PDA

View Full Version : I wish you a merry christmas!

GoddessGood
12-17-2008, 11:40 AM
And now, for the bored at work segment of our show:

It's said that if you fold one thousand paper cranes, you get a wish. How long does it take to fold a paper crane? Five minutes maybe? If so, it'd take about 5 minutes * 1000 cranes / 60 minutes in an hour / 24 hours in a day = 3 days, 11 hours and 20 minutes of constant crane making to get one wish. So if I started on monday morning, bright and early, I'd have a wish by some time on thursday. I bet if I had a whole workshop of elves like santa does to help me make cranes, then the work would go a lot faster.

If I had one elf constantly making cranes, how many could he make in a year? Hmmm, now lets be fair, though. If he only works 12 hours a day (leaving the rest for eating, sleeping and taking breaks) every day that'd give him half a man year (well, let's say elf year) per year of work. That's 365.25 / 2 = 182.625 elf days, or 4,383 elf hours or 262,980 elf minutes of work. At 5 minutes a crane, that's 262,980 / 5 = 52,596 cranes which amounts to 52.596 wishes per year, per elf. That's one wish a week! If I had only seven elves working for me, that'd be a wish a day! 168 elves could net me a wish an hour ... but I wouldn't get my first wish until a half hour after they'd started ... 1000 cranes / 168 elves * 5 minutes per crane per elf = 29 minutes, 46 seconds.

Where can I get me some elves?

Webhead
12-17-2008, 11:52 AM
...Where can I get me some elves?

The best part is that they work for sugar plums and candy canes. Buy those in bulk and you can get some good prices...

GoddessGood
12-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Or I could just use the first wish to wish for a box of candy canes :) Then I could wish for more paper. I assume wishes would pile up overnight while I slept, so I could wish each morning for supplies for the days work and after a while it could be a self sustaining industry :).

Webhead
12-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Or I could just use the first wish to wish for a box of candy canes :) Then I could wish for more paper. I assume wishes would pile up overnight while I slept, so I could wish each morning for supplies for the days work and after a while it could be a self sustaining industry :).

Ooh! I like that idea! It's kinda like elf-powered cold fusion! :D

boulet
12-17-2008, 12:18 PM
You guys need to go elf-powered cold turkey

:)

tesral
12-17-2008, 01:54 PM
But would not the Elves get the wishes? After they are the ones making the cranes. The universe notices things like that. Karma can not be bought.

Sascha
12-17-2008, 02:00 PM
According to the majority ruling in K. Kringle v. South Pole, works resulting in wishes are the property of the employer, not the labor. Too bad, eh?

gdmcbride
12-17-2008, 05:24 PM
According to the majority ruling in K. Kringle v. South Pole, works resulting in wishes are the property of the employer, not the labor. Too bad, eh?

Oh, you haven't heard about 7th Circuit ruling of Donner v. Kringle that threatens to overturn that? It could completely shut the polar wish market.

Of course, what it really means is that we are likely to see the first truly independent elven nation since Alfheimr was absorbed into Norway.

Gary

DragonDM
12-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Merry Christmas!

Elf, Human and even Monster.

Webhead
12-17-2008, 05:47 PM
...Of course, what it really means is that we are likely to see the first truly independent elven nation since Alfheimr was absorbed into Norway...

(Does best Alec Guiness impression): "Alfheim...now that's a name I've not heard in a long time...a long time..."

cplmac
12-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Merry Christmas!

Elf, Human and even Monster.

Now lets not forget the Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings, and what the heck, lets toss the Kender in the barrel too.

Whether it's Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanza, or any others that I may not be aware of yet, here's wishing a joyous time to one and all.

Sascha
12-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Oh, you haven't heard about 7th Circuit ruling of Donner v. Kringle that threatens to overturn that? It could completely shut the polar wish market.

Of course, what it really means is that we are likely to see the first truly independent elven nation since Alfheimr was absorbed into Norway.

Gary
Oh, most definitely, though I'd predict years of appeals, due to the sheer size of the Kringle machine. At least, unless another Wintergate happens, which'd most certainly topple the wish giant.

spotlight
12-17-2008, 07:40 PM
About that crane makin' thing. It was my understanding that not only did you have to make them, but you had to give them to some one. Which means yer elves would get the wishes, but only if they got out of the shop. And youd only get the debt.

DragonDM
12-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Now lets not forget the Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings, and what the heck, lets toss the Kender in the barrel too.

Whether it's Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanza, or any others that I may not be aware of yet, here's wishing a joyous time to one and all.

I'm certainly not going to list every Race there is. I'd nay have time to celebrate!!

Of course I included Gnomes!
I mean, just because 4e made them a "Monster" Race.....

GoddessGood
12-18-2008, 10:45 AM
blah blah blah ... Kringle machine ... blah blah
Damnit, now I'm hungry for kringle.

I wish for a kringle machine!

ronpyatt
12-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Every race is a monster. Stay comfortable, cold, or hot as the case may be.

Dimthar
12-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Feliz Navidad.. ...Prospero Aņo y Felicidad

:sing: I want to wish you a Merry Christmas ..... lalalalala (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgoolZ-Mo48)

tesral
12-19-2008, 01:47 AM
Wee fish ewe a mare egrets moose.
Panda hippo gnu deer!

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
12-19-2008, 04:06 AM
Where can I get me some elves?

I would propose that you, or someone you contract, create them in a laboratory.

It would not be easy. and it may infuriate the religious right, but im sure you could make lab-elves with the proper funding.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Ooh! I like that idea! It's kinda like elf-powered cold fusion! :D

Hold on!

the elves could unionize. they could have some labor union lobby that is more powerful than you are.
and if you do not pay all of these elves and give them certain benefits you will be clapped by the Department of Labor and the FBI.

Etarnon
12-19-2008, 04:58 AM
Any elves thus made would then be human, or the redefinition of such.

Don't Destroy Tolkien's work. Leave us our innocence, I prithee.

DragonDM
12-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Etarnon - Don't Destroy Tolkien's work. Leave us our innocence, I prithee.

While I am a dedicated fan, I lack the true dedication of a fanatic.
I only know some of Mr Tolkien's works. I expand that as I have the time, though.

Mr. Tolken, whilst a good writer, did not create Elves, nor Dwarves, nor Hobbits, nor the Ents; not even Orcs, nor Goblins, nor Trolls, nor [rumored] Kobolds.

Mr. Tolkien simply designed a believable mythos for explaining where they all came from, and a detailed History for each, and how they interacted.
If one can actually read The Silmarillion in it's entirety.

Christopher Tolkien did his best to put together the last of these stories, in Lost Tales of Middle Earth. But, there are a lot of references to The Silmarillion.

In respect to thy request, I won't place the entirety of the post that I had in mind. Instead, I'll post them elsewhere.

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
12-20-2008, 01:16 PM
If one can actually read The Silmarillion in it's entirety.

I did. Engrossing stuff. I would read it before going to bed. I ended up reading until 5:30 am every night. Finished in a week. :cool:

It was all the more a magical experience because I was playing
Battle for Middle Earth II while I was reading it. I was immersed in the fantasy! it was a real trip.

DragonDM
12-21-2008, 01:41 PM
I have tried several times to read it.
I don't currenly own the book, or I might try again.
There are an aweful lot of small details that you have to keep track of, so that all the stories made sense.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good book...

cplmac
12-21-2008, 11:12 PM

Panda hippo gnu deer!

OK, I think tesral may have had a little to much egg nog.

tesral
12-22-2008, 01:01 AM
OK, I think tesral may have had a little to much egg nog.

I don't drink egg nog, nasty stuff.

DragonDM
12-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Swipes tesral's portion and guzzles it down.
Holds out glass stiegn and asks: "Warm Chocolate?"

Chi
12-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Merry christmas!

cplmac
12-22-2008, 10:40 PM

I totally agree with this statement!:puke:

Swipes tesral's portion and guzzles it down.
Holds out glass stiegn and asks: "Warm Chocolate?"

<hands his cup to DragonDM>

boulet
12-23-2008, 10:19 AM
I totally agree with this statement!:puke:

I agree too. Though after seeing Alton Brown's show about eggnog, and the invitation of bourbon to the party, I would give a try to the adult version of the home made stuff.

DragonDM
12-23-2008, 06:37 PM
<hands his cup to DragonDM>

Fills said to the brim with warm Chocolate. Asks: "Marshmellos?"

mrken
12-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Gotta have marshmallows with your hot chocolate. That's how you know your loved, if there are marshmallows on the top. My kids still wait for them when we indulge.

Grimwell
12-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Happy Christmas Eve!!!

DragonDM
12-25-2008, 10:28 AM
I doest wish love and joy to thee and thine.
May they last until this day returns.

Merry Christmas !

cplmac
12-25-2008, 11:13 AM
To the staff, members, and visitors of the site, Merry Christmas to one and all.

Etarnon
12-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Yep, Happy Holidays from Ocelotgames.