PDA

View Full Version : PM Limit

Soft Serve
12-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Apparently there's a limit on the number of personal messages you can send to other site members. I found this out the fun way half-way through a conversation...

So I have a few questions about it. Is it because too many PM's will make the site run slow, or to stop people from randomly messaging advertisements, or for some other purpose? Does the count increase as you spend more time on the site? And can we put something like a warning before cutting off messages? Like, something so that you can tell people you've about hit your daily limit, instead of abruptly cutting it short?

If this post comes off as bitter it's not intended too, I was just caught by surprise. I've been to forum sites before but I've never had to deal with PM limits.

So any answers here are much appreciated.:)

boulet
12-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Here is the explanation (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4932).

mrken
12-11-2008, 09:17 AM
It's just because you are on a computer and it only knows 0's and 1". It doesn't know that you are a great guy and that you don't have a malicious bone in your body. As soon as it figures out that you are really a great human being by using it's pre-programed mathematics, you will be given much more freedom. Until then enjoy your Lurker status. lol

Farcaster
12-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Sorry, Soft Serve, but yeah, that limit is to prevent spammers from joining and sending out mass-PMs. That is a good idea you have though about warning about the number of messages you have left to send in a day. Thanks for the suggestion, and I will look into implementing it.

cplmac
12-11-2008, 08:20 PM
This is one of Farcaster's good ideas. It has come in helpful in the fact that its has served it purpose in weeding out spammers. I would suggest that if you are going to be in a longer conversation, then all the people invovled in the conversation could use the chat feature on the site here. No limit on how much you talk there. This will also keep from using up all your PM's quickly.

mrken
12-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Cplmac, you took the words right out of my mouth about the chat function. And Soft Serve, don't forget to go back occasionally and clean out your PM's. They can fill up fast and then you will find you can't send any more until you do some house cleaning.

cplmac
12-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks mrken. I had forgotten about the space limitation on how many PMs can be stored, eventhough I do clean mine up about once a week.

Soft Serve
12-12-2008, 08:46 PM
I clean mine after it fills to 25. Thanks though everyone here got the question answered for me.

I think I've said it before but this has to be the most helpful forum I've ever been on so yeah, thanks again.

nijineko
12-15-2008, 12:03 PM
that's us. the "what-other-forums-should-be-for-user-friendliness" forum. =D

Life*Angel*
12-15-2008, 12:15 PM
its biast.....like all computers.......simply biast.

nijineko
12-16-2008, 12:26 PM
was that blast? or bias? or bast? or something else? ^^