PDA

View Full Version : How cold is it where you live?

mrken
12-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Another question for you to think about and weigh in on.

Yesterday I asked a question here and one person was saying how cold it was in Washington state and a member from Pennsylvania noted how cold it has been there. Well, I know how blasted cold it gets in PA, but it kind of surprised me that Washington was cold. I live in Colorado where we get mostly mild weather all year long and we have broke the record for cold twice here this week and tied the record another day. It has been below zero much of the week and we are getting ready for another Arctic blast on Saturday.

So, how cold is or has it got where you live. -19 here in the Denver area.

raven21
12-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Its 78 here in wonderful Orlando Florida.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-17-2008, 08:53 AM
It's 39 degrees with 100% humidity in So. Cal. This was at 6:52am.

GoddessGood
12-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Well, yesterday the roads iced over, but I still managed to come in to work. It was 24 most of the day and finally warmed up to 31. It was a toasty 37 this morning, though :)

Sascha
12-17-2008, 10:15 AM
I chipped a tooth on my coffee this morning, if that counts. ;)

Freejack
12-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Well, it was -19 a couple of days ago at Denver International Airport but it was 20* this morning. I'm hoping enough ice is gone today from the side roads that I'll be able to take the motorcycle to work again. Riding in this cage is driving me insane :D

Carl

tesral
12-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Yes, yes, winter coming.

It's a cold as it's going to be. Wear my boots and coat today. When you Live in Michigan it gets cold, then it gets hot and humid, when it's not cold.

Valdar
12-17-2008, 01:48 PM
In my last meeting, we determined that the local Farenheit temperature in Seattle (20 or so) was pretty close to the Celsius temperature of where one of our remote workers was videoconferencing in from (Charlotte, NC)...

Skunkape
12-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Its 78 here in wonderful Orlando Florida.

Ah, the joys of riding my Harley during the winter. It's 77 right now in St. Petersburg!:D

Bearfoot_Adam
12-17-2008, 01:58 PM
We got a nice 34 degrees in Portland which is pretty mild for this former Ohioan.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-17-2008, 03:42 PM
It's 37 degrees with 100% humidity in So. Cal. Seeing some snow flurries at the moment, nothing sticking though. This was at 1:42pm.

tesral
12-17-2008, 04:04 PM
The Annotated Thermometer
Original Author Unknown
Embellished by Many

140 F. (60 C.) Cockroaches display their evolutionary superiority over man.

120 F. (48.9 C.) You arrive in Death Valley for your two week camping trip. Cool day in Hell.

110 F. (43.3 C.) Too hot to think. Canadians evaporate.

100 F. (37.8 C.) Arizonans turn on their swamp coolers. Eggs cook on sidewalks.

90 F. (32.2 C.) Californians turn on their air conditioners (except in San Francisco, where no one installs them). Wisconsinites head for the north woods.

80 F. (26.7 C.) Californians go swimming. Minnesotans turn on their fans.

70 F. (21.1 C.) Lower end of comfort zone for Sun Belt Denizens. Canadians consider joining nudist colonies. Cat only comes in for food.

60 F. (15.6 C.) Californians put on sweaters (if they can find one in their wardrobe).

50 F. (10.0 C.) Miami residents turn on the heat. Wisconsinites plant gardens.

40 F. (4.4 C.) You can see your breath. Californians shiver uncontrollably. Minnesotans go swimming.

35 F. (1.7 C.) Italian cars don't start.

32 F. (0 C.) Water freezes. San Franciscans speak of L.A. favorably.

30 F. (-1.1 C.) You plan your vacation to Australia. Minnesotans put on T-shirts. Politicians begin to worry about the homeless. British cars don't start.

25 F. (-3.9 C.) Boston water freezes. Californians weep pitiably. Minnesotans eat ice cream. Canadians go swimming.

20 F. (-6.7 C.) You can hear your breath. Politicians begin to talk about the homeless. New York City water freezes. Miami residents plan vacation further South.

15 F. (-9.4 C.) French cars don't start. You plan a vacation in Mexico. Cat insists on sleeping in your bed with you.

10 F. (-12.2 C.) Too cold to ski. You need jumper cables to get the car going.

5 F. (-15 C.) You plan your vacation in Houston. American cars don't start.

0 F. (-17.8 C.) Alaskans put on T-shirts. Too cold to skate.

-10 F. (-23.3 C.) German cars don't start. Eyes freeze shut when you blink.

-15 F. (-26.1 C.) You can cut your breath and use it to build an igloo. Arkansans stick tongue on metal objects. New York landlords turn on heat. Miami residents cease to exist.

-20 F. (-28.9 C.) Cat insists on sleeping in your pajamas with you. Politicians actually do something about the homeless. Minnesotans shovel snow off their roofs. Japanese cars don't start.

-25 F. (-31.7 C.) Too cold to think. You need jumper cables to get the driver going.

-30 F. (-34.4 C.) You plan a two week hot bath. The Mighty Monongahela freezes. Swedish cars don't start.

-40 F. (-40 C.) Californians disappear. Minnesotans button top button. Canadians put on sweaters. Your car helps you plan your trip South.

-50 F. (-45.6 C.) Congressional hot air freezes. The Green Bay Packers practice indoors. Alaskans close the bathroom window.

-80 F. (-62.2 C.) Hell freezes over. Polar bears move south. Minnesotans look toward Wisconsin, thinking it MUST be warmer.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Original Author Unknown
Embellished by Many

140 F. (60 C.) Cockroaches display their evolutionary superiority over man.

120 F. (48.9 C.) You arrive in Death Valley for your two week camping trip. Cool day in Hell.

110 F. (43.3 C.) Too hot to think. Canadians evaporate.

100 F. (37.8 C.) Arizonans turn on their swamp coolers. Eggs cook on sidewalks.

90 F. (32.2 C.) Californians turn on their air conditioners (except in San Francisco, where no one installs them). Wisconsinites head for the north woods.

80 F. (26.7 C.) Californians go swimming. Minnesotans turn on their fans.

70 F. (21.1 C.) Lower end of comfort zone for Sun Belt Denizens. Canadians consider joining nudist colonies. Cat only comes in for food.

60 F. (15.6 C.) Californians put on sweaters (if they can find one in their wardrobe).

50 F. (10.0 C.) Miami residents turn on the heat. Wisconsinites plant gardens.

40 F. (4.4 C.) You can see your breath. Californians shiver uncontrollably. Minnesotans go swimming.

35 F. (1.7 C.) Italian cars don't start.

32 F. (0 C.) Water freezes. San Franciscans speak of L.A. favorably.

30 F. (-1.1 C.) You plan your vacation to Australia. Minnesotans put on T-shirts. Politicians begin to worry about the homeless. British cars don't start.

25 F. (-3.9 C.) Boston water freezes. Californians weep pitiably. Minnesotans eat ice cream. Canadians go swimming.

20 F. (-6.7 C.) You can hear your breath. Politicians begin to talk about the homeless. New York City water freezes. Miami residents plan vacation further South.

15 F. (-9.4 C.) French cars don't start. You plan a vacation in Mexico. Cat insists on sleeping in your bed with you.

10 F. (-12.2 C.) Too cold to ski. You need jumper cables to get the car going.

5 F. (-15 C.) You plan your vacation in Houston. American cars don't start.

0 F. (-17.8 C.) Alaskans put on T-shirts. Too cold to skate.

-10 F. (-23.3 C.) German cars don't start. Eyes freeze shut when you blink.

-15 F. (-26.1 C.) You can cut your breath and use it to build an igloo. Arkansans stick tongue on metal objects. New York landlords turn on heat. Miami residents cease to exist.

-20 F. (-28.9 C.) Cat insists on sleeping in your pajamas with you. Politicians actually do something about the homeless. Minnesotans shovel snow off their roofs. Japanese cars don't start.

-25 F. (-31.7 C.) Too cold to think. You need jumper cables to get the driver going.

-30 F. (-34.4 C.) You plan a two week hot bath. The Mighty Monongahela freezes. Swedish cars don't start.

-40 F. (-40 C.) Californians disappear. Minnesotans button top button. Canadians put on sweaters. Your car helps you plan your trip South.

-50 F. (-45.6 C.) Congressional hot air freezes. The Green Bay Packers practice indoors. Alaskans close the bathroom window.

-80 F. (-62.2 C.) Hell freezes over. Polar bears move south. Minnesotans look toward Wisconsin, thinking it MUST be warmer.
I got a good chuckle from a great many of these listed. Thanks for posting, tesral.

Webhead
12-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Original Author Unknown
Embellished by Many...

0 F. (-17.8 C.) Alaskans put on T-shirts. Too cold to skate...

That's about right. You didn't travel on surfaces angled greater than 10 from October to April. Too hazardous. Unless you were in a 4-wheeler with your tire chains on.

I've observed that my wife seems to have a temperature tolerance that ranges from 76 F (freezing) to 80 F (boiling). She's a native Texan. Being female doesn't help either. She can be complaining of chills while I'm sweating from the brow.

Windrider687
12-17-2008, 05:02 PM
15 F in the New England area; a few winters back we got wind chills -50 F...

If it's above 32 F, then it's t-shirt weather for me!

cplmac
12-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Original Author Unknown
Embellished by Many...

-30 F. (-34.4 C.) You plan a two week hot bath. The Mighty Monongahela freezes. Swedish cars don't start...

Now, I don't know if I am more impressed that tesral knows about the Monongahela river or that he could spell it? The next question is if he can pronounce it?

Monday it was 61 here. Tuesday it may have made it above 32 if it was lucky. This morning it was 44 at 4 AM when I got up to get ready for work, and 37 at 3 PM.

Etarnon
12-17-2008, 07:24 PM
it freezes at a lot warmer than 30 below.

I can't recall when it was last 30 below around here.

It was 16 degrees last week, that one day of the ice storm I think.

mrken
12-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Tesral, your post cracked me up, but the part where you had American cars not starting up at 5 degrees was off a bit. The day my thermometer said -20 my Caravan started right up. Course it took ten minutes to get to the first mark on my water temperature gauge.

And Webhead, my shivering missus is setting next to me with a sweater and a hoodie on and a blanket over her legs. lol I have a sweater on, unbuttoned.

tesral
12-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Tesral, your post cracked me up, but the part where you had American cars not starting up at 5 degrees was off a bit. The day my thermometer said -20 my Caravan started right up. Course it took ten minutes to get to the first mark on my water temperature gauge.

I didn't write it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-17-2008, 10:11 PM
It's 32 degrees with 100% humidity in So. Cal. It's snowing and sticking. We have about an inch right now. Hopefully, we'll get a few more inches before morning. Of course, i'm snowed in. Vettes have a pretty difficult time in snow. This was at 8:09pm.

tesral
12-17-2008, 10:14 PM
It's 32 degrees with 100% humidity in So. Cal. It's snowing and sticking. We have about an inch right now. Hopefully, we'll get a few more inches before morning. Of course, i'm snowed in. Vettes have a pretty difficult time in snow. This was at 8:09pm.

Excuse us while we Northern types laugh our heads off.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Excuse us while we Northern types laugh our heads off.
Well i'm happy to entertain you all. You may laugh elsewhere but out here they are referring to it as STORM WATCH 2008! :lol:

Etarnon
12-18-2008, 04:49 AM
I'm not laughing at you. Wrecking a 'Vette is a real bad career move.

Not quite like running a ship aground, or rules lawyers with a superiority complex crashing a campaign, but still.

tesral
12-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Well i'm happy to entertain you all. You may laugh elsewhere but out here they are referring to it as STORM WATCH 2008! :lol:

Around here "snowed in" happens around 12+ inches. When you can't move your car until the plow comes through.

mrken
12-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Thoth, you reminded me of my son a few weeks ago. We had like four or six inches on hte ground and my son turns to me and askes me if I am going to call him in to school. I asked what for. He says theres too much snow on the ground to drive to school. Now we live less than a mile to school. I had to laugh. As a kid living in South Dakota I used to walk over a mile to school, no matter how much snow was on the ground. Remember one time we got about four foot of snow and us kids trudged off to school only to find the school closed. We went downtown and had a snow day. We didn't know any better, it was just snow. lol Course that was the day I fell in the hole around the parking meter that was buried. That is a whole other story. ;)

GoddessGood
12-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Heh, my beau has designs on moving to Canada (something about political disconent, but I try not to listen to hard when he gets going ;) ), so when he found out that the windshield wiper fluid in my brand new car freezes when it hits 30, he was very put out. Muttered something about putting antifreeze in it :o

Today we had a dense fog at about 40 degrees. Made me wonder though, what exactly is a frozen fog? Having never experienced one, it's difficult to imagine.

tesral
12-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Course that was the day I fell in the hole around the parking meter that was buried. That is a whole other story. ;)

You have to watch our for those drift wells. They will get ya.

The wind does strange things to snow. I remember the time I came out into the parking lot of our townhouse to find that the lot was clear, except for the foot deep drift around every car. I went back in a called work, "might be late, I have to dig out." I shook my head and chucked all through digging out the back end of the drift so I could get my car out. It didn't touch the car, just a nice ridge all way around it.

That parking lot was good for strange drifts. Like the time we had two feet across the one drive out of the lot, but hardly anything in the lot proper. Everyone facing that lot had to wait for the plow to get out.

Some of those I really wish I could have taken pictures. I don't think people believed me.

cplmac
12-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Around here "snowed in" happens around 12+ inches. When you can't move your car until the plow comes through.

Even with a truck that can bog you down on a steep enough grade. Also, after the plow goes through you get to dig the end of the driveway open for the second time. This is due to the fact that the plow never comes until after you have shoveled the whole driveway open.

Thoth, you reminded me of my son a few weeks ago. We had like four or six inches on hte ground and my son turns to me and askes me if I am going to call him in to school. I asked what for. He says theres too much snow on the ground to drive to school. Now we live less than a mile to school. I had to laugh. As a kid living in South Dakota I used to walk over a mile to school, no matter how much snow was on the ground. Remember one time we got about four foot of snow and us kids trudged off to school only to find the school closed. We went downtown and had a snow day. We didn't know any better, it was just snow. lol Course that was the day I fell in the hole around the parking meter that was buried. That is a whole other story. ;)

mrken, you forgot the part about it being uphill both ways.:lol:

I can remember as a kid when we lived in a trailer that was in this little trailer court that was back a 3/4 mile long lane, since we lived in the one that was the furthest back. The lane could be piled up with a foot or more of snow, but all us kids had to trudge through it to get out to the main road where our bus stop was.

Another memory is the time that there was a big snow storm one night and when dad went to go shovel the sidewalk, he opened up the front door and was met by a solid wall of snow. At least it only was halfway up at the back door. That was one of the few times that they actually closed school because of the snow. Of course, my brothers and I figured that we would just go outside and play in it, until we got out there and dad had us help him dig clear the front door.

mrken
12-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Hey CplMac, we were snowed in once when we lived in South Dakota. Spent three days inside until one of our neighbors came by and dug a hole from the street to our house. Snow was up and over the roof in some places. when we stood on the pile of snow the bucket loader made we could see the house was covered except the two points on the house and the chimney was just barely above.

My mother told me when she was a kid in Minnesota she would go to school from her second story bedroom window when it snowed hard.

As for my school being uphill both ways, that was a misnomer, it was uphill for only half the way, then downhill for the rest of the way. Still, a mile in those days seemed like a long way. Now days I just stay indoors when the weather gets that bad. No sense in risking my life for a trip to 7/11.

MightySchoop
12-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah, We Michiganders don't even notice the snow until about 6-7 inches.

Then there's the other fun part -- when you can't move your car AFTER the plow comes through, because you have to get the two-foot pile of filthy wet compacted snow out of the end of your driveway.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-18-2008, 02:45 PM
I lived on the east coast for years and do know what it's really like to have deep snow. Folks out here on the left coast freak whenever there is a rain, or god forbid, a snow. Whenever there is a sprinkle, they call it stormwatch 200? Pretty hilarious, actually.

I do miss the snow and white winters, especially around the holidays. I even miss midnight football under a full moon. Eveything is so bright, the ball is easily seen. Oh, and lets not forget that snowy nights, or days for that matter, encourages plenty of snuggling with girlfriends. Of course, i try to get over it by going to the beach xmas day and go scuba diving. It's not really the same, but oh well.

tesral
12-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Yeah, We Michiganders don't even notice the snow until about 6-7 inches.

Then there's the other fun part -- when you can't move your car AFTER the plow comes through, because you have to get the two-foot pile of filthy wet compacted snow out of the end of your driveway.

:drum: Ain't that the honest truth.

Oh, and lets not forget that it encourages plenty of snuggling with girlfriends.

Girl snuggling cannot be overrated.

Webhead
12-18-2008, 03:11 PM
I've been exposed to 3 different extremes in holiday weather between years spent in Alaska, Hawaii and, most recently, Texas. While I have some nostalgia for knee-high galoshes, building snow forts and sledding down long hills, I've come to realize that I don't really miss the cold weather that much. Perhaps fun as a kid, but these days I find myself looking forward to clear skies and warm breezes.

Hawaii was perhaps the best climate for my sensibilities: 70-80 degrees all year, the occasional rainshower and plenty of starlight. Night skies in (my part of) Texas are pitifully sparse and muddy compared to what I am used to. If only Hawaii weren't such an economic sinkhole, I might actually consider going back. But I'm probably better off right where I am. As Norman Mailer wrote, "You can't go home again". It's probably true.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-18-2008, 03:31 PM
I've been exposed to 3 different extremes in holiday weather between years spent in Alaska, Hawaii and, most recently, Texas. While I have some nostalgia for knee-high galoshes, building snow forts and sledding down long hills, I've come to realize that I don't really miss the cold weather that much. Perhaps fun as a kid, but these days I find myself looking forward to clear skies and warm breezes.

Hawaii was perhaps the best climate for my sensibilities: 70-80 degrees all year, the occasional rainshower and plenty of starlight. Night skies in (my part of) Texas are pitifully sparse and muddy compared to what I am used to. If only Hawaii weren't such an economic sinkhole, I might actually consider going back. But I'm probably better off right where I am. As Norman Mailer wrote, "You can't go home again". It's probably true.
I always wanted to move to Alaska, or live in Corpus Christi, or even Hawaii. Just seems that the area's i just mentioned leave a bit to be desired, economically, anyway.

Looks as though i will be moving to the Bay Area in a week or so. Oh sure, it has its economic shortfalls, but compared to So Cal, it's thriving. :rolleyes:

Mirina
12-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Well, as of right now, it is 28 degrees outside in Seattle. And it is SNOWING. For the second time in less than a week no less. And yes, people are losing their minds here; they can't figure out what the heck is falling from the sky. The city and most major metro areas around it are shut down, and people are enjoying a snow day. Though those that chose to or had to go to work today gave rise to a news story such as this one:

http://www.komonews.com/news/36371689.html

Personally, I find it kind of funny. People are flipping out over a few inches, and while it is still snowing, it's not coming down very hard. I remember winters and snowstorms much harder than this one when I lived in Montreal. But I'll take my snow any way I can. :biggrin:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Well, as of right now, it is 28 degrees outside in Seattle. And it is SNOWING. For the second time in less than a week no less. And yes, people are losing their minds here; they can't figure out what the heck is falling from the sky. The city and most major metro areas around it are shut down, and people are enjoying a snow day. Though those that chose to or had to go to work today gave rise to a news story such as this one:

http://www.komonews.com/news/36371689.html

Personally, I find it kind of funny. People are flipping out over a few inches, and while it is still snowing, it's not coming down very hard. I remember winters and snowstorms much harder than this one when I lived in Montreal. But I'll take my snow any way I can. :biggrin:
Seems Seattle has had some interesting storms in the last couple of years. Makes me kinda wish i was up there. Beautiful place, all in all. Enjoy the snow while you have it, but it sounds as though you already have a good attitude about it.

tesral
12-18-2008, 05:07 PM
The Ice Age is coming!!!!

Grimwell
12-18-2008, 09:18 PM
LOL -- what happened to "Oh no, global warming!!!" ;)

I live in a little more So-SoCal than Thoth-Amon (what, 30 miles further south?) and learned to drive in Michigan. In the winter.

My car pool was worried about the reports of snow last night. They said if it snowed we wouldn't go to work. Bear in mind that my boss is in the car pool, and we all work at the same place. I laughed at him and said I'd give everyone door to door service if we managed to get snow.

We didn't. All the mountains around us are beautiful though. What these people consider weather cracks me up. I scare everyone on rainy days because I don't slow down a bit. Hydroplaning for the win!

It's been nice though, going out to work and needing a jacket since it's in the 40's. Been missing that. Not missing the snow shovel!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-18-2008, 11:04 PM
LOL -- what happened to "Oh no, global warming!!!" ;)

I live in a little more So-SoCal than Thoth-Amon (what, 30 miles further south?) and learned to drive in Michigan. In the winter.

My car pool was worried about the reports of snow last night. They said if it snowed we wouldn't go to work. Bear in mind that my boss is in the car pool, and we all work at the same place. I laughed at him and said I'd give everyone door to door service if we managed to get snow.

We didn't. All the mountains around us are beautiful though. What these people consider weather cracks me up. I scare everyone on rainy days because I don't slow down a bit. Hydroplaning for the win!

It's been nice though, going out to work and needing a jacket since it's in the 40's. Been missing that. Not missing the snow shovel!
I've lived in So Cal quite a few years now and it still entertains me the looks of fright and fear on fellow passengers that, in their horror, see raindrops and or snow on their windshields while driving our already overlycrowded freeways and backroads.

he he he. <Thoth laughs evil'ly>

tesral
12-19-2008, 12:31 AM
Looks like it's our turn to get dumped on. Ready the snow blower +2 and salt of melting.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-19-2008, 01:10 AM
Looks like it's our turn to get dumped on. Ready the snow blower +2 and salt of melting.
Be sure to cast the spell "corrosive protection" to the underbellies of your cars, tesral. :cool:

tesral
12-19-2008, 01:59 AM
Be sure to cast the spell "corrosive protection" to the underbellies of your cars, tesral. :cool:

Many long years ago. Ten years old and very little rust.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-19-2008, 02:34 AM
Many long years ago. Ten years old and very little rust.
Sounds like your permancy spell is weakening, tesral. Perhaps you should recast at your epic level, i'm sure the spell will be good for the life of your cars, this time.

tesral
12-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Sounds like your permancy spell is weakening, tesral. Perhaps you should recast at your epic level, i'm sure the spell will be good for the life of your cars, this time.

Body is lasting well. The car is piling on mileage.

White stuff is falling down. Our turn to get buried.

Skunkape
12-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Well, you guys can keep that white stuff that falls from the sky when it gets cold. My parents moved to Florida by the time I was 3 and while I've been in the snow when I was 17, I can say I prefer the 60+ degree weather we usually have here in the south!

I've driven on frozen roads before, with black ice and such and much prefer driving in the rain! I've even ridden my motorcycle in the pouring rain, which isn't too bad with or without rain gear. Course, we usually get our rain in the summer, so the temperature that you're riding in doesn't turn you into a Popsicle!:D

I've considered Hawaii, but I'm not really into the economy there so I'll just stay in Florida.

Those of you in the colder northern states stay safe.:D

GoddessGood
12-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Girl snuggling cannot be overrated.
As a girl, I second that motion.

It's up in the 60's, but it feels like 70's anymore since the cold snap. I used to be the kind of person where if it was below 75 I was shivering, even in long clothing and a coat. God forbid it get into the 60's. I walked out in 45 degree weather a few days ago to find my sister smoking a cigarette on the back porch with her teeth chattering and say "What? It's not that cold." :) Ahh, perspective.

tesral
12-19-2008, 09:34 AM
I think I'll see if I can get that snowblower started.

Windrider687
12-19-2008, 10:18 AM
So far this storm has been an epic dud...we were supposed to get snow starting at 10:00 A.M...it's 11:18...

cplmac
12-19-2008, 11:14 AM
The Ice Age is coming!!!!

LOL -- what happened to "Oh no, global warming!!!" ;)...

Grim you beat me to it and took the words out of my mouth.

Well, you guys can keep that white stuff that falls from the sky when it gets cold. My parents moved to Florida by the time I was 3 and while I've been in the snow when I was 17, I can say I prefer the 60+ degree weather we usually have here in the south!...

Are you sure, skunkape? We can always bring you a load of snow down in the back of the truck for nostalgia sake.

So far this storm has been an epic dud...we were supposed to get snow starting at 10:00 A.M...it's 11:18...

Exactly! We were under a Winter Weather Advisory. Supposed to get freezing rain and sleet over night. Woke up to 42 degrees and nothing but rain. I am trying to figure out how to get a job as a meteorologist, that way I can be wrong most of if not all of the time, not get in trouble for it, and get paid a lot more than I do now.:confused:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Well, you guys can keep that white stuff that falls from the sky when it gets cold. My parents moved to Florida by the time I was 3 and while I've been in the snow when I was 17, I can say I prefer the 60+ degree weather we usually have here in the south!

I've driven on frozen roads before, with black ice and such and much prefer driving in the rain! I've even ridden my motorcycle in the pouring rain, which isn't too bad with or without rain gear. Course, we usually get our rain in the summer, so the temperature that you're riding in doesn't turn you into a Popsicle!:D

I've considered Hawaii, but I'm not really into the economy there so I'll just stay in Florida.

Those of you in the colder northern states stay safe.:D
How's the economy compared to Florida? I mean, is Florida's economy much better?

Skunkape
12-19-2008, 11:30 PM
How's the economy compared to Florida? I mean, is Florida's economy much better?

I think for the most part, the economy stinks pretty much all over. I've seen this coming for some time now, so I'm not really surprised. Not that I'm some kind of medium or prophet, but especially with our housing price boom that we went through a little over a year ago, I could tell things were going to end up down turning eventually.

The company I work for just cut 6% of our work force. Fortunately for me, the group I'm in was not at risk for the cuts, internet technologies is still a great place to be currently, even with the dot com downturn! Oh and the company is for sale, so we could all be out of a job, but with the bad economy, I think we'll be for sale for a while!

I'm sure it's worst some place and better other places, but currently my wife and I are both working and we're managing. The best news is that the value of my house has not dropped like others in the county, so I'm fortunate there. So things could be a whole lot worst!

:focus:

Are you sure, skunkape? We can always bring you a load of snow down in the back of the truck for nostalgia sake.

I wouldn't want to put you out!:D

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
12-20-2008, 12:41 AM
I chipped a tooth on my coffee this morning, if that counts. ;)

I did that once! when I was drunk

Sascha
12-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Two penguins are sitting on an iceberg. One turns to the other and says, "You know, you look like you're wearing a tuxedo." And the other replies, "What makes you think I'm not?"

A penguin walks into a bar and asks the bartender, "Hey, did my father come in here recently?" The bartender responds, "I don't know; what's he look like?"

tesral
12-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Two penguins are sitting on an iceberg. One turns to the other and says, "You know, you look like you're wearing a tuxedo." And the other replies, "What makes you think I'm not?"

A penguin walks into a bar and asks the bartender, "Hey, did my father come in here recently?" The bartender responds, "I don't know; what's he look like?"

Madagasgar (The movie) the four Penguins are sitting on an ice floe with the bulk of the ship beside them. The wind is blowing, the snow is flying. "This sucks."

Dearborn got 6 to 8 inches. We are dug out.

Windrider687
12-20-2008, 10:06 PM
...yeah the snow finally came later on Friday; got about 6 to 8 here - supposedly we're getting 4 - 6 more Sunday...trusting meteorologists is about as smart as playing Russian Roulette with a fully-loaded automatic, though...

tesral
12-20-2008, 10:11 PM
...yeah the snow finally came later on Friday; got about 6 to 8 here - supposedly we're getting 4 - 6 more Sunday...trusting meteorologists is about as smart as playing Russian Roulette with a fully-loaded automatic, though...

I didn't even miss Friday gaming. A 70 mile round trip.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Tonight Portland, OR is a winter wonderland. Ahh Beautiful.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Compared to So Cal, living in the Bay Area will be a nice change, for i love weather, storms, etc. I envy the rest of you for i do miss the really wicked storms, and great snows. I always will.

hueloovoo
12-21-2008, 12:10 PM
I third tesral and Goddess' motion about the cold. Unfortunately my spouse is not much of a cuddler, and enjoys the cold. So, I sit in 3 layers of clothing, huddled under a blanket at the computer, while she sleeps in a nightshirt, kicking off the sheet covering her.

It's 6 below here in Kansas City, according to her. I'm afraid to check if it's gotten any colder.

cplmac
12-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Alright, it has now gotten really cold and windy here. Some how I have the suspicion that both Farcaster and tesral have set up giant fans where they're at and are blowing it directly at PA. They need to point those fans back towards Canada.

RealmsDM
12-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Cold & slushy here in NYC.

Go Giants!

tesral
12-22-2008, 12:00 AM
4 degrees, it's warmed up from earlier today.

akela122301
12-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Well, hate to sound like a whiner, but its 19 degrees here by DC, and I HATE it!!!.
I am from San Antonio, TX. I can wear a jacket and long-sleeved shirt while it's 100+, with 100% humidity, and not break a sweat. But put me in cold weather, and I crumple like a wet paper sack.
In gamer terms, I have immunity to hot environments :rockon:
and vulnerability to cold environments :hurt:

tesral
12-22-2008, 02:48 AM
Well, hate to sound like a whiner, but its 19 degrees here by DC, and I HATE it!!!.
I am from San Antonio, TX. I can wear a jacket and long-sleeved shirt while it's 100+, with 100% humidity, and not break a sweat. But put me in cold weather, and I crumple like a wet paper sack.
In gamer terms, I have immunity to hot environments
and vulnerability to cold environments

At 19 degrees most wet paper sacks freeze. I look for a sweater.

Freejack
12-22-2008, 11:36 AM
5 degrees this morning and I rode my motorcycle to work. Nice brisk morning :D

Carl

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Current 49 degrees with showers a-coming. Thoth quickly casts haste to avoid snowballs being hurled at his person. :bolt:

hueloovoo
12-22-2008, 12:42 PM
One degree this morning. *wail and moan*

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-22-2008, 12:48 PM
I actually miss Virginia weather, friends, and location. :( Right now it's 25 degrees and probably snow-laden. :)

Freejack
12-22-2008, 02:56 PM
I actually miss Virginia weather, friends, and location. :( Right now it's 25 degrees and probably snow-laden. :)

Nah, don't miss Virginia at all. Lived there 30 or so years and am glad to be gone. Much happier in Colorado.

Carl

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Nah, don't miss Virginia at all. Lived there 30 or so years and am glad to be gone. Much happier in Colorado.

Carl
I loved it in that i was lucky enough to make some really great friends, as well as amassed so many wonderful memories. I loved the climate and the weather. This being said, i'd love to live in Colorado and wouldnt hesitate to do so if ever offered a job in said state.

hueloovoo
12-22-2008, 08:20 PM
I wanna go visit Colorado, I went to Colorado Springs once and I loved it. Now I wanna go see Trinidad for a few weeks though.

mrken
12-22-2008, 08:44 PM
You folks are so right about Colorado being the best compromise in weather. I have been to 48 of the 50 states and Colorado was the best I found. Yes, we can get cold and we can get hot, but, generally we are very temperate here in the Denver metro area. Can't say the same down in Pueblo or up by the Wyoming border, and certainly not up in the mountains. Still at least 300 days of sun can't be all that bad. :)

Chi
12-22-2008, 09:01 PM
too too cold I just want to get into bed and stay there until summer!!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-23-2008, 01:08 AM
You folks are so right about Colorado being the best compromise in weather. I have been to 48 of the 50 states and Colorado was the best I found. Yes, we can get cold and we can get hot, but, generally we are very temperate here in the Denver metro area. Can't say the same down in Pueblo or up by the Wyoming border, and certainly not up in the mountains. Still at least 300 days of sun can't be all that bad. :)
Damn mrkin! You beat me by one state. I've been to 47 in my life , 46 by :car: and half by :plane:.

Soft Serve
12-23-2008, 01:44 AM
At least you were all ready for your weather...I went from Indiana's strange early october feeling weather to Pennsylvania's mid-january fun in a two hour flight. I got off the plane in shorts and an overshirt and snow hit me in the face only to spiral off into the airstrip. :mad:

At least it's beautiful...There are abandonded buildings all over the place here and the way snow spins off the broken roof in front of shattered windows into the street where it flows like desert sand over concrete is amazing...all up until a snow plow pushes it to the side where it lays frozen condemned to melt...

Etarnon
12-23-2008, 04:18 AM
At least it's beautiful...There are abandonded buildings all over the place here and the way snow spins off the broken roof in front of shattered windows into the street where it flows like desert sand over concrete is amazing...all up until a snow plow pushes it to the side where it lays frozen condemned to melt...

You have a writing career ahead of you.

Soft Serve
12-23-2008, 06:04 AM
haha, thank you. It's good when your GMing.

hueloovoo
12-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I love writing, but I'm not sure I'm good GM material yet. I still have trouble creating decent conflict.

wbrandel
12-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Right now it is 21 F in Jefferson WI, and in my home of Dallas it is 56 F. Since that is I believe accurate, why am I in Jefferson WI?

Grimwell
12-24-2008, 10:29 AM
It's 38F here in Menifee, CA. Brrrr. :)

I might even put on a jacket when I go to the store today.