PDA

View Full Version : World Jumping Query

Malruhn
12-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Okay, we've all had characters that shifted from one campaign world to another when DM's changed. I have found a new group that wants me to take over as DM. The present DM is new at it - and has been running Eberron... the Whispers of the Vampire's Blade adventure... and I will be taking over as it wraps up.

Problem:

I am not running Eberron - I run a home-brew that has many aspects of Eberron, but it is still home-brew.

The crew has about 10,000 gp in the Sharn banking system - which will be gone when they get to my world. I was looking to have them on an air-ship that is in the process of crashing (the end of the module), and have local mages willing to pay - oh - about 10,000 gp for the pieces parts left from the crashed air-ship.

Is this too fabricated? I am second-guessing myself to death on this one.

None of the characters have anything in Eberron to make them want to go "home", so the PC's will live in my world until I kill them or they retire, so at least that concern is moot.

Any suggestions or points of concern that any PnP'er would have? Thanks!!

Bearfoot_Adam
12-19-2008, 11:11 PM
I think you will be fine on the salvage operation. In fact turn it into a social interaction. Have them auction off the salvage rights or make them go through a bunch of bureaucratic hoops to register it as legal salvage. Depending on how they do maybe they get a little more or less of that 10,000.

Windrider687
12-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Yeah, actually that's a rather good way to go about it. If you make it a bit of a process (going about bidding (have multiple parties put in offers)), it will seem transparent, and the players hopefully won't really notice the numeric effect you're trying to achieve.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Ooh they also have to defend their wreck from pirates and other illegal salvagers until the people who are paying you get there.

tesral
12-21-2008, 10:22 PM
I hate yup yup posts.

YUP YUP!

It works and as said, do it smoothly enough and they won't even notice.

Conversely, you can leave them suddenly broke and they need to do something about it. A reason to adventure maybe?

Malruhn
12-24-2008, 12:25 AM
Well, they are a little over-stocked by their former DM... it may be a good idea to screw them back into being an average-powered party. A good impetus for further adventure.

Thanks for the input.

Yup yup.

tesral
12-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Well, they are a little over-stocked by their former DM... it may be a good idea to screw them back into being an average-powered party. A good impetus for further adventure.

Thanks for the input.

Yup yup.

Just a last minute thing, but I have found that starting the game with a disaster is useful for cementing the party as a party. Captured by slavers, a shipwreck, a barbarian raid on your hometown, all have their uses. You can throw an otherwise disparate party together and through adversity get a whole.

Malruhn
12-24-2008, 12:42 AM
After further thought - it's been a helluva long time since I've used a true disaster like this... hmmmm.

And, then... after the airship crash, they could ALL MEET AT THE INN!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist the jab at the overplayed scenario.

Thinking about it, it may be upwards of 25 YEARS since I've used a legitimate disaster as a plot device. Oh, snap, you've just got my creative juices flowing.

Now I can start working on a plan to get a new player with a warlock that wants to play chaotic evil in the guise of true neutral under control. (insert evil laugh here!!) You ROCK!

cplmac
12-24-2008, 11:59 AM
And just like that most of the problem is solved. May I suggest that you not let them get a lot of money for the salvage. Enough that they can get some basic provisions and such with something left over, but not enough that would allow for the buying of really nice stuff that would make things really easy. Like was mentioned previously, adventuring to earn some money and be able to survive.

akela122301
12-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Barring that, make them face really, really powerful enemies, so that even the purchase of magickal items may not help.
Not that I, who is about to DM for the first time, should be able to tell you, a more experienced DM, how to DM. Sorry about that.

nijineko
12-24-2008, 02:02 PM
how are you handling the transition between worlds? will they be aware that they are shifting from one reality to another? parallel universes? will the world change even be represented by a mechanic in the game context? why won't they have money in the banking system in the new world? i have a lot of suggestions, but i would prefer more information to go on. in the meanwhile, the salvage idea is workable.

Malruhn
12-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Barring that, make them face really, really powerful enemies, so that even the purchase of magickal items may not help.
Not that I, who is about to DM for the first time, should be able to tell you, a more experienced DM, how to DM. Sorry about that.Dude, let me say that I've learned more about running games from people that didn't know squat than I EVER learned from master DM's. You guys don't know the RULES and the CONVENTIONS, so you ask strange questions and keep asking, "WHY??" This keeps ME thinking in new and different ways!

nijineko, they are playing "Whispers of the Vampire's Blade" adventure. In it, there is a scenario where they are flying on an airship that is attacked by another. I've modified the scenario slightly, with the second airship being powered by a garantuan AIR elemental rather than a huge fire elemental per the standard Eberron rules. Also, the pilot is NOT from House Lyrandar, so the bindings are not entirely kosher. The scenario has the two ships crashing into each other - and when they do, the scema that bind the elementals will be damaged. Both elementals will attempt to gate out to their respective planes - and the resonance field between the two nearly-overlapping gates will throw the airships into the ethereal plane for just a moment or two.

Keep in mind, this is all the while the party is fighting a vampire... so they won't be able to do anything about the situation.

The gates will allow the departure of the elementals, and the closing of the gates will push the airship into an alternative Prime Material plane... mine. The airships will crash onto an army HQ in the middle of a pitched battle. The destruction will break the back of the army, allowing the "good" guys to win - and all should be wrapping up as the party finally deals with the vampire BBEG.

I have recently (two years or so) introduced many of the mechanics from Eberron into my world (a lightning rail, Dragonmarks). This will be the introduction of warforged (there's one in the party).

They won't have any money in the bank here, because it is a totally different universe... they didn't EXIST here a minute ago, so there is no money in the bank...

I can see this now - a pitched battle, the invaders getting the upper hand. Suddenly a great explosion and a flaming SOMETHING crashes into the invaders' base of operations. We grab the opportunity and attack, winning the day... and in the aftermath, we find four people and an automaton that claim to have come from somewhere else...

This will give a perfect opportunity for role-playing to get out of a tight situation, possibly get some highly ranked contacts - AND learn a bit about my campaign world.

After Tesral's comments, I'm thinking about confiscating the entire crash-site for the Crown - and not let them even grab anything not on their bodies... (insert another evil laugh here!)

Bearfoot_Adam
12-25-2008, 12:33 AM
This will give a perfect opportunity for role-playing to get out of a tight situation, possibly get some highly ranked contacts - AND learn a bit about my campaign world.

(insert another evil laugh here!)

Got to love moments of random exposition.

cplmac
12-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Malruhn, how about this for an idea? When the crash site gets claimed for the crown, the commander of the winning force allows the party to take only what they are able to carry themselves. This way the party has to choose specific items to take and which items to leave since they can't carry everything. You could also use the crash to convienently destroy some items that you would prefer the party did not have, since you said the previous DM was overgenerous. <again, insert your evil laugh>

Bearfoot_Adam
12-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Malruhn, how about this for an idea? When the crash site gets claimed for the crown, the commander of the winning force allows the party to take only what they are able to carry themselves. This way the party has to choose specific items to take and which items to leave since they can't carry everything. You could also use the crash to convienently destroy some items that you would prefer the party did not have, since you said the previous DM was overgenerous. <again, insert your evil laugh>

And then they have to outwit, outlast, outplay with only those items they took from the crash site... Oh wait that's a different game

Malruhn
12-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Why is it that I smell something from Barrier Peaks in this??

Now I just have to find out how many portable holes and bags of holding this group has... I am hoping none.

I will definitely keep you guys posted on how this went.

Aidan
12-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Simple, make the gate destroy all extra-dimensional magical items such as bags of holding and or portable holes.

Malruhn
12-26-2008, 12:06 AM
You are an evil man.

BRILLIANT...

but evil... (insert the now quite repetitive evil laugh here)

EDIT:

I just traded e-mails with the present DM... and am quite worried. He was bringing a "standard" warmage in as his PC - he WAS going to be using it as a DM-PC prior to me taking over, but wants to use it as his character.

He is 6th level... and has 70 skill points, +2 armor, and a +3 sword... and we didn't even get into the general magical items. As far as character value - this group is overpowered over twice what is suggested in the DMG... so any misgivings that I had for "losing" any of their items in the switch are magically GONE! :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that they won't like me very much after they recover their bearings after the crash.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-26-2008, 01:01 AM
Hold true and stick it to them.

akela122301
12-26-2008, 01:09 AM
That's true. You are the DM. As far as your world goes, YOU are Deity Personified.
:laugh:

tesral
12-26-2008, 02:42 AM
However, I urge caution. There is a big difference between a disaster to bring the party together, and raping over the PCs. Do too much too fast and you will alienate the players.

Edward
12-26-2008, 12:31 PM
My approach in these types of situations is to simply talk to the players and explain that my campaign is much lower-powered than their previous one, and that they'll need to be seriously downgraded in order to fit (not only in gold and magic but also in level and skills; I only downgrade stats if they're above the normal maximums). I still role-play the transition, but they're expecting it and don't get upset.

This can be a particularly sensitive situation if you're dealing with new players.

Malruhn
12-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I fear that my fears have been for naught.

And the whole thing is moot... (MOOT, dammit, not "mute"!!).

I just traded e-mails with the present DM and found that every one of the players has at least two Flaws... and the resultant feats for them. I have never allowed Flaws, and the DM says that the players are digging their heels in so they don't lose them.

I may have lost a party before I gained them.

My only hope is to play their Flaws so tightly that they all decide that they want to dump the characters and start anew to get rid of the yokes of unplayability that Flaws invariably create. "You got the flaw of Irritability? Congrats, you'll never be able to haggle or negotiate a treaty... By the way, how did you manage to stick with this party?"

I think my gaming is in trouble before it even started... dammit.

tesral
12-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Garry's First Rule of Fantasy
All RPG is fantasy, even if it is not. Of course it's fantasy, if it was real you would be living it, not playing it in a game.

Do not change reality more than necessary to make your Universe work. Real world physics are you friend, you do not need to explain gravity weather or general how the world functions. So don't complicate things that do not require complication. Adding super science or magic is complication enough.

Write to your audience.
Know your players. Ask what they like and what they want to see in the game. Vital, ASK. Don't assume, poll the players, inquire and check things out. Their role in the game is as iimportant as yours.

The Rule of Yes.
Unless there is a compelling reason to say no, say yes. Playing a game with Dr. No isn't any fun. Players want to have fun and to do things. There is a time and place for obstacles, learn and know that time and place. Trying to find a royal blue shirt or spell components in the market is not that time.

A roll is not required for everything, even if a roll is required. Use judgment in applying the dice. Dice are random, random isn't vital even if the rules say it is.

Keep encounters open ended.
An encounter with one solution is bad. I do not write encounters with a solution in mind. I present the problem, and let the players tell me how it will be solved. Remember they are creative too. Use that.

Frustrated players are bad. Look back to the Rule of Yes. If you players cannot solve something because you wrote in a single solution they didn't think of, they get frustrated. This makes the GM look bad.

Use any reasonable solution, be open to solutions you didn't think of. As above, rule of yes and keep and open minds. You have one brain, your players have one each. Use the brains around you to improve the game.

BE FLEXIBLE!
Don't script. Players will do the unpredictable. And that is that. You want north they go south. You have the old gypsy with the legend they visit everyone but.

When that happens, punt. If an encounter is important, it can be fit in elsewhere. Only you know how the scenario is assembled. No one will smite you if you shuffle the parts. If the Vicar has the legend and not the Gypsy you don't loose GMing points.

Most Important, have fun. The game is played for fun. If everyone is having fun, you are a successful GM.

My point here is to go with the flow. You are looking for ways to bend these characters around to you image, not looking for ways to have fun. So they used flaws, punt. What you are dealing with right now is the main reason I don't do this kind of thing. However, it isn't beyond doing.

OK, these guys are a bit more powerful. Use encounters that take that into account rather than looking for take-backs. Prove youself the flexable and adaptable DM and you gain points. The next set of characters can be done your way.

Edward
12-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Another option is to persuade them to start fresh with new characters. If they plan to continue role-playing, they'll have many different characters over the years; they can't expect to keep the same character every time they switch campaigns. They can save their current characters for the next high-powered campaign they join.

If they've never played in a low-powered campaign before, they should view this as an opportunity to broaden their experience.

akela122301
12-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Another option is to persuade them to start fresh with new characters. If they plan to continue role-playing, they'll have many different characters over the years; they can't expect to keep the same character every time they switch campaigns. They can save their current characters for the next high-powered campaign they join.

If they've never played in a low-powered campaign before, they should view this as an opportunity to broaden their experience.

You missed the point. The characters are world-jumping, which means they keep the characters they have.

Edward
12-27-2008, 10:20 PM
The characters are world-jumping, which means they keep the characters they have.

But world-jumping isn't the only option, unless they're dead-set on it.

1958Fury
12-29-2008, 11:40 AM
I just traded e-mails with the present DM and found that every one of the players has at least two Flaws... and the resultant feats for them. I have never allowed Flaws, and the DM says that the players are digging their heels in so they don't lose them.

Sounds to me like your systems are just too different. My gut instinct is "no", that these characters should stay in their own universe, and they should start new characters for yours.

Simple, make the gate destroy all extra-dimensional magical items such as bags of holding and or portable holes.

Or tell them: Magic is a little different in this universe. The underlying forces of power that kept your magic items charged, are different here. It's like trying to plug an American appliance into a European power outlet. Any magic items you brought with you are now just ordinary, non-magical items in this universe. Even the party's magic users will be useless for a few days, until their bodies adapt to the new world.

Plus, if they hang onto the items (or put them into storage somehow), and they ever happen to go back to their old universe, they can use the items again. So they haven't really lost anything.

However, I urge caution. There is a big difference between a disaster to bring the party together, and raping over the PCs. Do too much too fast and you will alienate the players.

Exactly, you are making your first impressions here. If you spend the first adventure taking away all the items that they spent a long time earning, then they might think you're going to do it all the time. Make sure they understand why they're getting screwed, lest they think it's your norm.

Malruhn
12-31-2008, 01:43 AM
Thanks, gang.

I met with the group today. The Flaws aren't as bad as I had thunk, and I've agreed to accept them.

Now my task is to deal with a new player with a Warlock that only knows how to blast. His Flaws include "Inattentive" hitting him with a -4 on spot and listen checks. I smell lots of flanking maneuvers with kobolds in this guy's future!

I have lots of things planned.

One player is rebuilding his character to go from a warrior/rogue (2/3) to a warrior/spellthief. I am going to have a spectacular magical show as gates and magic get blasted about. His character will be horribly hurt (-9 - auto-stabilized), and when he comes to, he'll be rebuilt.

The Warforged is looking one day to get an oversized armblade (already has Monkey Grip). I think I'll make his right hand big like Hell Boy's - and wait for him to buy the accessory for it.

After my initial misgivings, I think this will turn out well.

But I think they'll be pissed when I destroy their bag of holding and the Heward's Haversack. At least they have the chance to go adventuring to rebuild their wealth.

Grimwell
12-31-2008, 03:27 PM
At least they have the chance to go adventuring to rebuild their wealth.

Which one of the many good reasons to play. I think that you are on a great path with them, and while there might be some initial shock, the long term could be fantastic. Keep us updated eh?

Malruhn
01-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Oh, will do!! I should be meeting with the guys this weekend to get game mechanics worked out.

I think my biggest challenge will be getting a new player with a Warlock to start ROLE-playing and get into the character BEHIND the piece of paper. He's just a 3d6 blastifier right now - with no idea or interest in who or what gives him the powers he has. I have my work cut out for me!!

Grimwell
01-02-2009, 02:04 AM
He's just a 3d6 blastifier right now - with no idea or interest in who or what gives him the powers he has.

...but that whateveritis has a serious interest in who it's giving the powers to. Your problem is your solution. You have a power gamer on a leash, have the "other" that provides Warlock powers yank the leash a bit and see what happens! :D

Malruhn
01-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Does anyone mind if I de-rail my own thread??

So where exactly DO a warlock's powers come from? I had thunk they were a by-product of whatever was done to them by the Entity or cultists or whatever... and a tiny bit of hell-fire was able to be blasted out in blast fashion. Are you intimating that the power is granted by... something or someone, like a Clerical Miracle??

My thoughts were that if skippy doesn't give me a background, a background would be assigned, and I was thinking like this:
(This is ripped right out of "Rosemary's Baby")
Cultists get a dupe to marry in to their group, she gets pregnant and the intent is that the infant was to be a sacrificial offering to an unnamed evil deity here (I'm thinking demonic, but it may be a lost godling). As mom goes into labor, the cult grabs her and does an emergency C-section via bastard sword to get the kid. As they hold the baby aloft and the tendrils of evil-deity-smoke wrap around the screaming kid, Holy Bob the Paladin and the Paladin's of the Uber-Gooditude show up and slay all the cultists, rescuing the baby.

Unfortunately, the evil "thing" left a taint on the baby's soul - and this gives the kid the ability to Eldritch Blastify and stuff.

I am thinking that the BBEG will start to send minions to re-collect the offering... like a single shadow every so often. Perhaps the party will find a small magical hand-mirror... that allows an avatar to speak to the Warlock... offering power and abilities if he starts doing evilness and baditude.

I think the player is weak enough to fall for it, but then I think the group would eventually get wind of it and I would be starting intra-party strife - which I DETEST.

So where DO warlocks get their mojo in your campaigns?

tesral
01-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Well the one I am currently playing is a Fey warlock, and his powers come from the essential chaotic forces that caress his soul. Like you idea he was child engendered for a reason, and stolen away from that reason. He fights the call that is the reason he was made, swearing to be the weapon of no one but himself.

So the answer is the fey power that also power the glamors and magic of the fey themselves. Neither good nor evil, it depends on how they are used.

dr pepper
01-03-2009, 02:21 AM
Ok, i'm a little late for this conversation, but here's something i was thinking of using, if i ever get to gm again. See my game is totally homebrew, with different rules, settings, and peoples, from AD&D. So i was thinking one way to introduce new players would be to have them make AD&D chars, then i would make equivalents to fit my game.

Anyway, if you were to do something like that, here's how i'd recommend you do the transition.

The other airship approaches, the characters are fighting off the vampire. Just as the vampire goes *poof*, the airships crash, the escape reaction of the elementals drags everything into the interdimension, then they fall to the other world.

Meanshile down below is the great battle. On the "good" side, a somewhat familiar looking band is a ways off from the main action, under supernatural attack.

CRASH! The "evil" side is demolished and the survivors flee. At the instant of impact, the players are conscious only of disruption.

And then blackness, actually a lack of all sensory input, not just light, but sound, smell, taste, texture, and weight. And a feeling of insecurity, of nakedness and a childlike fear of being lost. But they somehow sense safety and move towards it.

Something malevolent moves towards them, passes them. In its wake they sense figures being dragged. They get closer, then each player passes *through* one of these others. Or vice versa. No matter, they've found their shelters and dive into them.

Immediately they feel a return of solidity, and the senses. And pain, stiffness, nausea, vertigo, and thirst. It's still dark, but that seems to be because of some heavy cloth lying on top of them. They hear voices.

"So, Governor, our land is safe." "That is good to know, General. Have you found out whom we have to thank for that most timely intervention?" "Alas, Sir, the crew of the mysterous vessel all perished in the crash. But i will personally see to it that they are buried with honors. We owe them that much at least." "Very good then. Now about the casualties?" "Of course, Governor. We lost far fewer than we had feared. The bodies are laid out at the south end of the camp. You will be expected to make a speech..." "Sigh, of course." "And in this tent we have the ones who will still need a lot of recuperation, even after the clerics have seen to them. And then we have these." "General? Why are these people covered up? I can see they are still breathing!" "These are the saddest cases, Sir. They were touched by the Soul Stealer. These bodies are just empty shells now, although breath and pulse will continue for a little longer. But you should know that they stood fast, and kept the demon occupied. It had been on its way to your quarters, Sir." "Such courage and loyalty deserves-- wait! General-- i think one of them is trying to sit up!"

And so the players sort of keep their old characters, and sort of get new ones. Their brief passthrough with the former owners of their new bodies will replace all of their local knowledge and provide them with a certain amount of recognition of the place and people they wake up to.

As for flaws and feats and such, you can say they are temporarily surpressed and have to be reearned.

As for the warlock, no prob-- changing worlds broke the connection. He cannot replace his stored power until he finds another sponsor.

As for the robot, i have no clue. Perhaps he can start as a regular fleshly body, which gradually changes.

Malruhn
01-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Our first session is now history. I even got the recalcitrant Warlock to consider a background story!!

All of their stuff made it with them... yes, it was weak and sad of me, but I am in such a horrid state of gaming withdrawal that if someone suggested a half-dragon, half-demon, plane-touched uber-godling as a character, I'd probably accept it just so I could roll dice and play again!!

Anyway, the crash went well, and they didn't kill their "rescuers" who initially arrested the party as enemy collaborators. What they DID do was have a mini-trial and find the party guilty of some 200 charges of murder - as the airships fell out of the sky on a pen of POW's... and all were killed.

Sentence? Their lives are forfeit until the Crown decides that they can be "trusted." So until that time, they are working for the Emperor and won't get to keep ANY treasure... until they have what a normal character of that level should have.

Yay me!! One problem solved!!

This Saturday I get to teach them what a well-played bad guy can do! They're all in a 5' wide corridor that ends in a VERY stout door with crossbow slits in it... and on the other side is a 5th level Warlock, a 5th level Wizard, and about ten 2nd level Orcan fighters with crossbows.

I smell the possibility of at least one death... especially when the TWO lightning bolts come blasting down the corridor. After that the Wizard is nothing but a buffer, but it should be good!

I'll keep you posted!!

Bearfoot_Adam
01-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Good luck and glad it kicked off well.

nijineko
01-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Does anyone mind if I de-rail my own thread??

So where exactly DO a warlock's powers come from? I had thunk they were a by-product of whatever was done to them by the Entity or cultists or whatever... and a tiny bit of hell-fire was able to be blasted out in blast fashion. Are you intimating that the power is granted by... something or someone, like a Clerical Miracle??

My thoughts were that if skippy doesn't give me a background, a background would be assigned, and I was thinking like this:
(This is ripped right out of "Rosemary's Baby")
Cultists get a dupe to marry in to their group, she gets pregnant and the intent is that the infant was to be a sacrificial offering to an unnamed evil deity here (I'm thinking demonic, but it may be a lost godling). As mom goes into labor, the cult grabs her and does an emergency C-section via bastard sword to get the kid. As they hold the baby aloft and the tendrils of evil-deity-smoke wrap around the screaming kid, Holy Bob the Paladin and the Paladin's of the Uber-Gooditude show up and slay all the cultists, rescuing the baby.

Unfortunately, the evil "thing" left a taint on the baby's soul - and this gives the kid the ability to Eldritch Blastify and stuff.

I am thinking that the BBEG will start to send minions to re-collect the offering... like a single shadow every so often. Perhaps the party will find a small magical hand-mirror... that allows an avatar to speak to the Warlock... offering power and abilities if he starts doing evilness and baditude.

I think the player is weak enough to fall for it, but then I think the group would eventually get wind of it and I would be starting intra-party strife - which I DETEST.

So where DO warlocks get their mojo in your campaigns?

i have multiple sources for warlocks. and i have alternate invocations for some of those sources too. for the evil outsider origin, i pretty much leave it as is. then i have a fey origin, and a good outsider origin... others are possibilities, but that's it for what i have so far.

Malruhn
01-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Well, they managed to survive. The trip down the hallway was nearly fatal. If it weren't for one of the characters (Dragonmarked feats with House Orien that allows him to teleport) that got behind the door with an "Entangle" in a bag (tanglefoot bag on steroids), it would have been a TPK due to a mix between player stupidity and bad dice rolls.

As it was, of the 6th level party, the teleporter was down to zero HP's, the tank had two HP's, and none of the other four had more than ten HP's. What do they do immediately afterwards? Blow ALL their healing to get back up to max, and dash off after the next encounter... a flesh golem (CR7).

Now the Tank has two HP's again, the telepoter has about ten HP's and nobody has ANY healing magic left. Oh, did I mention that they already know that the next (and very last) encounter is nothing but the BBEG??

The next session ought to be good.

The group is SO overpowered and underskilled that I was amazed! The tank (Warforged fighter) is trying to play a finesse warrior with a jaugernaut build. The warlock is just... "Ooh, something moved, 'Eldritch Blast!'" The only one that seems to be playing what he has is the Cleric, who is just a little too free with his healing magic. The first thing he used were his spells - and kept the healing Potions for when they were IN BATTLE!! Huh?

It was a bit scary.

I hope it get's better!

Bearfoot_Adam
01-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Glad to know things are going well. IF this keeps up you may be able to dump those over powered twinks after all

Malruhn
03-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Well, this whole thing is moot now.

The group was horribly overpowered, and we made agreements to curtail it... and what did the party immediately do? Begin hording treasure without turning it over to the authorities. They were overpowered, so I treated them like they were overpowered, and they started to whine that I was being "mean" and "stingy" with treasure and experience.

When I talked to them, they said that they really thought that after two encounters that they should go up a level... and there should be upwards of 5000 gp worth of treasure PER CHARACTER on each encounter that they kill and loot.

Well, until I move to Boston this summer, I will be gameless.

Que sera, c'est le'guerre and hey, nonny, nonny. I'll get over it.

John Wolf
04-15-2009, 03:20 AM
As the DM it is up to you to say"Not in my Game!", You can do more than let them lose the money. If they have any equipment or abilities, feats ect. that don't go well in your game, have them change it. It's often easier to start from scratch when ever you start a new campaign.

Malruhn
04-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Ah - obviously you don't understand the power of an addiction.

I've been Jonesing so long to actually play, I would have agreed to just about anything. It's always the hangover that gets the alcoholic to say, "I'll never do THAT again," until the next chance to do it comes along.

I love to play - and I really love to DM - but next time I won't mix my liquors and make them start from scratch.