PDA

View Full Version : Layoffs

MortonStromgal
12-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Well I found out late yesterday that my job will no longer exist after march 2nd. :eek: I am working a couple angles right now but I just wanted everyone to know if I drop off the face of the earth I'm ok I just probably got a new job that isn't as kind to posting at work. :D cheers and I hope and pray none of you get laid off. (this is my first time! I've never had to think about where is that unemployment office before)

Webhead
12-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Tragic news, but I wish you the best of luck in a speedy recovery. Unemployment is not fun nor is it economically condusive to maintaining pricey hobbies. I'm glad to hear that you've got several months advance notice to prepare though, rather than just showing up one morning with a pink slip on your desk.

Take care of yourself and keep posting! :)

Skunkape
12-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Sorry to hear about the layoff, but I hope you find something better, very quickly!

GoddessGood
12-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Good luck, Morton! We're pulling for ya :) You didn't need their stinky money anyway. Oh ... right, money is a good thing. I always forget that :doh:

Grimwell
12-11-2008, 12:05 PM
I've only been laid off once, but it's no fun. Good speed in finding the next job before this one officially ends. At least you have advance notice, that shows some class on the part of your current company.

boulet
12-11-2008, 12:16 PM
I feel for you mate, I'm sure you could do without the stress. I hope you'll find a decent job from now to March. We're all rooting for you.

tesral
12-11-2008, 01:53 PM
That sucks. The Wife and I came out of the good end of that one. I hope you have luck in finding a position. I know how stressful it is.

Freejack
12-11-2008, 02:38 PM
This could be good. After getting "laid off" in The Army, I got a job programming in Basic. You might be the next Bill Joy :D

Carl

mrken
12-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Forgive me if I only repeat what the rest have said, but I wish you luck and fortune in your job search.

Keep us informed as to how you are fairing. Perhaps someone in the area can help with some leads. Anyone have any leads for Morty to follow? One of the wonderful things about the internet, so much of it is virtual, and we can make it tactile when it suits us or we need to. How about we help Morty find a job P&PG'ers!

MortonStromgal
12-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks everyone, My wife and I should be good for a couple months after without any real issues. But I have a lot of personal stuff going on right now that could in fact make this a good thing if we end up moving to another state and/or I have at leased one really good lead that would not only be a great job but a sizable raise (I'm up to the final decision process). I'll keep y'all updated when I know more. Fortunately we have been living off one paycheck for over a year so it should (in theory) be easy for one of us to support the other.

[edit] there has also been the blessing of getting my car totaled by an uninsured motorist (its an old car so i only had coverage for that and liability) It was nice to have two cars but honestly we only need one and now we are down to one and we get a check from the insurance company. Its not a ton of money but heh it will pay bills

Bearfoot_Adam
12-11-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm with you in solidarity. I have not been laid off but I relocated and have now been looking for a new job for 4 months. Just remember to keep strong.

Etarnon
12-12-2008, 03:12 AM
good luck.

cplmac
12-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Sorry to hear this news Mort. Hopefully you get that job that has the raise in pay. Like others have said, at least the current employer has the decency to give you advance notice.

As for the car, I don't know if it is this way in your state, but in PA it is supposed to be against the law to not have auto insurance. Unfortunately it seems that almost daily you hear of instances where this happens to someone and the person responsible has no insurance. They usually have no means to pay for their responsibility too. Trouble is that it seems that they never get in trouble for violating this law. Guess it's one of those uninforced laws for the most part.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Sorry to hear this news Mort. Hopefully you get that job that has the raise in pay. Like others have said, at least the current employer has the decency to give you advance notice.

As for the car, I don't know if it is this way in your state, but in PA it is supposed to be against the law to not have auto insurance. Unfortunately it seems that almost daily you hear of instances where this happens to someone and the person responsible has no insurance. They usually have no means to pay for their responsibility too. Trouble is that it seems that they never get in trouble for violating this law. Guess it's one of those uninforced laws for the most part.

Oh it's enforced if you ever get in auto trouble. Least it is in Ohio. One of my stupid early 20's moments involved getting into an accident when I did not have insurance. Hefty fine, license suspension and it really bumps up your premium.

mrken
12-12-2008, 11:44 AM
I hear that Colorado has more than 50% uninsured motorists. Which is common from what I understand.

bitbucket
12-12-2008, 02:30 PM
I've been laid off twice, the second time when my wife was 5 months pregnant with our first. It can be an awful, frightening, humiliating experience.

It can also be a liberating experience with temporary pain that leads to positive changes. As a result of my second layoff, I had to take a job 300 miles away, starting 3 days after my first son was born. I literally dropped my wife and baby off at home on a Sunday night and drove to Charleston. Fortunately my mother-in-law was there to help!

But...the good news is that it was a defense job. I got my clearance, and transitioned from a developer to a systems engineer. Four years later, I was able to leverage those skills and get a job in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, where all my family is located. If I had stayed in Raleigh-Durham, it may have been years before I found my way back home, if ever.

So there can be a silver lining, but it may take a while to see it. [/sunshine]

Dimthar
12-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Morton ... wish you the best ... take advantage of the advance notice to prepare!

When not working ... try to exercise a lot ... it reduces the stress, you will physically feel better and will keep you in a better mood!.

GoddessGood
12-15-2008, 01:58 PM
I hear that Colorado has more than 50% uninsured motorists. Which is common from what I understand.
It's 75% (documented fact) where I come from (borderlands in Texas). Uninsured motorist coverage is a necessity, not an option. My mom was once hit by a man going 65+ mph out of a school zone (25 mph) into a housing development area (30 to 40 mph). He clipped the back bumper, spun us more than 360 degrees and left rubber tracks in the pavement over a quarter mile long. The officer later told us that not only was he uninsured, but he had several small children in his backseat that were not buckled up. He had been dropping off their older siblings at the school zone he'd just left.

Some people are just nuts.

Morton, try freecycle.org if you need the odds and ends. It's a site dedicated to donating and receiving things that people would normally send to a landfill. Nobody is ever charged and you're not made to feel like you need it to ask for it. I've given away small furniture and a DVD player on freecycle and have received a used bike and a wine rack. *shrug* Every little bit helps, y'know?

Life*Angel*
12-15-2008, 03:31 PM
well my sincere apologies.....
i have a buket of change(last cheked was $34.27) i could spot you it :biggrin:

but you have to promise that once u get that million dollar job you will think of me in your will.....:biggrin:

MortonStromgal
12-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all the support, like I've said its not that bad yet and I have time. I don't usually live paycheck to paycheck but 2008 drained me (which is why I'm kinda nervous, usually I have at leased 3 months of salary in the bank). That should be almost over though and I know how to eat for $2 a meal :D its not fun but I can go along time off what I got if I cut back on expenses. I just have to learn to live poor again. Good news is I think my unemployment will be enough to cover the rent through the lease and then i can move someplace cheaper (not hard)

Life*Angel*
12-17-2008, 08:56 AM
best of luck

GoddessGood
12-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Heh, ramen noodles is like $1 for a carton of 24. I remember eating poor. So much variety :D Do I feel like chicken or pork today? Maybe some jalapeno flavor ...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-17-2008, 11:15 AM
It's 75% (documented fact) where I come from (borderlands in Texas). Uninsured motorist coverage is a necessity, not an option. My mom was once hit by a man going 65+ mph out of a school zone (25 mph) into a housing development area (30 to 40 mph). He clipped the back bumper, spun us more than 360 degrees and left rubber tracks in the pavement over a quarter mile long. The officer later told us that not only was he uninsured, but he had several small children in his backseat that were not buckled up. He had been dropping off their older siblings at the school zone he'd just left.

Some people are just nuts.

Morton, try freecycle.org if you need the odds and ends. It's a site dedicated to donating and receiving things that people would normally send to a landfill. Nobody is ever charged and you're not made to feel like you need it to ask for it. I've given away small furniture and a DVD player on freecycle and have received a used bike and a wine rack. *shrug* Every little bit helps, y'know?
Uninsured motorists in California rank at over 50%, which is why i also carry uninsured motorists insurance. Been hit twice in the last 20 years, both times... yep, you guessed it, by uninsured motorists. So i am sympathetic to your situation.

MortonStromgal
01-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Update, the last of my paperwork should be in by the end of the week and then its just a wait and see if this opportunity works out. :D

nijineko
01-06-2009, 04:16 PM
to quote the movie, "when the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window." ^^ our best wishes for you and yours in this time of change. growth comes from adversity, i hope you find a much improved situation at the end of this path.

MortonStromgal
01-06-2009, 04:23 PM
"when the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window."

and of course my response is always "and you want me to jump? are you crazy! So what if the house is on fire... come on Lord there has to be another way out of this house. Someway that requires less faith"

I'm full of excuses ;)

nijineko
01-06-2009, 04:59 PM
reminds me of the priest who retreated to his roof during a flood, and turned down offers of rescue by two boats and a helicopter saying that God would rescue him, as the waters rose higher and higher. he died. and when he complained to God about it, God said, "i answered your faith and prayers by sending you two boats and a helicopter!"

sometimes, it really is easy. other times, not so. one of those relative viewpoint things i guess. just like time and space.

mrken
01-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Reminds me of Indiana Jones and his leap of faith.

Deny
01-13-2009, 10:23 PM
@OP: This may not be a huge help, but hopefully it will make things go easier. In my town unemployment can be processed over the internet. This means you never have to go stand in line. I'd check it out to see if it's the same in your town.

@Those of you who stole this thread for insurance: I work for an insurance agency (dealing with technical issues, not the actual insurance) and I can tell you simply why uninsurance rates are so high. The cost of insurance is too high and it's only getting worse. I work with a man that said he went without insurance for three years and even with the fines he had to pay it was cheaper than actually having insurance. When we asked him what he'd do if he ever got into an accident he said, "I only have liability now, so I'd do the same thing. Pay to fix my car. Only difference is with insurance my rates go up."

Perhaps rather than raking us over the coals with insurance they need to focus on better educating people on how to drive and not letting crazy people drive.

I'm just waiting for all of those kids who can't get their license until they're 18. I live in a college town and not only are they going to have to learn how to drive but they're also going to have to learn how to deal with crappy campus drivers.

Whoever thought a solution to poor teenager records was to shift the blame to young adults was a moron.

cplmac
01-14-2009, 11:23 AM
First, here's hoping that you get that job Morton!:thumb:

@ Deny. I didn't think we were talking about the insurance industry itself, but instead those, like the guy you said didn't have insurance for 3 years and don't get into enough trouble to make it cheaper to have insurance like required by law. When it is cheaper to break the law, I guess there will be no fix anytime soon. Sorry if it seemed like we were complaining about the folks that work in the insurance field, that was not what we intended it to sound like.:sorry:

:focus:

Deny
01-14-2009, 08:19 PM
First, here's hoping that you get that job Morton!:thumb:

@ Deny. I didn't think we were talking about the insurance industry itself, but instead those, like the guy you said didn't have insurance for 3 years and don't get into enough trouble to make it cheaper to have insurance like required by law. When it is cheaper to break the law, I guess there will be no fix anytime soon. Sorry if it seemed like we were complaining about the folks that work in the insurance field, that was not what we intended it to sound like.:sorry:

:focus:

To clear this up (because it sounds like I was misunderstood), I was not attempting to act offended. I was not offended. I was just making fun because the topic had been stolen and we went into insurance.

The only point I was trying to make was that I work in the field and even I think it's silly to have insurance sometimes with how easy it is to get away without. You just have to make sure you don't get in accidents.

I disagree with just as much as the rest of you do even though I work for (and strongly support) an insurance company. It's ridiculous what they put us through and I really feel that they need to re-evaluate what their goals are.

GoddessGood
01-16-2009, 09:13 AM
How's it looking for you these days, Morton? My beau was just informed he won't be hired on at the end of his contract after all ... and we just moved into a bigger (read: more expensive) apartment :o. January is a 3 paycheck month for me (I get paid every two weeks), so we're ok for now. Seems like things just get rockier and hard-placier in this economy.

MortonStromgal
01-16-2009, 11:59 AM
I should know something about the prospect by mid February. Its mostly a done deal but there are some final things that need approving before I can start. I'm trying not to get nervous and look elsewhere till that is done. My mom works for the state and I can tell you her stuff is on hold until they find out from the feds so it will probably be 6 months before we can expect even a marginal turn around.

nijineko
01-21-2009, 04:30 PM
eek, hang in there! really hope it turns out well!

MortonStromgal
01-28-2009, 03:33 PM
No kidding with Starbucks, Boeing and Microsoft having layoffs if this doesn't work out I will be in for some competition!

Traxxus
01-28-2009, 04:17 PM
I was laid off in September of last year by Time Warner Cable. There were about 350 of us total in Texas that got the axe. I landed on my feet though, and had a job with Cisco Systems by early October. However, I have been laid off 4 times in the last 12 years. I know what your going through. Just hang in there.

GoddessGood
01-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Heh, can Cisco use a linux/unix sysadmin? I've got one "bumming" off me, looking for a job :). There's a Cisco plant right across the street from us in Richardson.

Traxxus
01-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Cisco has a hiring freeze right now, but much of Scientific Atlanta and Cisco Technology related to Video on Demand and Access Control for settops is based off solaris and unix. Tell him to apply in about 2 month. They are set to lift the freeze around then.

MortonStromgal
02-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Well I am completely on edge as I wait, the first day I could have possibly known was today and its no dice. I should know by next Wednesday but its moving at the speed of government. Meanwhile my March 2nd end date looms ever closer. :violin:

MortonStromgal
03-02-2009, 06:50 PM
:D I got my job!!!!! Thanks everyone for your support!

mrken
03-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Woot!!! Congrats there. We just got back from celebrating my wife's new raise. See, there are good things happening for some people.

cplmac
03-02-2009, 09:45 PM
HORRAY!!! About time something works out on the side of the good guys!:clap2::clap2:

Talmek
03-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Awesome Morton! Good goin' man!

boulet
03-03-2009, 07:06 AM
That's great, nightmare over ! I hope it's a good job too.

DragonPrince
03-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Well the funny thing is I got fired for not selling enough lawn service packages ( in winter)! Plus if you have the choice of cable, phone, food, or lawn service which one would u give up with how things are going in the US right now??...Me personally would not have a lawn service. So I am on the job hunt again...LOL...

GoddessGood
03-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Hooray for Morton! Boo for evil Lawn Service Company! Let's have caek! :caked:

MortonStromgal
03-03-2009, 09:59 AM
I hope it's a good job too.

Well I've been after it for a little over a year so its considerably better.

1. Better Title (was IT Technician now Network Admin)
2. Better Health Insurance (was 80% coverage, now 100% coverage)
3. Better Pay (20% raise)

:biggrin:

Well the funny thing is I got fired for not selling enough lawn service packages ( in winter)! Plus if you have the choice of cable, phone, food, or lawn service which one would u give up with how things are going in the US right now??...Me personally would not have a lawn service. So I am on the job hunt again...LOL...

Sales suck, I wish for you the best. Its a job I could never do and so vital to keeping people employed.

Freejack
03-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Sorry for the lateness. Congrats. Always glad to see another IT job get taken :) We were out celebrating my raise and pretty good review this weekend. While we in IT don't always get recognition, I do like it when at least management understands about maintenance necessities. We went from a poor rep and moderately crazy on-call to a great rep and very good on-call after I arrived and implemented new processes.

Carl

nijineko
03-16-2009, 03:25 AM
well, it seems like it is my turn. i've joined the ranks of the job-seekers, yet again. =P

at least i received the lay-off with a glowing recommendation letter, and kindness from the staff. the bite of it is that the reason i was laid-off was that the sacramento office can't sell worth anything, and has run out of work. being that they are the corporate headquarters and didn't want to lay-off any of their non-successful, non-productive employees, so they had our office send up some of our work to them, so they would have something to do, and required us to lay-off an employee.... and i was the recent-hire.

sigh. my boss and the general manager are ticked because the sacramento office constantly turns out sub-standard work that we, or rather now, they are going to have to spend extra hours fixing before it can be turned over to the client. might have something to do with the not selling bit, you think?

ma iiya. saru mo ki kara ochiru. (oh well. even monkeys fall from trees.)

so now i'm polishing up my linkedin profile and resume and hoping for the best. =D and should things change, i have been promised my job back. so that's something for the future. and we'll always have roleplaying. ^^

MortonStromgal
03-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Prayers are with you. Didn't you just move to California?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Yep, it's kind of tough at the moment. I'm currently working on my MBA-"A" average, and i cant even get a call back with my resume. I've been playing with the idea to pick up some computer certifications like MCP, A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE, and something else. Heck, computers are a hobby of mine. The only thing holding me back is that i would have to dip into my savings to do it. It's a risk, pay for the certifications and be nearly tapped out on living expenses, or take the risk and get the certifications(something i always wanted to do anyway, and continue to do). Ordinarily, i'd gladly take a risk, but it seems things will be getting a bit worse before getting better. Any opinions or suggestions?

I'd take the risk and travel the Underdark with a party(dnd world), but living on the streets doesnt appeal to me.

Bearfoot_Adam
03-18-2009, 11:54 AM
If you are in school and you can do it stay in school

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-18-2009, 12:01 PM
I can stay in school, i can even get all these certs, but once completed, having tapped my emergency savings, that would only give me a couple of months to find a job, if i havent found one yet, that is. I'm conflicted. ha! I always wanted to try out that word in the sentence. Now that i think about it, i can try out a line i've always wanted to use but couldnt find an appropriate time, here it goes: My situation both sucks and blows.

Whataya know, this is turning out to be a pretty good day.

MortonStromgal
03-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Personal Opinion

I would stay away from the certs unless you have some experience to back them up.

In my experience they are great to raise the pay scale but do nothing to get you the job itself.

No real facts other than my own experience

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Have no "official" experience other than working on friends computers, rebuilding computers, troubleshooting computers (software and hardware), and dealing with troublesome home networks. So yeah, not alot of experience that would count for anything. I appreciate the advise, MortonStrongal.

How did you get into the field, i am curious? Is it kind of a good-'ole-boys... and girls, club, where you hire friends and family... and ex-military. How would someone like myself get into the field for it seems technology is the future. Thanks for any and all information.

GoddessGood
03-19-2009, 09:15 AM
I once saw a $15 an hour job at circuit city with the only qualification as: Must be A+ certified. Now Circuit City is no more. I wish you all the best of luck. My own brother is in school now for Computer Science. He wants to be a sysadmin when he grows up. After watching my boyfriend and father struggle to find that very job, I worry about my brother's chances. He's not exactly a social genius and can't motivate himself, so finding a job for him is going to be really tough.

InvestFDC
03-19-2009, 04:46 PM
It's like the last 27 years of economic gain has been erased in the last 3-4 months. Brutal. Save every dime, if the economy doesn't get you in the next year or so, the taxes after that will!!!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-19-2009, 08:13 PM
It's like the last 27 years of economic gain has been erased in the last 3-4 months. Brutal. Save every dime, if the economy doesn't get you in the next year or so, the taxes after that will!!!
You can say that again, for there will be a wave of taxes in the next few years that will effect everyone.

MortonStromgal
03-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Have no "official" experience other than working on friends computers, rebuilding computers, troubleshooting computers (software and hardware), and dealing with troublesome home networks. So yeah, not alot of experience that would count for anything. I appreciate the advise, MortonStrongal.

How did you get into the field, i am curious? Is it kind of a good-'ole-boys... and girls, club, where you hire friends and family... and ex-military. How would someone like myself get into the field for it seems technology is the future. Thanks for any and all information.

Let me give you a little background, I was a music major who then moved to computer science to my mom happy. My senior year when I was in an advanced programing class and they started going over basic functions I dropped out because its stupid. I wish at the time I had been smart enough to get at leased a general studies BA, because in the next 3 years (when I have 8 years under my belt of paid XP) I will hit the wall where not having a 4 year degree will be a big disadvantage. I am just now hitting stumbling blocks where not having certs raises eyebrows.

Now to your question
Combination of books, fixing friends computers, and Volunteer work. The couple years of volunteer work was enough to get IBM to interview me and then the years of working with computers and reading books got me through the interview. From there I've just busted my bum and kept on studding. If you start volunteering now at a library, community center, church, etc you have a great shot of getting your foot in the door when the economy turns around.

I moved through the job ranks of IBM pretty quick then I left to be the sole computer guy for a company of about 50 employees. I felt the breath of knowledge I would gain would be invaluable as IBM and other large companies you tend to learn to do one thing very well. It was a good move overall, and frankly helped me to get my current job.

Looking back on my career I would tell a highschooler who wanted to be an admin to...
If your going to get a cert get it in highschool and get you MCSE and CISCO forget the rest
Then work a couple years of help desk earn some dough
Now go get your 4 year degree in Computer Science, take the easiest and quickest way through dont worry if its just a web programing stuff, the programing skills are all your after (oh and that slip of paper)
Take a basic programing job for 2 years work on renewing those certs
Take a small business do everything job for 4 years work on your SQL and UNIX certs
Get an MBA and update any certs you need
Go work wherever the heck you want.

nijineko
03-19-2009, 11:39 PM
oh, and while we're at it... don't forget to purchase your books on basics of technology and self-sufficiency, stock up on food, water, and other basics. cause when the emp shockwave blows through, it'll cause a pretty big mess. ^^

seriously though: thank you for the kind words, and yes, i just moved from florida to california to take the job that just laid me off. ^^ ironic.

tesral
03-20-2009, 02:07 AM
seriously though: thank you for the kind words, and yes, i just moved from florida to california to take the job that just laid me off. ^^ ironic.

That totally sucks.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-20-2009, 03:48 AM
oh, and while we're at it... don't forget to purchase your books on basics of technology and self-sufficiency, stock up on food, water, and other basics. cause when the emp shockwave blows through, it'll cause a pretty big mess. ^^

That really does suck. You staying here in California, or are you going to move back to Florida?

boulet
03-20-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm really sorry for you Nijineko, it must be a very gloomy time. Best of luck turning the situation around.

Freejack
03-20-2009, 03:34 PM

Personally I just flowed into it but I probably started way back farther than most others that are here.

Professionally I was a Graphics Artist. I started off in the Military Police then transferred to being a Graphics Artist. I was exposed to computers in '79 in the form of a Typesetter, a CompuGraphic EditWriter. And a service tech to let me peek into the innards. In 1980 or so I learned how to write Radio Shack Color Computer Basic so I could create a vehicle generation program for Car Wars.

I learned a bunch about programming in Basic while writing that program and a few others. Then I got a part time job maintaining BASIC programs on several computer types.

I went to full time maintaining a funeral home package written in basic. It also included installing LANs and teaching folks how to back up systems and manage their network.

Next was a full time LAN Admin and installer. Then telephone tech support, database programming and then a LAN admin again. Got my 3Wizard certification then (my first cert). That was 9 years after I first plopped down in front of a computer.

From there I worked as a LAN Admin at Johns Hopkins APL. Then to NASA Headquarters as a LAN Admin. At NASA I moved into Windows NT then Unix systems administration in 97. I got my next cert then. Sun Certified. In 2000 I got my Cisco CCNA/CCNP cert. That was 17 years after getting in front of a computer (jeez).

I worked at IBM for a couple of years. Technically it was great but I finally left. Now I'm a Senior Unix Admin with 29 years of experience. I've programmed in Basic on several platforms, C, Perl, and now I'm mucking about with PHP, MySql, and Javascript. I've admined 3 networks (Novell, 3Com, and Microsoft) and 7 Unix OS's (Irix, Linux, OpenBSD, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, and Tru64).

I've also been screwing about with computers as a hobby during that entire time. Programming, building computers, LAN parties, gaming systems, and now I have 11 computers at home and pay for a colocated OpenBSD server in Florida.

Oh, and no college to speak of (half a class of C before I bailed because I already knew what they were teaching and a class of Algebra because I wanted to :) ).

But I'm probably not the best example :D

No nepotism though, at least not at the places I've worked at. Generally I'm looking for someone who can do the job regardless of who they might know.

Good luck in your search.

Carl

nijineko
03-20-2009, 04:06 PM
That totally sucks.

That really does suck. You staying here in California, or are you going to move back to Florida?

I'm really sorry for you Nijineko, it must be a very gloomy time. Best of luck turning the situation around.

thank you all. i believe it will work out. we're hoping to stay in california. it would be nice to stay somewhere for a while. we'll see where we are called to go next! =D

In 1980 or so I learned how to write Radio Shack Color Computer Basic so I could create a vehicle generation program for Car Wars.

yea!!! fun game. i still have my dad's copy of autoduel. ^^ need to pick up another set of carwars. mine fell to the wayside somewhere along the many moves.

Freejack
03-20-2009, 04:13 PM
yea!!! fun game. i still have my dad's copy of autoduel. ^^ need to pick up another set of carwars. mine fell to the wayside somewhere along the many moves.

http://www.shadowrun.us/php/carwars.php

:D

Carl

MortonStromgal
03-21-2009, 01:32 AM
But I'm probably not the best example :D

I think your a pretty typical example, you get into it, then get the certs and then some get the college. The college is really for if you want to get into management at some point though some Senior positions will be a lot tougher to make it to the interview without it. The education (certs/degree) tends to not be something to get your foot in the door, rather something to give you an edge over your peers as you go for higher level jobs.

thank you all. i believe it will work out. we're hoping to stay in california. it would be nice to stay somewhere for a while. we'll see where we are called to go next! =D

keep us updated! I wish I could say move here but the bad times are really hitting Seattle for the first time right now (we always lag behind everywhere else for good and bad times).