PDA

View Full Version : Bullet/Ammo/Damage?

Soft Serve
12-26-2008, 04:45 AM
How should I handle the B/A/D ratio for a homebrew game? I`m thinking let the player decide how many shots they want to take in bursts of 3 bullets for automatics and sigle shots for pistols and such. This would let me keep track of ammo easier, let the players decide how many times they want to roll to hit something (1 roll per shot if the roll is even necessary), and lets me keep track of how hurt the target is. But as always there are flaws in systems so you guys get to help me plug the holes in my boat or build anew one alltogether! :D

wbrandel
12-28-2008, 12:06 AM
I see nothing wrong with that style. Another rpg (Delta Force) did combat that way, only it did not work off of any health. You were injured in varying degrees and locations, and if memory serves Top Secret SI also worked in a similiar manner.

Soft Serve
12-28-2008, 03:41 AM
Yeah I do damage kinda by location. If your shot or hit in the leg with a weapon your movement is lowered, your arms get damaged you can't aim as well or you won't be as strong and able. If your shot/stabbed in the chest you'll die soon, a headshot will kill you instantly. If you get punched or beat in the chest you'll be stunned and put on the floor, or beat in the head will knock you out.

I like things this way so I don't have to keep track of health, and I can use KO's as ways to advance the plot if my characters get captured or something fun like that.

I guess the way it is now works well, all I need to do to make my game basically spotless is make a table for the difficulty of shots by distance, target movement and size, and if they're taking cover or not.

Any help there would be golden also. I have a basic idea from my zombie game where the only way to kill was a headshot.

Etarnon
12-28-2008, 04:41 AM
top secret SI used hit points in body areas. If it exceeded the area it was disabled.

Twilight:2000 used a similar system.

Whereas boot hill and top secret 1e used a similar system to each other based on wounds to each area, but your amounts of damage able to be taken were low and did not rise with level. Additionally boot hill had serious wounds 7 HP and lethal wounds 15 HP. Top secret used the hit points without that.

Kind of fuzzy here, but that's what i remember.

placebosonly
12-28-2008, 01:34 PM
a simple way simplify the whole system is make the whole burst of shots 1 roll and just and a exponentially lowering amount of a bonus to the roll as in short burst +4 long burst +6 xtra long +7

wbrandel
12-29-2008, 01:14 AM
I am looking at my Delta Force game right now and they have modifiers for almost everything in them including the damage done by explosives. You could always use that as a base, but keep in mind Delta Force worked off 2d6s for all rolls

Soft Serve
12-29-2008, 03:30 AM
Yeah I'm staying d20.

If a target is standing straight in the open and walking they're easy to hit and theres no roll unless the player is targeting a specific area.

If the target is moveing fast like running, they're hiding behind something as they run (holding up a hostage) and the whole scenario is taking place in a dark foggy forest. The shots need to be more difficult.

on a d20 scale it should be modified according to area specific shots, vision conditions, and the cover the enemy is using, AS WELL as the position of the players from their target. A decently specific table is what I'm going for, but then I'd have to take into consideration how well specific weeapons work at certain distances, in wet conditions, and how much harder it is to hit after so many shots thanks to recoil.

This is all nice to know. To have a basic goal sheet...lol. My games have a lot to do with heavy fog so I have to work with that.

OH ALSO the stability of my characters minds will need to play in here too.

damn I still havea full laundry list of things to do.

placebosonly
12-29-2008, 12:32 PM
the world of darkness core book has a pretty good range list of a lot of weapons along with the armory supplement

Soft Serve
12-31-2008, 02:47 AM
Yeah but mine is set in 1926. So most of those weapons won't work

placebosonly
12-31-2008, 01:26 PM
then you might want to check out the armory supplement it has everything from pen guns to old school silhouette guns
--- Merged from Double Post ---
actually an easier and cheaper way of doing that since you prolly dont want to drop 20-30 dollars just for a reference is getting the demonstration version of hero lab (program) they have data files for WoD and d20 modern and included in the WoD data file is the armory supplement info on weapons might want to check it out

Soft Serve
12-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Where can I see it? Is it online or what?

placebosonly
01-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Where can I see it? Is it online or what?
www.wolflair.com/hero_lab/

the demonstration version is free all you have to do is download it and the appropreate data files and the only thing you really cant do is save or print a character you make with this program (which sounds like isnt a problem since you arnt interested playing the game in question) just go to equipment or armory tab once you have the WoD data files and you can look at all the info for the weapons you want to look at sounds like this would be a great reference for you to convert

Soft Serve
01-02-2009, 07:24 AM
I'd buy this if I was running a normal campaign, it looks really nice. A lot better then some other character generators and stuff I've used. The weapons and armory are really simple, but the statistics look easy to convert.

Thanks a lot. I feel like I owe you a dollar or something now...:biggrin:

placebosonly
01-02-2009, 06:33 PM
not a problem i heard about the program from one of my players recently and its the only thing i will use to make characters these days