PDA

View Full Version : The World & Game

tesral
12-15-2008, 02:03 PM
It is the Year of Our Lord Thirteen Hundred and Sixty. Edward III is on the throne of England and France, and there is peace with Avalon if not with those bastards in France that deny His rightful rule.

The Black Death is a generation in the past but it's ravages are still felt on the land and the fear of the plague is still heavy upon the people. Some still blame the Fair Folk even through in the worst of the plague it was the Prince of Avalon that gave Edward III the key to banishing the dread disease.

The fight for the Holy Land continues, and many are the the Knights that travel forth to do battle with the Turk. Fewer are the Knights that return.

You are the new made Knights of The Earl of Shropshire. Fresh in your honors you now seek to make names for yourselves.

--The World

Jolly Olde England, but magic and fairies are real. Real enough that the Shadow World is considered a nation it it's own right by the Crown, and by the Church. Even if relations with the Church are not that friendly.

Magic does exist, but those that practice it are sanctioned by arguably the most powerful force in the Medieval world, the Roman Church. One dare nor be known publicly as a witch.

Lands outside your own are places where dragons dwell. The world is parochial, prejudiced, superstitious, and bigoted. The center of the world is Jerusalem, look at any map (http://www.einaudi.cornell.edu/ggs/images/maps/map12_large.gif). Asia is a mystery, Africa likewise and the Americas are totally unknown. Ships that sail away from land are doomed to fall of the edge of the world. The stars and planets rotate on crystal spheres and the Earth is the center of the universe.

--The Game

I will start with four players. I think more than that will be unwieldy. Play will be by post. In this forum. Players will be chosen based on -- 1: Speed of application. 2: Interesting and appropriate character idea. Ties are broken by the better character idea.

Posting frequency -- One move a day. Moves will happen whether or not you participate. Players that move too infrequently will be assumed to have died of plague ,and replaced. If for some reason I cannot post daily I will post a note to that effect. If it has been a week and no note, you can assume I have died of plague.

System will be d20, but I will run it as transparently as possible. Good mental visualization will be required and I will be doing drastic cuts to magic and the availability of magic. It's isn't D&D, no +5 swords and fireballs. Don't bother with any combat feats that require you have a map and minis in front of you. Three Core books only.

Combat will not be frequent.

Combat when/if it happens will be by description and visualization, you tell me what you are doing, I roll the dice (if required) and give you the results. The reason is to keep the system as invisible as possible and to speed the resolution of the crunchy stuff that slows down play by post. I am a yes DM. Unless there is a dramatic reason why, the answer is yes. Writing skill is a must. Knowing the rules inside and out, not so much. If they is a conflict between rules and flavor, I am more likely to rule if favor of flavor.

-- Character notes:

To begin with Fighter will be the only class available. Human the only race. Male as well, girls were not allowed to be Knights.

Spell casters will be highly limited. Priests, while eventually available will not have the spell powers one is familiar with. Witches, again are not wizards. The spells will be highly limited.

While non-human races are rumored, no one alive has seen an Elf or a Dwarf, never mind other creatures. It is imagined they live in the Court of Prestor John or in the heart of Cathay.

Some familiarly with Medieval life and attitudes would be helpful to the player, but not required.

Literacy is a non-class skill for everyone except priests, and costs two skill points. Languages can be had for the usual one skill point. Available are English, Welsh, Gallic (Scottish) French. Celtic (Irish), Latin. Literacy must be bought separately with each language.

Everyone is Roman Catholic. Other religions are works of the devil (Whose existence is not in doubt.) While Pagans might exist in the back woods and wild places they are all; witches and should be burned.

More notes will be added as I think of them. Questions will be cheerfully answered in the questions thread.

Jcosby
12-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Tesral, I have a couple of questions. First this game sounds like a lot of fun, I happen to really like this time in English history. I was wondering what type of game you were planning. Will this be a more "noble" type game where the players are noble or born of higher station? Will it revolve more around court intrigue, adventures or battles of the time?

I understand the low magic angle, and you mentioned that players can only be Human, Male Fighters. But you didn't mention if they needed to be Knights, or if they could be Mercenaries, or Man-At-Arms.

Can the players be part of royal families, like a son of William the Good, or Phillip III of France; even if the son would have to be "fictional" maybe a 3rd or 4th son that didn't really exist; maybe a 3rd or 4th son from a Duke or Earl like the Earl of March?

Oh, one last question. Do the characters have to be from England or can they be from France or another country that isn't currently at war with England?

Thanks
JC

tesral
12-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Tesral, I have a couple of questions. First this game sounds like a lot of fun, I happen to really like this time in English history. I was wondering what type of game you were planning. Will this be a more "noble" type game where the players are noble or born of higher station? Will it revolve more around court intrigue, adventures or battles of the time?

This will be determined largely by the actions of the players. The Earl of Shropshire is a minor (and totally fictional) Lord on the edge of the Welsh country. Sherwsbury is the not entirely fictional town in which all this starts. It is home to the Castle and the Abbey of St Helen.

I understand the low magic angle, and you mentioned that players can only be Human, Male Fighters. But you didn't mention if they needed to be Knights, or if they could be Mercenaries, or Man-At-Arms.

And I quote: "You are the new made Knights of The Earl of Shropshire. Fresh in your honors you now seek to make names for yourselves. "

Background for said knights will be up to the players. Anything reasonable for the time period. It is not reasonable for said knights to be the Earl of Shropshire's own sons. Beyond that, I am open to the inventive and historically reasonable.

Can the players be part of royal families, like a son of William the Good, or Phillip III of France; even if the son would have to be "fictional" maybe a 3rd or 4th son that didn't really exist; maybe a 3rd or 4th son from a Duke or Earl like the Earl of March?

Oh, one last question. Do the characters have to be from England or can they be from France or another country that isn't currently at war with England?
Thanks
JC

See above. Anyone that can reasonably be the vassal of the Earl of Shropshire is acceptable, or be the son of the Earl's own Lord, which would be Edward III in person.

I am going to rule out legitimate sons of the King. By-blows are permitted as their being farmed out to minor earls is not unlikely. The King is 48 as of that year. This or that by-blow is not beyond reason.

Characters from beyond England or Wales will require some pretty good backstory to explain them.

Jcosby
12-15-2008, 07:25 PM
And I quote: "You are the new made Knights of The Earl of Shropshire. Fresh in your honors you now seek to make names for yourselves. "

Ok, great I guess I'll work on my reading comprehension. I missed that completely.

Ok, I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks
JC

jayphailey
12-27-2008, 06:46 PM
What was the Game Year, again?

tesral
12-27-2008, 07:14 PM

tesral
12-31-2008, 01:33 AM
A note to all. the Hypertext SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm) is your friend. All rules used will come from that source or my own work. Creating characters should be from the core rules.