PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite deities?

Wulfenstien
12-14-2008, 03:05 AM
You can tell alot about a person from what invisible dude in the sky he or she warships, IN short what are your favorite deities? they can be from any edition.

My absolute all time Favorite Deity is my main man St.Cuthbert from 3.5, bringing true justice to everyone whether they be good or evil, and bringing law to the lawless! St. Cuthbert YOU DA MAN!
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/baylock/Cuthbert_p92.jpg
Nerull (also 3.5) is a close second however, no other Diety is quite as malign as the god of death and murder. The ultimate boogy man to scare the little kiddies with. Ive had much fun with chars who warshipped this baddass.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/baylock/Nerull.jpg

and ive always been a fan of kord and the brothers H (herouneus and hextor)

Bane from 4.0 is pretty cool, what with being the god of conquest and all.

And the raven queen is just awsome cause shes the god of emo's :lol:

tesral
12-14-2008, 10:52 AM
I use all custom and have far too few pictures.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Being an old-school player, i am partial with Lolth, The Spider Queen, The Fickle God.

Early on, there were two Mindflayer(Illithiads) Gods. I would have liked to see more detail written on then, but oh well.

If we are including other fantasy games, then it would have to include WFRP's four Gods of Chaos:

Khorne, The Blood God. God of Death and Murder
Nurgle, God of Desease, Decay, and Entropy. Lord of Pestilence
Slaanesh, God of Excess. Prince of Pleasure and Pain
Tzeentch, God of the Changer of Ways

And the Skaven God:

The Horned Rat, The God of Scheming.

1958Fury
12-14-2008, 01:30 PM
In real life conversation, I sometimes say things like "for the love of Lolth" and "for Lolth's sake", which has led to some funny looks from people.

...Okay, fine, that's not the only reason people look at me funny.

fmitchell
12-14-2008, 02:10 PM
In a way, I prefer OD&D's simplistic "Law" vs "Chaos" (even if it was lifted, badly, from Moorcock). I like the idea of clerics serving some abstract and ineffable power.

From AD&D Deities and Demigods first printing, I like the Cthulhu Mythos (although maybe not their treatment of it) and Xiombarg (a supermodel wielding a sword as big as she is, cool!). I also like the Osiris-Isis-Set-Horus myth (not really explained in the book). The silliest god has to be Blibdoolpoolp; why in the Twin Paradises would fish people worship a nude human female with a lobster head?

My only real experience with 3.x was a Midnight campaign, in which Isrador, Lord of Shadow, was the only god with clerics. I liked the dynamic between a "real" god of oppression and evil vs. the impotent gods who may or may not exist beyond the Veil.

In a way, I like how 4e treats gods: not as active meddlers in human affairs, but foci of worship who can give their clerics and paladins a couple of customized powers. In the brief campaign I played, the GM set up Pelor as a major god of the peasantry, vs. an amalgamated church of all the gods as aspects as a greater, unnamed god.

So, I guess this is a long-winded way of saying I care less about particular gods and more about how they affect the campaign, and the cultures that worship them. A few years ago, I read an RPG.net article called "Keeping the Faith" (http://www.rpg.net/columns/kosher/kosher22.phtml), which argued that D&D focuses on particular gods, and exclusive worship of those gods, when in reality ancient polytheists belonged to a religion and gave offerings to all the gods depending on what they were doing at the moment. Inspired by that essay, I wrote a discussion of gods and religions in RPGs (http://www.frank-mitchell.com/games/rpg-gods.html).

After writing that essay, I decided a good, if perhaps controversial, technique for handling religion in RPGs is to transpose actual medieval religions into your fantasy world, a la GURPS Banestorm, Ars Magica, and Pendragon. One could also drop in a sanitized monotheism for the Abrahamic religions; in non-European fantasy, one would use an approximation of the beliefs of that culture, like Buddhism, Hinduism, Shinto, Navajo religion, etc. Depending on the GM's preferences, said religions could have only social and political power, provide unreliable miracles, or empower all devout believers (who may or may not be priests).

Wulfenstien
12-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Khorne, The Blood God. God of Death and Murder
Nurgle, God of Desease, Decay, and Entropy. Lord of Pestilence
Slaanesh, God of Excess. Prince of Pleasure and Pain
Tzeentch, God of the Changer of Ways

And the Skaven God:

The Horned Rat, The God of Scheming.

Lol dont even get me started on the warhammer gods.

"IT IS BETTER TO DIE FOR THE EMPORER THAN LIVE FOR YOURSELF!," ~Dreadnaught saying

Windrider687
12-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Ao, the Overlord...can't get much better than that...

...either that or my own homebrews - Noth(hizicclxandil), and others.

Etarnon
12-15-2008, 02:11 AM
I hand created a group of gods for a completely new pantheon for my AD&D 2e Campaign. I prefer none of them, specifically.

Dr. Improbable
12-15-2008, 06:39 AM
There is but one God!
He is the Sun God!
RA! RA! RA!

Kalanth
12-15-2008, 07:53 AM
If I had to pick it would be a tie between Paladine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paladine_(Dragonlance)) and Takhisis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takhisis). Always been very partial to Dragonlance and that has only recently taken a back seat to Eberron and my Homebrew world.

Skunkape
12-15-2008, 09:53 AM
I create my own pantheon for my campaign, so my favorite is Dagmar, who is the King of the Gods of Light and is also the God of Creation. His twin brother, Bamori is the King of the Gods of Darkness and is also the God of Destruction.

My gods are loosely based on the Greek/Roman pantheon. Now as far as a published diety, got to go with Cuthbert as well.:D

Kazinsky
12-15-2008, 11:03 AM
I just have to say that the pic in the OP of Nerull rocks! I've never seen that aspect of him. He's always been more of a vile academic. That picture captures a palpable hate, a seething anger over some retribution that he's planning to undertake.

Yummy. :mad:

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
12-15-2008, 01:54 PM
In real life conversation, I sometimes say things like "for the love of Lolth" and "for Lolth's sake", which has led to some funny looks from people.

hahaha, and the two DnDers in the room suddenly exchange a long and significant look, lol

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-15-2008, 03:01 PM

Very cool. I remember having a conversation once in which i was being purposely vague, due to other folks in the room and not wanting them to suspect i was a gamer. Once they left the room, all but one, this one spoke in vague languaging, and in not so many words, to let me know he was a dnd gamer as well. Could it be, after 30 plus years of dnd on this planet, that we have all developed some sort of dnd cant language, not unlike thieves' cant, but without the negative connotation?

Btw, i found this on the internet today. It is a dictionary of Theives' Cant. Upon first glance, it seemed interesting so i plan to revisit it at a alter time.

http://zyanya.wikidot.com/forum/t-80922
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Lol dont even get me started on the warhammer gods.

"IT IS BETTER TO DIE FOR THE EMPORER THAN LIVE FOR YOURSELF!," ~Dreadnaught saying
Go ahead, i dare ya!
--- Merged from Double Post ---
When did our posts merge? I like it!

tesral
12-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Very cool. I remember having a conversation once in which i was being purposely vague, due to other folks in the room and not wanting them to suspect i was a gamer.

I've just reached a point in life were people than think what they will. I make no bones about my hobbies, my toys or much of anything.

I'm a GAMER, no not the wimpy video kind, the FULL ON NERD D&D KIND!!!

Full frontal nerdity all the way.

12-15-2008, 11:18 PM
I've just reached a point in life were people than think what they will. I make no bones about my hobbies, my toys or much of anything.

HAHAHAhaha!

google image search lol

People respect you more when you make no pretense about the degree of your nerdiness, i find. in my small corner of the world

"Full frontal nerdity" very very humorous to me for reasons I cannot in good conscience discuss here

Skunkape
12-16-2008, 08:12 AM

Oh that just dredges up such wrong imagery! Where's the brain bleach!:D

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-16-2008, 08:54 AM

Cant go full-frontal nerd at my work, as much as i like to. Outside of work, well, it's full-frontal nerdity all the way. :D

tesral
12-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Oh that just dredges up such wrong imagery! Where's the brain bleach!:D

Second shelf on the right, next to the spoo.

cplmac
12-16-2008, 12:37 PM
If I had to pick it would be a tie between Paladine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paladine_(Dragonlance)) and Takhisis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takhisis). Always been very partial to Dragonlance and that has only recently taken a back seat to Eberron and my Homebrew world.

To tie into the "real" world, read the conversation between Paladine and Tasselhoff Burrfoot at the end of the "Dragons of Spring Dawning" book. What Paladine says to Tas about what "different" people know him as can tend to lead one to some intellectual thinking.

And saddly, I can remember as a kid in school (back a few decades ago) that a lot of folks deemed D&D as being used only by folks that "worshipped the devil". Fortunately, it has been a long while since I have heard any thing along these lines over in this neck of the woods.

1958Fury
12-16-2008, 12:54 PM
And saddly, I can remember as a kid in school (back a few decades ago) that a lot of folks deemed D&D as being used only by folks that "worshipped the devil". Fortunately, it has been a long while since I have heard any thing along these lines over in this neck of the woods.

Last time I heard it was about 10 years ago, in Bowling Green, KY. A gamer friend of mine was discussing D&D with an older woman. I don't remember her exact words, but it was something along the lines of, "It sounds like you're having fun, but you may not think it was worth it when you're burning in Hell..." And she was totally serious. :eek:

Of course I'd heard it growing up, but it was still astounding. We're talking about making up stories about medeival-themed worlds, influenced more by Greek/Roman mythology than any modern religion. How does that translate into devil worship?

Aidan
12-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Last time I heard it was about 10 years ago, in Bowling Green, KY. A gamer friend of mine was discussing D&D with an older woman. I don't remember her exact words, but it was something along the lines of, "It sounds like you're having fun, but you may not think it was worth it when you're burning in Hell..." And she was totally serious. :eek:

Of course I'd heard it growing up, but it was still astounding. We're talking about making up stories about medeival-themed worlds, influenced more by Greek/Roman mythology than any modern religion. How does that translate into devil worship?

Because the figure of the Devil is based in part on those same pagan gods. The word 'Devil' itself means 'little god'. The horned, goat-hoofed image of Satan is the spitting image of Pan, a very popular god among the commoners.

1958Fury
12-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Because the figure of the Devil is based in part on those same pagan gods. The word 'Devil' itself means 'little god'. The horned, goat-hoofed image of Satan is the spitting image of Pan, a very popular god among the commoners.

Somehow I doubt this woman thought it through that much. It's easier to believe that she thinks D&D is evil simply because her pastor said so, or because she'd heard the urban legends about it.

fmitchell
12-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Somehow I doubt this woman thought it through that much. It's easier to believe that she thinks D&D is evil simply because her pastor said so, or because she'd heard the urban legends about it.

There was a whole anti-D&D campaign in the 80s which spread nearly all of those urban legends, and fed into the "satanic panic" also going on in those years. See the following Wikipedia articles for the basics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Pulling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_tunnel_incident

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_controversies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanic_Ritual_Abuse#As_a_moral_panic

1958Fury
12-16-2008, 03:31 PM
I remember some of that, vaguely. The stupidity of people never fails to surprise me.

Aidan
12-16-2008, 03:40 PM
I remember some of that, vaguely. The stupidity of people never fails to surprise me.

Wizard's First Rule:

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Wulfenstien
12-16-2008, 09:44 PM
From that first wikki article. Do you ever think it crossed that womans mind that the kid might have had deep seated emotional problems? Sounds like he lived in a very opressive household and didnt get much support from his peers.

Anyway that book she wrote "The Devil's Web: Who Is Stalking Your Children For Satan" Kinda sounds like a 3rd party supplement dont it?

fmitchell
12-17-2008, 03:23 AM
From that first wikki article. Do you ever think it crossed that womans mind that the kid might have had deep seated emotional problems?

No.

:focus:

As far as specific gods go, I like the following:

The Gods of Lankhmar: (Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser series) Not to be confused with the Gods in Lankhmar, an ever-changing list of faddish deities, the Gods of Lankhmar were that cities protectors, who would stalk out of their silent tombs in the dead of night to destroy any who would blaspheme them, or who threatened the city.

Arachne Solara: (RuneQuest's world of Glorantha) Continuing the theme of protector gods who aren't explicitly worshipped, Arachne Solara (http://www.glorantha.com/library/prosopaedia/a.html#arachne-solara) ended the God Wars, saved Glorantha from Chaos, and created Time, thus making way for mortal creatures.

Shallya, Goddess of Mercy: (WFRP) The goddess of healing sounds pretty ho-hum, but Tome of Salvation tells a story of a Shallyan priestess who unwittingly spread plague. Thus the Warhammer tradition of life sucking beyond all measure is restored.

Anoia, the Discworld goddess of things that get stuck in drawers, isn't mentioned in any game I know of, but should be.

Dishonorable mention to Om and Nuggan, also of Discworld, creators of their own horrible versions of monotheism. Om inspired a church that took the worst of Abrahamic religions: inquisitions, crusades, subjugation of other nations. Nuggan's holy book was a three-ring binder, since he added new "abominations" on an almost daily basis.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Myrmidia from WFRP and similar warrior-goddesses in the mold of Athena. I just have a thing for warrior women.

Skunkape
12-17-2008, 07:30 AM

My mother's accountant was worried about my mother moving in with me about 2 1/2 years ago when the accountant found out that I played DnD. After all, I was a devil worshipper, but my mother tried to explain to her otherwise, the accountant just didn't understand or change her opinion.

Course, the accountant owns this 10 acre plot of land with a house in the middle of it. She's planning on moving there when the end time comes so she'll be safe!

I've gotten to where I point out things about the game, like most of the monsters are of the evil variety and the basic concept is to fight to stop said monsters, which means the players should be good aligned, but I don't argue to heavily because I realize when someone is being that illogical, you won't be able to change their opinion.

Kalanth
12-17-2008, 08:16 AM
To tie into the "real" world, read the conversation between Paladine and Tasselhoff Burrfoot at the end of the "Dragons of Spring Dawning" book. What Paladine says to Tas about what "different" people know him as can tend to lead one to some intellectual thinking.

I should reread these then. I have not read the first three books since I was about 16 but I do remember their conversation to some extent.

wbrandel
12-17-2008, 12:05 PM
after 30 plus years of dnd on this planet, that we have all developed some sort of dnd cant language

That is possible. with the gamer culture any thing is possible.

With the fave god I would have to go with St. Cuthbert for 3.5 and the Raven Queen for 4E. With Dragonlance it would be Paladine, I like his Fizban persona

tesral
12-17-2008, 12:29 PM
My mother's accountant was worried about my mother moving in with me about 2 1/2 years ago when the accountant found out that I played DnD. After all, I was a devil worshipper, but my mother tried to explain to her otherwise, the accountant just didn't understand or change her opinion..

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.." -- R. A. Heinlein.

Webhead
12-17-2008, 12:51 PM
...My only real experience with 3.x was a Midnight campaign, in which Isrador, Lord of Shadow, was the only god with clerics. I liked the dynamic between a "real" god of oppression and evil vs. the impotent gods who may or may not exist beyond the Veil...

This was one of the appealing elements of the Midnight setting for me as well. Unfortunately, I never got around to fully reading/playing it. The concept was vaguely reminiscent (and, likewise, appealing) of the "Dragon Kings" and their clerics of Dark Sun, where the "other" gods had apparently abandoned the world long ago and the only clerics left served the tyrannical powers that reigned.

...In a way, I like how 4e treats gods: not as active meddlers in human affairs, but foci of worship who can give their clerics and paladins a couple of customized powers...

This pretty well mirrors my thoughts as well, not regarding 4e per se, but regarding fantasy gods as "mysterious embodiments of a set of beliefs". I tended to regard gods in my D&D campaigns as entities so ancient and powerful that they exist within their own reality, scarely aware of the world of the PCs beyond the fact that it is there, like a pebble in their shoe. Likewise, the gods were very distant and impartial when it came to the fates of men and demihumans. They had much more significant things to think about than the concerns, desires and pleadings of the unnoticable ants scrambling beneath their feet.

Clerics in my games would never "meet their god". In all likelihood, their god probably wouldn't even know they exist.

That said, I was never particularly attached to any D&D pantheon, but when pressed for something, I tended to fall back upon the Greyhawk gods both because the pantheon was small enough to be managable and because each god embodied a very broad and classical concept (god of death, god of travelers, god of lies, etc.).

While most D&Ders that I've known seemed to prefer the Forgotten Realms pantheon, I never liked it and never used it in my own games. Too many gods built upon a system of deism that seemed blantantly unprofound.

Skunkape
12-17-2008, 01:57 PM
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.." -- R. A. Heinlein.

I know that quote!:D

cplmac
12-17-2008, 04:31 PM

To tie into the "real" world, read the conversation between Paladine and Tasselhoff Burrfoot at the end of the "Dragons of Spring Dawning" book. What Paladine says to Tas about what "different" people know him as can tend to lead one to some intellectual thinking....

I would have to choose Paladine as my favorite. Especially when he is interacting with the Heros of the Lance as "Fisban".

GrundelSlayer
12-18-2008, 12:39 AM
I would have to say that my fav god would have to be Kord in 4th edition. Practical for adventurers and commoners alike.

12-18-2008, 02:55 AM
Hey Thoth,

It would be great if some of the creative writers on this forum made some sort of DnDer's Cant phrasebook and dictionary.

I have heard it. I know I have. I think WOWers speak it. or a dialect of it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Hey Thoth,

It would be great if some of the creative writers on this forum made some sort of DnDer's Cant phrasebook and dictionary.

I have heard it. I know I have. I think WOWers speak it. or a dialect of it.

That's a great idea, Total Nerd v2.135 (final). Go ahead and start a thread (and leave the thread link here, as well), and lets see what the hive mind, or Borg mind(for you sci fi enthusiasts) of penandpapergames comes up with. Sounds to be a fun experiment. :D

drewshi
12-18-2008, 05:22 PM
I've always been fond of Brigid from the Celts.

shoonvii
12-21-2008, 03:12 AM
Always been partial towards Lathander (now Amaunator), god of the sun - among other things. Goes through phases every few thousand years and is now all about destroying undead.

Zig
12-21-2008, 05:13 AM
humm...

in 2e it was Ares.. my DM always had his worshipers walking around in jet black full plate, taking over cites etc, they were just the ultra bad ass religion in the games of my youth.

later that same DM got infatuated with romans, roman art, and how the romans viewed themselves when compaired with others and wanted to bring them into his D&D world without calling them romans. so he created a new land that suddenly came into being, with a new people known as Dreylanders who had 18-19 for all their stats, got all barbarian stat bonuses, were 7ft tall, and worshiped a god named "Maximus" who created them and the land. was pretty awesome actually. turned out the god had used energy from the positive material to infuse the race and make each of them so supreme, negitive energy killed them nearly instantly and if you wanted to play one you had to pay double exp. was still awesome.

last two are the slightly more serious ones...

Dionysos- yeah god of wine but if you really look into the god its way more interesting than that, god of duality and the dual nature of humans to be loving mothers who might tear their children to peices etc, the spark of life, the maddness in creation/nature, the very first rock star wearing flowing black robes and surrounded by crazy chicks who could kill just about anybody with their hands. Inventor of drama, and the greek rituals were bizzare... in one on his most holy night, all the guys in town leave, and the god (guys now dressed as Dionysos or Pan) show up at women's houses and invite them into the woods for sex, to refuse was to die. lol freak god, Historically he conqured all the way from the med to india and temples are still there dedicated to him (proving it acutally happened, the Olympians supposedly walked the earth leading armies etc and theres actually a lot of proof to suggest that or people pretending to be the gods actually did.) really amazing.

and yeah Eris, and BoB. the other two points of my holy trinity.

fnord

nijineko
12-24-2008, 12:47 PM
in my campaigns, there are Powers with whom characters and npcs make Contracts. the Contracts are how the characters gain access to divine, arcane, and occasionally psionic abilities. sometimes these Powers claim divinity, most don't, a few actively deny it. religion is a matter of belief, and personal preference. the Powers are active, involved, and meddling. and characters WILL run into lesser or greater Powers over the course of a career.

all of my Powers are custom. some of the Powers themselves follow one religion or another, which tends to confuse, anger, or antipathize those who ascribe to the belief that the Powers are Deities.

everyone can read a little bit more about this by following the CoS link in my signature and checking out the campaign background info. =D

Drizzit red
02-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Innanna is a very prominant god in my gaming world....you will not find her in any of the new books though.

She has swayed many to her cause in our world. Players like to have a meeting with a god when they are standing over their players dead body looking down at it and trying to figure out what went wrong.

You would be surprised what they will agree to when a god offers to bring them back...as long as they worship her from now on.

Valdar
02-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Erathis is figuring prominently in my current game. Since Civilization in the world fell to the devils and demons a hundred years ago, she's been the most active in trying to bring it back...

cigamnogard
02-11-2009, 05:57 PM

:lol: I read this about ten minutes ago - I am still chuckling!

Webhead
02-12-2009, 07:37 AM
You know, I have to say that I'm starting to take a shine to the gods of the Sundered Skies setting. Some very interesting ideas going on there, many of them non-stereotypical. The Battlelord, for instance, is the god of war and conflict but also the god of honor and diplomacy. He (and his priests) believe in "the right battle at the right time" and not just wanton death and destruction. It is actually a sin amongst the Battlepriests to kill dishonorably, engage in unnecessary combat or kill foes who are clearly inferior. As a result, virtually all Battlepriests are not only rugged warriors but also fierce negotiators, seeking to resolve conflicts with words before resorting to the sword.

nijineko
02-13-2009, 11:34 AM
that is a fun idea.

templeorder
05-05-2009, 02:39 PM
you cannot beat the truly confusing, contradictory, and epic vision of the real Egyptian mythos. I tend to use these, or flavors of them, in every world i create. I also prefer the more simplistic view of few gods with many aspects. Faith is a huge part of my primary world, without it half of the flavor would be gone. But its faith that ultimately represents ideals - light and dark, law and chaos, life and death... and the promise of the afterlife is something really to be well thought through, otherwise why are these deities being venerated?

yukonhorror
05-05-2009, 02:52 PM
i really liked this one pantheon from 1st edition Dieties and Demigods. Most of the dieties were at best CG, but the most powerful were CE. There was one LG god and his holy symbol was an upward point arrow.

I don't know if this was also part of that pantheon, but all magic items were magic because they were infused with some sort of entity (elemental or demon or whatever).

It was a fun world, because all societies were chaotic in nature (loose rules, bribery and money rule all, sort of like deadwood or mexico :D)

Oldgamer
05-06-2009, 12:59 PM
It's Paladine for me as well, I loved his sense of humor playing the lovable and forgetful Fizban the Fabulous. "Now how did that Fireball spell go again? Oh yes..." BOOM.

The Celtic Arawn would be a close 2nd, but mainly due to one of my favorite, and possibly longest played characters ... a cleric to Him. I play his cool evilness to the hilt, he would even go so far as to get the group killed over not blaspheming. After battles, he goes around and offers Arawn fresh souls of the dead in return for his powers and the use of the corpses. He raises them and has a small and gruesome possey around him at all times. Recently the group made their way through the woods where they were surrounded by a tribe of sorts, the DM said to think of them somewhat as Native Americans of old. The shaman approached and scolded the group for travelling with the likes of the undead (the rest of the group is not evil) and said only the living may pass, and any that travelled with the undead would be killed. The group argued with my character about killing off his undead and he wouldn't do it, "It would be a slap in the face to my Lord. He gives me my powers and he allows me the use of the dead for my bidding ... to kill them would mean certain punishment in the afterlife that I am not willing to do for any of you!" Turning to the shaman he said in an icy voice filled with venom, "And if you follow me and make any attempts on me or my contingency, you and your men will be counted into the ranks of my undead for eternal service!" He turned on his heel and marched he and his undead out of the forest to find another way. Most of the group followed, but 2 decided to stay the course and were allowed to continue as my group is now being pursued by the tribe. He is SO fun to play!

Baron_Samedi
05-17-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm going to have to go with Vecna...of course there are those that contend he isn't a God, just a uber-powerful necromantic wizard so-and-so, but still, given his background and his ascention to apotheosis...and given that the Hand and Eye of Vecna are consistantly two of the most recognized icons of D&D artifacture...and finally...made a Darklord in the Realm of Ravenloft...its an easy choice for me...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-17-2009, 09:00 PM
I've said it before so i will say it again: Lolth. The one and only God of the Female Drow hotties. Mmmm. Who doesn't like challenges?

Moritz
05-18-2009, 11:12 AM
I wish there were more D&D specific gods. I tend to move away from real life mythology (Greek, Roman, Norse...). I want fantasy (D&D) mythology.

Baldwin Stonewood
05-18-2009, 01:07 PM
In Pathfinder, I like Cayden Cailean. The Drunken Hero: god of freedome, ale, wine and bravery. How can you go wrong with that? His battle cry: CHEERS!

Windstar
05-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Mystra was by far my favorite goddess, but with her demise, I must submit to Lolth as Drow are and will ever be a favorite race of mine.

:cool::cool:

:hail:

BrotherDog
05-20-2009, 05:14 AM
It's hard to pick just one for me.

the Traveller
Pflarr
Meridiar
Shaundakul
Finder Wyvernspur
Bahamut - Xymar
Nobanion

Vulture
05-20-2009, 07:17 AM
0. Gary Gygax and Dave Areneson
1. Grummsh
2. Lolth
3. The Raven Queen

GoddessGood
05-20-2009, 08:58 AM
You know, I have to say that I'm starting to take a shine to the gods of the Sundered Skies setting. Some very interesting ideas going on there, many of them non-stereotypical. The Battlelord, for instance, is the god of war and conflict but also the god of honor and diplomacy. He (and his priests) believe in "the right battle at the right time" and not just wanton death and destruction. It is actually a sin amongst the Battlepriests to kill dishonorably, engage in unnecessary combat or kill foes who are clearly inferior. As a result, virtually all Battlepriests are not only rugged warriors but also fierce negotiators, seeking to resolve conflicts with words before resorting to the sword.
Sounds like Jedi, imho ;)

I don't know much about the D&D deities, but Avandra seems pretty cool :).