PDA

View Full Version : What are you hoping to be under your tree?

mrken
12-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Ok, I know everyone around here has been very good this year and Santa is happy with each and every one of us. So happy in fact he is willing to bend his age restrictions on free home deliveries next week.

So, what is it that you are hoping for to be under your tree? Hopefully it is something you are hoping for rather than having to pick up and wrap yourself. Is there something that you would buy yourself but just can't bring yourself to get up off your wallet to make the purchase for whatever reason?

Since I got back into GM'ing again I have dropped more than a couple of hundred into minis so perhaps I haven't been all that good, but! If your sweetie is thinking like I am thinking (hey, it has happened a couple of times) she will send for the case of minis from WotC that I have not bought. lol Yeah, more minis. lol

Now your turn. What are you hoping Santa will bring you that will not fit into your stocking?

Webhead
12-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Well, there is something specific that I really want to find under the tree on Christmas morning, but it is both extremely unlikely and probably not appropriate for the discussion you were intending... ;)

On the gaming angle though, I'm hoping for one or more of the following:

Deadlands Reloaded core book
Arkham Horror board game
Fallout 3 (for PC)

Truth be told, whatever I get will be fine with me. My wife has good taste and knows what I like, so I'm not worried about it.

One of my friends from the game group already gave me my Christmas gift early. The super-sized Munchkin d10. :D

Farcaster
12-16-2008, 07:21 PM
To be honest, I'm hoping for some sweaters. It's FRIGGEN cold here in Washington lately.

RealmsDM
12-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Since I'm holding the torch for 3.5 D&D, I'd like to take a gander at Pathfinder.

I'd also like some Dragon & Dungeon back issues.

cplmac
12-16-2008, 11:15 PM
To be honest, I'm hoping for some sweaters. It's FRIGGEN cold here in Washington lately.

I hear ya boss! At the moment it is the same over here in PA too. Unfortunately, it can't make up its mind if it wants to be cold or warm here.

:smow::rain:

Yesterday it was up to 61 degrees. Today it hasn't got much over 32 degrees. Hmm, wondering if Santa can bring weather that ranges between 50 and 75 degrees all year round. We've got lots of trees on the 6 and a half acres here for him to put it under.

tesral
12-17-2008, 01:56 AM
I am Santa.

fmitchell
12-17-2008, 03:42 AM
Honestly I have so many unread rulebooks it's not funny, and I don't need or want any other gaming supplies.

If Santa could spare a few elves to finish a Players' Pack for a game I'd like to start January, I'd be much obliged.

GoddessGood
12-17-2008, 10:00 AM
There are a couple more exalted books I don't have :D But I already know santa is getting me a sewing machine for christmas, and that's fine by me.

tesral
12-17-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm dreading of a white Christmas.....

I'm with fmitchell here, slip me a few elves to get some of the world done around the house.

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
12-17-2008, 02:19 PM
I cant afford a tree or any of the requisite garnishes.

but if i was a christian and had a tree I would want to have an
interest-free loan sitting underneath it on christmas morn;)

I would scamper over in my pajamas, full of anticipation, and shriek with delight! Oh its just what I wanted, mater et pater, oh oh oh!
oh its ever so delightful! Oh im so dreadfully happy

an interest free loan!

Webhead
12-17-2008, 04:49 PM
...an interest free loan!

Wily and elusive, but much prized. Yeah...I could use one or two of those myself... :pout:

cplmac
12-17-2008, 05:50 PM
I am Santa.

Why is it that this news does not surprise me? Ho! Ho! Ho!

Maybe I will add a new clothes dryer to the wish list. Ours decided to buy the farm. Guess it was due anytime, since the thing was over 17 years old.

Windrider687
12-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I could use one of those interest-free loans, myself; or maybe just a grant...or a magically growing money-tree...yeah, I want to be an arborist all of a sudden...

...though I think I'm on the same page as Webhead, there's something (or things even :p) that I would want, but not sure it's relevant to this conversation...and I don't think they'd like to wait under the tree all night until I get up :p

Webhead
12-17-2008, 09:01 PM
...though I think I'm on the same page as Webhead, there's something (or things even :p) that I would want, but not sure it's relevant to this conversation...and I don't think they'd like to wait under the tree all night until I get up :p

They don't have to wait all night, just get up a little early and wait for the sound of you rustling out of bed. Yeah, it's a nice dream but somehow I don't think it would happen anytime soon...what with the kids in the house and all... ;)

mrken
12-17-2008, 09:38 PM
I cant afford a tree or any of the requisite garnishes.

but if i was a christian and had a tree I would want to have an
interest-free loan sitting underneath it on christmas morn;)

I would scamper over in my pajamas, full of anticipation, and shriek with delight! Oh its just what I wanted, mater et pater, oh oh oh!
oh its ever so delightful! Oh im so dreadfully happy

an interest free loan!

Hey Nerd, you hear that the Feds cut the prime down to 0 to .25%? There you go!

12-18-2008, 12:33 AM
Yeah, I could use one of those interest-free loans, myself; or maybe just a grant...or a magically growing money-tree...yeah, I want to be an arborist all of a sudden...

A Grant !! what a great idea!

I will write a proposal for NSF grant money to fund my ongoing experiments in human suffering;)
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Hey Nerd, you hear that the Feds cut the prime down to 0 to .25%? There you go!

hmmm....

If I reorganize myself as a bank, which is hard to do with contemporary laws, I may be able to get interest free loans from the federal reserve..

If I can make my house a church, I wont need to pay property taxes.

If I declare myself to be a corporation, I can pay almost no capital gains tax or income tax.

If I say that I am married and have a large familiy of financial dependents, I can get a tax cut.

but how??

Webhead
12-18-2008, 01:21 AM
hmmm....

If I reorganize myself as a bank, which is hard to do with contemporary laws, I may be able to get interest free loans from the federal reserve..

If I can make my house a church, I wont need to pay property taxes.

If I declare myself to be a corporation, I can pay almost no capital gains tax or income tax.

If I say that I am married and have a large familiy of financial dependents, I can get a tax cut.

but how??

Become the "First National Family-Owned Bank of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Inc."? :noidea:

That's almost sounding like my prediction about the Wal-Mart/Starbucks/McDonald's merger...reformed corporate identity: McWal-Bucks.

Welcome to the McFutureš! :hail:

12-18-2008, 03:35 AM
Become the "First National Family-Owned Bank of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Inc."? :noidea:

In this country, I'm sure mine would be the Second such bank.

Or third, but idk. ive never been to Utah.

:lol::biggrin::D:p

GoddessGood
12-18-2008, 10:59 AM
This reminds me of my Mormon friend who had designs to rule the world. Then my former Catholic friend turns to him and says, deadpan, "You can't really ever rule the whole world. You'll have to tithe ten percent to the church."

Etarnon
12-19-2008, 05:24 AM
I'm not hoping for anything, other than yet another sun rise.

cplmac
12-19-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm not hoping for anything, other than yet another sun rise.

Fully understandable with what your family is going through at this time. Hope things are still going well.

Etarnon
12-19-2008, 01:52 PM
MUCHO GRACIAS.

The mom in law gets a transfusion this morning.

Webhead
12-19-2008, 03:40 PM
MUCHO GRACIAS.

Though I am not aware of the specific details of your family's current hardships, I wish you all the very best in enduring any challenges that you face...past, present or future.

12-20-2008, 01:18 AM
MUCHO GRACIAS.

Although I too am unaware of the details of your hardships and struggles, I wish you the very best for you and your loved ones. I hope all goes well, whatever has happened or whatever betides.

Chi
12-22-2008, 10:08 PM
I am Santa.
ME TOO!!!! But really, Santa all I really want even if it is the only thing I get is a laptop! PLEASE!!

tesral
12-22-2008, 11:27 PM
ME TOO!!!! But really, Santa all I really want even if it is the only thing I get is a laptop! PLEASE!!

I guess I got my presents earlier this year. My wife (The world's most wonderful woman) replaced not just my laptop, but my desktop and my color laser printer.

hueloovoo
12-23-2008, 12:18 AM
Dear Santa:

I've been a very good girl this year (and when I wasn't, I was at least good at it!). I want a dual-core T9300 processor for my laptop, and some better heat transfer paste too. Also, I want a gaming group close by, and all the necessary books to play, the ones I don't already have. And a trip to Trinidad, Colorado for some work. That's not too much is it Santa?

With cookies and milk,
--Angie

Soft Serve
12-23-2008, 02:56 AM
I hear ya boss! At the moment it is the same over here in PA too. Unfortunately, it can't make up its mind if it wants to be cold or warm here.

:smow::rain:

Yesterday it was up to 61 degrees. Today it hasn't got much over 32 degrees. Hmm, wondering if Santa can bring weather that ranges between 50 and 75 degrees all year round. We've got lots of trees on the 6 and a half acres here for him to put it under.

Dude 11 miles away and I completely feel your pain...

Go online and look up The Universal Life Church. Give them a name and an address and you can become a priest or reverend or I forget whatelse...

Anyway I have the certificate hanging on my wall...:laugh:

:focus:

I'd take a camera to record my winter antics with...

fmitchell
12-23-2008, 03:34 AM
Dear Hogfather,

I've been a really good, well mostly good, well not so bad boy this year. For Hogswatch please bring me a genuine Sigmarite Witch Hunter Kit with Real Firelighting Action, a TARDIS (pre-owned is fine), and a brace of elves to help around the house, including the "very special" elf with the specifications I sent separately in a plain brown wrapper.

Sincerely,
Frank

Webhead
12-23-2008, 02:41 PM
...I've been a really good, well mostly good, well not so bad boy this year...

Mal: "Mercy is the mark of a great man!"

*Stab*

Mal: "Guess I'm just a good man."

*Stab*

Mal: "Well...I'm alright."

hueloovoo
12-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Hehehe, Firefly/Serenity quotes = win.

Webhead
12-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Hehehe, Firefly/Serenity quotes = win.

Yes! I win! It's about time!

I'd like to thank the Academy...

:first:

Jayne: "I got a share in this job! Ten percent of nothing! Let me do the math here!..."

-----

Wash: "We need to go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"

Grimwell
12-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Dear Santa,

While you are putting stuff for the kids under the tree, if it's at all possible... please put a 5th of just about anything under there for me. My neck and back really hurt this week and some 'medicine' would go a long way toward making it easier to sleep.

Panthro82
07-09-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm still waiting for Jessica Alba to be there.....Maybe next year :(

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!! :)

Soft Serve
07-10-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm still waiting for Jessica Alba to be there.....Maybe next year :(

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!! :)

Thread resurections are just fireing up all over P&PG this week.

Panthro82
07-10-2009, 12:21 PM
yea I'm building my undead thread army! Plus I figured this thread is very topical right now. Christmas in JULY!!! :)

tesral
07-10-2009, 12:26 PM
yea I'm building my undead thread army! Plus I figured this thread is very topical right now. Christmas in JULY!!! :)

Sears and K-mart and putting out the Christmas stuff. I kid you not.

Panthro82
07-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Yea retail tends to forgo the thanksgiving holiday entirely. Although they usually set up for Halloween so it is a little surprising that they are putting Christmas stuff out. Especially to me I procrastinate so bad when it comes to Christmas!

Soft Serve
07-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Just for you. They put those decorations out just for you.

Panthro82
07-10-2009, 10:13 PM
they put them up this early and then i think to myself, "oh i have a ton of time!" then December 23rd rolls around and I'm like, "yea. I should start Christmas shopping today"

tesral
07-10-2009, 11:09 PM
LA LA LA LA LA!!!

(Fingers in ears.)

Panthro82
07-10-2009, 11:48 PM
you know you're a redneck if you still have your Christmas decorations up in July.

tesral
07-11-2009, 12:59 AM
you know you're a redneck if you still have your Christmas decorations up in July.

What about those that put them up in July?

Panthro82
07-11-2009, 01:09 AM
im guessing they need a hobby...like rpg's :)

tesral
07-11-2009, 12:57 PM
im guessing they need a hobby...like rpg's :)

And they don't sell any. Well I'm not going into any Sears or K-mart any time soon.

(Have I mentioned I don't like laptop keyboards?)

Panthro82
07-11-2009, 01:45 PM
only thing I don't like about laptop keyboards is the scroll. The mouse is superior. They need to work on that.

Soft Serve
07-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Laptop keyboards are pretty terrible.

Why I usually plug ina USB keyboard and mouse and just use the laptop screen.

We should design a laptop that would be a bit thick, but the keyboard could be removed from the base of it. The same with an actual mouse. I would buy it...except it would run Vista....

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Agreed. My laptop keyboard does bug me. It's like an itch i can't scratch.

tesral
07-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Too small.

My T-61 Thinklpad came with Suse Linux Enterprise Edition, no windows, no Vista ,and a 100 bucks less because of it

It still has a small keyboard.

Panthro82
07-12-2009, 05:40 PM
yea that's why laptops will never fully win out over home PC's. call it a draw? :)

tesral
07-12-2009, 09:37 PM
yea that's why laptops will never fully win out over home PC's. call it a draw? :)

That is why I only use it outside of the house. I'm typing this on a nice full size ergonomic keyboard.

Panthro82
07-12-2009, 09:48 PM
well the same companies that make home PC's make laptops so I imagine they have no desire to make home PC's obsolete :)

tesral
07-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Simple, if I have a portable PC that had a monitor the size of mine and a keyboard like this one it would not be that portable. You are sacrificing things to get them small and portable.

I do note that many people have only a laptop, they do not have a second computer.

Soft Serve
07-13-2009, 02:06 AM
Simple, if I have a portable PC that had a monitor the size of mine and a keyboard like this one it would not be that portable. You are sacrificing things to get them small and portable.

I do note that many people have only a laptop, they do not have a second computer.

My dad has 3 PC's and 4 Laptops...

Panthro82
07-13-2009, 02:59 AM

that's like my mom and her boyfriend. They have like 3 PC's and 2 laptops. It's ridiculous.

tesral
07-13-2009, 08:10 AM

I said "many" not "all". I'm a bit of a computer nerd myself. 2 laptops (I had three until I gave one away), and some dozen desktop computers I could plug in and would work. Some of them quite old. I have a working Amiga 1000 from 1986 for example.

I currently find myself in the position of having too many LCD monitors, including one I can't seem to give away. Anyone need an 800x600 15" monitor?

Soft Serve
07-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I said "many" not "all". I'm a bit of a computer nerd myself. 2 laptops (I had three until I gave one away), and some dozen desktop computers I could plug in and would work. Some of them quite old. I have a working Amiga 1000 from 1986 for example.

I currently find myself in the position of having too many LCD monitors, including one I can't seem to give away. Anyone need an 800x600 15" monitor?

No but I'll take it.

Panthro82
07-13-2009, 01:01 PM
After just seeing her again on TV. I still want Jessica Alba under my tree this coming up Christmas. Really really really really bad.

tesral
07-13-2009, 02:58 PM
No but I'll take it.

Drive to Dearborn and it's yours.

Panthro82
07-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Drive to Dearborn and it's yours.

who Jessica Alba? :)

tesral
07-13-2009, 11:21 PM
who Jessica Alba? :)

Not mine to give, besides, I'm selfish. If I had a Jessica Alba I would be keeping her.

Soft Serve wondered about that monitor.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-13-2009, 11:39 PM
She's the one with the great bum.

kantou
07-14-2009, 12:09 AM
something that is unknown to me but there....

Panthro82
07-14-2009, 05:16 AM
Shes the one with the great everything Thoth. She is absolutely perfect...

Razmus
07-14-2009, 10:28 AM
That is why I only use it outside of the house. I'm typing this on a nice full size ergonomic keyboard.

*shrug* I have nice docking stations for two of my laptops. When docked, I have a full sized keyboard, mouse, and dual screens... but can run off with either laptop if I need it somewhere else. (And can wander down to the coffee shop and work down there on the wireless network.)

kantou
07-14-2009, 11:25 AM
the one and only beauty in the eye of ayla.

tesral
07-14-2009, 11:46 AM
*shrug* I have nice docking stations for two of my laptops. When docked, I have a full sized keyboard, mouse, and dual screens... but can run off with either laptop if I need it somewhere else. (And can wander down to the coffee shop and work down there on the wireless network.)

Networking is your friend. It is easy enough to sync the two systems, or even to use remote desktop so I have access to my home computer from anywhere. I have cat 5 running through the house and a wireless point as well.

kantou
07-14-2009, 12:40 PM
fortune beyond belief to the naked eye..

Panthro82
07-14-2009, 02:53 PM
I was thinking about how many people are posting on this thread and started to realize that there are a lot of dead, truly disgusting trees still up from Christmas in the gaming community. :)

tesral
07-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Artificial. As much as we like the real tree I'm no longer able to help get it and my wife breaks out from touching them.

Real tree, the smell of cookies baking and the old Crooner himself singing "White Christmas". Fast in a warm house while snow gently falls in silent beauty.

Panthro82
07-14-2009, 09:56 PM
yea most people opt for the artificial trees now. Much easier to clean up after as well. :)

Sascha
07-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Shes the one with the great everything Thoth. She is absolutely perfect...
Almost; she fails the "being Maggie Gyllenhaal" test.

Real tree, the smell of cookies baking and the old Crooner himself singing "White Christmas". Fast in a warm house while snow gently falls in silent beauty.
Yes~ (Though replace "the old Crooner" with "the King" and "White" with "Blue" for this version ;))

Panthro82
07-15-2009, 01:54 AM
Maggie is beautiful but I would take Alba any day of the week. Hard to believe she was the little girl on Flipper!

Skunkape
07-15-2009, 07:36 AM
yea most people opt for the artificial trees now. Much easier to clean up after as well. :)

Yes, cleaning up cat yacked up needles isn't one of my fun past times! I've found that cats don't seem to be as interested in eating artificial needles as they are real ones. For that same reason, I stopped putting tinsel on my tree as well!

Oldgamer
07-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Yes, cleaning up cat yacked up needles isn't one of my fun past times! I've found that cats don't seem to be as interested in eating artificial needles as they are real ones. For that same reason, I stopped putting tinsel on my tree as well!

We use real trees every year, can't beat the smell of real pine. We also stopped putting the tinsel on the lower 2' of the tree so the cat vomit is less ... certainly not gone, but less.

emblasochist
07-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Funny. My tuxedo has never tried eating the tinsel nor the needles. He's just not that curious a cat.

Oldgamer
07-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Funny. My tuxedo has never tried eating the tinsel nor the needles. He's just not that curious a cat.

I'm assuming we're not talking about a hungry suit? :biggrin: <jk> I can't keep mine out of it, even though I leave the tinsel 2' above ground, they stand up to get it or climb the tree from the inside trying to get it. we end up with a lot of bulbs on the floor, usually 3-4 a night that need to be put back up.

emblasochist
07-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah. Tuxedo is a breed. Looks black and white in the shape of a black back, a white chest and black paws and face. Called tuxedos because if skinned, the skin of the cat is reminiscent of a tuxedo.

Soft Serve
07-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah. Tuxedo is a breed. Looks black and white in the shape of a black back, a white chest and black paws and face. Called tuxedos because if skinned, the skin of the cat is reminiscent of a tuxedo.

I think that might be the most horrifying thing I've ever heard happen to a kitty.

Oldgamer
07-15-2009, 02:06 PM
I think that might be the most horrifying thing I've ever heard happen to a kitty.

I don't know, my father and his father hated cats. And coming from a farming family in Ohio, they had a lot of feral cats that they would dispose of in painful and cruel means. Tie two of their tails together by a shoestring and toss them over a clothes line and let them kill each other ... put kittens into a trash bag with small holes, tie it closed and toss them into the creek ... many many methods for those out there that hate cats. Plus the old saying, "You couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting blah-blah" I guess I'm making up for my family's cruelty, all of my cats I've ever had besides 3 have been 'street cases', found them and took them in. Out of those 3 that weren't, 2 were show Persians purchased by my wife, and the other was bought by my wife when one of my old cats in 96 died.

Soft Serve
07-15-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't know, my father and his father hated cats. And coming from a farming family in Ohio, they had a lot of feral cats that they would dispose of in painful and cruel means. Tie two of their tails together by a shoestring and toss them over a clothes line and let them kill each other ... put kittens into a trash bag with small holes, tie it closed and toss them into the creek ... many many methods for those out there that hate cats. Plus the old saying, "You couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting blah-blah" I guess I'm making up for my family's cruelty, all of my cats I've ever had besides 3 have been 'street cases', found them and took them in. Out of those 3 that weren't, 2 were show Persians purchased by my wife, and the other was bought by my wife when one of my old cats in 96 died.

WOW....

...those are good ideas.

emblasochist
07-15-2009, 03:12 PM
I've always heard of non-cat people putting them in burlap bags with heavy rocks and tying the bag shut and tossing them into a river. It would probably be considered animal cruelty now, but it wasn't unacceptable at the time... Another thing I've heard of being done was someone put their LIVE cat in a microwave and turned it on for 5 minutes. When I read about what happened to the cat at what times, I was terribly sickened that someone could be so gleeful about the murder of animals. Worse than that, the guy's ONLY regret was that the cat's death ruined his microwave. And I know that it sounds cruel about how I described why a tuxedo is called such, but that IS the reason why. People skinned cats at one point and someone said hey, that looks like a tuxedo...

And now that I've ruined your day, I'd like to point out that its people like him that make me like animals of all kinds more than people. Animals don't do that shit, and they don't have that sadistic glee that so many humans are capable of.

Sascha
07-15-2009, 03:39 PM
And now that I've ruined your day, I'd like to point out that its people like him that make me like animals of all kinds more than people. Animals don't do that shit, and they don't have that sadistic glee that so many humans are capable of.
There are examples of non-human animals being rather cruel (bonobos in captivity have been observed mutilating each other and engaging in bullying behavior; they're our closest living relatives, if that says anything, heh). But yeah, nowhere near the multitude or magnitude of humans.

Soft Serve
07-15-2009, 04:34 PM
There are examples of non-human animals being rather cruel (bonobos in captivity have been observed mutilating each other and engaging in bullying behavior; they're our closest living relatives, if that says anything, heh). But yeah, nowhere near the multitude or magnitude of humans.

I can say I would rather be faced with a douche trying to tortue me then a lion though. I know at least how to fight a douche...A lion is pretty much lights out.

emblasochist
07-15-2009, 11:44 PM
I can say I would rather be faced with a douche trying to tortue me then a lion though. I know at least how to fight a douche...A lion is pretty much lights out.

With both, the appropriate solution is MORE DAKKA!

tesral
07-16-2009, 06:56 AM
With both, the appropriate solution is MORE DAKKA!

I prefer a bullette to the head myself. After all you drop an armored beast that big on either a lion or a douche and they are not getting back up.

emblasochist
07-16-2009, 07:07 AM
I suppose both are appropriate, but I see dropping bullettes a bit more difficult than even grossly inaccurate firepower, assuming you have a large number of bullets. I say that because hollow-points are more accessable than a 15 ton beast that has yet to be seen on this earth.

tesral
07-16-2009, 07:11 AM
I suppose both are appropriate, but I see dropping bullettes a bit more difficult than even grossly inaccurate firepower, assuming you have a large number of bullets. I say that because hollow-points are more accessable than a 15 ton beast that has yet to be seen on this earth.

But a lot less fun.

emblasochist
07-16-2009, 07:40 AM
I must disagree... Let me direct you to this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/GAU-8_meets_VW_Type_1.jpg).

It's a gatling gun that is currently in service in the USAF... Things like it suggest that there can be no such thing as too much DAKKA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GAU-8_meets_VW_Type_1.jpg

Skunkape
07-16-2009, 08:29 AM
We use real trees every year, can't beat the smell of real pine. We also stopped putting the tinsel on the lower 2' of the tree so the cat vomit is less ... certainly not gone, but less.

The lower 2' trick didn't work with my cats, they climbed the damn tree!:laugh:

Oh and the animal cruelty parts, well let's just say I'm not civil when dealing with people who are cruel to animals!:mad:

But considering what humans do to each other, it doesn't surprise me what some humans will do to animals. Don't get me wrong, I don't go the other way with the whole you shouldn't kill animals for food, etc, etc, but there's no reason why human beings should do some of the things that get done to animals! Cat in the microwave, etc, etc.

tesral
07-16-2009, 09:33 AM
I must disagree... Let me direct you to this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/GAU-8_meets_VW_Type_1.jpg).

It's a gatling gun that is currently in service in the USAF... Things like it suggest that there can be no such thing as too much DAKKA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GAU-8_meets_VW_Type_1.jpg

The gun in the A-10. I like it. Big massive firepower over compensating for something.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-16-2009, 09:50 AM
[/quote]Artificial. As much as we like the real tree I'm no longer able to help get it and my wife breaks out from touching them.[/quote]

tesral and i agree here. With me, it has always been fake trees. I grew up on them. They look exactly the same every year, they don't bring in the bugs, not messy, not a fire hazard, so who could ask for anything more. And if you are partial to that fresh pine tree smell(i'm not), then you can purchase can of said smell and spray your tree daily.

[/quote]Real tree, the smell of cookies baking and the old Crooner himself singing "White Christmas". Fast in a warm house while snow gently falls in silent beauty.[/quote]

Speaking of cookies, i do miss making sugar cookies, cutting them with the cookie cutter, then putting the decorative candies on top, mmm.

emblasochist
07-16-2009, 03:09 PM
The gun in the A-10. I like it. Big massive firepower over compensating for something.

Yeah. The aim of a stormtrooper. :p

Soft Serve
07-16-2009, 03:34 PM
ROFL those poorly trained troopers...

Panthro82
07-18-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm sure those helmuts arent very condusive to shooting. Thats why their aim is horrible.

Soft Serve
07-18-2009, 02:15 PM
those helmets are amazing. They hydrate you and cool you off and stuff, and are apparently really comfy.

Panthro82
07-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Oh yea another knock for the real trees is what happens in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Live rodents in Christmas trees = disaster.

tesral
07-22-2009, 11:17 PM
The farm we got ours at (until we stopped) shook out the tree and put a sock on it for transport. Yea, some interesting things came out of those trees. I do miss it, but not to the point I want poor Sue breaking out.

Panthro82
07-23-2009, 01:06 AM
I wonder who came up with Christmas in July?

Soft Serve
07-23-2009, 01:57 AM
I usually blame Peyton Manning for stupid ideas. Cause it's fun...

So Peyton Manning.

traesin
07-23-2009, 04:49 AM
I wonder who came up with Christmas in July?

retail stores. July is normaly the low point in the fiscal year. They started it to bring up sales. it' the same reason why You start seeing Christmas stuff in Oct. they want it sold before it goes clearance.

tesral
07-23-2009, 10:05 AM
And Sears K-mart are taking it to the next low. They don't have Christmas in July, they have Christmas STUFF out in July.

Panthro82
07-23-2009, 03:27 PM
I like Christmas and all but to me it reminds me of snow and cold weather. Not swimming pools and heat waves.

Soft Serve
07-23-2009, 04:37 PM
aww I want to start a crimp about Christmas in July.

Panthro82
07-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Christmas in July is for people who have forgotten how much of a pain that holiday is up until Christmas Eve.

tesral
07-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Christmas in July is for people who have forgotten how much of a pain that holiday is up until Christmas Eve.

Only if you let them get your goat dude. I don't let them (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/garden/Christ_child.html).

emblasochist
07-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Wow, tes. That was really touching. I had thought the same things once or twice, but I never really took the thought to heart. The idea that the essence of Christmas doesn't belong to a time or a place, or even a group of people; that Christmas is supposed to be a celebration of life for all people of all ages across all epochs in time. That Christmas isn't about the gift you give someone, but trutly that you even enjoy the times you have spent with a person. I've stopped asking for things when it is generally accepted in American society (my brithday and Christmas) because I feel that these events are no better a reason to express your love and appreciation for someone than doing it completely randomly. Nowadays, if I want something, I work at it to get it myself. I do this because not only do just feel wrong about accepting gifts, but I want to point out to my family that I feel that those days are not any better days to give someone a gift than any other day. Just because the earth has made another rotation around a relatively fixed point isn't a reason to show someone you care about them; every day is.

Panthro82
07-23-2009, 10:46 PM
I looked at a lot of days as Christmas at my 2nd to last job. I would wake up and decided I wanted to "gift" myself an unexpected day off :) I never felt that bad cause the job really sucked! And honestly I love Christmas eve. That is the best part of Christmas to me. That night has always been my favorite of the year. Partly because I get together with my family and get sodded :laugh: and then we laugh all night long.

XeroDrift
09-21-2009, 11:24 PM
ehh... Roots?

tesral
09-21-2009, 11:24 PM
A floor, it's been a lousy year.

Soft Serve
09-24-2009, 04:40 PM
A floor, it's been a lousy year.

So christmas is almost up again...

New tree thread or do we just recycle this one?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Being an xmas fan, i'm pleased about it. BTW, fake trees all the way.

tesral
09-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Being an xmas fan, i'm pleased about it. BTW, fake trees all the way.

And I thought you would prefer a dead one. :lol:

We have done artificial since Sue starte breaking our from handleing the real tree.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Fake is dead, in a manner of speaking. Besides, Thoth no like fire potential.

tesral
09-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Fake is dead, in a manner of speaking. Besides, Thoth no like fire potential.

Overstated. You cannot get the tree to burn with lights alone. Kiln dried, 2500 watts of lighting, nope, would not burn. Bad wiring can burn any tree, real or fake. Keep your wiring safe and within the limits of the circuit. Better, use a fused extension cord for the tree.

Sue and I went back to the F4 bulbs of the old days for the look. They run so cool you can hold a lit bulb in your hand. That was the seller for me. They had the example string running all day and I could hold the bulb in my hand.

-Crash-
09-25-2009, 12:07 AM
My parents told me Santa didn't exist from the beginning. They just encouraged me to play along with everyone else, and not to spill the secret. They felt it would teach me to respect knowing that my family are the ones giving gifts to me, not some fat guy in a sled. For me at least it worked, I think. Plus it made me feel smarter than all my other first and second grade colleagues.

traesin
09-25-2009, 02:54 AM
I have a 4 inch tree that has fake like snow on it. don't have room for anything bigger. can't even hang my ornaments on it.

XeroDrift
09-25-2009, 04:29 AM
So you live in a Yugo? :car:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-25-2009, 08:10 AM
I have a 4 inch tree that has fake like snow on it. don't have room for anything bigger. can't even hang my ornaments on it.
Nothing wrong with that, traesin. I have a 2.5 footer that spins in a circle.

I do miss normal size trees.

traesin
09-25-2009, 08:45 AM
So you live in a Yugo? :car:

close. about a 600 sq ft apt. with a HUGE sectional couch. it will sleep 2 very comfortably.

metaliturtle
09-25-2009, 09:32 PM
My first X-mas my parents were so poor they drove to a local nature preserve, cut down a 1-foot sapling and put it on the kitchen table. I hope to have a tree for me and my wife this year, last year we went without.

XeroDrift
09-28-2009, 07:44 AM
close. about a 600 sq ft apt. with a HUGE sectional couch. it will sleep 2 very comfortably.

Huge sectionals are awesome, its like all your furniture rolled into one. I had one that contained a fold out bed on one end and a recliner on the other, with room to spare. Wouldnt mind having another one of those under my tree, only I would need a hell of a tree. Plus, multiple people crashing at my place simultaneously isnt quite as common an occurrence as it was a few years ago... but still!

traesin
09-29-2009, 01:07 AM
I would love a plane ticket under my tree to IL. I have a friend there that I haven't seen in years and His mom as been ill and he lost his Dad last year and his Uncle this year.

Soft Serve
10-03-2009, 01:56 PM
I know that feeling actually. Had to drive from PA to IN once to see my Great G-ma before she passed. She was already hospitalized when we got there, and a little comatose so she didn't talk, but we saw her.

I think this year under my tree I want one of those Tempur-Pedic mattresses (which probably would not fit under a tree.) So I can get off the floor in my room, and sleep on something comfy.