is terrified. "Pray sirs, harm not a peaceful woman."

The wounded men groan.

You have a mile and a half to get back to town.

Tankard can walk, but his right arm is useless. Likewise the wounded men can shuffle along. "Leader" is knocked about, but can walk.

It would be a long several hours before you get back to town. Evening is rapidly coming.

wizarddog
05-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Aside to Corwyn:

"Victory is ours, but wounded prisoners have now become our keep. Do you think this town can hold them for the night?"

Edmond also give the eye at the woman. For some reason, he does not like her.

Bearfoot_Adam
05-30-2009, 04:11 PM
"My thoughts are we may not even make it back to town before the sun sets. As slow going as the return trip will be I feel we will be forced to stay the night in this place." (as to the women I assume she is tied up with the men. We already learned that a woman's hand can hold the knife as well as a mans.

tesral
05-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Llangadfan where the wagon was left is less than a mile away. They can make that well before dark

They would get into Llangadfan, a sorry looking parade, the confidant men and arms, the proud knights and the shuffling prisoners.

Llewellyn the Carter is quickly identified as the man that ran into the men at arm's shield bash. Some villagers are hanging back, clearly concerned. "Tankard" is identified as Billy. The woman tending the wounded is his wife. He is from Foel.

Bearfoot_Adam
06-01-2009, 09:04 AM
After congratulating the men on a job well done Colwyn makes sure all the men a well bound. He instructs the men that the prisoners should be untied three at a time to be fed. Sadly unless someone speaks for the women they must share the fate of the men. A watch will need to be set up to guard the prisoners.

wizarddog
06-01-2009, 05:06 PM
The men, being tired from their battle, Edmond voluteers for the first watch. He handle his rosery in muttered prayer to St. Mathew.

tesral
06-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Morning would dawn stark and cold. There was no trouble through the night. The hale men would walk, the seriously wounded loaded into the wagon.

It is clear that some back up would be well worth getting at the next town up the road with any garrison. It is seven miles to Llarfair, the nearest town with an English Garrison. Ten miles to Castle Caerenion, and that a little off your path. Both well and loyal to the Crown.

A small, sad knot of people is following them, women and some children. Their menfolk are among the prisoners.

Actions?

Bearfoot_Adam
06-02-2009, 05:24 PM
(I say lets pack up the kids and head to Llarfair)

jayphailey
06-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Allyn: "I propose we head for Castle Caerenion. It will be more able to deal with prisoners and we can get reinforcements."

wizarddog
06-04-2009, 07:20 PM
"I believe the castle would be a better hold of our prisoners. And perhaps swift judgment can partake them."

OCC: I know it was common for entire families to go to debtor prison--what is the protocol for criminals that have familes, are they left to fend for themselves?

tesral
06-05-2009, 01:21 AM
OOC: Yes, it's a cruel world. Bandits are hung and if they had families, well they should have thought of that when they decided to be bandits.

So far there is nothing for the DM to do. Once you decide which way you are going....

Bearfoot_Adam
06-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Colwyn will give way to the majority opinion though he worry's about the temperament of this lord of Castle Caerenion. Colwyn serves the Earl and looks to him for justice in this matter. He would not want this lord to overstep himself.

wizarddog
06-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Edmond, seeing the disapointment in Cowyn's eyes.

"Tis for the best we find a prison for these criminals. We can send a messanger to the Duke of their capture. That should give them a stay of justice till the Duke responds. The Lord of Castle Caerenion will defy the Earl at his own risk."

We should proceed.

tesral
06-09-2009, 02:13 AM
It sounds if the Castle is the call.

It would also be the burial day for the two men killed. The village is deeply saddened and the land about will be missing many men. But, such is the lot of bandits.

Castle Caerenion is two day's march away with the sad procession that follows the wagon. By the time you arrive one of the wounded men is raving with fever, his wound was slight, but but it festers.

The Seneschal would open his gates to the knights, their men and prisioners. He is Sir Robert de Palmer, a grizzled knight that wears the cross of a crusader.

Sir Robert de Palmer: "Tis a curious procession you come with good Sirs. Pray give me the tale that I might make some sense of it."

Bearfoot_Adam
06-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Good day Sir Robert. We were sent at the request of the Earl of Shrewsbury to hunt down bandits and murderers that were plaguing the roads. These be the guilty men. The women either the wives or in league with the accused men. We seek the solace of your walls to hold these men until justice can be laid on them by the Earl.

wizarddog
06-09-2009, 11:03 PM
"Our men have fought hard and well, praise the Lord. Food, mead and a warm fire would do them well and your hospitality greatly welcome."

tesral
06-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Palmer: "Enter then and be welcome."

The knights three would be shown to fine rooms. The Men at Arms to a decent barracks and the prisoners tossed into the dungeon.

Palmer would be concerned about the feverish man. He would not be chucked in the dank dungeon. "There is a Sister in town that is good with healing. Shall I call for her?"

wizarddog
06-12-2009, 11:27 PM
"Sir Colwyn is determined that all shall be judge by the Earl. It would do well to send for the sister, Sir Robert, as you wisely advise. Though the man should be placed in a secure chamber, locked and guarded if possible. These bandits favor themselves as moral authority over the King. To Escape to fight again is their creed."

tesral
06-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Sir Robert de Palmer: "Nay we shall not neglect keeping him fast. although truth be told I see him not fit to travel." He calls for a servant. "Will, go forth intothe village and call out Sister Alica, a man her is sore in need of her skill, tell her tis a wound gone feaverish." He turns again to the Knights. "Good gentles, your aninmals are seen to, your men housed and your prisoners as well. Come, will you dine with my lady and myself? We do not set a King's fare, but we do well enough."

Bearfoot_Adam
06-15-2009, 10:53 PM
"Your hospitality is warmly accepted. Please, lead the way."

wizarddog
06-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Sir Edmond admires any decorative art that may catch his eye. Though a humble servant of the Earl and church, he does take note of religious symbols that may strike future conversation.

tesral
06-28-2009, 09:42 PM
The castle is not heavily ornamented. However it has the look of a place that has recently had a good deal in renovations done. This to the fabric of the structure rather than the appearance.

The largest tapestry in the hall is not of a religious nature. It features two groups facing each other. Over the right central figure are the three Lions of the Plantagenet House and under him the legend "Henri II". To the right the typical figures of the royal entourage, Over the left central figure the flag of Avalon and under him the legend "Oberon", and to the left creatures more fantastical.

Below this is written "The Conclave of Caerenion"


OOG: Sorry guys. My mind wandered away for a while. Thanks for the heads up.

Bearfoot_Adam
06-30-2009, 11:08 PM
"This is an unique tapestry. Does it have much of a history?"

tesral
07-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Sir Palmer stops to look at it. "Yes, indeed. The Conclave of Caerenion was held here in the winter of 1170. The Treaty of Avalon was constituted and signed by the Kings Henri II our good King of England and France and King Oberon of the Seelie Court. Aye, Rome roundly condemned him for it, but the deprivations upon the people by fairies ended with the Conclave and Treaty. King Oberon himself gave Our good King Edward II the cure for the Black Death halting its spread in England. Aye, all of that started here long ere we were born."

wizarddog
07-01-2009, 12:51 AM
Sir Edmond raises his eyebrows. While history was never a subject he delved into, Sir Edmond is keen on events regarding the church. He was brought up that such a treaty goes against the will of God. He holds those views still.

"You must forgive me, Sir Palmer, but the long road has made we weary; I believe good wine and food from your table should make me better company."

tesral
07-01-2009, 09:48 PM
OOG: Other characters are permitted to chime in, indicate they are alive, do something.

Bearfoot_Adam
07-02-2009, 09:35 PM
"Have you had many dealings with these Fae?"

tesral
07-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Sir Palmer: "Myself? No and glad of it. Strange and weird creatures that give God's law no heed. Yet we share a world with them, whether we wish to no not. I am told they come here yearly to celebrate the Treaty, for they see it as a good thing. I have never seen this celebration nor do I believe any Godly man should seek it out.

A large tabby cat parks himself by Sir Allyn's chair and supplicates for a bit of his roast beef. "maow?"

Bearfoot_Adam
07-03-2009, 09:12 AM
As we walk to dinner. "And still to take no congress with the gentle folk at all could be a missed opportunity, for as you say they are among us. If a country maid places a bit of milk and bread on her back door step she is called wise and a good neighbor not labeled a heretic. Whether friend or foe we still keep open communication with France and Spain and all are blessed by our dealings. Should it not be so with the Fae?"

wizarddog
07-03-2009, 05:13 PM
(OCC: Not sure if we are walking or at a table since the tabby is there on the table looking for food. I assume we are at a table.)


Sir Edmond, chokes on his meat. He quickly grabs a cup of wine and washes it down. He looks intently at the two knights; anticipating a debate.

tesral
07-03-2009, 05:29 PM
I have assume the conversation moved across the hall and to the table, which is in same hall, so siting at eating at this point. Lady Palmer has said little as is her place.

Lady Palmer: "Are you will Sir Edmond?"

Sir Palmer: "I am neither Priest nor scholar Sir Corwyn. True, I wonder how such beings as the fae can exist of God did not grant them pardon to do so. Yet every effort to bring them to Christ's true Church results in either the beast turning Human, or dying. There is a woman that lives 5 miles from here, old as the hills she is and her great grandchildren care for her. It is said that in the reign of Edward II she was a fariy lass that married a Christian man in the Church, and was forever banished from farilyland. Takes mass twice a week she does. It used to be three times a week, but her health has declined."

"It is true that fariy kind cannot abide Holy water and that the sound of church bells drives them mad, but one of their number can marry in the Church the same as you or I. But we cannot question they are very real, and very different from mortal men."

Bearfoot_Adam
07-03-2009, 06:52 PM
((I'm Corwyn))

tesral
07-03-2009, 08:41 PM
So edited.

wizarddog
07-06-2009, 08:03 AM
"Tis been a long time, (for I on the road in service of the Duke), that fine meats have touched my palate, my Lady." Jovial smile to Lady Palmer.

tesral
07-06-2009, 08:15 AM
She would sparkle back. The dinner would settle into jovial conversation with Oberon and Henri II's cloth eyes staring down on them.

They would be show to rooms within the castle. Far better than the Inns they have been staying at. There are servants to aid them. Squires to take care of their armor and weapons.

The only thing to mar the night are the hideous screams and howls that echo through the castle.

Bearfoot_Adam
07-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Garbed in his sleeping clothes, with sword in hand Colwyn knocks on his companions doors to see to the cause of the cries.

wizarddog
07-06-2009, 06:23 PM
"By St. Mathew, have the devil himself ascended on us?!" Sir Edmond rises to the howl and the thundering of his door, rustles around with sand filled eyes for his mace.

Bearfoot_Adam
07-06-2009, 10:17 PM
"Edmond! Wake yourself!"

tesral
07-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Howl AAAIIIIIEEEEEEE Moan.

They are shortly joined by Sir Palmer similarly attired.

It is coming from the lower levels.

Bearfoot_Adam
07-07-2009, 11:13 PM
And down stairs we go

tesral
07-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Following the howls leads you to a small room at the base of the tower. Therein one of the wounded men from the raid is on a pallet. A woman in a married womans wimple is tending him.

Woman: (A no nonsense brook no argument voice to Edmond) "You, hand me those rags."

The rags are drenched in cold water from a nearby brook and rung out, She lays them over the fevered man's brow and wound. The wound that but a day or so ago was clean and red is now swollen with fever. The man's eyes dart about seeing nothing and he howls in pain.

The door bangs open and a torch bearer followed by two strapping young men with buckets of more cold water enter the small chamber.

Sir Palmer: "Sirs, Sister Wayland. Our village healer."

To a lad "Careful, pour more water in the basin." She looks at the knights in their bedclothes and swords. "If he is alive at dawn, he might live till judgment day. I however cannot assure you he will live til dawn."

wizarddog
07-09-2009, 01:56 AM
Edmond, aiding the women.

"What fever has befallen him to rouse even the dead from their slumber?"

To Crowyln: "If he will not last the night, a priest should be brought for pendance."

tesral
07-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Sister Wayland: "The wound is septic. The fever is a quick one that ravages him. God be praised he is the only among the wounded that is so afflicted."

Sir Palmer nods about the Priest. "If he be lucid enough to confess. I'll send a page to rouse the Priest."

wizarddog
07-10-2009, 01:20 AM
Edmond approaches the ailing man and hoping he has any sense of sanity in him.(For fear the priest comes too late.)

"Judgement by the Earl may be denied to you, but judgement by the heavens is inevitable. If you wish to confess your crimes and give final testimony against the men of your banditry, I will see (through what power of my own) that your family is giving leniency. What say, ye?"

tesral
07-10-2009, 11:27 PM
"AAEEEEEIEEEE!" His eyes wander aimlessly.

The door bangs open and the page comes in with the Priest right behind.

The priest takes one look at the situation and begins the last rites and absolution. Sister Wayland continues to do what can be done.

The Priest is packing his holy water and incense when the wounded man stops raving. He looks at the Knights. A weak finger points to Edmond and Corwyn He speaks in a strong voice.

"Know this, that ere thou shall see thy Lord Aurthur Earl of Shropshire thou shall wish a thousand times to walk the shore whence I go tonight."

The hand falls lifeless to the pallet and he breathes no more.

Bearfoot_Adam
07-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Colwyn hastily makes the sign of the cross to ward of these ill tidings of the now dead man.

wizarddog
07-12-2009, 01:44 AM
Edmond does the same. He says nothing, then looks to Sir Colwyn,
"When morning comes, we should make haste with the prisoners to the Earl."

But Edmond's concern is not for the prisoners and his stare of dread falls on the dead man.

tesral
07-12-2009, 12:59 PM
The silence in the room lasts a little too long. Finally someone clear their throat. Sister Weyland would cover the dead man's face.

Sister Weyland: "My work here is finished. I regret the outcome was not better. I will see to the other wounded so that we do not have a repeat." She leaves the room.

Priest: "I will see the gravedigger comes for the man. Please, give me his particulars so that he can be given a proper Christian burial".

Bearfoot_Adam
07-13-2009, 10:51 AM
"Father, before you leave can I ask for your insight on this mans dying words. Should we fear his curse?"

tesral
07-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Priest: "Ravings of a dying man Sir Corwyn. Trust in Christ and you will need fear no evil."

wizarddog
07-14-2009, 12:32 AM
Edmond is relived that the Priest gives comfort to his beliefs.

"This man, a traitor to Crown, Country and God was caught by Sir Corwyn and myself amongst the company of bandits. Sir Corwyn promised a fair hearing by the Earl. The others that lay in the dungeon of Sir Palmer will be brought before him for justice."

His eyes look down to the deadman.

"What can be done for this man is to speed him for judgement by the Lord."

tesral
07-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Priest: We have given him the rites. All that remains is burial, and that in the morning.

Palmer: "It is near dawn. I see little reason to return to our beds. For myself I am getting properly dressed. We do look a sight with swords and in our shirts. I'll see that the servants speed breakfast. I'll also roust you up a few more men and a second wagon."

wizarddog
07-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Edmond returns to his chambers and splashes water from his wash basin across his face. He sits in silence as the water drips from his chin. He then hastily dresses, never more than a few feet from his mace. Once dressed, he holds the rosary tight in his hand and heads downstairs muttering a prayer as he walks.

tesral
07-19-2009, 03:26 PM
OOG: OK, I was giving Bearfoot_Adam a chance to chime in. Onward.

When you get back to the hall breakfast is on the table. Warmed over feast, fresh bread and small beer. Hearty and simple.

The rest of the wounded seem to have made it through the night and are being loaded into your wagon and another supplied by Sir Palmer. You also have 10 more men at arms lining up for the march.

Breakfast finished, your convoy is ready.

Bearfoot_Adam
07-19-2009, 06:21 PM
((woo hoo, Ready to venture on, sorry been really tied up last couple days with birthday goings on))

wizarddog
07-21-2009, 10:17 AM
"We should make haste. The sooner these dregs face justice, the sounder my slumber will be."

tesral
07-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Haste made. You journey back as you have come. Three days to retrace your steps. Finally the walls of Shrewsburry Castle are in sight. The Stewart would take change of the prisoners and see that the men are housed and set back on their way.

Stewart: "M'Lord is in his manor this last week Sirs. Still there as far as I know."

The manor is but a short ride out of the town proper. Smoke can be seen lazily rising from the chimneys.

There is no servant to take your horses. Quiet reigns about the manor. A mailed fist applied to the door thuds with little resistance and the door swings open about a foot.

Bearfoot_Adam
07-22-2009, 09:21 AM
I push the door further and with a cautious step enter the hall. "m'lord?"

tesral
07-22-2009, 09:57 AM
A deathly quiet responds to you query.

Bearfoot_Adam
07-22-2009, 08:52 PM
((Because I've turned into a character from a slasher movie)) Colwyn draws a dagger due to the confined space, but keeps it at his side, and steps into the hall.

tesral
07-23-2009, 12:56 AM
OOG: Looking for Edmond here....


As you move into the house the silence oppresses. There is none of the chatter of a busy household. Your boots sound heavy and loud on the stones of the floor.

The door to the hall is open. within nothing. No servants, no Lord, not a person or a sound. The stairs lead to the Lord and Lady's chamber above.

Bearfoot_Adam
07-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Will head up the stairs hoping for the best but expecting the worse.

tesral
07-23-2009, 11:24 PM
The chamber is set for breakfast. Food is on the table, the curtains are pulled back from the bed. Their chairs are pushed back from the table.

On the table is a note, pinned by the Lord's own knife.

"Within Hades antechamber seek the sign of Mark, and in the mouth of the beast find truth."

wizarddog
07-24-2009, 06:38 PM
(OOC Sorry. I was up to my ears in a web design project)

Edmond, with rosery in hand and hand on mace, approaches the bed. He slowly, with his rosery clentched hand places his hand on the curtain. He gives a look of amprehension at Colwyn.

"Forgive m'lord"

The curtain is draw open.

tesral
07-24-2009, 11:50 PM
The bed is empty.

wizarddog
07-25-2009, 10:43 AM
With a sigh of relief, he turns to Colwyn:

"Riddles and mystery have plagued us since we left the hamlets. I pray nothing has befallen our Lord"

He clutches his rosery ever tighter. "We should make haste and look for the Duke."

(OOC: Given my somewhat limited training in relgion, would Edmond know Hades Antechamber might referr to. Going beyond the Christain idea of every part of Hades is hell, I assume it is the entrance to the underworld as the Greek Mythos.)

tesral
07-25-2009, 10:57 AM
OOC: It is reasonable. The classical training would be appropriate for the kind of education you assume he has.

It could also be a physical place.

It could be both.

wizarddog
07-27-2009, 11:22 PM
"We should rouse the Dukes servants and query on the Dukes whereabouts. Surely his man should be about? Or has the ability to move through walls been the gift of choice this last Christmas?"

Edmond eyes the letter.

"Within Hades antechamber..." he mumbles.

To Cownlyn: "Do you know if the catcombs or tomb of our Lord's family is nearby?"

(OOC: or does Edmond know)

tesral
07-29-2009, 06:11 PM
OOC: It was highly unusual to bury anyone in the house or separate grave yards "back in the day" They would be likely burierd in the Abby churchyard or in the Church itself. That is a few miles down the road.

Meanwhile they have not see servants or beasts on the property.

wizarddog
07-30-2009, 10:50 AM
"We shall search the premises again. Perhapse, you should see (To Colwyn) if our Lord departed with his sword. I fail to think, if he left voluntarily, that his blade would be left unattended."

Edmond makes his way to the kitchens to examine if fires still burn unattended. Perhapse he can judge the time since the disapperance of the servants.

(OOC Am I the only one posting here? I am reluctant to respond without others putting their two cents in..)

Bearfoot_Adam
07-30-2009, 04:11 PM
((Sorry, Portland is having a heat wave (106 yesterday) and my place has no air conditioning. I haven't been upstairs, where the computer lives, for more then 5 minutes all week))

After studying the letter for some time.
"I wonder if our the good earl has been betrayed. The beasts mouth could refer to Judas Iscariot. Though the sign of the Mark puzzles me unless it refers to the mark of Cain." Shaken from his pondering. "Yes, I'll search for his sword but the gaurd must be alerted to this, and soon."

tesral
07-30-2009, 08:02 PM
A search of the house and grounds finds:

The kitchen fires are burnt down and cold. Food is on the tables being prepared for later in the day. Breakfast was on the table half eaten.

The Earl's sword is indeed missing.

There is neither man nor beast to be found anywhere on the grounds, the house the stables or the mews.

"Within Hades antechamber seek the sign of Mark, and in the mouth of the beast find truth."

Bearfoot_Adam
07-31-2009, 09:37 AM
After the search and if no men can be found Colwyn sits at the table and picks at the half eaten breakfast. This won't be solve on an empty stomach. Sign of mark he puzzles to himself. Were there any relics of Mark the evangelist in the church?

tesral
07-31-2009, 10:04 AM
The food has not yet turned bad. As to the contents of the church reliquaries, an inquiry to the Abbot would be in order.

Bearfoot_Adam
08-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Well if ther eis no one here to be informed of the Earls disappearance I guess it is off to the abbey with note in tow

wizarddog
08-04-2009, 11:54 AM
"Tis strange. Surely the outside guard would note the Earl's passing. We should inquire as we leave."

tesral
08-04-2009, 05:10 PM
There is was no guard at the door or at the gate of the estate.

wizarddog
08-05-2009, 12:26 AM
(OOC I see, we ridden to the estate as I re-read. I mistakenly thought his home was in the castle.)

Edmond secures the estate as best he can and joins his comrade to the Abbey.

tesral
08-05-2009, 05:53 AM
In this case the man's home is not is castle.

The Abbey is but a short ride up the road. The Abbey of St Peter & St. Paul has been an establishment of the Benedictine order since the 11th century. It is a vital part of the life of Shrewsburry.

The Knights arrive during the hour of Terce and the monks are in the church reciting their prayers.

wizarddog
08-07-2009, 02:09 AM
Edmond is very hesitant to disturb a religious ritual.

"What, pray, should be invest in now?"

tesral
08-07-2009, 11:53 AM
It would be rude,but prayers will end soon.

When they do the Rector would approach them bowing. Good sirs, how may we humble monks be of service?

Bearfoot_Adam
08-09-2009, 01:51 PM
"We are the bringers of bad news brother. I seems the earl of Shrewsbury has been taken some where. The villains left this. I wonder do the items in the reliquary hold any ties to Mark the evangelist? And if not can you make any more sense of this then Edmond or myself."

wizarddog
08-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Edmond fingers his rosary awaiting response from the monk. Though devote, Edmond was always nervous around church authority, hence to be judge before his time.

tesral
08-10-2009, 10:10 AM
The rector's eyes would go wide. "A matter for the Abbot at the least Sirs. Please, come with me." He takes them into the Cloister and around to the Abbot's office.

Abbot Thomas is just sitting down to the day's business when they enter. He is deeply disturbed by the story told. He looks at the note in his hands.

Abbot Thomas: "This is the Earl's own hand if I am not mistaken. I have seen many an example of it. 'Within Hades antechamber seek the sign of Mark, and in the mouth of the beast find truth.' One could indeed refer to the crypt as the antechamber of the underworld, but there is no sign of Mark the Evangelist within our crypts. There are physical places this could refer to as well. None in our blessed nation. Perhaps Brother Veneficus our archivist can shed further light.

Abbot Thomas leads them into the dusty but well lit archive. Brother Veneficus is an elderly man with a long face and a stern but fatherly disposition. He wears an odd device perched on his nose, a frame with two pieces of glass which he looks through.

Once again the tale is repeated. The Brother would look at the paper.

Brother Veneficus: "Did you note what book the Earl had been reading?"



Shrewbury Abbey

http://www.darwincountry.org/assets/userfiles/medium/sy1216.jpg

wizarddog
08-11-2009, 09:35 PM
"I noted no book from the Earl being read; his library we did not check.We do know he did not leave without his sword."

Bearfoot_Adam
08-11-2009, 09:44 PM
"We have been away for some days and are never privy to the earls leisure activities."

tesral
08-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Brother Veneficus: "Then that is what me must do."

Abbot Thomas: "I will leave you in Brother Veneficus' capable hands. Brother of course you should get a mount for the stable."

Brother Veneficus: "As you wish Father. In God's peace we will proceed."


The brother would acquire a mule from the stable and follow the two Knights.

Once they have returned to the house they go to the study. The book on the book stand is an old one. An atlas in Greek.

Brother Veneficus: "Indeed look, marked here. Two days ride east of Antioch! "The Gates of Hades"